ADVERTISEMENT

Husker Fans...tell me about S. Frost.

MegaTronsBro

Sep 19, 2017
What is it that you think he will bring you and why does most of your fan base want him so badly? I understand he brings the Oregon like up-tempo offense with him, which is fine and all, but what else makes him so enticing to you guys? I'm genuinely asking because I'm not familiar with him.

Main thing is that he was here when we were in our glory days and has an intimate understanding of what it took to make us great. We have great hope that he can bring that back to the program.

1) He's one of ours
2) He is unquestionably well rounded as a coach. His experiences in college football, in the NFL, and the coaches he has worked for and with are impressive including the UCF turnaround.
3) Since the Callahan era, we have had AD's and coaches hellbent on tearing down what this program was built on in order to put their own stamp on it. It has been a disaster. SF is seen as someone who can reconnect the program to its roots.

Scott Frost would be seen as a possible HC of NU even if he didn't have NU ties. The fact that he has NU ties makes him a logical choice to pursue.

To me I think he can be trusted to be behind this program 100%. Pelini would have jumped to OSU in a heartbeat I would expect, Bill Callahan to the NFL, Riley just wasn't ever really effective as a HC.

I think Scott is a smart X and O guy like Tom Osborne was, and so I believe that his floor is high and his ceiling is all the way baby!

I believe his youth is an asset in recruiting, yet he's been around to learn a lot from effective coaches, so he's not just young, but experienced.

He's coming off an excellent season and is the hottest new head coach out there which I believe will help his recruiting and get the boost he needs to get off the ground initially at Nebraska.

He is an offensive coach, although he has a good amount of defensive experience, which I like in a HC because you have to score to win. There are no 0-0 tie games in football anymore.

He understands Nebraska and everything that comes with it here. He shouldn't be put off balance by an alien set of circumstances.

It wouldn't be just a job. I believe for him it would be a passion, a labor of love.

Where to begin....

SimilarWelcomeDunnart-max-1mb.gif

He brings a spread offense that gets players in motion and the opposing defense thinking one way then attacks from all angles. That's what cfb is all about nowadays. Running a pro style offense with dumb college players doesn't work.. You make it simple for college kids; shotgun, run deep routes, hand off in shotgun. simple simple simple.

He also can relate to young black athletes. He has a foot print down in the southeast now and these young HS kids love him (just look at the vids from the UCF locker room).

He also knows what it takes to bring a winning culture to Nebraska. The culture here at Nebraska has been awful since 2010. Undisciplined coaches, undisciplined players, a lack of want to during the offseason, etc.

And finally, he will unite the fanbase. This fanbase has been divided for a very long time and it got worse when Bo was rightfully fired. It's been a constant "I was right about this coach and you were wrong blah blah blah" with our fans and Frost will bring unity to this state; a homegrown kid that played for Osborne, won a conference and national title, and represents himself and his teams great.

I think that successful college coaches find a sweet spot right between being a psychotic a-hole (Pelini) and a gee-whiz "How do you guys want to do it?" grandpa type (Riley). These young men need a leader who they know will demand their best while also earning their respect. That's how you get players to run through a wall. Not by screaming at them and not by letting them have all the rope in the world to hang themselves with. I'm hoping Frost is that kind of leader. Confident, demanding, level-headed... all that crap.

He will bring a winning culture that we have been missing for so long

• Solich kinda had it but it became stale under him
  • Callahan - losst his NFL team and then proceeded to lose his NU team and trample on the traditions while he was at it
  • Pelini had a culture of hate and the fans are bad coupled with a culture of too much ego and he failed
  • Riley had a culture of acceptance, participation ribbons and gender neutral bathrooms
Frost we hope will have a culture of hard work, inclusion of fans and working to become better - while cultivating a family feel. That is what we used to have until we decided that was all stupid and perlman knows best. He demonstrated this at Oregon and then at UCF and his mentor in this is TO

We are hopeful, i could care less what kind of offense or defense he runs

Reactions: c3ntral08
At 42 years of age he lines up at QB in practice to run the option. That's what I like about him.

Reactions: Sinomatic
Mainly hope for a lot of people :p

On the other hand, he is extremely intelligent and a competitor and understands what it takes to win. His resume is quite impressive when you look at who he has worked with as a player and coach: T.O., Bill Walsh, Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, Jon Gruden, Chip Kelly, etc.

I think it is a risk to take him, but sometimes you have to accept the risk in hopes of bigger rewards.

The appeal of Frost to me is, in this order:

1) Track record of success so far as a coach. Position groups have performed well at Oregon, has made an unbelievable turnaround at UCF and did it FAST. Do we know he'll get it done at NU? We don't know that, we can't know that. But he's the top name in coaching right now and we're gonna get him. Enjoy that for a minute.

2) Emphasizes running game. Doesn't have to be option, doesn't have to be QB run, take the personnel you have and run. the. damned. football. Running isn't the only thing, but I dare you to show me the team that won it all with a dog shit running game. We all understand that Lee, POB and Gebbia are not fleet-footed guys. But they're not bums. Give them a run game and they can sure as hell nail some PA pass for you.

3) Not afraid to recruit JUCO. My God was it nice to see that JUCO kid house a kick return to ice that game for UCF. #1 thing I said to people who made excuses for Mike because of talent level and culture was, "And what has he done to upgrade the talent level quickly? Where are his transfer players?" You don't build your whole team with them, but when there are JUCO guys who are obviously better than the upperclassmen you have now...go get them. Yes, you build long-term success with 4 and 5 year kids. But there's no law that says you have to wait 4 or 5 years to improve.

4) He's seen dominant football firsthand. This one is lower on the list because it's not enough to have played at a high level. Lots of high achievers can't teach for crap. But if you pair it with #1, hopefully you're getting a guy who will demand maximum effort at all times.

5) Nebraska guy. This is pretty unimportant to me honestly, it's just icing on the cake. It's a nice storyline. We think NU is soooooooo unique that only a native son can ever succeed here. It's not. It just so happens that we haven't had a staff that can coach and recruit at a high level since the 1990s. Get good players, coach them up, call good plays. You do that, you can win on the moon.

Maximum effort has not been present at NU for a long time. That's step one in the process. Show me that playing pattycake with each other in practice gets you benched. Show me that you can go out there and Wisconsin a team of equal-or-worse talent. Win ugly and boring, beat on them for 4 quarters until your 3 yard runs start turning into 8 yard runs because you made them tired of doing their job the right way.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT