ADVERTISEMENT

Huskers in the draft

BleedRed78

Blackshirt
Oct 22, 2019
I've looked at quite a few mock drafts and don't see any Huskers...

Does anyone know about this or why this would be the case? Seems like at least Jaimes would go in mid to late round based on skill and resume alone, but he's not showing up anywhere.

Is this more due to us just sucking or what? I mean Purdue and North Dakota State as well as many lesser schools have multiple guys projected... So could this really be the case for us? It's a head scratcher...

Using Purdue as an example, they haven't been a winning program but still have NFL prospects.

We need to do a much better job of developing the talent we have. Eventually, bling.neimg.youmg.and Riley's terrible recruits can't be an excuse.

Using Purdue as an example, they haven't been a winning program but still have NFL prospects.

We need to do a much better job of developing the talent we have. Eventually, bling.neimg.youmg.and Riley's terrible recruits can't be an excuse.

I have always believed you generally recruit future NFL players/athletes, more often than not. From and athletic perspective they look like Corcoroan, Piper, Jurgens, Betts, Manning and Fidone. You will notice that many have high rankings but some guys like Piper slip through the crack from recruiting perspective. Given that all those guys will likely play at least 1-2 more year I would say 2021 will be lean as well with only Cam Taylor going in top half and possibly Honas, JoJo late, but more likely free agent invitees . Defense will have a couple guys like Honas/Jo Jo each year as the roster is solid but to this point has not recruited the elite athletes we have on the offensive side.

I will also add that in any profession or sport, development is at least 50 if not closer to 75 on the individual (work ethic, development, natural ability and peronal ownership). Identify players with a great work ethic, the right frame for the position and a passion for the game and you will see players "Develop" assuming the staff isn't a bunch of clowns. Have the best development staff in world and recruit a bunch guys with poor growth potential that don't care and development will cease. Iowa isn't waiving the magic development wand for offensive lineman, they know what they are looking for in the person, athlete and frame and they recruit a bunch of guys that fit that mold and then hit at a much higher rate than recruiting rankings that do not factor down to this level. If you were to ask me what there mold is I would say it looks a bunch like Piper. I am not saying Iowa or Wisconson isn't wonderful at developing lineman, but there is a lot more to it than.

I believe after 2022 you will start seeing the 3-5 guys a year get drafted from that point forward assuming the staff begins winning in 2021 and we don't see a firing and mast exodus. This will represent four years after Frost's first non transition class or the 2019 class which are the players Frost targeted. Would love to get back to the last portion of a team we had which was the 2010 and 2011 defense lead by drafted players below. While there was certainly "development", this group was primarily recruited which is one of the reason Pelini's defenses started to regress after that time frame and why his 9 win run was coming to an end in 15-16 regardless of whether or not he went mental and fired himself.

2010-2011 Defenses - Recruited Players

2010 - Suh (1)
2010 - Asante (5)
2010 - Dillard (4)
2011 - Amukamura (1)
2011 - Gomes (5)
2011 - HaaG (7)
2012 - David (2)
2012 - Crick (4)
2012 - Dennard (7)

This graduating class is all Riley recruits. His record in recruiting NFL level talent is obvious.

Reactions: BleedRed78

Does anyone know about this or why this would be the case? Seems like at least Jaimes would go in mid to late round based on skill and resume alone, but he's not showing up anywhere.

Is this more due to us just sucking or what? I mean Purdue and North Dakota State as well as many lesser schools have multiple guys projected... So could this really be the case for us? It's a head scratcher...
Well he just gave a new endorsement of Frost's program.. now maybe Scott will call in some help for Jaimes regarding his draft stock??

Sorry, the cynic in me read that latest article on Jaimes and immediately thought of this thread.

Last edited:
The two are absolutely correlative. NFL teams do not care if a kid comes from a winning program. If a kid has the talent and they can see it on film...he’ll get drafted. We haven’t had many players drafted the last 4 years because we’ve had very sub par talent the last 4 years...period. It’s not a coincide that the Bamas and Ohio States of the world pump guys Into the league and wreck everyone on the field. How pissed would we all be if we had a bunch of guys get drafted but yet we can’t win 6 damn games? Our level of draft stock (none) is a direct reflection of the soft, slow, mediocre talent Frost is trying to deplete from the roster.

Make it happen.

Jaimes is a giant with good player stats and Bootle is obviously doing everything in his power to make the NFL. The other guys look like they they haven't sniffed a gym since the season ended. At best we will have two draft picks, but just as likely we have none. The other three simply have no chance.

Jaimes is a giant with good player stats and Bootle is obviously doing everything in his power to make the NFL. The other guys look like they they haven't sniffed a gym since the season ended. At best we will have two draft picks, but just as likely we have none. The other three simply have no chance.

Jaimes is better than the backup tackle for my New York Jets. I'd love if we could get him in the 5th round.

Jaimes is at least as good as Nick Gates as a left tackle for Nebraska. Now Gates is a very solid starting center for the Giants.

Bootle did himself a huge favor with that 40 time. He was fast coming out of HS, hasn't lost that step.

My guess is Jaimes winds up on a roster as a backup guard or RT. Anywhere from late rounds to UDFA.

Rough showing for Mills, he ran slower that Stoll...yikes. Looked neither fast nor particularly strong. I get that you don't wanna play college RB until you're like 30, but I'll continue to believe his wisest move would have been to come back and try to have a breakout year.

Bootle did himself a huge favor with that 40 time. He was fast coming out of HS, hasn't lost that step.

My guess is Jaimes winds up on a roster as a backup guard or RT. Anywhere from late rounds to UDFA.

Rough showing for Mills, he ran slower that Stoll...yikes. Looked neither fast nor particularly strong. I get that you don't wanna play college RB until you're like 30, but I'll continue to believe his wisest move would have been to come back and try to have a breakout year.
ran slower than stoll, benched less that bootle.

Reactions: BleedRed78
[QUOTE="TheBeav815, post: 6702281, member: 9404" Rough showing for Mills, he ran slower that Stoll...yikes. Looked neither fast nor particularly strong. I get that you don't wanna play college RB until you're like 30, but I'll continue to believe his wisest move would have been to come back and try to have a breakout year.
[/QUOTE]
Yep, but NU may have traded up with Stepp.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Thus was defining moment of our program to date.

I dont think we will ever win under Frost because of this.
The good news about that "defining moment" is that those guys are gone. It sound as if we may have been without both Adrian and Luke due to injuries IF we had agreed to play in a bowl game. Screwed up year. Forgetaboutit. Time to look forward.

The two are absolutely correlative. NFL teams do not care if a kid comes from a winning program. If a kid has the talent and they can see it on film...he’ll get drafted. We haven’t had many players drafted the last 4 years because we’ve had very sub par talent the last 4 years...period. It’s not a coincide that the Bamas and Ohio States of the world pump guys Into the league and wreck everyone on the field. How pissed would we all be if we had a bunch of guys get drafted but yet we can’t win 6 damn games? Our level of draft stock (none) is a direct reflection of the soft, slow, mediocre talent Frost is trying to deplete from the roster.
I would love to believe this is true, but unfortunately that is only a theory. Why did Frost continue to start them over his guys? So what they are young, next year Frost will have guys 4 years deep in the program, and last year it would of been 3.

I remember reading an article about Wandale Robinson saying "The are some bad seeds in the upper class, and his class is going to fix that."... That was his Freshman year. Where is he at now, and how is he helping the team now?

At some point you need to put up or shut up, and that is the point I was at last year. Now, because of Covid I am giving them a break. This year though, it is put up or shut up time! No kool aid for me this preseason, I want results and nothing else. Until we start winning, Frost is just another coach unable to develop talent.

Trust me... I want to be wrong, but it is what it is!

Last edited:
Ya'll are forgetting that these numbers really don't mean much in the end.

Christian McCaffrey put up 9 bench reps as a RB at the combine.

Jerry Rice was a plodder.

Rex Burkhead ran a freakin' 4.75 40 as a RB.

At the end of the day, can you play football? That's been a problem with NU lately. Way too many gambles in recruiting because a guy has the "right frame" or "might" develop into what they are looking for.

The weightlifting stuff has also jumped the shark. There's that one guy they always put in the videos benching a decent amount, and I've never seen or heard from him on the football field anywhere. He's taking up a scholarship. I wonder when he sleeps at night if he's thinking about how he can get on the field or if he's thinking about whether he'll hit that bench press max PR next week. Scholarships should be for football players not weight room warriors.

If Brendan Jaimes doesn't get drafted that will mean no player recruited and signed by Mike Riley or his staff was taken in the NFL draft.

The Davis Twins were signed when Riley was coach, but they were recruited by Bo Pelini.

I would love to believe this is true, but unfortunately that is only a theory. Why did Frost continue to start them over his guys? So what they are young, next year Frost will have guys 4 years deep in the program, and last year it would of been 3.

I remember reading an article about Wandale Robinson saying "The are some bad seeds in the upper class, and his class is going to fix that."... That was his Freshman year. Where is he at now, and how is he helping the team now?

At some point you need to put up or shut up, and that is the point I was at last year. Now, because of Covid I am giving them a break. This year though, it is put up or shut up time! No kool aid for me this preseason, I want results and nothing else. Until we start winning, Frost is just another coach unable to develop talent.

Trust me... I want to be wrong, but it is what it is!
I totally agree with you. I’m just saying that we absolutely have not had great talent here the last several years. We just haven’t. Our lack of draft prospects is very indicative of our play on the field. But the time for analysis and excuses is over. They need to start winning ball games period. Develop the talent recruit the talent Transfer in the talent I don’t give a s*@t anymore...start winning.

I would be surprised if Jaimes or Bootle don’t get drafted. I haven’t read anything on Mills. Anyone have any pro day numbers for him?

If Brendan Jaimes doesn't get drafted that will mean no player recruited and signed by Mike Riley or his staff was taken in the NFL draft.

The Davis Twins were signed when Riley was coach, but they were recruited by Bo Pelini.

So a dude who was a three year starter for Frost, still isn't good enough to be drafted and you are bringing up Mike Riley? Damn, this is the epitome of an enabler post.

So a dude who was a three year starter for Frost, still isn't good enough to be drafted and you are bringing up Mike Riley? Damn, this is the epitome of an enabler post.
I don’t expect Frost to turn everyone into pros.

Just a single one in 3 years would be nice, though.

Reactions: bigredhunter

Not really a head scratcher to me. This is a 4-8 program with an offense that relies on big plays and cannot produce any. Wandale Robinson was our best play maker and he would not even get drafted. Jaimes is a Day 3 pick-- he's in a large pool of dime a dozen prospects though. So many tackles rated above him. He could go in the 4th or just as likely go undrafted.

Our Pro Day had five guys total working out. Take a wild guess how many GMs and head coaches showed up.

Reactions: Catch50
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT