ADVERTISEMENT

Huskers playing the Big Penguini's in 2017 and 2020

73HUSKER

Senior
Jan 8, 2004
The Big Penguini's return to Lincoln. This could be fun.

he Nebraska Cornhuskers announced today that they have come to an agreement with Youngstown State for a home-and-home series that will begin in 2017. The Huskers will host the Penguins in 2017 before playing at Youngstown State in 2020. The 2017 meeting will mark the first match-up between the two schools. The 2020 meeting will be the first time Nebraska has played a road game against an FCS school.

"We had an immediate opening that needed filled in 2017, and this achieves that for us," Nebraska head coach Mike Riley said. "We'll go anywhere and play anyone. Youngstown State is one of the premiere FCS teams in the country, and as McNeese State proved last year, there are no guarantees once you get two teams on the field. This will be a competitive series, and that's what we want--to compete."

The 2017 game fills out Nebraska's non-conference schedule, which already includes Oregon and Northern Illinois.

"This is something that we never had the chance to do at Oregon State," Riley said. "With our facilities and lack of television exposure, nobody would come to Corvallis. This is an opportunity we gladly embrace."

Nebraska fans will undoubtedly be waiting for a chance to witness Penguins head coach Bo Pelini on the opposing sideline after Pelini's tumultuous seven-year tenure in Lincoln.

"I'm not going to comment any further than to say that this is a good chance for both schools," Pelini said. "I'm happy we could make this happen. But at the end of the day, the opponent doesn't matter. We can't point to a specific opponent. We have to point the thumb and figure out ways to make ourselves better and to make Youngstown State a better program."

This was an April Fool's joke from last year. Nebraska would never play an FCS school on the road. Also, 2017 schedule is already set. Plus, I believe going forward B1G conference guidelines at least frown upon, if not outright prohibit scheduling FCS schools.

Reactions: newAD
Bo should swallow and admit he still has some love and gratitude for the Huskers. Conducting himself well with this; is a real opportunity to get him back to the next level.

So, let me get this straight: there are people that actually believe this is true? Just checking...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT