ADVERTISEMENT

Husker baseball adds transfer pitcher from Texas A&M

HuskerFan31

Administrator
Sep 10, 2006
The Nebraska baseball team lost three pitchers in the Major League Baseball Draft, and then added one from the transfer portal.
Mason Ornelas, who spent the first two seasons of his college career at Texas A&M, announced Tuesday he was transferring to Lincoln.

A 6-foot, 210-pound right-hander, Ornelas struck out 42 and walked 12 out of the bullpen in the recently completed season for the Aggies, allowing 21 earned runs in 37 innings pitched for a 5.11 ERA. His 18 appearances were tied for the fourth-most on A&M's staff.
As a freshman in the pandemic-shortened 2020 season, Ornelas made five appearances and threw 6⅓ innings, striking out nine and walking one with a 1.42 ERA.

Ornelas has three seasons of eligibility remaining.
The transfer is the first major public move for Nebraska as it begins restocking its pitching staff after closer Spencer Schwellenbach, starter Cade Povich, and reliever Cam Wynne were all picked in the MLB Draft. Schwellenbach and Wynne are off to the pros, while Povich will almost certainly go that direction as well.

The addition of Ornelas adds more A&M flavor to the Nebraska program, after former Aggies coach Rob Childress was hired over the weekend as director of player development.

LJS

I find it odd Wynn chose to go pro. I’m guessing he just hit his ceiling? I guess is age makes some sense. Make that money Wynn!

I find it odd Wynn chose to go pro. I’m guessing he just hit his ceiling? I guess is age makes some sense. Make that money Wynn!

Struggled at Johnson County CC, although at one time he was rated as the #5 JUCO player in the country with tremendous upside. Struggled at aTm, with velo of 96-98. The knock has always been throwing strikes.

Insert coach Christy at NU. Cam had a choice, continue throwing upper 90's or take some off, with control, and be a part of the bullpen. Cam made the right choice and now, he can reap the benefits.

Besides all of that, he's 22.6 years old. For the 2022 draft he'll be 23.6, and that's too big of a risk. Matter of fact, I don't see any reward for Cam to return as all indications are the 2023 draft will go back to younger players with leverage.

Sorry for the lengthy reply.

Struggled at Johnson County CC, although at one time he was rated as the #5 JUCO player in the country with tremendous upside. Struggled at aTm, with velo of 96-98. The knock has always been throwing strikes.

Insert coach Christy at NU. Cam had a choice, continue throwing upper 90's or take some off, with control, and be a part of the bullpen. Cam made the right choice and now, he can reap the benefits.

Besides all of that, he's 22.6 years old. For the 2022 draft he'll be 23.6, and that's too big of a risk. Matter of fact, I don't see any reward for Cam to return as all indications are the 2023 draft will go back to younger players with leverage.

Sorry for the lengthy reply.
Nope, makes sense and what I was thinking. For some odd reason it caught me off guard but as I typed I thought about his current situation and it made sense. Good luck to the kid and glad he gets a chance to live out his dreams.

I thought we'd get some action with A&M portal guys. There are several more of them out there.

We have a lot of interest not only from grad transfers but transfers in general. Quite a few quality arms included.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT