ADVERTISEMENT

Huskers have picked their captains....

I think we know who the starting quarterback is. Winking

giphy.gif

Again I'll ask...how do you know there wasn't/isn't?

Martinez being named captain has no baring on the QB battle. It’s picked by the players voting and he’s a junior and has been a leader of the team the past couple years. So it doesn’t make difference, even if he ends being the back up QB (not saying he will, just making a point).

Reactions: WHCSC
Will there be another McCaffery in the transfer portal?

lol not even and wouldn’t happen. When Luke picked the Huskers and signed with us, Martinez was looking like a potential star QB. He came in knowing he’d have to wait his turn behind Adrain. So regardless how this QB battle goes, Luke isn’t going anywhere. It’s actually pretty stupid to even think Luke would transfer if he didn’t beat out Adrain for starting QB for this season....lol

Only time I see that possibly happening, is if Smothers every jumped McCaffrey at QB. And even then I have a feeling Luke would end up being a Husker WR instead. I don’t ever see him leaving the Huskers.

Last edited:
Martinez being named captain has no baring on the QB battle. It’s picked by the players voting and he’s a junior and has been a leader of the team the past couple years. So it doesn’t make difference, even if he ends being the back up QB (not saying he will, just making a point).
And that's my point. To some on here, if AM starts, there was never a fair QB battle.

And that's my point. To some on here, if AM starts, there was never a fair QB battle.
This board is a daily reminder of the Dunning Kruger effect. The qb who we know nothing about is always the right choice, the more we learn about a qb the less confidence we have....the list of Heisman backups over the last 15 years is disgustingly large, the list of heisman starters is zero. Must be because coaches ALWAYS decide the wrong qb. I knew people would turn on AM because he "looks too relaxed". His body motion gives the impression he isn't playing hard, they gave that impression when he was a freshman all-american, they gave that impression during his sophomore slump. We need some slobber knocker like frost who looks like he is throwing a shot put and storming normandy on every play...then we'll jump on board.

This board is a daily reminder of the Dunning Kruger effect. The qb who we know nothing about is always the right choice, the more we learn about a qb the less confidence we have....the list of Heisman backups over the last 15 years is disgustingly large, the list of heisman starters is zero. Must be because coaches ALWAYS decide the wrong qb. I knew people would turn on AM because he "looks too relaxed". His body motion gives the impression he isn't playing hard, they gave that impression when he was a freshman all-american, they gave that impression during his sophomore slump. We need some slobber knocker like frost who looks like he is throwing a shot put and storming normandy on every play...then we'll jump on board.
Just go away

Reactions: scarletred

How do we know nothing about McCaffrey? I think Martinez was the right choice his Freshman year, but clearly regressed his sophomore year. I hope there was a fair battle, but Martinez has always been Frost’s guy and that shouldn’t be ignored.

Reactions: BleedRed78
it’s either that or he was picked by the players just because he’s a junior and has been a vocal leader of the team for awhile now. But I agree, that does have that feel to it.

Maybe a vocal leader, but surely wasn’t a leader in the gym last season.

You are so right his being too relaxed what poise and maturity when he was balling out as a freshman. When he struggled it was disinterest

How do we know nothing about McCaffrey? I think Martinez was the right choice his Freshman year, but clearly regressed his sophomore year. I hope there was a fair battle, but Martinez has always been Frost’s guy and that shouldn’t be ignored.

And here is the funny part, Luke McCaffrey is also “Frosts guy”. So that can’t be ignored. So is Logan Smothers...all 3 of our QBs are “Frosts guys”. It makes me laugh when some of our fans say that about Martinez like the other guys aren’t.

If Luke is better then Adrain, then Luke will play. He isn’t going to play a QB that’s worse then the other and struggling. Last year Luke was redshirting no matter what (which was the correct choice). This year, all bets are off and Luke is all in to play. IF Adrain Martinez keeps struggling, McCaffrey will get his shot this year. Count on it...

Last edited:
I would guess close to 0%.
The only chance I see him sticking around is if Frost decides to use a dual QB type of system and plays both 2am and Luke. I can pretty well promise you Luke will not sit the bench behind Martinez for another 2 or 3 years. He has already said he came here to be a QB not a WR. He could easily go to another D1 school and be a starter, there is no benefit for him to sit here.

The only chance I see him sticking around is if Frost decides to use a dual QB type of system and plays both 2am and Luke. I can pretty well promise you Luke will not sit the bench behind Martinez for another 2 or 3 years. He has already said he came here to be a QB not a WR. He could easily go to another D1 school and be a starter, there is no benefit for him to sit here.
The kid didn’t even start at QB until his Sr year of HS. He knew AM was here when he committed and I think he will get meaningful PT this year. Also, he may want to play QB right now, but you could easily make the case that his brightest future is at WR.

Reactions: husker2612
And here is the funny part, Luke McCaffrey is also “Frosts guy”. So that can’t be ignored. So is Logan Smothers...all 3 of our QBs are “Frosts guys”. It makes me laugh when some of our fans say that about Martinez like the other guys aren’t.

If Luke is better then Adrain, then Luke will play. He isn’t going to play a QB that’s worse then the other and struggling. Last year Luke was redshirting no matter what (which was the correct choice). This year, all bets are off and Luke is all in to play. IF Adrain Martinez keeps struggling, McCaffrey will get his shot this year. Count on it...

Hope so.. hope Frost’s ego will allow that. Coaches don’t always pick the best QB to start.

Show me the stats on our backup qb and tell me he deserves to start opening day against Ohio State. Luke is 20 or 30 pounds lighter than what Frost wants at qb, and he is a run first qb, who has almost no experience throwing 25-30 times a game. A run first qb who is too small, and doesn't have experience throwing is all of sudden the odds on favorite to replace a two year starter. Let Luke grow, develop because breaking him like we did with AM. Forcing a freshman to take 15-25 hits a game is idiotic.

Hope so.. hope Frost’s ego will allow that. Coaches don’t always pick the best QB to start.

come on man, Frosts ego? Maybe he stuck with Martinez last year and the year before because he was our only QB at the time. Freshman year he was a freshman All American and then his sophomore year, he definitely regressed (rather it’s his injuries, bad Oline to begin the season or lack of help from the WRs) but he didn’t really have any other options. Noah wasn’t better then Adrain and Luke was redshirting. He played who he had. This year, different story. We have 3 able bodies. But his ego...come on, not fair at all. Just saying...🤷🏽

come on man, Frosts ego? Maybe he stuck with Martinez last year and the year before because he was our only QB at the time. Freshman year he was a freshman All American and then his sophomore year, he definitely regressed (rather it’s his injuries, bad Oline to begin the season or lack of help from the WRs) but he didn’t really have any other options. Noah wasn’t better then Adrain and Luke was redshirting. He played who he had. This year, different story. We have 3 able bodies. But his ego...come on, not fair at all. Just saying...🤷🏽
we need better QB play this year, period.

doesn't matter who it is. the excuses, though for the most part valid, are running thin.

we need better QB play this year, period.

doesn't matter who it is. the excuses, though for the most part valid, are running thin.

“we need better QB play this year, period.”

I fully agree. I’m 100% behind you on that. There is no reason to have a struggling QB back there this season. If one is messing up, you make that switch and try and find the right guy. Not exactly sure why you’re pointing that out to me. My man, I know this already. Lol ;)

“the excuses, though for the most part valid, are running thin.”

Now onto this...what excuses exactly? I wasn’t making excuses at all. Just saying Frost played the best QB we had last year available. End of story. Those are facts...not exactly excuses for say. My biggest point there was Scott Frost is not hung up on one single QB . Like he’s all ride and die with Adrain Martinez if he has 1 or 2 other QBs that are as good or better and would win us games instead of losing. That’s all.

Last edited:
As a captain, do you think Martinez goes into Frost's office and lets him know that there are few sets/formations that LMfrey runs more effeciently than he does and he would like Luke to be on the field for some of those series? I mean for the good of the team and whatever it takes to win attitude? Yea.... probably not.

As a captain, do you think Martinez goes into Frost's office and lets him know that there are few sets/formations that LMfrey runs more effeciently than he does and he would like Luke to be on the field for some of those series? I mean for the good of the team and whatever it takes to win attitude? Yea.... probably not.
Do you think any QB does that? Does the Head Coach need a player to tell him that? Wouldn't the HC have a better feel for that than anyone?

ADVERTISEMENT