ADVERTISEMENT

Husker Upsets

jenbaggins

First Team All-Big Ten
Nov 8, 2004
I believe, at least for the next month or so, our Huskers are going to pull an upset. My reasoning behind this is that teams that hustle win games they shouldn't. Though we are off to a bad start in the B1G, I think there are two or three games that are timed perfectly for upsets. I also believe that NU is a team that coaches worry about and players overlook. So, if we can catch some teams looking ahead, I think we pull off some upsets. Here are what I believe to be the best chances for upsets.

January 22nd at home against Illinois. Illinois will be on the verge of starting a 5 game run against ranked teams, the first team being Michigan.

February 2nd at home against tOSU. This is probably a long shot. However, they will be playing their enemy Michigan after they play us, and they have already beat us once. I could see them taking a peek ahead.

February 16th at home against Michigan State. They will be coming off just playing Michigan and getting ready to take on 4 currently ranked opponents.

If we can avoid injury and not getting too tired, I think these games will be worth the price of admission. I will not miss the Illinois game because I think that might be the most winnable of the three.

Tim Miles has me excited about our future. I just hope he stays here for many years to come.

GBR!!!

This topic got me to thinking. In the history of nebraska basketball, what would be considered our biggest upsets. I just can't remember many. Have we ever field competetive teams in basketball? I remember that Joe Cipriano had a couple of pretty good teams nd I remember t least one Danny Nee team being competetive. Someone help me out here.

In the 90's NU had some really good basketball teams. Made the NCAA tourney as high as a 4 seed.

As far as upsets....we upset Indiana last year, we've had some big wins vs KU in the past. We beat some darn good Missouri and Okie State teams. We beat Michael Beasly and KSU. We have had plenty of upsets.

I remember the '90-'91 team being really good for you guys (a #3 seed in the NCAA's that season and a first or second place finish in the Big Eight: that team had Rich King, Beau Reid, Tony Farmer, Clifford Scales, Jose Ramos, Carl Hayes, Eric Piatkowski, etc.). Unfortunately, they were upset in the first round of the '91 NCAA's (I think by Xavier), but that was a team that really banded together and surprised a lot of people following college b-ball at that time.

This post was edited on 1/14 11:51 AM by nagemj02

Originally posted by larryfloyd:
This topic got me to thinking. In the history of nebraska basketball, what would be considered our biggest upsets. I just can't remember many. Have we ever field competetive teams in basketball? I remember that Joe Cipriano had a couple of pretty good teams nd I remember t least one Danny Nee team being competetive. Someone help me out here.
I don't recall how good Kansas was back in '03 maybe? Want to say they were a top 15 team, at least when we played them.

But we beat the brakes off them to the tune of 74-55.

Enjoyed that game immensely

ADVERTISEMENT