ADVERTISEMENT

Husker Baseball vs Creighton

What the hell? Did anyone else see that commercial? UNL has a cow with a hole in its side so people can stick their hand in to feel their stomach? WTF?

Reactions: Bill_Callahan2.0
Finally out of that mess. On to the Bot 8th.
To be fair, that was a pitcher making his first appearance of the season. In a much closer game, he would never have even been in the game, and even if he was, he would have been pulled pretty quickly. When you build a double digit run lead, you can handle a never-used pitcher giving up some runs.

To be fair, that was a pitcher making his first appearance of the season. In a much closer game, he would never have even been in the game, and even if he was, he would have been pulled pretty quickly. When you build a double digit run lead, you can handle a never-used pitcher giving up some runs.

Thanks for the backstory. I am not unreasonable. We are all human. Except for 4.6.3. He's a bot!

What the hell? Did anyone else see that commercial? UNL has a cow with a hole in its side so people can stick their hand in to feel their stomach? WTF?
I always thought the old fashioned way of sticking your arm up the rear end sufficed just fine. Pulled 100s of calves that way.

One of the oddities of college baseball - this game can go on until the wee hours of the morning, but consequential conference series finales have a time limit.

How many midweek games do you have to catch a flight after? I dont think it is so much of when the game will end if there wasnt a flight to catch. Maybe I am wrong but that is the only way I can try to make sense of it.

How many midweek games do you have to catch a flight after? I dont think it is so much of when the game will end if there wasnt a flight to catch. Maybe I am wrong but that is the only way I can try to make sense of it.
Yes, I know the time limit is because baseball teams use commercial flights. But I would think you could either book later flights or adjust the start time of the Sunday games. Apparently later flights are a problem because they would get the players back to their own campus later and cut into their study time - but I'll go out on a limb and say that most players have figured out how to study on the road these days, if they are so inclined. And pushing the start time up might ruffle some fans' feathers, but less so than sitting through an entire game that ends in a tie.

Reactions: donahues17
Yes, I know the time limit is because baseball teams use commercial flights. But I would think you could either book later flights or adjust the start time of the Sunday games. Apparently later flights are a problem because they would get the players back to their own campus later and cut into their study time - but I'll go out on a limb and say that most players have figured out how to study on the road these days, if they are so inclined. And pushing the start time up might ruffle some fans' feathers, but less so than sitting through an entire game that ends in a tie.
If teams are flying Commercial, I'd imagine it's not simply an issue if studying but probably having no available flight to get home at all on Sunday. That would require coordination to set up hotel rooms on no notice, then rebooking flights the next day if you're lucky.

If teams are flying Commercial, I'd imagine it's not simply an issue if studying but probably having no available flight to get home at all on Sunday. That would require coordination to set up hotel rooms on no notice, then rebooking flights the next day if you're lucky.
So if there's really only one flight available, announce well in advance that you are moving up the game time to accommodate it. As a fan, would you rather miss the first two innings of a game, or watch it end in a tie?

It's not like the IU-Nebraska game was a 13-13 slugfest that took five hours to play and had to be called after 15 innings. It was a 1-1 game in which the teams had to start clock management in about the 8th inning. Sure, there could still be a crazy, marathon game here and there that just has to end in a tie - but this wasn't it.

Last edited:
according to the official UN station the flight they had originally booked had a take off time of around 7 the airline changed the take off time They evidently book flights well in advance so the whole travel party can go on the same flight just what I heard on the radio Monday night and no I don't use punctuation

Coordinating travel for a group of 30, isn't easy, especially when you are flying into smaller airports like Omaha and Lincoln. There simply aren't flights on the hour from Bloomington to Lincoln. Then consider the players need to shower after a game, get to the airport in a reasonable time pre-flight and the NCAA requires these players are fed. Then factor in the loading of the equipment. There is just more to it than getting a later flight.

according to the official UN station the flight they had originally booked had a take off time of around 7 the airline changed the take off time They evidently book flights well in advance so the whole travel party can go on the same flight just what I heard on the radio Monday night and no I don't use punctuation
Well that makes a bit more sense, and explains how a relatively fast-moving 1-1 game could end up under a time crunch. Still think the game could have been pushed up by another hour without anyone going too nuts about it, but thanks for letting me know about the unusual circumstances.

Did anyone have 1620 on this morning at about 7:45? There was a Jay fan just crushing Servais. Seems like the move to the Big East really set their program back. Nice to know there's another in-state school that wants a coach fired. o_O

Did anyone have 1620 on this morning at about 7:45? There was a Jay fan just crushing Servais. Seems like the move to the Big East really set their program back. Nice to know there's another in-state school that wants a coach fired. o_O

Seems like fielding a winning baseball team at Creighton could be a pretty tall order going forward. Not saying they should keep or fire the guy, but that is not going to be an easy place to win at.

There was a lot said about how our move to the B1G would hurt our baseball program. Much less was said about how Creighton's move to the Big East would hurt their's, and I would say their's has been hurt much more by changing conferences than ours has. The Big East is currently 15th in conference RPI. The Big Ten is 7th.

The Big East didn't hurt Creighton in baseball. The Big East, like the Valley, is a 1 or 2 berth league. This year, if someone other than St John's win the conference tournament they will get 2.
The Valley will on ocassion get 2, but that was more to Dallas Baptist joining after Creighton left than anything else. Wichita St leaving for the American will kill the Valley in baseball.

Reactions: saluno22
The MVC often got 2 teams in the tournament before Dallas Baptist joined. They got 3 in 2012(without Dallas Baptist) and 2015(2 besides Dallas Baptist). The Big East has been a 1 bid league all 3 years of the "new" Big East(with Creighton) and will be this year unless somebody other than St. John's wins the conference tournament. I'm not sure how much the MVC would be hurt by Wichita State leaving-they haven't been all that great in baseball the last few years. About 10 years ago, that would have been devastating to them in baseball-now, not so much. It will hurt them much more in basketball.

I still don't see how it hurts their program.

Valley bids

2013 1 bid
2012 3 - one was a sub.500 Creighton
2011 - 1
2010 - 1
2009 - 1
2008 - 1

So outside of 1 year the Valley with Creighton is the same as the Big East with Creighton.

I still don't see how it hurts their program.

Valley bids

2013 1 bid
2012 3 - one was a sub.500 Creighton
2011 - 1
2010 - 1
2009 - 1
2008 - 1

So outside of 1 year the Valley with Creighton is the same as the Big East with Creighton.
It means it is tougher to get an at-large bid. Creighton won the conference regular season championship in 2014 and finished in 2nd in 2016 with 38 wins and failed to get an at-large bid either time. Look at conference RPI-in 2014, the MVC was 7th, while the Big East was 18th. In 2015, the MVC was 6th, while the Big East was 18th. In 2016, the MVC was 9th, while the Big East was 16th. This year, the MVC is 9th, while the Big East is 15th. With a conference RPI that low, it is next to impossible to get an at-large bid unless you go on a huge unusual run like St. Johns is doing this year.

You are comparing the Valley now to the Big East now. That is pointless.

In order to determine the impact on Creighton's program what does the Valley 2014-2017 have to do with it?

From 2008 to 2016, with the exception of 1 year, the league Creighton was associated with earned a single bid to the NCAA tournament. Their situation did not change. In order for Creighton to get a berth, they need to win their league tournament. That was the case from 2008-2013 in the Valley and 2014-2017 in the Big East. Everything else is hypothetical and supposition.

You are comparing the Valley now to the Big East now. That is pointless.

In order to determine the impact on Creighton's program what does the Valley 2014-2017 have to do with it?

From 2008 to 2016, with the exception of 1 year, the league Creighton was associated with earned a single bid to the NCAA tournament. Their situation did not change. In order for Creighton to get a berth, they need to win their league tournament. That was the case from 2008-2013 in the Valley and 2014-2017 in the Big East. Everything else is hypothetical and supposition.

SUPPOSITION!

You are comparing the Valley now to the Big East now. That is pointless..
How is it pointless to show where they would be now if they hadn't left? That's the whole point of comparing conference RPI between 2014 to now-if they weren't in the BIg East over those years, they would have been in the MVC. Hence, they would have been playing in a conference with a higher RPI. You could argue that was just because of adding Dallas Baptist, but in 2014 and 2015, the MVC got at-large bids by teams other than Dallas Baptist. You can't prove that Creighton would have got at-large bids the last 3 years if they were still in the MVC, but they would have had a better chance than they do in the Big East. I admit I don't follow Creighton baseball very closely except to look at their record when they play Nebraska-maybe there's just been an overall decline in the quality of the team.

Last edited:
My point is that the move to the Big East didn't hurt their program. The program is the same as it was. Since 1990, they have won 40 games or more 6 times, and each of those times the received a NCAA berth. In 1999 and 2000, the won 38 games and were awarded an at large bid. Other than those two seasons, it's 40 wins, conference tournament or no bid.

If they win 40 or more games in the Big East, they will get an at large, if they don't, they will have to win the post season tourney. it should be easier to win 40 in the Big East but apparently it isn't.

My point is that the move to the Big East didn't hurt their program. The program is the same as it was. Since 1990, they have won 40 games or more 6 times, and each of those times the received a NCAA berth. In 1999 and 2000, the won 38 games and were awarded an at large bid. Other than those two seasons, it's 40 wins, conference tournament or no bid.

If they win 40 or more games in the Big East, they will get an at large, if they don't, they will have to win the post season tourney. it should be easier to win 40 in the Big East but apparently it isn't.
And my point is that you need to look at where the MVC is now vs. where the Big East is now, because if they weren't in the Big East, they would still be in the MVC. That is the key which you seem to be ignoring. You are looking solely at what they left vs. where they are now. But it's all about where they would be now if they hadn't left. Clearly, the MVC is much better now than the Big East is-hence, being in a weaker conference makes it harder to get an at-large bids because of a weaker schedule giving you a weaker RPI, it makes it harder to schedule the kind of teams you need to help your RPI because better teams don't want to schedule as many teams from weaker conferences, and it can hurt in recruiting too.. 7th vs. 18th in 2014. 6th vs. 18th in 2015. 9th vs. 16th in 2016. 9th vs. 15th this year. That is the difference between the conference RPIs of the MVC and the Big East since they left. I just don't see how you can look at the clear disparity between where the MVC has been since they left vs. where the Big East has been and say they wouldn't be better off if they were still in the MVC. Of course, baseball wasn't really considered as a factor when they changed conferences. I'm not even saying it should have been. But would they be better off now if they were still in the MVC for baseball? I think it's clear they would have been.
Look at this as well. Since 2005, they have never gone 5 years without making the NCAA tournament. Barring a run in the Big East Tournament this year, this year will mark the 5th straight year they haven't made the NCAA tournament. What's the biggest change that has gone on in that period? No coaching change. But they have changed conferences. Again, I don't see how somebody could look at that and say that changing conferences has had no negative effect on the program. Something clearly has changed for the worse in their program.

Last edited:
They've had a critter with a rumen fistula in it every year since at least the 70s. The hole has a cap that can be removed and replaced. I don't know when they started hauling him around to schools. The critter leads a very cushy life as a research subject with a hole in it's side. If I remember correctly the stall they keep him in is heated and air conditioned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT