ADVERTISEMENT

Husker student section

Red I 73

All-American
Nov 25, 2007
West Des Moines, Iowa
Shattel writes in OWH about moving student section closer to field. In basketball, students are at mid court. Thoughts on moving students closer to field at football games?

Last edited:
Reactions: pahusker139
Is the student section even full with the product that has been on the field the last couple years? Students always find something better to do than watch a bad game. It would look pretty bad to have the 50 yard line student section be half full.

Reactions: tdierberger
Sometimes writers have to manufacture stuff to write about. Students sales continue to decline nationally. That's been a trend for years. Have you been to other stadiums? Looks at where Michigan, Penn State and Ohio State put their students. In the corners of the end zones, upper decks, etc. Does that affect the atmosphere there? No. Are you really going to displace a bunch of season ticket holders and lose a bunch of booster fee revenue during a pandemic? I don't think so. I think in the 80's student tickets were cheap and they sold about 16,000 of them. Now its about half of that and they sometimes sell out at the last minute. Leave it as is, at least for a few years and see what the revenue is, how the team performs, etc. Right now its the product ON the field that needs improving, not off of it.

Sometimes writers have to manufacture stuff to write about. Students sales continue to decline nationally. That's been a trend for years. Have you been to other stadiums? Looks at where Michigan, Penn State and Ohio State put their students. In the corners of the end zones, upper decks, etc. Does that affect the atmosphere there? No. Are you really going to displace a bunch of season ticket holders and lose a bunch of booster fee revenue during a pandemic? I don't think so. I think in the 80's student tickets were cheap and they sold about 16,000 of them. Now its about half of that and they sometimes sell out at the last minute. Leave it as is, at least for a few years and see what the revenue is, how the team performs, etc. Right now its the product ON the field that needs improving, not off of it.

The current boosters and season-ticket holders aren't going to be around forever.

You need the current students to become the future season-ticket holders and boosters.

I have been to numerous big ten stadiums and the students are in the same place as those schools. Corner and or end zone. Bottom to top.

Is the student section even full with the product that has been on the field the last couple years? Students always find something better to do than watch a bad game. It would look pretty bad to have the 50 yard line student section be half full.
I witnessed games where the seats were empty early in third quarter under present seating system. tOSU game under BO. Guess the old folks had a bowel movement and got backed up in bathroom line.

Shattel writes in OWH about moving student section closer to field. In basketball, students are at mid court. Thoughts on moving students closer to field at football games?
Student sec in basketball not always at half court. Students sec used to be on east side.
I agree 100%. Students need to be on east side where they used to be for years.
Unfortunately, for that to happen the SOUTH Stadium needs tore down and replaced new with concourse wrapping around to east and west sides, Suites, New concessions, New bathrooms........

There are student tickets in east stadium if I remember correctly
Very true. The band is in 2nd section from the south on the east side and students next to them in first section.

Currently a lot of east stadium is university employee seating and parents/family of players.

IF they move to west side , which I'm not convinced they'll do , I assume they'll want player tickets over there as well which would mean shifting a bunch of season ticket holders. Same would go for visiting band and fans that are currently in section 22 or 21.

Nebraska finally switched sidelines after all these years they always were looking in to the sun..

Time to put the student body behind the visiting teams side line...
The first few rows in East Stadium aren't really all that desirbable because you're blocked from so much of the action by players on the sideline. IMO, it would be wise to cram as many students between the 30s on the visitor sidelines as you could fit and give them all noise makers.;) Maybe even add a couple of rows of seats with portable bleachers between the 30s on the visitors side.

Reactions: Red I 73
The first few rows in East Stadium aren't really all that desirbable because you're blocked from so much of the action by players on the sideline. IMO, it would be wise to cram as many students between the 30s on the visitor sidelines as you could fit and give them all noise makers.;) Maybe even add a couple of rows of seats with portable bleachers between the 30s on the visitors side.
No need for noise makers, put them behind the visitors, and just teach them to clap.
Clapping fouled up our performance according to the coach.....

• Wow
Reactions: dinglefritz
No need for noise makers, put them behind the visitors, and just teach them to clap.
Clapping fouled up our performance according to the coach.....
I still don't get the hand clap snap signal. We shouldn't have any false starts using hand claps should we? And yet, we have tons of false starts with it. Seems like maybe we should try something different like oh say....a snap count.

Reactions: tpmcg
grandma aint moving by gd, so set the hell down and shut the fck up or i'll call security
I suspect that a lot of season ticket holders gave up their seats this past year. It might be easier to move people than you think especially now that they've changed sidelines. We gave up the seats we've had for over 25 years. We often only made it to a game or two every year and usually gave the tickets away to friends. The seats were great in west stadium. I hope we don't regret it too much.

Reactions: huntered
ADVERTISEMENT