ADVERTISEMENT

Hypothetical College Football Super League

Capdanjou

Redshirt Freshman
Sep 14, 2020
I assume many of you have read about the Euro Super League discussion. It's stirring quite a bit of controversy. Anyway, a few ESPN writers imagined what a college football super league might look like. It's BS, of course, but still grabs eyeballs. Seems to me there is a recognition of the Nebraska name and the money the program can generate. Still, they all have us on the outside looking to buy our way in to this mythical super league.

Honestly, seems inevitable. I read that article yesterday. Kind of comical that greedy American owners are driving it. France and Germany, two countries with excellent soccer, are not having it.

I chalk this up as another reason major sports are in decline.

Andy Staples of The Athletic was the first to do a college football super league article, everyone else is now running with it. The Huskers made the cut in that article. Link below if anyone is a subscriber.

CFB Super League

Yeah...but will the fans allow it...or will the notion's enthusiasm die the next morning like the effects of a losing "own goal?"

Last edited:
To be honest, my interest in college football focuses more on conference games than the hype surrounding the playoff. Would I feel differently if Nebraska were a title contender? Maybe. Intersectional games can be fun. Bowl games are fun. But the tradition of the college game was always about the conferences. That's been changing and I don't much care for it.

Reactions: Oldie but goodie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT