ADVERTISEMENT

Husker Board posters, and who they may or not prefer for next Head Coach

In the process of doing that Red. The top choices are: Lane (9), Urban (8)
Freeze (4), O'Brien (3), Mickey (3), Aranda (3).

In addition, Lane was named 4 times as the 2nd choice.

Freeze was named 5 times as the 2nd choice.

O'Brien was named 7 times as he would be okay if the person's top choice were not selected. He also received "3 Hell NO to O'Brien" comments.

Fickle was 6 times named the 2nd choice, usually behind Meyer, Lane, Freeze.

There were actually 26 different coaches mentioned. Of that group, only 10 coaches received a post for being the top choice.

The other 16 were not selected but primarily received negative comments from the guys. When I recap, I'll include those coaches and comments.

There's nothing scientific about how I'm going to compile these, just trying to get an overall picture of what the room has posted on the subject.
There are some guys out there like Wake’s coach who might be good hires. It’s all entertainment until the guy is named. When BOB is named the man though I hope the hell no guys will get behind him. 😉

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
In the process of doing that Red. The top choices are: Lane (9), Urban (8)
Freeze (4), O'Brien (3), Mickey (3), Aranda (3).

In addition, Lane was named 4 times as the 2nd choice.

Freeze was named 5 times as the 2nd choice.

O'Brien was named 7 times as he would be okay if the person's top choice were not selected. He also received "3 Hell NO to O'Brien" comments.

Fickle was 6 times named the 2nd choice, usually behind Meyer, Lane, Freeze.

There were actually 26 different coaches mentioned. Of that group, only 10 coaches received a post for being the top choice.

The other 16 were not selected but primarily received negative comments from the guys. When I recap, I'll include those coaches and comments.

There's nothing scientific about how I'm going to compile these, just trying to get an overall picture of what the room has posted on the subject.
Thanks for working this up 123. It's kinda cool to see a snapshot of the group's mindset on some of the names being thrown around (and some that haven't been at all).

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
Barney even with his heart problems would have won more games than Frost. BTW does anybody know if Barney got his transplant?
I'll never forget the game in '78 against Alabama and Bear Bryant when it was a key situation and Barney was trying to tie his shoelaces. The play clock was running down and there Tom was on the sideline, windmilling his arms and just yelling, (paraphrasing) "just get up to the line so we can snap the ball."

One of the great games ever in Memorial Stadium.

Reactions: dinglefritz
There are some guys out there like Wake’s coach who might be good hires. It’s all entertainment until the guy is named. When BOB is named the man though I hope the hell no guys will get behind him. 😉
I'll get behind whoever Trev hires.

I'll still bitch, but it's a lot more fun to bitch when a team is winning.

Thanks for working this up 123. It's kinda cool to see a snapshot of the group's mindset on some of the names being thrown around (and some that haven't been at all).
I think as fans, we're all really impatient to see the Huskers return to some level of prominence.

The group outlook has been very interesting and I wanted anyone who wanted to participate to voice their choice and not worry about someone giving them crap about it.

We're all so far out of the hiring loop, none of us have a clue who the HC will be.

As dingle says, it could be some youngish guy who none of us have even heard of that could be the next Urban Meyer or Tom Osborne. (Or Riley/Frost).

Even though it's a game, we're still invested in the decision.

I think as fans, we're all really impatient to see the Huskers return to some level of prominence.

The group outlook has been very interesting and I wanted anyone who wanted to participate to voice their choice and not worry about someone giving them crap about it.

We're all so far out of the hiring loop, none of us have a clue who the HC will be.

As dingle says, it could be some youngish guy who none of us have even heard of that could be the next Urban Meyer or Tom Osborne. (Or Riley/Frost).

Even though it's a game, we're still invested in the decision.
That’s what’s making this season fun and interesting…Thank God TA fired SF and Chins is history too.

I like Clawson. I see though he just signed a new deal last fall, so him, Kiffin, etc are long shots to be hired here IMO

And to be quite honest, most of the guys we are legitimately talking about haven’t proven enough to merit something like 8-10 mil a year.

At this point, my money is still on Leipold

Nebraska isn’t nearly the attractive place the fans think it is.. at least to coaches

I like Clawson. I see though he just signed a new deal last fall, so him, Kiffin, etc are long shots to be hired here IMO

And to be quite honest, most of the guys we are legitimately talking about haven’t proven enough to merit something like 8-10 mil a year.

At this point, my money is still on Leipold

Nebraska isn’t nearly the attractive place the fans think it is.. at least to coaches
Drew, you can't change it now that I did the totals. j/k
I'll add Leipold to your comment with Freeze and Dykes.

At the moment, I really don't know who I'd want at HC outside of 2 choices; Meyer and Kiffin. I'm a bit resigned - trying to accept that it won't be a choice I will want, but I hope I'm wrong.
I add you to the list of Meyer as the top choice and Kiffin as acceptable if Meyer is a no-go. That's kinda how I've handled the others, so I want to stay consistent.
Thanks.
Urban, Rhule, BOB, Kiffin, and Leipold

We need a $7-8M assistant pool with the goal to bring MJ back as an assistant
Will add you to both lists.

I'll never forget the game in '78 against Alabama and Bear Bryant when it was a key situation and Barney was trying to tie his shoelaces. The play clock was running down and there Tom was on the sideline, windmilling his arms and just yelling, (paraphrasing) "just get up to the line so we can snap the ball."

One of the great games ever in Memorial Stadium.
The 1978 Alabama game was in Birmingham

I looked at 3 different threads that include posters mentioning who they would or would not like to see as the next head coach.

These will just be little snippets of their comments and are not intended to take those comments out of context.

There are about 15-20 guys who have expressed preferences one way or the other. Many were not chosen simply because I have several of them on "Ignore" and don't pay attention to anything they post.

The 3 threads I used were: Coaching rumor, Hugh Freeze, and Keep MJ as head coach.

Not in any particular order and IF I do mischaracterize something you posted, and I have misread it, feel free to clarify what your post said.

Again, I only used a snippet of some of the more lengthy posts.

We should all be in agreement that none of us know for sure what Trev's final decision will be. Every one of us is entitled to change our choice,
or our opinions as new information on coaches and situations change.

dingle: BOB and Mickey. BOB makes the most sense. Aranda doesn't make sense.

konaki: I want Mickey for several reasons. Mickey does have experience as a HC.

tinmsun: Non-committed.

Chuck003: Non-committed but not Mickey. Did mention Aranda. Lane top of his list.

dan84: Not Doeren. He would be a "give up" hire. Not for Prime, Doeren, Lane, Freeze, or Leach.
(Added) The original list included Urban, Fickell, Aranda.

scarletred: For Aranda. Prefers Aranda over Campbell, LL or Klieman.
Lane Kiffin is high on his list. BOB needs to be considered.

leodis: Doeren would be an awful hire. (Added) Urban or MJ. Also on board for the Lane Train or Whittingham.

headcard: Would love Aranda if he brings OC and OL coaches with him. Kiffin, Stoops, Ruhle would be amazing. Likes Aranda and could probably get on board with BOB.

HuskerDrew: Hugh Freeze, also Dykes at TCU. Still on Leipold.

TheHuskerFreak: Freeze should be a strong candidate.

Sinomatic: Hugh Freeze. This guy wins! NO to BOB. Prefers Meyer, Freeze, Fickell, Lane or MJ.

MetrixHusker: Freeze should be on the list.

hephusker. Prefers someone besides BOB, but would take him.

mgbreis: Mickey is the popular choice. But mgbreis doesn't elaborate.

Recruiting: MJ is not qualified to be the HC here.

Pennsy: MJ would really be a good head coach. But, he doesn't endorse him. Would love Lane.

Laner2: Barney Cotton. There I said it!

Mack In Motion: Meyer. Then Kiffin, then MJ. Hard pass on BOB.

littlespeedhuskerfan: Predicts it will be Chadwell.

Frozone: 1 Kiffin, 2 Leipold, 3 Aranda. Would be okay with BOB or Klieman.
Delirious if it were Meyer or Peterson. NO to Campbell.

flatout24: The list of coaches he does NOT want include LL, Klieman, Campbell, Fleck, Leach.

Bleed78: Meyer, Kiffin, Freeze, Fickle and MJ. Honorable mention to Chadwell and Grimes.

Baxter 48: Not sold on BOB. Any assistant coach hired should be Mickey.
Meyer and Kiffin are not coming. Would love Whittingham.

moralvictories: In order: Meyer, Freeze, Briles, Ruhle, Kiffin, Aranda, BOB,
Whittingham, Klieman, Campbel,l or Chryst. "It will take more than beating those powerhouses Rutgers and Indiana to convince me that Mickey should have the job."

Husker Sledge: Meyer, Aranda, BOB, Lane or MJ. Thinks it will be BOB.

Husker OH: If it's a Big XII coach he prefers Leopold. Feels that BOB makes
sense. His emotional side is pulling for Mickey. His analytical side say,s Lance. He feels any of the 3 should be successful, yet cautions because his landing gear is in repair.

HominidHusker: Leans towards BOB. Impressed with LL, but questions his recruiting. Ruhle, Aranda, maybe Freeze, Kiffin, Klieman, Mullen but feels these are less realistic. Hard NO on Chadwell or Calhoun types. Rooting for Mickey but thinks the risk might be too big to have immediate success. Most realistic hire is BOB.

BuckysBoy1: Vance Joseph as HC and DC.

mikecanale: "I think it's Aranda if he wants it."

TripleOption67: Meyer, Kiffin, Aranda, Whittingham, Clawson, Leipold.
Hell NO to O'Brien!

MikeRileyGBR: "Looking forward for my profile pic coming home to roost after 7 years." Lane Kiffin.

1NebrFan: Any of the following: Meyer, Fickell, Peterson, Kiffin, Freeze.
The second tier would be Aranda, Leipold, and O'Brien.

pahusker139: BOB or MJ. "I only want to consider coaches that are not
a challenge to spell."

MargotDeeper: "My heart says Ed Orgeron w/Mickey as Asst. Coach.
I think the smart move is Bill O'Brien."

HuskerHusaria: Meyer or Kiffin.

Dallasblackshirts: Urban, Ruhle, O'Brien, Kiffin and Leopold.

NikkiSixx: Mickey, Urban, O'Brien

itseasy: I could support Mickey, BOB, and Lane. I believe ANY of these 3 could find large success at NU if the following steps are taken:
1. Fire Duval and bring it a proven strength, speed, and conditioning expert;
2. Reduce the overall squad size to 110 players;
3. Spend $ 5 million dollars total for top OC/DC/DL coaches. Retain Mickey if not HC as well as Applewhite, Beckton, and Busch.
4. Use as much NIL money as possible to upgrade aspects of the weak position groups:
5. Be aggressive in the portal for available big bodies that are proven, producers. Emphasize JUCO kids that are potential Day 1 starter.

Feel free to correct any rare mistake I may have made in this thread. LOL
I am honestly curious. This is the second thread where you are doing a roll call... and even bravely calling out the entire board...

Wtf right do you have to call everyone out??
Why? What is it to you our opinions?

Last edited:
I am honestly curious. This is the second thread where you are doing a roll call... and even bravely calling out the entire board...

Looks like we're both "honestly curious."

I took those 3 threads I mentioned, combined the choices by the guys, including myself, and put them on the first thread Sunday. It was a slow day on this forum, so I created a thread, as I have a right to do.

Then, today I took those and did a cumulative total so that the room could see what the totals were. The top vote-getters were Lane, Meyer and I didn't vote for either of them.

By the way, next week I'm doing another one which was suggested by a guy,
so I guess I'll look forward to hearing from you again.

If you think I did, or I'm doing this for some nefarious reason, or have some ulterior motive, then say what's on your mind. What's the big mystery? Had anyone had an issue with it, I would have gladly removed their name and the coach(s) selected. I don't see the big deal Husker.

"Bravely calling out the entire board" LOL, has nothing to do with it. "Calling everyone out?" LOL. Where do you get that idea? Some of the guys like it, until I hear otherwise, no none else seems to have a problem with it.

There were lots of forum members who chose not to participate, and that's how the thing was set up. It was 100% optional, nothing was binding.

I don't consider what I'm doing "calling everyone out?" What you're doing is calling me out. I don't even know why I'm explaining it to you because I quit answering to people I don't even know, a lot of years ago. Since you're upset, I'll give you the courtesy of responding.

I typically don't take shit from people, you included. If you wanna continue this pissin contest, we can continue tomorrow since it's now 2:30 a.m. and I'm going to bed.

You ask: "What is it to you our opinions (your words)?" I simply give an overall view of the different coaches and how many or few votes they got, and some of the comments made. I wasn't judging anybody. When I finish this reply I'll remove you from both lists to ease your concern.

I really don't know what you're upset about.

By the way, I was in the military and I didn't do any ****ing roll call before, during or after I did either thread.

Last edited:

I took those 3 threads I mentioned, combined the choices by the guys, including myself, and put them on the first thread Sunday. It was a slow day on this forum, so I created a thread, as I have a right to do.

Then, today I took those and did a cumulative total so that the room could see what the totals were. The top vote-getters were Lane, Meyer and I didn't vote for either of them.

If you think I did, or I'm doing this for some nefarious reason, or have some ulterior motive, then say what's on your mind. What's the big mystery? Had anyone had an issue with it, I would have gladly removed their name and the coach(s) selected. I don't see the big deal Husker.

"Bravely calling out the entire board" LOL, has nothing to do with it. "Calling everyone out?" LOL. Where do you get that idea? Some of the guys like it, until I hear otherwise, no none else seems to have a problem with it.

There were lots of forum members who chose not to participate, and that's how the thing was set up. It was 100% optional, nothing was binding.

I don't consider what I'm doing "calling everyone out?" What you're doing is calling me out. I don't even know why I'm explaining it to you because I quit answering to people I don't even know, a lot of years ago. Since you're upset, I'll give you the courtesy of responding.

I typically don't take shit from people, you included. If you wanna continue this pissin contest, we can continue tomorrow since it's now 2:30 a.m. and I'm going to bed.

You ask: "What is it to you our opinions (your words)?" I simply give an overall view of the different coaches and how many or few votes they got, and some of the comments made. I wasn't judging anybody. When I finish this reply I'll remove you from both lists to ease your concern.

By the way, I was in the military and I didn't do any ****ing roll call before, during or after I did either thread.
You ****er.

cartman-poop.gif

despite all the pushback when the criteria of having P5 coordinator or previous high level D1 head coaching experience is suggested

this list and almost every other list of candidates is comprised almost entirely of candidates with one or both of those boxes checked

Last edited:

Thanks for doing this...I think it's fun and am excited to look back and see who got it right.

I looked at 3 different threads that include posters mentioning who they would or would not like to see as the next head coach.

These will just be little snippets of their comments and are not intended to take those comments out of context.

There are about 15-20 guys who have expressed preferences one way or the other. Many were not chosen simply because I have several of them on "Ignore" and don't pay attention to anything they post.

The 3 threads I used were: Coaching rumor, Hugh Freeze, and Keep MJ as head coach.

Not in any particular order and IF I do mischaracterize something you posted, and I have misread it, feel free to clarify what your post said.

We should all be in agreement that none of us know for sure what Trev's final decision will be. Every one of us is entitled to change our choice,

Chuck003: Non-committed but not Mickey. Did mention Aranda. Lane top of his list.

dan84: Not Doeren. He would be a "give up" hire. Not for Prime, Doeren, Lane, Freeze, or Leach.

leodis: Doeren would be an awful hire. (Added) Urban or MJ. Also on board for the Lane Train or Whittingham.

headcard: Would love Aranda if he brings OC and OL coaches with him. Kiffin, Stoops, Ruhle would be amazing. Likes Aranda and could probably get on board with BOB.

Sinomatic: Hugh Freeze. This guy wins! NO to BOB. Prefers Meyer, Freeze, Fickell, Lane or MJ.

Pennsy: MJ would really be a good head coach. But, he doesn't endorse him. Would love Lane.

flatout24: The list of coaches he does NOT want include LL, Klieman, Campbell, Fleck, Leach.

Bleed78: Meyer, Kiffin, Freeze, Fickle and MJ. Honorable mention to Chadwell and Grimes.

Whittingham, Klieman, Campbel,l or Chryst. "It will take more than beating those powerhouses Rutgers and Indiana to convince me that Mickey should have the job."

sense. His emotional side is pulling for Mickey. His analytical side say,s Lance. He feels any of the 3 should be successful, yet cautions because his landing gear is in repair.

HominidHusker: Leans towards BOB. Impressed with LL, but questions his recruiting. Ruhle, Aranda, maybe Freeze, Kiffin, Klieman, Mullen but feels these are less realistic. Hard NO on Chadwell or Calhoun types. Rooting for Mickey but thinks the risk might be too big to have immediate success. Most realistic hire is BOB.

Hell NO to O'Brien!

MikeRileyGBR: "Looking forward for my profile pic coming home to roost after 7 years." Lane Kiffin.

a challenge to spell."

Dallasblackshirts: Urban, Ruhle, O'Brien, Kiffin, and Leopold.

itseasy: I could support Mickey, BOB, and Lane. I believe ANY of these 3 could find large success at NU if the following steps are taken:
3. Spend $ 5 million dollars total for top OC/DC/DL coaches. Retain Mickey if not HC as well as Applewhite, Beckton, and Busch.
4. Use as much NIL money as possible to upgrade aspects of the weak position groups:
5. Be aggressive in the portal for available big bodies that are proven, producers. Emphasize JUCO kids that are potential Day 1 starter.

I would actually like Aranda if he brings his OC and OL coaches. I’m confident he will field a good defense no matter what.

Last edited:
Husker.

Please re-read what I wrote. I said, "if you wanna continue this pissin contest..."

From your post (#103) directed to me, I addressed EVERY single comment you made when I replied to you in my post (#104).

Rather than rebuttal what I said, you go the cartoon route and then create a thread about Screw I_owy hard, or something like that.

I'll see you over in that thread now.

Are we done here?

Last edited:

Hell NO to O'Brien!

a challenge to spell."

Dallasblackshirts: Urban, Ruhle, O'Brien, Kiffin, and Leopold.

Ruhle would be my top candidate but would not be unhappy with Mickey.

HuskerHusaria.

Since this little dust up/exchange happened and we both had a strong reaction, IF, and it's up to you, but IF you would like to just delete this post and the others connected to this topic, we can move forward as if it never happened.

I have no issue deleting my response(s) to you on the topic.

This forum is for guys like you and me to enjoy, as far as I'm concerned, I have no ill feelings. If you choose to delete your post, let me know and I will do the same.

The ball is in your court.

Peace out.

Entz got beat by the SDSU team that lost to Iowa. Just sayin the magic might be over in Fargo.
I still have hope for the Bison. They need to get that 230 pound FB/IB going.
I saw them a month ago on TV. I like their offense a lot more than Whipple ball.

Reactions: Minn1954
Saw this on TOS. Actually a good discussion:

What would your opinion if ____ is hired?

I’m going to include a list of 12 names I think are plausible as of today, you can sort them into the following tiers:

1. Home Run

2. Good hire

3. Okay

4. Meh

5. Sweet Jesus, why?!

12 canidates are:

Urban Meyer
Mike Gundy
Mickey Joseph
Hugh Freeze
Matt Campbell
Dave Aranda
Lane Kiffen
Chris Klienman
Dave Doeren
Lance Leipold
Bill O’Brien
Luke Fickell
Kyle Whittingham
Chris Peterson

For Me

HR - Meyer / Whittingham
GH - Gundy / Joseph / Kiffen
OH - Leipold / Fickell / Petersen
Meh - Aranda / Klieman / BOB
Sweet Jesus - Freeze / Campbell / Doeren

Saw this on TOS. Actually a good discussion:

What would your opinion if ____ is hired?

I’m going to include a list of 12 names I think are plausible as of today, you can sort them into the following tiers:

1. Home Run

2. Good hire

3. Okay

4. Meh

5. Sweet Jesus, why?!

12 canidates are:

Urban Meyer
Mike Gundy
Mickey Joseph
Hugh Freeze
Matt Campbell
Dave Aranda
Lane Kiffen
Chris Klienman
Dave Doeren
Lance Leipold
Bill O’Brien
Luke Fickell
Kyle Whittingham
Chris Peterson

For Me

HR - Meyer / Whittingham
GH - Gundy / Joseph / Kiffen
OH - Leipold / Fickell / Petersen
Meh - Aranda / Klieman / BOB
Sweet Jesus - Freeze / Campbell / Doeren
Why do you have Freeze in the sweet Jesus why category? Freeze would be a solid hire if not a home run hire.

Reactions: Sinomatic
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT