ADVERTISEMENT

Husker Board posters, and who they may or not prefer for next Head Coach

itseasyas1-2-3

Recruiting Coordinator
Sep 6, 2021
I looked at 3 different threads that include posters mentioning who they would or would not like to see as the next head coach.

These will just be little snippets of their comments and are not intended to take those comments out of context.

There are about 15-20 guys who have expressed preferences one way or the other. Many were not chosen simply because I have several of them on "Ignore" and don't pay attention to anything they post.

The 3 threads I used were: Coaching rumor, Hugh Freeze, and Keep MJ as head coach.

Not in any particular order and IF I do mischaracterize something you posted, and I have misread it, feel free to clarify what your post said.

Again, I only used a snippet of some of the more lengthy posts.

We should all be in agreement that none of us know for sure what Trev's final decision will be. Every one of us is entitled to change our choice,
or our opinions as new information on coaches and situations change.

dingle: BOB and Mickey. BOB makes the most sense. Aranda doesn't make sense.

konaki: I want Mickey for several reasons. Mickey does have experience as a HC.

tinmsun: Non-committed.

Chuck003: Non-committed but not Mickey. Did mention Aranda. Lane top of his list.

dan84: Not Doeren. He would be a "give up" hire. Not for Prime, Doeren, Lane, Freeze, or Leach.
(Added) The original list included Urban, Fickell, Aranda.

scarletred: For Aranda. Prefers Aranda over Campbell, LL or Klieman.
Lane Kiffin is high on his list. BOB needs to be considered.

leodis: Doeren would be an awful hire. (Added) Urban or MJ. Also on board for the Lane Train or Whittingham.

headcard: Would love Aranda if he brings OC and OL coaches with him. Kiffin, Stoops, Ruhle would be amazing. Likes Aranda and could probably get on board with BOB.

HuskerDrew: Hugh Freeze, also Dykes at TCU. Still on Leipold.

TheHuskerFreak: Freeze should be a strong candidate.

Sinomatic: Hugh Freeze. This guy wins! NO to BOB. Prefers Meyer, Freeze, Fickell, Lane or MJ.

MetrixHusker: Freeze should be on the list.

hephusker. Prefers someone besides BOB, but would take him.

mgbreis: Mickey is the popular choice. But mgbreis doesn't elaborate.

Recruiting: MJ is not qualified to be the HC here.

Pennsy: MJ would really be a good head coach. But, he doesn't endorse him. Would love Lane.

Laner2: Barney Cotton. There I said it!

Mack In Motion: Meyer. Then Kiffin, then MJ. Hard pass on BOB.

littlespeedhuskerfan: Predicts it will be Chadwell.

Frozone: 1 Kiffin, 2 Leipold, 3 Aranda. Would be okay with BOB or Klieman.
Delirious if it were Meyer or Peterson. NO to Campbell.

flatout24: The list of coaches he does NOT want include LL, Klieman, Campbell, Fleck, Leach.

Bleed78: Meyer, Kiffin, Freeze, Fickle and MJ. Honorable mention to Chadwell and Grimes.

Baxter 48: Not sold on BOB. Any assistant coach hired should be Mickey.
Meyer and Kiffin are not coming. Would love Whittingham.

moralvictories: In order: Meyer, Freeze, Briles, Ruhle, Kiffin, Aranda, BOB,
Whittingham, Klieman, Campbel,l or Chryst. "It will take more than beating those powerhouses Rutgers and Indiana to convince me that Mickey should have the job."

Husker Sledge: Meyer, Aranda, BOB, Lane or MJ. Thinks it will be BOB.

Husker OH: If it's a Big XII coach he prefers Leopold. Feels that BOB makes
sense. His emotional side is pulling for Mickey. His analytical side say,s Lance. He feels any of the 3 should be successful, yet cautions because his landing gear is in repair.

HominidHusker: Leans towards BOB. Impressed with LL, but questions his recruiting. Ruhle, Aranda, maybe Freeze, Kiffin, Klieman, Mullen but feels these are less realistic. Hard NO on Chadwell or Calhoun types. Rooting for Mickey but thinks the risk might be too big to have immediate success. Most realistic hire is BOB.

BuckysBoy1: Vance Joseph as HC and DC.

mikecanale: "I think it's Aranda if he wants it."

TripleOption67: Meyer, Kiffin, Aranda, Whittingham, Clawson, Leipold.
Hell NO to O'Brien!

MikeRileyGBR: "Looking forward for my profile pic coming home to roost after 7 years." Lane Kiffin.

1NebrFan: Any of the following: Meyer, Fickell, Peterson, Kiffin, Freeze.
The second tier would be Aranda, Leipold, and O'Brien.

pahusker139: BOB or MJ. "I only want to consider coaches that are not
a challenge to spell."

MargotDeeper: "My heart says Ed Orgeron w/Mickey as Asst. Coach.
I think the smart move is Bill O'Brien."

Dallasblackshirts: Urban, Ruhle, O'Brien, Kiffin, and Leopold.

NikkiSixx: Mickey, Urban, O'Brien

spartenhusker: Kiffin.

Anegada1: My top choice is Ruhle. Would not be unhappy with Mickey.

itseasy: I could support Mickey, BOB, and Lane. I believe ANY of these 3 could find large success at NU if the following steps are taken:
1. Fire Duval and bring it a proven strength, speed, and conditioning expert;
2. Reduce the overall squad size to 110 players;
3. Spend $ 5 million dollars total for top OC/DC/DL coaches. Retain Mickey if not HC as well as Applewhite, Beckton, and Busch.
4. Use as much NIL money as possible to upgrade aspects of the weak position groups:
5. Be aggressive in the portal for available big bodies that are proven, producers. Emphasize JUCO kids that are potential Day 1 starter.

Feel free to correct any rare mistake I may have made in this thread. LOL

Last edited:
I’ve been for Aranda not against him odd comment and I’ve posted O’Brien needs to be considered…Was against him till I read the article someone posted the other day..and Lane Kiffin is very high on my list.

I’ll admit I have had second thoughts on Aranda, but would rather Trev hire him than Campbell, Leipold or Klienman.

Last edited:
Well, I posted one of the earlier threads in the “put up or shutup” vein of posters dissing picks and not providing names 😁

This was my original list: Urban, Fickle, Aranda. My outside picks if all the usual suspects were not available were Chadwell and MJ.

I’m perfectly fine with most of the other names being mentioned: Rhule, BOB, LL, Kleimann, Campbell, etc. i’m less concerned with the latest result and more concerned with the body of work, meaningful wins (bowls, ranked, div/conf trophies), their ability to coach fundamentals, and P5 experience.

Easier to say who I am NOT for (with the Chadwell and MJ exceptions): non-P5 (Deion), years of mediocre at the same place (Doeren), guys that seem to have a screw loose (Lane, Freeze, the Pirate, etc).

If it is MJ, he will need to be in a bowl game or at least 5 wins. I would love to be a fly on the wall and listen to his and Trev's conversations about the job. I would also love to know who he would consider for the 2 coordinators' positions as well as the recruiting coordinator.

If it is a BigXII coach I think it will be Leipold. He has previous experience at the university and knows how to play call and win in the midwest. He has an eye for talent and would likely keep MJ on staff.

The only other person I believe that makes sense is BoB. He knows how to win in the B1G, understands the culture of coaching in the midwest, and can recruit as proven at PSU. I have not watched any Bama games so I can not comment on his play calling. He is a no-nonsense person and will get the kids to perform.

I have no preference as to which 3 get it because no matter how well you attempt to predict the outcome, it never materializes that way. My emotional side is pulling for MJ because of his love of NU and the way the players relate to him. My business side says BoB because of previous success in the B1G. My analytical side says Lance because of his success in D3 and he has won everywhere he has gone. Any of the three should be successful, but my crystal ball is in the shop getting repaired, it has no landing gear...

I looked at 3 different threads that include posters mentioning who they would or would not like to see as the next head coach.

These will just be little snippets of their comments and are not intended to take those comments out of context.

There are about 15-20 guys who have expressed preferences one way or the other. Many were not chosen simply because I have several of them on "Ignore" and don't pay attention to anything they post.

The 3 threads I used were: Coaching rumor, Hugh Freeze, and Keep MJ as head coach.

Not in any particular order and IF I do mischaracterize something you posted, and I have misread it, feel free to clarify what your post said.

Again, I only used a snippet of some of the more lengthy posts.

We should all be in agreement that none of us know for sure what Trev's final decision will be. Every one of us is entitled to change our choice,
or our opinions as new information on coaches and situations change.

dingle: BOB and Mickey. BOB makes the most sense. Aranda doesn't make sense.

konaki: Mickey.

tinmsun: Non-committed.

Chuck003: Non-committed but not Mickey. Did mention Aranda. Lane top of his list.

dan84: Not Doeren. He would be a "give up" hire.

scarletred: No to Aranda, Ruhle, LL, Campbell. Not sure about BOB or Lane.

leodis: Doeren would be an awful hire.

headcard: Would love Aranda if he brings OC and OL coaches with him.

HuskerDres: Hugh Freeze, also Dykes at TCU.

TheHuskerFreak: Freeze should be a strong candidate.

Sinomatic: Hugh Freeze. This guy wins! NO to BOB.

MetrixHusker: Freeze should be on the list.

hephusker. Prefers someone besides BOB, but would take him.

mgbreis: Mickey is the popular choice. But mgbreis doesn't elaborate.

Recruiting: MJ is not qualified to be the HC here.

Pennsy: MJ would really be a good head coach. But, he doesn't endorse him. Would love Lane.

Laner2: Barney Cotton. There I said it!

itseasy: I could support Mickey, BOB, and Lane. I believe ANY of these 3 could find large success at NU if the following steps are taken:
1. Fire Duval and bring it a proven strength, speed, and conditioning expert;
2. Reduce the overall squad size to 110 players;
3. Spend $ 5 million dollars total for top OC/DC/DL coaches. Retain Mickey if not HC as well as Applewhite, Beckton, and Busch.
4. Use as much NIL money as possible to upgrade aspects of the weak position groups:
5. Be aggressive in the portal for available big bodies that are proven, producers. Emphasize JUCO kids that are potential Day 1 starter.

Feel free to correct any rare mistake I may have made in this thread. LOL
Meyer. Then Kiffin. Then MJ. Hard pass on BoB.

I like alot of the candidates mentioned. Kiffin, Stoops, Ruhle would be amazing hires. I like Aranda and could probably get on board with BOB. Would be less than thrilled with Campbell or LL and would obviously hate PJ (but Trev isn’t that stupid).

I like alot of the candidates mentioned. Kiffin, Stoops, Ruhle would be amazing hires. I like Aranda and could probably get on board with BOB. Would be less than thrilled with Campbell or LL and would obviously hate PJ (but Trev isn’t that stupid).
Fleck isn’t even in consideration just because some blowhard put it out there..

Fleck isn’t even in consideration just because some blowhard put it out there..

For sure. There seem to be some good candidates mentioned, if actually realistic (Kiffin, Stoops, Aranda, Ruhle). The real question becomes weather you hire a Klieman, Campbell, etc or just roll with Mickey, if you can’t land one of those top guys.

Got me right.

I prefer Meyer, Freeze, Fickell, Lane or MJ

I haven't checked out Lane before but I threw him in up there, he is .710 currently at Ole Miss. 66% overall.

I'm a numbers guy when it comes to coaching. You have it or you don't.

Else give it to Mickey.

I couldn't care less what the country thinks of Nebraska in regards to coaching hires and its image. Most other fans are assholes that show up here, and growing up, outside of Chris Fowler, Nebraska never got the positive slant from the media anyhow. I don't care what they think.

1. Haven’t studied candidates hard enough, but after my early obsession with Aranda, I now lean more towards BOB.
Very impressed with Leipold, my question is recruiting.

2. Would be very happy with Fickell, Stoops,
Rhule, Aranda and maybe Freeze, Kiffin, Kleiman, Mullen - but my gut is telling me they’re less realistic for varied reasons.
I’m a pretty hard NO on the Chadwell or Calhoun choices.

3. Then there’s MJ. I’m rooting for him, but if I strip away his alma mater tag, I think the risk might be too big with him if we want any chance at immediate success. Also want to know the level of assistants he could bring aboard (e.g. could he somehow get his brother Vance to come?). I’m also ok with rolling the dice, just hard to objectively say he’s our best path forward beyond some stability/continuity/recruiting and feel good story.

4. When it comes to the most realistic hires, I’m looking at BOB hopefully keeping MJ on staff.
I do not think we have great odds of keeping MJ at all if he’s not the head coach.

5. Others have said it, but I’m reasonably confident in saying anyone Trev picks is gonna be an upgrade. Our bar sunk very, very low.

Reactions: jsachisler
I’ve tried to stay open-minded. Nearly all of them would be such an improvement over what we’ve dealt with the past 5 years that I’ve been relatively neutral in this search (either that, or you have me on ignore, lol). Plus, I’m just an 8-year board walk-on with 300 posts, so nobody cares where I throw my support. But if I had to take a stand:

1-Kiffin
2-Leipold
3-Aranda

-I’d be fine with BoB or Klieman.

-Skeptical of Rhule because I think he’d bolt at the first opportunity.

-Would be deliriously happy if we somehow landed Meyer or Peterson.

-Don’t want Campbell.

-Want Mickey to stay, but not as head coach.

I’ve been for Aranda not against him odd comment and I’ve posted O’Brien needs to be considered…Was against him till I read the article someone posted the other day..and Lane Kiffin is very high on my list.

I’ll admit I have had second thoughts on Aranda, but would rather Trev hire him than Campbell, Leipold or Klienman.
I forgot to mention none of these comments are binding.

I reworded your post.

Easier to say who I don’t want of the names mentioned:
Leipold
Kleiman
Campbell
Fleck
The Pirate
MJ but want on staff

Reactions: headcard
Meyer. Then Kiffin. Then MJ. Hard pass on BoB.
Added to the above list.
Well, I posted one of the earlier threads in the “put up or shutup” vein of posters dissing picks and not providing names 😁

This was my original list: Urban, Fickle, Aranda. My outside picks if all the usual suspects were not available were Chadwell and MJ.

I’m perfectly fine with most of the other names being mentioned: Rhule, BOB, LL, Kleimann, Campbell, etc. i’m less concerned with the latest result and more concerned with the body of work, meaningful wins (bowls, ranked, div/conf trophies), their ability to coach fundamentals, and P5 experience.

Easier to say who I am NOT for (with the Chadwell and MJ exceptions): non-P5 (Deion), years of mediocre at the same place (Doeren), guys that seem to have a screw loose (Lane, Freeze, the Pirate, etc).
Added comments to your post in this thread.

Reactions: scarletred
Got me right.

I prefer Meyer, Freeze, Fickell, Lane or MJ

I haven't checked out Lane before but I threw him in up there, he is .710 currently at Ole Miss. 66% overall.

I'm a numbers guy when it comes to coaching. You have it or you don't.

Else give it to Mickey.

I couldn't care less what the country thinks of Nebraska in regards to coaching hires and its image. Most other fans are assholes that show up here, and growing up, outside of Chris Fowler, Nebraska never got the positive slant from the media anyhow. I don't care what they think.
Added to your original comments.

Reactions: Sinomatic
Probably as risky as Mickey, but like Mickey, I wouldn't hate it. So long as top name assistant coaches are a part of the plan and requirement by Trev.
Rather have Mickey.. he has coached in the SEC, no way TA brings in someone that hasn’t coach games in the Power 5 conference’s..

Chadwell is too much of a gamble when we’re entering the new B1G conference in two years..

I’ve tried to stay open-minded. Nearly all of them would be such an improvement over what we’ve dealt with the past 5 years that I’ve been relatively neutral in this search (either that, or you have me on ignore, lol). Plus, I’m just an 8-year board walk-on with 300 posts, so nobody cares where I throw my support. But if I had to take a stand:

1-Kiffin
2-Leipold
3-Aranda

-I’d be fine with BoB or Klieman.

-Skeptical of Rhule because I think he’d bolt at the first opportunity.

-Would be deliriously happy if we somehow landed Meyer or Peterson.

-Don’t want Campbell.

-Want Mickey to stay, but not as head coach.
Added your name and comments to the list of posters.

Reactions: Frozone
Rather have Mickey.. he has coached in the SEC, no way TA brings in someone that hasn’t coach games in the Power 5 conference’s..

Chadwell is too much of a gamble when we’re entering the new B1G conference in two years..
If trev hires a former assistant coach it better be Mickey, not sold on BoB simply I think he’d jump at the next chance to coach in the NFL. Meyer and kiffin aren’t coming. I personally would love to see Kyle Whittingham

If trev hires a former assistant coach it better be Mickey, not sold on BoB simply I think he’d jump at the next chance to coach in the NFL. Meyer and kiffin aren’t coming. I personally would love to see Kyle Whittingham
Added you to the mix Baxter.

You pay BOB well enough and treat him right and he would stay. We can match just about anybody salary wise.

Reactions: Anegada1
ADVERTISEMENT