ADVERTISEMENT

Huskers offer 2018 dual threat qb

I've been wondering about that, too. It took Riley and Langs a while to figure out how integrate Tommy's running ability into their system, but ever since the UCLA game it's been pretty darn effective. I'm glad they are open to taking that kind of athlete as a QB.

Langsdorf was quoted as such yesterday. He wants dual threat but they want passers who run not runners who pass

This kid looks more like a thrower and not a passer. It's puzzling to me why they are offering this kid. Seems like a great runner who is an OK passer.

From watching his film, and I'm no QB guru but I did stay at a Holiday Inn a few times, he looks like a true QB. By that, I mean someone that can read and make the necessary throws required in this offense. Gone are the days of a run first QB that needs tons of help throwing the ball, reading defenses, etc.

This kid has a lot of ability, and he can run, which is a bonus. Not a requirement.

Jameis Winston ran a 4.9 at the NFL combine. He was listed as a dual threat coming out of high school. He's not in the NFL because of his tremendous speed and ability to shake and bake, like Marriota can, Winston's in the NFL because he can make all the throws plus use his legs effectively when needed.

From watching his film, and I'm no QB guru but I did stay at a Holiday Inn a few times, he looks like a true QB. By that, I mean someone that can read and make the necessary throws required in this offense. Gone are the days of a run first QB that needs tons of help throwing the ball, reading defenses, etc.

This kid has a lot of ability, and he can run, which is a bonus. Not a requirement.

Jameis Winston ran a 4.9 at the NFL combine. He was listed as a dual threat coming out of high school. He's not in the NFL because of his tremendous speed and ability to shake and bake, like Marriota can, Winston's in the NFL because he can make all the throws plus use his legs effectively when needed.

Interesting. I thought just the opposite. I didn't like his reads and he used his arm strength instead of stepping into a throw. I will trust the coaches.

Reactions: dockentwo
I think that they can afford these offers because with guys like O'brien and Gebbia in the fold they know they can take two or three years to really develop a QB who has the physical tools but not the proper experience reading defenses or exercising good mechanics.

What I see is a 6'2" QB that has the appearance of being about 6'5" on video. Is that because he is taller than listed or because the games on film he is playing against smallish dudes

What I see is a 6'2" QB that has the appearance of being about 6'5" on video. Is that because he is taller than listed or because the games on film he is playing against smallish dudes
Nice catch; seriously - there may still be built in influence when reporting on physical measurements; confirmation of height and such used to be one of the first things confirmed in most types of visits. He may be 6"2" barefoot and relaxed vs another measured in football shoes and at a stretch. Camera angles and such, do affect. I did like the play where he made the block that helped the receiver break it down field - and he was the passer.

Nice catch; seriously - there may still be built in influence when reporting on physical measurements; confirmation of height and such used to be one of the first things confirmed in most types of visits. He may be 6"2" barefoot and relaxed vs another measured in football shoes and at a stretch. Camera angles and such, do affect. I did like the play where he made the block that helped the receiver break it down field - and he was the passer.

Not sure anyone lists themselves as smaller than what they are. It tough evaluating players when a guy the size of Tommy Armstrong looks like a guy the size of JaMarcus Russell. Lol (slight exaggeration)

I love the dual threat as well, but still think we give Ganz way too much love. A guy like Tommy with good decision making skills would be the best.

I get that. I'm in favor of the pass first/run second type of QB. I loved that about Ganz.

I love the dual threat as well, but still think we give Ganz way too much love. A guy like Tommy with good decision making skills would be the best.
Don't hate the Ganz just because he played under Callahan. His senior season under Bo he completed something like 68% of his passes I think... at least that's what I read on this board. That's pretty darn impressive... I agree with those who think he would have been great in this offense.

Reactions: dckchusker
I think the development cycle for a pro style QB is very long. I understand why it is preferred in the NFL, but in college, to be more effective and faster, a dual threat guy is preferable, at least to me.

There is no doubt the staff has done a great job this year in tailoring things around Tommy. I support whomever they give offers to, but I am glad to see these offers to dual threat guys.

Don't hate the Ganz just because he played under Callahan. His senior season under Bo he completed something like 68% of his passes I think... at least that's what I read on this board. That's pretty darn impressive... I agree with those who think he would have been great in this offense.

Just not a Ganz fan. He did ok when he was here, but we should strive to get much better talent at that position. No matter what going forward, we just need a good decision maker. So far it has been decent with Tommy. If he keeps it up, we have a good shot in every game. As long as we continue to get better and win games, its all good.

Reactions: timnsun
Yes; Tommy is excellent - and just too remind people, and as great as he would be in this system - he threw just as many " what the heck " passes as Tommy has/ TA is really improving.

Yes; Tommy is excellent - and just too remind people, and as great as he would be in this system - he threw just as many " what the heck " passes as Tommy has/ TA is really improving.

Texas Tech, a win that would have put us in the Big 12 championship gaime in hindsight ..but I liked his leadership.

Has the coaching staff seen the benefits of a good dual threat qb and now will steer more that way in the future??[/QUOTE]

Did they see Terry Wilson as a dual threat qb when they were recruiting him last year or did they consider him a pro-style qb? I just assumed he was a dual threat qb since he ended up committing to the ducks, but I don't think I ever watched his film.

Don't confuse Tommy with Tommie, two different guys with different name spellings.. and yes, Terry Wilson was recruited as a dual threat guy. I wish we would have gotten him.

Don't confuse Tommy with Tommie, two different guys with different name spellings.. and yes, Terry Wilson was recruited as a dual threat guy. I wish we would have gotten him.
That's what I thought. So maybe the coaches were already looking down the dual threat qb path prior to last year. I wish we would have kept him as well. Seems like a good plan to get a traditional qb and a dual threat and let them battle it out and play to the strengths of the roster at the time. I wonder if Wilson regrets his decision, as the ducks are starting Herbert (true freshman) at qb now.

Yep. Don't look now but ol' Joey G has his name on some school records. I think he would just MURDER in this offense.

A guy who can run is the operative here. You start out looking at guys who can think and throw, then if they can run also, you take that. Steve Young, John Elway, Aaron Rogers. Guys who you don't think of as runners until you play a man under 2 and they see backs turned and scamper for 20 yards on you.

Just not a Ganz fan. He did ok when he was here, but we should strive to get much better talent at that position. No matter what going forward, we just need a good decision maker. So far it has been decent with Tommy. If he keeps it up, we have a good shot in every game. As long as we continue to get better and win games, its all good.

He did just ok here? His one full season he had a 68% completion percentage and threw for 3500 yards. Had Callahan started him the entire 2007 season I doubt the season would have gone any worse.

Was Ganz an overachiever? Maybe. But you can't argue that his one season wasn't statistically one of the best in the history of Nebraska football.

Yep. Don't look now but ol' Joey G has his name on some school records. I think he would just MURDER in this offense.

A guy who can run is the operative here. You start out looking at guys who can think and throw, then if they can run also, you take that. Steve Young, John Elway, Aaron Rogers. Guys who you don't think of as runners until you play a man under 2 and they see backs turned and scamper for 20 yards on you.

Ganz with these receivers is just a scary thought.

This kid looks more like a thrower and not a passer. It's puzzling to me why they are offering this kid. Seems like a great runner who is an OK passer.

You do realize the video in the article is of him as a sophomore playing varsity. He's probably 15 years old in most of those highlights. From what I can find online that high school has an enrollment of 2800, so larger than any school in Nebraska. So I'm guessing he's pretty good. Maybe he worked on his mechanics between then and this season?

Reactions: SOHusker11
You do realize the video in the article is of him as a sophomore playing varsity. He's probably 15 years old in most of those highlights. From what I can find online that high school has an enrollment of 2800, so larger than any school in Nebraska. So I'm guessing he's pretty good. Maybe he worked on his mechanics between then and this season?
Kids that age can hit huge growth spurts. Some at 14 , a few after they graduate H S. I had a son who grew 6 inches and added 55 pounds the summer after 8th grade. I read somewhere that Dennis Rodman graduated H S at 5' 10'

Reactions: newAD
He did just ok here? His one full season he had a 68% completion percentage and threw for 3500 yards. Had Callahan started him the entire 2007 season I doubt the season would have gone any worse.

Was Ganz an overachiever? Maybe. But you can't argue that his one season wasn't statistically one of the best in the history of Nebraska football.

I do realize all of that. He made a ton of WTF throws as well as completed a lot of short routes. Coaching is part of it, but if he was the mythical god that everyone makes him out to be we would have won more games. Done talking about Joey Ganz, but imo he was a huge overachiever, and yes that was statistically one of the best in Nebraska Football, a team that had run the ball for years prior.

Reactions: dockentwo
Kids that age can hit huge growth spurts. Some at 14 , a few after they graduate H S. I had a son who grew 6 inches and added 55 pounds the summer after 8th grade. I read somewhere that Dennis Rodman graduated H S at 5' 10'

Dennis Rodman actually graduated? Eek

He was 5'6" in HS and at age 19 he was 5'9" according to what I could find so you are correct sir.

Reactions: sparky62
ganz was the kinda guy leech or snyder finds every 4 years. a smart player who just took what the defense gave him, and having cory ross helped.
armstrong would have been great in Dr.Toms system, he reminds me of gill, I think gill could probably pass better than armstrong, but I think armstrong runs better.

That's true. He could improve his mechanics by then and yes, he's a young kid. I'm just offering a first impression based on limited game film. Looks like an outstanding prospect for the old NU offense. I just think it's better to have your QB corps under one style or another. I thought we were going with pro style drop back QBs. At this point, this kid doesn't fit that mold. Thus I'm confused by offering him.

Maybe the staff is worried about our ability to run the football without a running threat at QB.

ganz was the kinda guy leech or snyder finds every 4 years. a smart player who just took what the defense gave him, and having cory ross helped.
armstrong would have been great in Dr.Toms system, he reminds me of gill, I think gill could probably pass better than armstrong, but I think armstrong runs better.

Actually, it depends on what Tommy is running. We haven't seen the option this year or if we have I don't recall. Tommy has not been very adept at running the option. So there is running in the open field and running a predetermined play. Tommy just never seemed to have a good grasp of the triple option but that could be different with coaching. Also think Tommy takes a single path when escaping, that spin move where he pivots to the outside. He doesn't seem to see or have the ability to step up and go in more of a straight line when pressure comes from the outside.

Actually, it depends on what Tommy is running. We haven't seen the option this year or if we have I don't recall. Tommy has not been very adept at running the option. So there is running in the open field and running a predetermined play. Tommy just never seemed to have a good grasp of the triple option but that could be different with coaching. Also think Tommy takes a single path when escaping, that spin move where he pivots to the outside. He doesn't seem to see or have the ability to step up and go in more of a straight line when pressure comes from the outside.

If you go to the :11 mark, I have never seen armstrong be that smooth, but he can make a lot of d-linemen look as fast as trees when scrambling for a first down, or to pass.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT