ADVERTISEMENT

Huskers offer 2022 QB Steve Angeli

No, it is worse...

Those offenses were actually designed for a statue...

This offense is not.
pro-style = statue now

this kid, like the others, can move well enough to hurt a defense when they're not expecting it.

this offense, when we've seen it at its best, does not rely on designed QB runs to move the ball. requiring a dual-threat QB is stone-age thinking, IMO.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
interesting:

so far Frost & co have offered 8 2022 QBs. only 1 is listed as dual threat.
So you have to ask yourself if some of these late offers seem like desperation moves.. ie coming in so late on guys that already have a ton of offers.

OR

Is there a change in what they are looking for?

I'm starting to lean toward more of the latter, although I'm not sure we have the WR room yet to make it go. (did get a big upgrade this recruiting cycle)

Maybe it has just been the fans, but it seemed we valued the QB running game more than what the staff really wants now. My example of this is all year, we kept trying to establish a running game, that pretty much was a no go, including some injuries to the QB. Being forced into passing situations, with either poor receivers, poor qb passing or a bit of both. The line I felt did a decent job of protection as the year went on.

In the past, we had years with good passing games, (thinking Joe Ganz & Taylor Martinez) and then the running game was usually pretty easy to get going too. I know at first Tmart was more of a runner, but because of injury, he had to become more proficient as a passer, and that actually turned out pretty well.

I'm looking at who we have on the roster at QB, and thinking all those guys were picked up because of their running abilities first and maybe it's just a small nuance, but it makes me wonder if they aren't trying to up the passing game with more pass first type of guys.

If that is a slight nuanced change, I think it's a good one.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
pro-style = statue now

this kid, like the others, can move well enough to hurt a defense when they're not expecting it.

this offense, when we've seen it at its best, does not rely on designed QB runs to move the ball. requiring a dual-threat QB is stone-age thinking, IMO.

Again...this is all the shit we said when Riley got here...

You either are a QB that can run or you are not. By that I mean this...

The other teams DC either DOES gameplan for the QB run game...or they don't. There is no middle.

Now, can a statue burn a defense every now and then? Of course...

But you are either playing 11 on 11 or you are playing 10 on 11.

So you have to ask yourself if some of these late offers seem like desperation moves.. ie coming in so late on guys that already have a ton of offers.

OR

Is there a change in what they are looking for?

I'm starting to lean toward more of the latter, although I'm not sure we have the WR room yet to make it go. (did get a big upgrade this recruiting cycle)

Maybe it has just been the fans, but it seemed we valued the QB running game more than what the staff really wants now. My example of this is all year, we kept trying to establish a running game, that pretty much was a no go, including some injuries to the QB. Being forced into passing situations, with either poor receivers, poor qb passing or a bit of both. The line I felt did a decent job of protection as the year went on.

In the past, we had years with good passing games, (thinking Joe Ganz & Taylor Martinez) and then the running game was usually pretty easy to get going too. I know at first Tmart was more of a runner, but because of injury, he had to become more proficient as a passer, and that actually turned out pretty well.

I'm looking at who we have on the roster at QB, and thinking all those guys were picked up because of their running abilities first and maybe it's just a small nuance, but it makes me wonder if they aren't trying to up the passing game with more pass first type of guys.

If that is a slight nuanced change, I think it's a good one.

I think this is fair...I think the point is having a QB that CAN run...but doesn't need to run.

I think this is fair...I think the point is having a QB that CAN run...but doesn't need to run.
And you think this kid can’t.

Fair enough. I like the focus on pass-first kids, and trust that Frost won’t go after anyone he doesn’t think can run the whole offense.

Pro-style or dual-threat, I’m just glad we don’t go after armchair QBs.

And you think this kid can’t.

Fair enough. I like the focus on pass-first kids, and trust that Frost won’t go after anyone he doesn’t think can run the whole offense.

Pro-style or dual-threat, I’m just glad we don’t go after armchair QBs.

No, I don't think that kid can.

It is much easier to teach a kid to throw then it is to teach a kid to run.

I wish they went after armchair QB's...we would all get free college!

It is much easier to teach a kid to throw then it is to teach a kid to run.
Umm.. how much evidence to the contrary do you need to see? Can you list one case where that’s true?

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this point.

Umm.. how much evidence to the contrary do you need to see? Can you list one case where that’s true?

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this point.

Sure...every case in the history of cases.
If you could teach kids to run...then dudes in HS that were running 4.5 would finish college running 4.0...but that doesn't happen, you can only get so much faster no matter how much training you have.

But I can take a horrible passer and work with him and make him much much better. Now...as far as reading defenses and things like that, well, that can clearly ruin things for many QB's...but getting better at passing, is much easier.

I mean, they literally have sayings like "You can't teach speed" and "you can't teach height" and so on...

Now...as far as reading defenses and things like that, well, that can clearly ruin things for many QB's
I think this is exactly what I'm talking about. You know, playing QB.

Getting better at passing in a vacuum vs running faster, sure, you're right. But that has nothing to do with being a better QB.

I'll take a natural passer who can run enough when a play breaks down/draw or read is called vs another T-Magic experiment all day every day.

I think this is exactly what I'm talking about. You know, playing QB.

Getting better at passing in a vacuum vs running faster, sure, you're right. But that has nothing to do with being a better QB.

I'll take a natural passer who can run enough when a play breaks down/draw or read is called vs another T-Magic experiment all day every day.

I don't know why people try to rip on him. These stats are really freaking good and that was WITHOUT a QB coach on staff.

CMP AT % Yards TD Int QBR Att Yards YPR TD
Totals: 575 962 59.8 7,258 56 29 136.3 586 2,975 5.1 31

Which stat is the one you hate? Which was the failed experiment?

I don't know why people try to rip on him. These stats are really freaking good and that was WITHOUT a QB coach on staff.

CMP AT % Yards TD Int QBR Att Yards YPR TD
Totals: 575 962 59.8 7,258 56 29 136.3 586 2,975 5.1 31

Which stat is the one you hate? Which was the failed experiment?
7.5 yards/attempt is laughably abysmal.

he did what he could with what he had. we just need better if we want to win anything meaningful. much better.

that you think those stats are 'really freaking good' tells me all I need to know when you chime in on QBs in the future. see: mckenzie milton's stats from 2017 to understand 'really freaking good'.

in 2012, his best season & the year he threw his most passes (368 att), he completed 10% of balls thrown 15-19 yards downfield, 17% of balls thrown 20-24 yards downfield, and DIDN'T EVEN ATTEMPT A PASS THAT TRAVELED LONGER THAN 25 YARDS.

a quote from ESPN's director of analytics, Bill Connelly: "Taylor Martinez should never throw a pass further than nine yards."

that, my friend, is a failed experiment trying to turn a runner into a quarterback. stats on the surface don't tell the entire story, like always. sorry if this offends.

here's a link for any interested in digging in & how he compares to 42 other D1 QBs that year. pretty good breakdown, lots of stats.
https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2...pletion-percentages-collin-klein-matt-barkley

Last edited:
7.5 yards/attempt is laughably abysmal.

he did what he could with what he had. we just need better if we want to win anything meaningful. much better.

that you think those stats are 'really freaking good' tells me all I need to know when you chime in on QBs in the future. see: mckenzie milton's stats from 2017 to understand 'really freaking good'.

in 2012, his best season & the year he threw his most passes (368 att), he completed 10% of balls thrown 15-19 yards downfield, 17% of balls thrown 20-24 yards downfield, and DIDN'T EVEN ATTEMPT A PASS THAT TRAVELED LONGER THAN 25 YARDS.

a quote from ESPN's director of analytics, Bill Connelly: "Taylor Martinez should never throw a pass further than nine yards."

that, my friend, is a failed experiment trying to turn a runner into a quarterback. stats on the surface don't tell the entire story, like always. sorry if this offends.

here's a link for any interested in digging in & how he compares to 42 other D1 QBs that year. pretty good breakdown, lots of stats.
https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2...pletion-percentages-collin-klein-matt-barkley

Miltons career yards per attempt is 8.5 . Ha!

His best season also...wait...was the season where he rushed for 600 yards...the most rushing yards he had...Hmmmm

And in high school...he was listed as a...

DUAL-THREAT! HA

What are you arguing???

Think about it...your best example of what you want...it literally a dual threat QB (even in HS) who had 600 yards rushing in his best season (what we want).

You are agreeing with me. You want a dual threat QB that can pass...WE ALL WANT THAT.

Last edited:
Miltons career yards per attempt is 8.5 . Ha!

His best season also...wait...was the season where he rushed for 600 yards...the most rushing yards he had...Hmmmm

And in high school...he was listed as a...

DUAL-THREAT! HA

What are you arguing???

Think about it...your best example of what you want...it literally a dual threat QB (even in HS) who had 600 yards rushing in his best season (what we want).

You are agreeing with me. You want a dual threat QB that can pass...WE ALL WANT THAT.
I said his 2017 (10.1ypa), and don't care about the rushing. It wasn't an example of what I want, just one where I'd already listed all the stats.

pretty safe to say we'd all take any of ohio st's QBs stats since Braxton Miller. that's more of what we (I) want to see.

I'm arguing that you saying it's easier to turn a runner into a passer than the other way around is moronic (it is).

I said his 2017 (10.1ypa), and don't care about the rushing. It wasn't an example of what I want, just one where I'd already listed all the stats.

pretty safe to say we'd all take any of ohio st's QBs stats since Braxton Miller. that's more of what we (I) want to see.

I'm arguing that you saying it's easier to turn a runner into a passer than the other way around is moronic (it is).

No, it is not. You already admitted that it is not and that I am right and that you want the same QB that I want.

I agree, we would take Braxton Miller.

But you still admit Milton was a stud, right? And that he was a Dual Threat, right?

Milton's rushing numbers in 2017 are a bit deceiving. 116 of the 613 yards came in the bowl game. In that game he ran the ball a season high 13 times. There were 4 games where he ran for single digit yards and another 3 games less than 50 yards.

approx 300 of the 600 yards came in 3 games. Maryland, Memphis and Auburn. In the Maryland game, 55 of the 98 yards came on 1 run. In the Memphis game 40 of the 88 yards came on 2 plays from 1 drive and in the Auburn game, similar to the Memphis, 2 runs accounted for 40 yards.

So some quick math shows me 135 of his 613 yards came on 5 rushes in 3 games.

I think he is exactly what Rambo was talking about, a passer, that can beat you with his legs if needed, but defenses really didn't game plan against him in the run game.

In contrast, in Adrian Martinez freshman year, he had 8 games were he ran the ball 13 times or more. Remember, Milton only ran the ball 13 times once in 2017. Milton ran the ball 106 times for 613 yards in 13 games, Martinez ran the 140 times in ten games that season for 629 yards.

It is what it is, I tend to agree with Rambo on this particular issue.

No, it is not. You already admitted that it is not and that I am right and that you want the same QB that I want.

I agree, we would take Braxton Miller.

But you still admit Milton was a stud, right? And that he was a Dual Threat, right?
He was classified as dual threat, while playing pass-first.

We will go farther with a Dwayne Haskins-type than we ever will relying on a run-first QB.

And if you still think TMart’s stats were ‘pretty freaking good’, it’s clear why you don’t understand what I’m saying, and likely never will.

He was classified as dual threat, while playing pass-first.

We will go farther with a Dwayne Haskins-type than we ever will relying on a run-first QB.

And if you still think TMart’s stats were ‘pretty freaking good’, it’s clear why you don’t understand what I’m saying, and likely never will.

They were good stats. (It is okay, you can admit it)

Milton was a run first guy in Hawaii while in HS.

A HORRIBLE NU team almost beat Haskins (I think that game was at OSU, right?)

Milton's rushing numbers in 2017 are a bit deceiving. 116 of the 613 yards came in the bowl game. In that game he ran the ball a season high 13 times. There were 4 games where he ran for single digit yards and another 3 games less than 50 yards.

approx 300 of the 600 yards came in 3 games. Maryland, Memphis and Auburn. In the Maryland game, 55 of the 98 yards came on 1 run. In the Memphis game 40 of the 88 yards came on 2 plays from 1 drive and in the Auburn game, similar to the Memphis, 2 runs accounted for 40 yards.

So some quick math shows me 135 of his 613 yards came on 5 rushes in 3 games.

I think he is exactly what Rambo was talking about, a passer, that can beat you with his legs if needed, but defenses really didn't game plan against him in the run game.

In contrast, in Adrian Martinez freshman year, he had 8 games were he ran the ball 13 times or more. Remember, Milton only ran the ball 13 times once in 2017. Milton ran the ball 106 times for 613 yards in 13 games, Martinez ran the 140 times in ten games that season for 629 yards.

It is what it is, I tend to agree with Rambo on this particular issue.

Milton was a dual threat in HS. What we all want.

Milton was a dual threat

Awesome. I don't think anyone is necessarily arguing the "dual threat" tag. Milton wasn't counted on to be a running QB in Frost's offense the way Martinez is.

If you look back to all the QBs that have played for Frost when he was OC or HC/OC, before he got to Nebraska, you will see that almost all, if not all of them, were run second guys in Frost's offense. Their job was to throw the ball and pick up a big gain on the ground every once in a while.

I am pretty sure I posted a review, when Frost was hired, that showed his starting QBs averaged about 8.5 rushes per game. Martinez averages 14.2 rushes per game. Clearly he is using Martinez differently.

During Frost's time as OC and HC/OC, the most carries a QB had was when Mariota ran the ball 135 times in 2014....in 15 games. Martinez ran the ball 140 and 144 in his 2 seasons, 11 and 10 games played respectively.

He is using the QBs differently here than he did previously. I believe he is doing that because Martinez is not the thrower that Adams, Mariota or Milton were. They were able to be more effective in the throwing game, which allowed them to be much more efficient in the run game.

Edit - just for reference, Adrian Martinez is running the ball more times per game than Taylor Martinez did.

Last edited:
Here is your boyfriend vs NU

Things you should be laughing at...his yards per attempt
He rushing yards

https://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=401013341
More caveman thinking. While Haskins didn't contribute, they ran for 229 and 3 TDs on 40 carries (5.7ypc). Huskers? 49 carries (20 by the QB) for 184 and 3 TDs (3.8ypc).

You're proving my point. We won’t win anything meaningful having to rely on QB runs to move the ball.

I like the focus on pass-first QBs.

Last edited:
More caveman thinking. While Haskins didn't contribute, they ran for 229 and 3 TDs on 40 carries (5.7ypc). Huskers? 49 carries (20 by the QB) for 184 and 3 TDs (3.8ypc).

You're proving my point. We won’t win anything meaningful having to rely on QB runs to move the ball.

I like the focus on pass-first QBs.

I can't prove your point because you don't have one.

Awesome. I don't think anyone is necessarily arguing the "dual threat" tag. Milton wasn't counted on to be a running QB in Frost's offense the way Martinez is.

If you look back to all the QBs that have played for Frost when he was OC or HC/OC, before he got to Nebraska, you will see that almost all, if not all of them, were run second guys in Frost's offense. Their job was to throw the ball and pick up a big gain on the ground every once in a while.

I am pretty sure I posted a review, when Frost was hired, that showed his starting QBs averaged about 8.5 rushes per game. Martinez averages 14.2 rushes per game. Clearly he is using Martinez differently.

During Frost's time as OC and HC/OC, the most carries a QB had was when Mariota ran the ball 135 times in 2014....in 15 games. Martinez ran the ball 140 and 144 in his 2 seasons, 11 and 10 games played respectively.

He is using the QBs differently here than he did previously. I believe he is doing that because Martinez is not the thrower that Adams, Mariota or Milton were. They were able to be more effective in the throwing game, which allowed them to be much more efficient in the run game.

Edit - just for reference, Adrian Martinez is running the ball more times per game than Taylor Martinez did.

What you want in a QB is for the defense to have have to account for his legs. It isn't so much if he does run a lot, it is that he is accounted for on every play. Which, I think we all agree was the case for Milton, who is a dual threat QB.

I think another thing we all agree on is we do not want a statue QB.

What you want in a QB is for the defense to have have to account for his legs. It isn't so much if he does run a lot, it is that he is accounted for on every play. Which, I think we all agree was the case for Milton, who is a dual threat QB.

I’ll take an efficient statue over an inefficient runner every day of the week.

Just look at the teams that make the playoffs every year. They tend to agree.

Good breakdown Taco. It would also be interesting to see the number of scrambles and/or sacks that end up being included in Adrian’s runs per game...not that I’m asking you to find that info.

Good breakdown Taco. It would also be interesting to see the number of scrambles and/or sacks that end up being included in Adrian’s runs per game...not that I’m asking you to find that info.

Rushes are easy to look determine when looking at the stats. I don't know of website that breaks down which QB was sacked. In my evaluation above, I was only looking at starting QBs.

With that being said, I would also say that because the other QBs, that I mentioned who played for Frost, were more adept at passing than Martinez, would have thrown the ball away a couple of more times a game. But we are talking almost double, the amount of rushes per game, for Martinez than Mariota, Adams and Milton, that isn't just scrambles and sacks, there is something more to it than that.

Last edited:
Reactions: dinglefritz

Again, you seem to be fixated on the term dual threat QB. If you want to label then label, I just don't see the need. I still think Gebbia would have been effective and efficient in this offense and I don't think he would be labeled dual threat, but he ran well enough to gain yards on the ground to some degree.

With that said, I don't think defenses accounted for Milton in the run game. That is why he was as effective and efficient as he was. Because Martinez is being accounted for, he doesn't break many long runs. Just look at the 2017 numbers I gave you for Milton. 22% of his rushing yards for the season came on 5 plays. No one is game planning to stop a guy with that sort of ratio. If he beats you in the run game, tip your cap and move on. UCF wasn't undefeated because Milton was an excellent runner, they were undefeated because of how he threw the ball in Frost's offense.

Last edited:
Again, you seem to be fixated on the term dual threat QB. If you want to label then label, I just don't see the need. I still think Gebbia would have been effective and efficient in this offense and I don't think he would be labeled dual threat, but he ran well enough to gain yards on the ground to some degree.

With that said, I don't think defenses accounted for Milton in the run game. That is why he was as effective and efficient as he was. Because Martinez is being accounted for, he doesn't break many long runs. Just look at the 2017 numbers I gave you for Milton. 22% of his rushing yards for the season came on 5 plays. No one is game planning to stop a guy with that sort of ratio. If he beats you in the run game, tip your cap and move on. UCF wasn't undefeated because Milton was an excellent runner, they were undefeated because of how he threw the ball in Frost's offense.

Again...it doesn't matter if he runs a lot...it only matters if he can run. You make the other team play 11 v 11.

Again...it doesn't matter if he runs a lot...it only matters if he can run. You make the other team play 11 v 11.

by that standard, everyone is a dual threat. Every QB in the country can physically run. That doesn't mean they are accounted for in the game plan and that you are making the opponent play 11 on 11. I say again that most defenses are game planning to stop Milton in the passing game. The fact that he had 4000 yards, 37 TDs, 10.2 yards per attempt, 15.2 yards per completion dwarfs his production in the run game. If teams were boning up on the run game and let him throw for those numbers then that is on them.

by that standard, everyone is a dual threat. Every QB in the country can physically run. That doesn't mean they are accounted for in the game plan and that you are making the opponent play 11 on 11. I say again that most defenses are game planning to stop Milton in the passing game. The fact that he had 4000 yards, 37 TDs, 10.2 yards per attempt, 15.2 yards per completion dwarfs his production in the run game. If teams were boning up on the run game and let him throw for those numbers then that is on them.

No, it doesn't.

Also...don't you think that he had all those amazing passing numbers BECAUSE he can run? I will answer for you, it is yes. They had to account for him, it was 11 on 11.

Every DC will take pass over run because the odds (they hope) are in their favor.

I get it, you want a statue, you forget what it was like and you think that is the way to go. I want a guy that is always ready to run.

No, it doesn't.

Also...don't you think that he had all those amazing passing numbers BECAUSE he can run? I will answer for you, it is yes. They had to account for him, it was 11 on 11.

Every DC will take pass over run because the odds (they hope) are in their favor.

I get it, you want a statue, you forget what it was like and you think that is the way to go. I want a guy that is always ready to run.

You are so far out over your skis in this discussion. No one has said anything about a statue, except you.

Except for 2016, when Milton didn't win the job, as a true freshman, until game 6. Milton, Mariota, Adams all completed 65% of their passes and completed 10 yards per ATTEMPT. Not completion, ATTEMPT. That would be like a RB averaging 10 per carry.

Any DC who worried about a QB that ran the ball 8 times per game for 4.5 ypc and didn't put all of his efforts into trying to stop, or at least slow down, a QB that threw the ball 29.852459 times per game for 9.01773 yards an ATTEMPT is a fool. But go ahead and worry about the 11 vs 11 thing. Again the running success of the QB was a by-product of the passing game, not the other way around.

Last edited:
Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Pro style?

Im optimistic about that. Max Duggan was a top 25 "pro style qb" as a sophomore I believe. Now a damn good dual threat that has great accuracy and wheels. Hopefully this guy could be another Max (but at Nebraska)

Im optimistic about that. Max Duggan was a top 25 "pro style qb" as a sophomore I believe. Now a damn good dual threat that has great accuracy and wheels. Hopefully this guy could be another Max (but at Nebraska)

i believe one site called Duggan a pro style QB while the other a dual threat QB. 24/7 and ESPN listed him as a Dual Threat and Rivals a pro style.
I still think our Huskers getting Luke McCaffrey over Max Duggan was for the best. I think Luke McCaffrey is the better QB of the two. McCaffrey will definitely be the most dangerous QB of the two anyways.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/220335/max-duggan

Last edited:
You are so far out over your skis in this discussion. No one has said anything about a statue, except you.

Except for 2016, when Milton didn't win the job, as a true freshman, until game 6. Milton, Mariota, Adams all completed 65% of their passes and completed 10 yards per ATTEMPT. Not completion, ATTEMPT. That would be like a RB averaging 10 per carry.

Any DC who worried about a QB that ran the ball 8 times per game for 4.5 ypc and didn't put all of his efforts into trying to stop, or at least slow down, a QB that threw the ball 29.852459 times per game for 9.01773 yards an ATTEMPT is a fool. But go ahead and worry about the 11 vs 11 thing. Again the running success of the QB was a by-product of the passing game, not the other way around.

I don't ski and I don't want a statue...and neither do you.

Last edited:
i believe one site called Duggan a pro style QB while the other a dual threat QB. 24/7 and ESPN listed him as a Dual Threat and Rivals a pro style.
I still think our Huskers getting Luke McCaffrey over Max Duggan was for the best. I think Luke McCaffrey is the better QB of the two. McCaffrey will definitely be the most dangerous QB of the two anyways.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/220335/max-duggan

You mean a QB that is a freak athlete and played WR most of his life and then also became a great QB...YES please!

Reactions: huskerssalts
ADVERTISEMENT