ADVERTISEMENT

Husker Hoops Exhibition vs. Chadron State

SomedayHusker

All-American
Oct 26, 2019
Omaha
On B1G+ right now. It was only $10 for the 3 games that are on Plus so I said what the heck.

I’m almost somewhat relived that there is absolutely no hype whatsoever for this season in a crap mens sport for once. Ton of new pieces on this team, so we don’t have to be “as” pissed off when they probably suck again.

Things I’m watching: does CJ Wilcher take a step forward in his new leadership role? Does Walker continue the record shooting percentage without Verge feeding him those nifty passes? How does Sam Griesel blend into Fred’s offense at the point? How much do the new comers like Juwan Gary and Bandoumel contribute? Can Breidenbach vastly improve his defense and rebounding to be a serviceable big? Does Blaise Keita come out and confirm the hype around him? Can we instill this goal identity of a good defensive team that turns into offense?

Currently 16-11 NU.

Keep updated on score. I know it is a exhibition game. Keep posted on how they look.
Thanks
Agree on no hype on this team, I'm hoping for team basketball

Reactions: huskerfan66
Where does the hoops program go from here? If Fred Hoiberg and Tim Miles couldn't win here, then who could? Maybe McDermott, but that will never happen. But he seems to have the formula for building a winning program in this state. So hire Darian DeVries and try to replicate the Creighton program here?

Where does the hoops program go from here? If Fred Hoiberg and Tim Miles couldn't win here, then who could? Maybe McDermott, but that will never happen. But he seems to have the formula for building a winning program in this state. So hire Darian DeVries and try to replicate the Creighton program here?
Is it just because Miles was a fun guy...but should he have maybe not been canned?

Reactions: zrob
Final score ended up 87 - 60. Was very ugly early on according to my son who was at the game.

Not expecting Hoiberg to finish the season, personally. Hopefully they gel and take a step forward, but odds are against them. I will watch as many games as i can because it is the Huskers. My goal is to still be watching at the end of as many games as I can since that means they will be competitive.

I don’t expect Hoieberg to be fired during the season but he will be by seasons end if his team is one of the bottom 4 teams in the conference again..

Reactions: SomedayHusker
Is it just because Miles was a fun guy...but should he have maybe not been canned?

Miles might not have been canned if Hoiberg had not been available and interested. But Miles had quite a few bad losses here (Incarnate Word, Gardner-Webb, Samford, Kent State) and outside of one hot month in 2014, was pretty mediocre.

Hard to justify keeping him when there's a coach available who won the Big 12 tournament twice, made a Sweet Sixteen, went to the Big Dance 4 out of 5 years, and was a head coach in the NBA. I don't think anyone expected Hoiberg to be worse than Miles.

Rumor is hoiberg comes late to practices and has a Mountain Dew drinking problem. A little loose with the co-Ed’s on campus. Spends more time at the unl bowling alley the womens team can’t even practice.
When he slides down the railing down the steps at PBA he straddles the rail like a cowboy.

Rumor is hoiberg comes late to practices and has a Mountain Dew drinking problem. A little loose with the co-Ed’s on campus. Spends more time at the unl bowling alley the womens team can’t even practice.
When he slides down the railing down the steps at PBA he straddles the rail like a cowboy.
No rumor just Fact, you have sucked too many turds and you need to be flushed down the 🚽.

Don't you have a glory hole to run where you know your dad is hiding behind, instead of telling fart and poop jokes here?

I have modest expectations for Nebrasketball, but at one time, I really thought Pinnacle showed that the university was finally committed to fielding a competitive program and that hiring a proven coach like Hoiberg would be the next piece of the puzzle. But 5 years later, we’re sitting here with a first class facility that nobody knows about and a once-great coach who has completely lost his fastball since leaving Ames. He’s become the Dontrelle Willis of basketball, and for the life of me, I don’t understand why or how it happened.

Miles might not have been canned if Hoiberg had not been available and interested. But Miles had quite a few bad losses here (Incarnate Word, Gardner-Webb, Samford, Kent State) and outside of one hot month in 2014, was pretty mediocre.

Hard to justify keeping him when there's a coach available who won the Big 12 tournament twice, made a Sweet Sixteen, went to the Big Dance 4 out of 5 years, and was a head coach in the NBA. I don't think anyone expected Hoiberg to be worse than Miles.
I think that Miles' downward trajectory and horrific conf records 4 of the last 5 seasons did him in and it was definitely time for some new blood.

Who would have predicted that FH would be even worse?

I'm probably wrong but Fred just doesn't seem like he's that into it. Hoping something unexpected clicks this season to at least be competitive. The continuing lack of any ability to shoot the 3 has GOT to change!

My only expectation this year is FH being let go in March. They would have to be a huge surprise for any other outcome. Ugly

Reactions: Bold Words
I'm probably wrong but Fred just doesn't seem like he's that into it. Hoping something unexpected clicks this season to at least be competitive. The continuing lack of any ability to shoot the 3 has GOT to change!

Like 3 of our 4 last FB coaches...... Fredward prolly doesn't want to be here any longer...but can't quit...but unlike the FB coaches, he hasn't acted like an idiot yet to speed up the buyout. So here we are stuck in purgatory. It's a no win.

Reactions: mgbreis
Well most of the game did not look very good. They salvaged it late in the second half with a hot shooting few minutes. 87-60 Cornhuskers

Juwan Gary - Easy standout of the day. It was his rebounding effort that impressed me more than his scoring and overall intensity he played with, but hit multiple 3’s and inside shots. Promising starter from Alabama could easily end up being our best player.

CJ Wilcher - Was off on his shooting, decent defense. saw a little bit of leadership from him, but not much, I never did see him as any kind of big time alpha leader.

Emmanuel Bandoumel - showed some potential on defense and hit a 3. Should play solid minutes this year.

Derrick Walker Jr - We knew what we had here, so he wasn’t featured much. I don’t expect him to repeat his scoring numbers from last season without Verge but he will be an improved player overall.

Blaise Keita - Dude looks the part physically, needs a little refinement everywhere in his game but could end up being a good player.

Sam Griesel - took him awhile to get going but eventually got some stats. Not very impressed with his athleticism or ball handling. Will need to rely on his size to see cutting passes and possibly bully smaller guards.

Kesei Tominaga - We know what we have here. A defensive liability and inconsistent shooter.

Wilhelm Briedenbach - Looked ok rebounding and offense around the rim but this opponent lacked a lot of size and talent underneath

Denim Dawson - This freshman I really liked. Played with a lot of intensity on defense and really attacked the glass as a smaller guard and got a bucket from it.

As with any team, these guys could end up surprising but I’m not holding my breath. I think we will again be a very inconsistent shooting team. I think we will be at least slightly improved on defense and possibly rebounding which we desperately need. I would love to see Denim Dawson take ALL of Tominaga’s minutes. We need to develop Blaise Keita a lot better than we did Eduardo Andre. Juwan Gary looks to be the best addition for this year. Overall, an unimpressive game against a bad, severely undersized team and we will have to improve and take it one game at a time, but if I had to call it now, I’d say Fred is gone at the end of the season.

Super true, I did not think of it that way.

Well most of the game did not look very good. They salvaged it late in the second half with a hot shooting few minutes. 87-60 Cornhuskers

Juwan Gary - Easy standout of the day. It was his rebounding effort that impressed me more than his scoring and overall intensity he played with, but hit multiple 3’s and inside shots. Promising starter from Alabama could easily end up being our best player.

CJ Wilcher - Was off on his shooting, decent defense. saw a little bit of leadership from him, but not much, I never did see him as any kind of big time alpha leader.

Emmanuel Bandoumel - showed some potential on defense and hit a 3. Should play solid minutes this year.

Derrick Walker Jr - We knew what we had here, so he wasn’t featured much. I don’t expect him to repeat his scoring numbers from last season without Verge but he will be an improved player overall.

Blaise Keita - Dude looks the part physically, needs a little refinement everywhere in his game but could end up being a good player.

Sam Griesel - took him awhile to get going but eventually got some stats. Not very impressed with his athleticism or ball handling. Will need to rely on his size to see cutting passes and possibly bully smaller guards.

Kesei Tominaga - We know what we have here. A defensive liability and inconsistent shooter.

Wilhelm Briedenbach - Looked ok rebounding and offense around the rim but this opponent lacked a lot of size and talent underneath

Denim Dawson - This freshman I really liked. Played with a lot of intensity on defense and really attacked the glass as a smaller guard and got a bucket from it.

As with any team, these guys could end up surprising but I’m not holding my breath. I think we will again be a very inconsistent shooting team. I think we will be at least slightly improved on defense and possibly rebounding which we desperately need. I would love to see Denim Dawson take ALL of Tominaga’s minutes. We need to develop Blaise Keita a lot better than we did Eduardo Andre. Juwan Gary looks to be the best addition for this year. Overall, an unimpressive game against a bad, severely undersized team and we will have to improve and take it one game at a time, but if I had to call it now, I’d say Fred is gone at the end of the season.
Looks like Moos gave Hoiberg an extension through the 2026-2027 season at $.35M annually. If we fire Fred this year, we would need to pay him for this entire season and then $3.5M for 4 more seasons for a total buyout of $14M AFTER we have paid him this season's entire salary. Does that sound right?

Bill Moos was the worst contract negotiator on planet earth. Frost and Hoiberg are arguably the worst Football and men's basketball coaches of all time and he locked them up with long term guaranteed money as if they were saving our programs.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Looks like Moos gave Hoiberg an extension through the 2026-2027 season at $.35M annually. If we fire Fred this year, we would need to pay him for this entire season and then $3.5M for 4 more seasons for a total buyout of $14M AFTER we have paid him this season's entire salary. Does that sound right?

Bill Moos was the worst contract negotiator on planet earth. Frost and Hoiberg are arguably the worst Football and men's basketball coaches of all time and he locked them up with long term guaranteed money as if they were saving our programs.
I don't think so...you hire coaches (people) thinking they will be great...not bad. If you hire them thinking they will be bad, why hire them?

I didn’t watch, but how can NU play a full game with Derrick Walker getting off only three shots? Fred should make it a priority to feed him the ball at Colorado. Buffs have some decent players returning but absolutely no inside defenders.

I didn’t watch, but how can NU play a full game with Derrick Walker getting off only three shots? Fred should make it a priority to feed him the ball at Colorado. Buffs have some decent players returning but absolutely no inside defenders.
Possibly wanted to see how other guys were. Walker would’ve easily eaten the bigs from Chadron. He was 3/3. It’s only an exhibition and not sure anyone would’ve learned anything from that. Same reason Aaron Rodgers doesn’t play in the preseason.

If we as fans learn anything, it should be that last year we drubbed an “ok” Colorado team in the exhibition and went on to look like horse shit in most real games. So I’m trying not to put too much stock into how the team will really do from these games. Just studying players.

Reactions: schuele
Possibly wanted to see how other guys were. Walker would’ve easily eaten the bigs from Chadron. He was 3/3. It’s only an exhibition and not sure anyone would’ve learned anything from that. Same reason Aaron Rodgers doesn’t play in the preseason.

If we as fans learn anything, it should be that last year we drubbed an “ok” Colorado team in the exhibition and went on to look like horse shit in most real games. So I’m trying not to put too much stock into how the team will really do from these games. Just studying players.
I agree with what you're saying, but NU is not exactly adept at feeding the post. That's something that they can always work on, even against overmatched opponents. Last year it often seemed like they didn't commit to getting the ball inside to Walker until they had already dug themselves a deficit.

I agree with what you're saying, but NU is not exactly adept at feeding the post. That's something that they can always work on, even against overmatched opponents. Last year it often seemed like they didn't commit to getting the ball inside to Walker until they had already dug themselves a deficit.
I agree with this also. They’re not proven at doing it by any stretch so it wouldn’t be a bad idea to hammer it. The other possibility is that Fred has no confidence in that style when it comes to B1G play or doesn’t even want to do it so he wants to practice his style. You know, the one that hasn’t worked.

Reactions: schuele
I look forward to watching until we get murdered by Creighton. Then I'll probably rekindle some interest in January when there's nothing else to watch. By February I'll be watching the women's team and thinking about spring training.

I think that Miles' downward trajectory and horrific conf records 4 of the last 5 seasons did him in and it was definitely time for some new blood.

Who would have predicted that FH would be even worse?
Kind of makes you think of Seinfeld. You know, the episodes where George says “it’s not you. It’s me”. I’m starting to think it’s not the coaches. It’s us.

A different Chadron team, but to put this game in prospective: In 2017 we beat them 98-45. Isiah Roby, Michael Jacobsen, Glynn Watson and crew made it look a lot easier.

A different Chadron team, but to put this game in prospective: In 2017 we beat them 98-45. Isiah Roby, Michael Jacobsen, Glynn Watson and crew made it look a lot easier.
It should be easy. Hoiberg is terrible. This team will be terrible again. Fred doesn’t care.

Who will be coaching them next year?

If it isn't Hoiberg (which is probable he is gone after the season), I think they need to go in a much different direction with the hire than has been done forever. History would tell us that a decent coach in a non-P5 school may achieve a little success here and there but is unable to compete in the upper half of the B1G on a consistent basis. It is time to throw a lot of money at a top assistant coach at a very successful P5 program. One who know what it takes to recruit and has the ability to bring in recruiting bad asses for assistants. NU has enough resources (PBA, NIL, a desperate fan base, B1G money, etc.) to be a success.

If it isn't Hoiberg (which is probable he is gone after the season), I think they need to go in a much different direction with the hire than has been done forever. History would tell us that a decent coach in a non-P5 school may achieve a little success here and there but is unable to compete in the upper half of the B1G on a consistent basis. It is time to throw a lot of money at a top assistant coach at a very successful P5 program. One who know what it takes to recruit and has the ability to bring in recruiting bad asses for assistants. NU has enough resources (PBA, NIL, a desperate fan base, B1G money, etc.) to be a success.
My take is another Tim Miles-ish hire who isn’t such a douche bag. There are some good young coaches to be had who have run programs. The assistant coach/smaller school head coach is a good debate. Fred should have been a great hire. At some point one has to think it’s us and not him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT