ADVERTISEMENT

Huskers add Grad Transfer WR too the roster as a walk on...

huskerssalts

Defensive Coordinator
Oct 6, 2014
Beatrice Nebraska
“Nebraska added more depth to its wide receiver corps for 2020 as South Dakota grad transfer Levi Falck announced that he will play his final season of college football with the Huskers.

Falck announced his decision on social media on Wednesday afternoon.

The 6-foot-2, 205-pound native of Minnesota caught 45 passes for 492 yards and two touchdowns as a sophomore in 2018 while making nine starts. He totaled nine catches for 85 yards in six games last season as a junior.

In 24 career games with the Coyotes, Falck made 70 catches for 774 yards and two touchdowns
.”

Definitely doesn’t hurt any...

n4dxfhcskvlgw45tcalb

Sean Callahan • HuskerOnline
Publisher
@Sean_Callahan

“The Nebraska football team added a senior graduate transfer wide receiver for the 2020 season.

South Dakota's Levi Falck announced on Twitter Wednesday that he plans to play his final season at NU.

The Minnesota native caught nine passes for 85 yards in six games in 2019, while in 2018 he started at wide receiver for the Coyotes in nine out of 11 games.

As a sophomore in 2018, the 6-foot-2, 205-pound Falck hauled in 45 passes for 492 yards and two touchdowns. His season-high came against Kansas State that season, where he had 140 yards receiving helping USD almost knock off the Wildcats.

The Huskers still have one scholarship spot they can use for the 2020 season. Even though Falck is a walk-on, he's another veteran wide receiver body that can help Nebraska's overall depth for the upcoming season.”

At 6’2 and 205 pounds, he brings some good size to the line up and he put up 11 rec for 140 yards against KSUcks, that’s against a Power 5 opponent and that was his sophomore year. I have no clue what happened to him his junior year but sounds like he had a drop in playing time. But being a walk on, this won’t hurt a thing having him on roster pushing the younger guys like D Houston, J Nance, C Hickman, A Brown, Z Betts, M Fleming, Will Nixon and Kade Warner.

At 6’2 and 205 pounds, he brings some good size to the line up and he put up 11 rec for 140 yards against KSUcks, that’s against a Power 5 opponent and that was his sophomore year. I have no clue what happened to him his junior year but sounds like he had a drop in playing time. But being a walk on, this won’t hurt a thing having him on roster pushing the younger guys like D Houston, J Nance, C Hickman, A Brown, Z Betts, M Fleming, Will Nixon and Kade Warner.

Some guys need to emerge from the WR room. Got some bodies, now is the time to man up and play some legit ball.

Why such a difference in his production for the different seasons? Was he injured last year?

Reactions: huskerfan66
Why such a difference in his production for the different seasons? Was he injured last year?
So I'm no expert, but a little bit of Google sleuthing came up with this. He played the first two games of last season, against Montana and Oklahoma; and then was out for six games, and returned against Western Illinois and played in the final four games. In searching, pre-game notes for their game against Youngstown State (second game back, after Western Illinois) mentioned he had returned the previous week after missing 6 games because of a hand injury.

thats what I wondered. Sounds like him, C Johnson and another guy where supposed to be their Top 3 WRs last season. Something had to of happened to knock his playing time down that much. He only played in A few games and looks like it wasn’t even that much in those games.

edited:

looks like jedihusker found the info that I couldn’t.... “missing 6 games because of a hand injury.”

thats what I wondered. Sounds like him, C Johnson and another guy where supposed to be their Top 3 WRs last season. Something had to of happened to knock his playing time down that much. He only played in A few games and looks like it wasn’t even that much in those games.

edited:

looks like jedihusker found the info that I couldn’t.... “missing 6 games because of a hand injury.”
Caden Johnson goes to S Dakota State, a markedly different program than S Dakota.

frankly, here's hoping he's nothing more than a scout-teamer.

Don't hope that he'll just be a scout teamer. Like any other guy on the roster, Iet's hope he's a gamer and can make a big difference for us!
I'd like to hope guys like Manning, Betts and the 4-star burners we've added keep a walk on with 70 catches to his name in 3 years at a below average FCS school off the field.

but maybe that's just me.

I will admit this is a bit confusing. If he can't put up monster stats in the Missiouri Valley Conf There is little evidence that he will make the 3 deep at Neb. Who knows maybe he is an excellent perimeter blocker that has been horrid so far. I guess since he is walk on there is no harm in letting him give it a go and see what happens.

South Dakota beat them last year.
one of 5 victories, following a 4-win season the year prior. in fact, the only time USD has beaten SDSU in its recent history (they've played every year since 2012). USD is 5-21 vs SDSU since 1989.

upsets happen. don't let the exception distract you from the rule. USD is a far inferior program to SDSU.

Last edited:
one of 5 victories, following a 4-win season the year prior. in fact, the only time USD has beaten SDSU in its history (they've played every year since 2012).

upsets happen. don't let the exception distract you from the rule. USD is a far inferior program to SDSU.
Wait a minute. This guy only led his team to 4- and 5-win seasons?

I'd like to hope guys like Manning, Betts and the 4-star burners we've added keep a walk on with 70 catches to his name in 3 years at a below average FCS school off the field.

but maybe that's just me.
Yes we all got excited about a transfer from the Call program and what he was going to add to the receiver room after he had a break out year followed by a not so good year. What was the result when he got to Lincoln? Another not so good year! We keep adding bodies, but see no impact. Is it the coaching?

Yes we all got excited about a transfer from the Call program and what he was going to add to the receiver room after he had a break out year followed by a not so good year. What was the result when he got to Lincoln? Another not so good year! We keep adding bodies, but see no impact. Is it the coaching?
people were excited about Noa, who was a tremendous disappointment. we needed him to make an impact and, for whatever reason, he didn’t.

I’m not sure this is even 1/4 of that.

Regardless of any starter level ability, we needed more WR bodies just to properly practice with multiple units and push competition.
We’ve been low on bodies for too long. Other teams having upwards of 15 scholly WR’s on their roster and we were sitting at 5 (including Hickman and Spielman) before this last class adding 5 more, but still short of other programs.

people were excited about Noa, who was a tremendous disappointment. we needed him to make an impact and, for whatever reason, he didn’t.

I’m not sure this is even 1/4 of that.
Other than his hand injury the biggest difference in his production his junior year was the QB Streveler. The QB his soph year played in the CFL last year with his team winning the Grey Cup. Streveler was recently signed by the AZ Cardinals. Their QBs this past year at USD struggled to say the least. Falk has very good speed and size. I think he'll play and maybe play a lot.

I will admit this is a bit confusing. If he can't put up monster stats in the Missiouri Valley Conf There is little evidence that he will make the 3 deep at Neb. Who knows maybe he is an excellent perimeter blocker that has been horrid so far. I guess since he is walk on there is no harm in letting him give it a go and see what happens.
He put up very good stats his soph year. This kid is very talented.

Reactions: bigredhunter
Other than his hand injury the biggest difference in his production his junior year was the QB Streveler. The QB his soph year played in the CFL last year with his team winning the Grey Cup. Streveler was recently signed by the AZ Cardinals. Their QBs this past year at USD struggled to say the least. Falk has very good speed and size. I think he'll play and maybe play a lot.

He put up very good stats his soph year. This kid is very talented.

He's basically a thicker version of Todd Honas. He won't see much time for Nebraska. But I do think he could provide some value on special teams.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I guess I don't get the connection with Noa being a big disappointment. This guy is basically a free player. If his game translates to Big Ten play, he'll get on the field. If not, he's a bench player with game experience.

What's the downside? Just because Noa didn't pan out, NU should swear off grad transfer receivers?

Last edited:
“Nebraska added more depth to its wide receiver corps for 2020 as South Dakota grad transfer Levi Falck announced that he will play his final season of college football with the Huskers.

Falck announced his decision on social media on Wednesday afternoon.

The 6-foot-2, 205-pound native of Minnesota caught 45 passes for 492 yards and two touchdowns as a sophomore in 2018 while making nine starts. He totaled nine catches for 85 yards in six games last season as a junior.

In 24 career games with the Coyotes, Falck made 70 catches for 774 yards and two touchdowns
.”

Definitely doesn’t hurt any...

What's his speed like?

Reactions: huskerssalts
Caden Johnson goes to S Dakota State, a markedly different program than S Dakota.

frankly, here's hoping he's nothing more than a scout-teamer.

yep, I clearly had my Dakota teams switched up. I still remember reading they had 3 solid WRs in place or something like that his junior year. I’ll admit right now, I don’t follow either team. I was just going off of memory and I could definitely be off and wrong and clearly I was here. Nonetheless, getting an experienced walk on WR that put up 11 rc and 147 yards vs KSU is fine with me. He could only help.

Last edited:
Reactions: John_J_Rambo
The Coyotes run a similar offense so there won't be much of a learning curve. I've watched a half dozen games at the Dakota Dome the past few years, about the same number by broadcast. My impression: good hands, decent route runner but not a burner. Falck was the Coyotes premier "clutch" receiver - the player most often targeted when they needed a critical 1st down. Given the lack of experienced WRs on Nebraska's roster (assuming Spielman doesn't return), I expect Falck will get a serious look when camp opens.

Here’s a quote I just read. The Huskers definitely need some players like this...great addition in my opinion.

“The 6-foot-2, 205-pound wide receiver had his best year at South Dakota as a sophomore, making 45 catches for 492 yards and two touchdowns. His production dipped as a junior, after a broken bone in his hand nearly ended his season after week two. He ended up playing in six games, making nine catches for 85 yards.

“I was supposed to miss the whole season, but I wanted to get back,” Falck said. “I thought I owed it to my team to get back — don’t sit out if you don’t have to.””

“Falck had his best game at South Dakota against strong competition. In 2018, he caught 11 passes for 140 yards in the 2018 season opener against Kansas State. In that game, Falck was being covered by cornerback Duke Shelley, who was a sixth-round pick by the Chicago Bears in last year’s draft.”

I like this move. You've got a mature guy who understands the rigors of college football and has performed against good talent. He is going to compete for everything he gets and will only make the room better

Reactions: huskerssalts
He's clearly very gutsy, a throwback, a coach on the field, a wes welker type, faster than you think, gets the most out of his talent, and willing to put in the work.

He will get along with McCaffrey. He is cut out of the same clothe as his dad. An Edelman/Welker/Jordy Nelson type. A real gym rat. I heard his dad is a coach.

Congrats fam, should help out against the Hawkeyes

I don’t think we are only focused on Iowa. Us Husker fans try and look at the complete schedule and not just one team like some fans do that only worry about one team. ;)

In the 2020 season I’m more worried about Wisconsin and Minnesota then Iowa. Iowa lost a lot the past 2 seasons. They will still be a stingy team but they won’t be that same team they been the past 2 years (from what I seen and my opinion). Wisconsin and Minnesota on the other hand could be very good in 2020. Both return a lot.

Purdue could be very good as well. They have butt load of talent returning at WR and some studs on the front 7 on defense. Then there’s Illinois, Lovie has that team competing and playing some legit football. They done something Iowa, Nebraska nor Minnesota has been able to do and BEAT Wisconsin. And you can’t ever count out NW when they have Fitz coaching their team. They had a 3-9 season last year and all but they won’t be down long. Just like our Huskers, both teams will get things going again soon.

Last edited:
He's basically a thicker version of Todd Honas. He won't see much time for Nebraska. But I do think he could provide some value on special teams.
I wouldn't be so sure about him "not seeing much time". He's faster than Kade Warner with similar hands and ability to block. The question will be how quickly he can learn the offense. I know everybody is hot to trot on Betts and Manning but we'll see who quickly they pick up the play book as well. This is kid is a really bright kid and like Warner I expect him to learn the play book quickly. One thing that should concern everybody is whether Martinez is going to be able to trust the new WRs to be in the right spot when he releases the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT