ADVERTISEMENT

Husker fans prepare yourselves for this scenario

Suhrreal

Defensive Coordinator
Jun 1, 2009

Will be a real shame if we have a mini-breakout before that Ohio State opener. Tempering my expectations right now.

If there's any game you can have full confidence in, or the most confidence, it's Week 1. Ohio State NEEDs a game every week and a W every week to play for a natty. If the game doesn't go off, it's on us. They won't be messing around, guaranteed.

If there's any game you can have full confidence in, or the most confidence, it's Week 1. Ohio State NEEDs a game every week and a W every week to play for a natty. If the game doesn't go off, it's on us. They won't be messing around, guaranteed.

Hopefully NU isn't messing around either. This program needs a strong showing worse than OSU. Not saying a win, but a strong showing. Keeping them under the 53 PPG they have averaged against us the last 5 times would be a good start.

Reactions: Rick Chick
Hopefully NU isn't messing around either. This program needs a strong showing worse than OSU. Not saying a win, but a strong showing. Keeping them under the 53 PPG they have averaged against us the last 5 times would be a good start.
Right, sorry I was implying the game in general for both programs. No guarantees in life but highly confident this game gets played because you know we're taking every game serious.

In this year, if you're able to find silver-linings - get used to being disappointed in elements out of your control.
And then adjust.

If this season doesn't happen - I really don't care. A year ago, I'd think I was crazy for saying that. But there's so much more to life than a game, or a TV show, or a movie or any other distraction.

I don't have to travel for my profession as much and I've been home with the family, which I needed.

Sorry to distract - but we can't control what these teams will do or not do. And I'm thankful now to realize that and maybe I'll appreciate a full season much more in the future.

I was prepared for every scenario: 232 ponds of marijuana, 400k cash, MDMA and THC wax in my everyday carry car kit. Then I drop some old boxes off at the courthouse and whoa did my life change.

• Haha
Reactions: HuskerDana and c3o
Hearing something about a big breakout in Wisconsin.. this could all get shut down again if they are not careful. 50-50 on if an actual game gets played this year.

If only there was a model for how to successfully play football without having to cancel games, so college football could imitate it. (NFL)

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
There's one Big thing here, They recorded 7 positive tests and 13 isolations due to being tested on Monday following several days of not being tested. The ACC (and thus I assume ND) is only testing 3 times a week. Twice using PCR (Molecular) tests and once a week using an Antigen test. (this is according to a recent SI article but the ACC's own data shows these testing types may be the opposite). This leaves a chance of the facilities and practice field can become a spread area as well as contact tracing between players on off days. This means there is a lot of opportunity for widespread contamination in a short time across the entire team.

The Big Ten is doing daily antigen testing along with a weekly PCR test. If you come up positive with an antigen test you aren't allowed near the facility and are also immediately given a PCR test regardless of when your last one was.

They also are keeping players separated as much as possible outside of the facilities as well. (basically distancing from anyone on the team you don't live with outside of the testing window.)

Also, both the Antigen and the PCR test kits the Big Ten is using are far quicker than the current tests and the Antigen test kits the Big Ten is going to use are also said to give far less false negatives than the ones currently in use making testing far quicker and more accurate than what is currently being done. As far as has been shown only the Big Ten and Pac 12 are using 2nd Gen Covid Test Machines, the others have been using 1st Gen Machines and/or have been using off site labs for their test results.

IE: The Antigen testing that has been done by the ACC thus far takes 15 minutes to up to an hour to get a result and has false positive rates from as high as 88% to as low as 70% depending on the source. The Antigen test machine that Nebraska is using, processes the test in 3 minutes and claims to have a 96.7% accuracy rate.

Also the ACC's current PCR testing apparently takes 2-3 days to get a result back. Nebraska ( and the Rest of the Big Ten, I believe) gets their PCR test results in 6-8 hours.

All this leads to FAR fewer false positives, a virtually nonexistent chance of the teams facilities or practices being a contaminated zone and a MUCH lower number of contact trace instances of quarantine across the team for the Big Ten as opposed to what the SEC, Big 12 and ACC are currently doing. It's not 100% effective but it's also far less likely we see large enough outbreak numbers across the teams to reach the 5% danger threshold compared to some of these other teams who are having to quarantine entire player position groups due to contact during meetings or off facility gatherings.

Last edited:
why the focus on antigen testing? if a person was exposed to covid, and recovered and naturally built antigens to the virus, would they not continue to give off positive antigen tests for months to years?

Until college football completely implodes, not likely given it's continued even with postponed games, and all conferences fold, also not likely, the Big 10 will roll on and give it a try at this point. They simply cannot cancel first again given what they've already done up to this point.

Reactions: HuskerDana
At what point does a team forfeit a game? 1st time it get rescheduled and then what if they can't play the rescheduled game?

The cynic in me says that if the first two weeks of b1g games get played, rest of the season will happen. So weeks 1 and 2, can navigate those, that’s the key.

why the focus on antigen testing? if a person was exposed to covid, and recovered and naturally built antigens to the virus, would they not continue to give off positive antigen tests for months to years?

A blood test shows if you've had it and recovered, yes. But these are swab tests. The swab test only shows a positive result if you currently have the virus and it's active enough to detect.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT