ADVERTISEMENT

Huskers in the draft

Boutle ran a 4.38 40 36.5" vertical, 10' 6" broadjump and 16 reps on the bench.
Bootle's sub 4.4 will get him at look from some teams, but he's listed at 5' 10" (probably shorter?). Has he played well enough at that size to warrant getting drafted? There are a lot of guys who run well but aren't quite good enough football players to make it. I bet he doesn't get drafted.

Jaimes is better than the backup tackle for my New York Jets. I'd love if we could get him in the 5th round.

Jaimes is at least as good as Nick Gates as a left tackle for Nebraska. Now Gates is a very solid starting center for the Giants.
Giants love Gates. He can play wherever they need him.

I don't think Mills is going to get drafted or even much of a shot at the free agency. To me it spoke huge volumes that late in the year, he never got the ball much. Kind of says all you need it too.

I do think Bootle will make a team, and prob so will Jaimes, but neither may get drafted.

We have to stop blaming Mike Riley's recruiting.. I mean he was 'killing it' back in the day.. at least that is what many posters told me.

Besides speed, what else does he have going for him? Is he physical at the point of attack? Is he great in coverage one on one? Can he lock down an average college receiver? Does he have above average ball skills? How is he in run support? Answer those questions along with the evaluators.

Mills was hurt most of the year and got an increase in carries late, see Rutgers.

Well it ain't Jack Daniel.
JD Spielman? He had a tough year at TCU and may actually try to go back to TCU-- this time he may even finish the season. Otherwise, he's an NFL tryout guy. Maybe UFA status if he's lucky.

JD Spielman? He had a tough year at TCU and may actually try to go back to TCU-- this time he may even finish the season. Otherwise, he's an NFL tryout guy. Maybe UFA status if he's lucky.
JD Spielman's best chance at the NFL is not as a player.

Reactions: Cornicator
So a dude who was a three year starter for Frost, still isn't good enough to be drafted and you are bringing up Mike Riley? Damn, this is the epitome of an enabler post.

So you're suggesting these dudes were drafted because of coaching?

- Nate Gerry - ran a 10.4 hundred at 6'2 210 lbs in HS.
- Maliek Collins - set a Missouri HS football record with 53 tackles for loss his Senior year.
- Vince Valentine - 20 career sacks as a DT in only 10 HS starts?

And I mentioned the Davis Twins as recruits. I didn't credit Frost and staff for coaching those dudes during their only starts at Nebraska. Why? Because evaluation and targeting talent is an art.

One of the biggest components of college football is recruiting. You either bring in elite jimmys and joes or you better out work and out evaluate everyone else.

Mike Riley was pretty awful at both components outside of a few exceptions.

FWIW, I think JoJo Domanm was a terrific find and a dude who play a long time in the NFL because of his versatility.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
So you're suggesting these dudes were drafted because of coaching?

- Nate Gerry - ran a 10.4 hundred at 6'2 210 lbs in HS.
- Maliek Collins - set a Missouri HS football record with 53 tackles for loss his Senior year.
- Vince Valentine - 20 career sacks as a DT in only 10 HS starts?

And I mentioned the Davis Twins as recruits. I didn't credit Frost and staff for coaching those dudes during their only starts at Nebraska. Why? Because evaluation and targeting talent is an art.

One of the biggest components of college football is recruiting. You either bring in elite jimmys and joes or you better out work and out evaluate everyone else.

Mike Riley was pretty awful at both components outside of a few exceptions.

FWIW, I think JoJo Domanm was a terrific find and a dude who play a long time in the NFL because of his versatility.
Nate was an NFL prospect coming out of HS due to his size and speed and then Pelini put him on the field early. What makes needed is talent comparable to his own on his own team and that was an on offer. The Davis twins were projected NFL 4-3 tackles from the day they stepped on the new campus. Very athletic for their size. Collins and Valentine are also very athletic for their size. For next years draft, Domann has a high football IQ and has a nose for the ball (listen to a radio call and note the number of times you hear his name), but is not quite an NFL level athlete. Is he a Rex Burkhead?

I have always believed you generally recruit future NFL players/athletes, more often than not. From and athletic perspective they look like Corcoroan, Piper, Jurgens, Betts, Manning and Fidone. You will notice that many have high rankings but some guys like Piper slip through the crack from recruiting perspective. Given that all those guys will likely play at least 1-2 more year I would say 2021 will be lean as well with only Cam Taylor going in top half and possibly Honas, JoJo late, but more likely free agent invitees . Defense will have a couple guys like Honas/Jo Jo each year as the roster is solid but to this point has not recruited the elite athletes we have on the offensive side.

I will also add that in any profession or sport, development is at least 50 if not closer to 75 on the individual (work ethic, development, natural ability and peronal ownership). Identify players with a great work ethic, the right frame for the position and a passion for the game and you will see players "Develop" assuming the staff isn't a bunch of clowns. Have the best development staff in world and recruit a bunch guys with poor growth potential that don't care and development will cease. Iowa isn't waiving the magic development wand for offensive lineman, they know what they are looking for in the person, athlete and frame and they recruit a bunch of guys that fit that mold and then hit at a much higher rate than recruiting rankings that do not factor down to this level. If you were to ask me what there mold is I would say it looks a bunch like Piper. I am not saying Iowa or Wisconson isn't wonderful at developing lineman, but there is a lot more to it than.

I believe after 2022 you will start seeing the 3-5 guys a year get drafted from that point forward assuming the staff begins winning in 2021 and we don't see a firing and mast exodus. This will represent four years after Frost's first non transition class or the 2019 class which are the players Frost targeted. Would love to get back to the last portion of a team we had which was the 2010 and 2011 defense lead by drafted players below. While there was certainly "development", this group was primarily recruited which is one of the reason Pelini's defenses started to regress after that time frame and why his 9 win run was coming to an end in 15-16 regardless of whether or not he went mental and fired himself.

2010-2011 Defenses - Recruited Players

2010 - Suh (1)
2010 - Asante (5)
2010 - Dillard (4)
2011 - Amukamura (1)
2011 - Gomes (5)
2011 - HaaG (7)
2012 - David (2)
2012 - Crick (4)
2012 - Dennard (7)
You don’t go honorable mention all conference team to top 3 rounds very often. Posts like this just show how delusional/uninformed most husker fans truly are.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT