ADVERTISEMENT

Hung this post on "The Fort" Michigan board...

Jul 10, 2018
Good luck Huskers. Michigan boy still loving the corn.

Thread titled "Will Scott Frost return Nebraska to a national power'(or words to that effect...lol

over 80 posts... generally downplaying the program....

Here is my take.

""
Having been born and raised in Michigan.....GoBlue and then because of the military ...having spent close to 12 years in Bellevue Nebraska 86-98...I am in a good position to add to this thread (I think...lol)

I have always been a home boy with the Wolverines...yet I became a Husker fan in a huge way during the 80's and 90's...how could you not, especially living in the state. The Osborn teams were true works of art.... monsters and they almost always won. What was there not to like (spair me the T stories and Phillips)....ever team has a 'that guy'...

So, Where are the Huskers today? Well, I can tell you from personal friends who are solid alum donors to UNL...they are better off in EVERY way than they have been in 20 years.

Look at Frosts coaching.....pedigree...(and results thus far) if you don't already know it....sit down before you read it. This guy is the real deal.... and respectfully ...if any Michigan fan thinks that Nebraska is not going to make a huge difference in the east....your maize/blue delusional. It may take him 2/3 years to be 'scary good'.....but scary good they will become.....and the Big10 will have to adjust.

I hope (and believe) we will be scarier...and even better.""

Best to all Husker fans....from a GoBlue Husker.

Go Big Red.

Thread titled "Will Scott Frost return Nebraska to a national power'(or words to that effect...lol

Here is my take.

""
Having been born and raised in Michigan.....GoBlue and then because of the military ...having spent close to 12 years in Bellevue Nebraska 86-98...I am in a good position to add to this thread (I think...lol)

I have always been a home boy with the Wolverines...yet I became a Husker fan in a huge way during the 80's and 90's...how could you not, especially living in the state. The Osborn teams were true works of art.... monsters and they almost always won. What was there not to like (spair me the T stories and Phillips)....ever team has a 'that guy'...

So, Where are the Huskers today? Well, I can tell you from personal friends who are solid alum donors to UNL...they are better off in EVERY way than they have been in 20 years.

Look at Frosts coaching.....pedigree...(and results thus far) if you don't already know it....sit down before you read it. This guy is the real deal.... and respectfully ...if any Michigan fan thinks that Nebraska is not going to make a huge difference in the east....your maize/blue delusional. It may take him 2/3 years to be 'scary good'.....but scary good they will become.....and the Big10 will have to adjust.

Go Big Red.

Very cool post. I'm the opposite way! I grew up in Omaha and then did my master's at UofM. If Harbaugh can get the Michigan offensive line to show up and Shea is able to manage the game then Michigan will the East. Their defense is that good. Go Blue and GBR!

Reactions: GoBluePureMichigan

Here is my take.

""

Go Big Red.
giphy.gif

Outside of Tom Herman, Frosty was the hottest coach on the market in the last few years and he could have gone anywhere he wanted. He chose Nebraska, and if you're an employer you try to pick the guy who wats to be there, not just a guy who sings for the cashola. I like our chances.

Cool post OP! Although I find Harbaugh strange and know that plenty of people are not huge fans of him, I really could care less about that because he has proven himself everywhere he's been. San Diego, Stanford, San Fran...No it hasn't been an ideal 3-year start to his tenure at Michigan, but college football fanatics seem to forget Michigan lost 43 seniors at the end of the 2016 season and have had to do a complete overhaul job since then. I'm actually a little amazed they went 8-4 last year.

And I say this with no grains of salt: I think Michigan will win the East this year, and make the College Football Playoff. Harbaugh finally has his guy who can sling it with confidence and a defense that is as nasty as his 2015 defense—maybe nastier. No matter what happens with Urb, I think Michigan wins the Big Ten this year.

Here is my take.

""

Go Big Red.

UPDATE.....

Post is actually holding its own....50/50. Lots of respect on The Fort for Big Red...!

Here is a typical responce and my short answer to it....then I'm out.

One WEEK guys...and the fun starts. Good luck.....Go Big Red

GoBlue

Mentioned it in another post in response to the OP who doesn't like to reply lol. What is your definition of scary good??? I think they can make a difference in the West and make it more of a challenge for Wisconsin to just skate to the title game every year but I don't see them replacing Wisconsin as the class of the West.

As for Frost, he has coached 2 years in his career so far. Yup, he had a great year at UCF last year, but Brady Hoke had a great year at Ball State (12-1 since he didn't coach their bowl game) before he went to SDSU and then Michigan. They are obviously very different coaches but I only make that connection to show that other coaches have coached 1 great season at a non-power 5 team and then moved on and that did not guarantee success as they moved up.

I would argue that if you look objectively and remove your second favorite team bias or playing off your words your red/white/corn bias there is nothing that I see in Scott Frost's two seasons at UCF that guarantees he can be a huge success at Nebraska. He had a 6-7 year in his first season and then a great 13-0 second year. I am interested to see what UCF does this year and the next to see how his UCF recruits fair. Frost didn't have time to build a program there, so his ability to recruit his own teams is still a question mark. As many have alluded too, a different dynamic trying to recruit to Nebraska vs. Orlando Florida.

My Response:

What do I mean by 'scary good'

Fair question.

I believe that within 5-6 years that having Nebraska on your schedule will be like have to face Alabama or Ohio State right now.

'Scary Good'.

Consistent 'ass kick' good

A Saturday that you look forward ward to in a painful kind of way.

Elite.

When I think sports in Michigan.....I think Wolverines… Spartans…Red Wings… Tigers… Lions…

Nebraska? Huskers.

They are a closed circuit football factory. What they did in the 80's and 90's was no fluke. It can be repeated....just need the right fuel and spark.

Have fun watching it happen... Glad they are in the B10 now...a rising tide lifts all ships.

GoBlue.

Reactions: HBK4life
UPDATE.....

Post is actually holding its own....50/50. Lots of respect on The Fort for Big Red...!

GoBlue

My Response:

Fair question.

I believe that within 5-6 years that having Nebraska on your schedule will be like have to face Alabama or Ohio State right now.

'Scary Good'.

Elite.

When I think sports in Michigan.....I think Wolverines… Spartans…Red Wings… Tigers… Lions…

Nebraska? Huskers.

They are a closed circuit football factory. What they did in the 80's and 90's was no fluke. It can be repeated....just need the right fuel and spark.

Have fun watching it happen... Glad they are in the B10 now...a rising tide lifts all ships.

GoBlue.

I’m going to go ahead and play the percentages once again and say we arent going to be Alabama in 5 or 6 years. I’m sorry but that is ridiculous. Saying Nebraska will be the next Alabama in 5 years is like saying Ben Stille is going to be the next Grant Wistrom.

Those types of predictions are embarrassing enough on our own board let alone making those claims on another teams site.

Nobody is saying we'll be Alabama, but I fully expect that within 3-5 years we should be dethroning Wisconsin as the class of the West. Wisconsin has built a very stable, solid program, but what they do is not innovative, its actually a look back at what Nebraska used to do, just with less nasty D and less option football. Frost is rebuilding Nebraska to be big, strong, and mean, but also use cutting edge offensive techniques learned from Kelly at Oregon. Wisconsin may beat you 30-0, but I expect Nebraska to start beating teams 50-xxx the way Oregon used to and UCF was able to do often last year.

Is the East stronger? Yeah. Michigan will be good to great every year that Harbaugh is there unless they lose a ton of players and have a true rebuilding year. Penn State, though they shouldn't even have a football program, looks like they're back to being good. Then we have Michigan State, whom I view as the "gut check" team in the East; if you can beat MSU convincingly, you have a shot at beating UM, PSU, and tOSU.

And then we have Ohio State. If Urban Meyer stays, they will always be the team to beat in the East. If he goes, they'll be good to great but who knows, depending on the coaching hire.

Nobody is saying we'll be Alabama, .

The OP is saying exactly that -- " I believe that within 5-6 years that having Nebraska on your schedule will be like have to face Alabama or Ohio State right now."

that is a direct quote - posted on the Michigan board - a pay site no less so other Husker fans aren't able to give a more reasoned response

The OP is saying exactly that -- " I believe that within 5-6 years that having Nebraska on your schedule will be like have to face Alabama or Ohio State right now."

that is a direct quote - posted on the Michigan board - a pay site no less so other Husker fans aren't able to give a more reasoned response

To each there own Jib.....talk to me in 5-6 years.

SOMEBODY will be the "Alabama" in 5-6 years....why not the Huskers under Coach Frost?

Not telling you 'not' to believe....but to start out by diminishing expectations? 5-6 years in College football is a lifetime...... it is not so hard to 'see it' after watching Dr. Tom's teams of not that long ago....and knowing not only can it happen in Nebraska.....it already has.

...and I believe it will again.

Go Big Red

Go Blue

Last edited:
I’m going to go ahead and play the percentages once again and say we arent going to be Alabama in 5 or 6 years. I’m sorry but that is ridiculous. Saying Nebraska will be the next Alabama in 5 years is like saying Ben Stille is going to be the next Grant Wistrom.

Those types of predictions are embarrassing enough on our own board let alone making those claims on another teams site.
Next Alabama, probably not. Competing for B1G titles year in and year out, yes.

Frost taking over at Nebraska is going to garner a lot of comparisons to Harbaugh taking over at Michigan.
Many on this site are very underwhelmed by Harbaugh's 1st 3 years at Michigan - dare I say that is the prevailing opinion here.

How do people think Frost's 1st 3 years are going to compare to Harbaugh's at Michigan? Harbaugh - won 10 games, 10 games and 8 games his first 3 years. He has a been ranked 10th and 12th in 2 of those years. Was on the very short list of national title contenders going into the final game of his 2nd season and had his team in a major bowl (Orange Bowl).

Are people going to display the same disappointment if Frost doesn't surpass these results?

Harbaugh took over a program that had won 20 total games and 12 BIG games the prior 3 years. Frost is taking over a program that won 19 and 12 - so almost identical. Harbaugh's must win game is OSU - Frost's is Iowa.

Frost taking over at Nebraska is going to garner a lot of comparisons to Harbaugh taking over at Michigan.
Many on this site are very underwhelmed by Harbaugh's 1st 3 years at Michigan - dare I say that is the prevailing opinion here.

How do people think Frost's 1st 3 years are going to compare to Harbaugh's at Michigan? Harbaugh - won 10 games, 10 games and 8 games his first 3 years. He has a been ranked 10th and 12th in 2 of those years. Was on the very short list of national title contenders going into the final game of his 2nd season and had his team in a major bowl (Orange Bowl).

Are people going to display the same disappointment if Frost doesn't surpass these results?

Harbaugh took over a program that had won 20 total games and 12 BIG games the prior 3 years. Frost is taking over a program that won 19 and 12 - so almost identical. Harbaugh's must win game is OSU - Frost's is Iowa.

Good stuff JIB.....

I think the 'easy' answer is FOCUS.

Coach Harbaugh is not the king of 'focus'....lol

If you talk with 10 Michigan fans and ask their take on Harbaugh....

3 will say Savior of the Michigan way of life....

3 will say he is the worst thing that ever happened to the program....

4 will smile....shake their head and defer on the question....lol

Watch 'anything' with Coach Harbaugh as the subject and you come away with the feeling that he is an enigma....you just 'don't know'....

This IS the year that his form of 'Harbaugh crazy' must take hold and sets fire to the program.....OR the program finishes 8-5 or so....and is the year he starts to look again to //or leaves for the NFL. IMHO

Now....back to FOCUS.

Coach Frost is the picture at google's webpage about focus...lol

He is simply just 'locked in'...you can see it in his actions...hear it in the interviews....almost in a 'unhealthy' way....( as all GREAT athletes/coaches) have always been. Certain people have the 'talent/curse to sell their souls into a cause.....and to shape, by their sheer tenacious of their will, the object of their focus. For Scott....it is...and always has been...and always will be Nebraska Cornhusker Football.

He just simply doesn't know how to loose.... He Refuses to lose......and that mentality is now being IV passed down and into his team.... and the program grows into this 'anything is possible and CAN BE done' attitude.

There will be bumps for the Huskers for sure....but my money is on the total revival of the Great Big Red program.....Part II...:)

Great things ahead.....bank on it.

Go Big Red

GoBlue.

UPDATE.....

GoBlue

My Response:

Fair question.

'Scary Good'.

Elite.

Nebraska? Huskers.

GoBlue.

Well, we had some pretty good teams in the 70's too. Now w/HCSF &staff......it's going to be fun once again!

Great things ahead.....bank on it.

"bank" gets my attention ... if someone was willing to wager a sizable amount on whether Nebraska wins a national title in the next 6 years (you said more than once we would be Alabama in this time frame) ... I would bank heavily on no.

I don't suppose you would take that wager?

and you didn't answer my question -- Will Frost accomplish more at Nebraska his first 3 years than Harbaugh at Michigan in his first 3?

"bank" gets my attention ... if someone was willing to wager a sizable amount on whether Nebraska wins a national title in the next 6 years (you said more than once we would be Alabama in this time frame) ... I would bank heavily on no.

I don't suppose you would take that wager?

and you didn't answer my question -- Will Frost accomplish more at Nebraska his first 3 years than Harbaugh at Michigan in his first 3?

Yes, I think I would....year 5 perhaps.

Yes, I think he will.

This year......7-5

2019.... 9 wins

2020... sky is the limit.

2021...maybe takes it all.

Michigan fans that are underwhelmed with Harbaugh point to his 1-5 record vs OSU and MSU. Part of the frustration is UM is 1-13 vs OSU in the last 14 games and 2-8 vs MSU. I agree that the Frost & Harbaugh hirings have a lot of similarities, but those two rivalry games put a different spin on it for Michigan.

Michigan fans that are underwhelmed with Harbaugh point to his 1-5 record vs OSU and MSU. Part of the frustration is UM is 1-13 vs OSU in the last 14 games and 2-8 vs MSU. I agree that the Frost & Harbaugh hirings have a lot of similarities, but those two rivalry games put a different spin on it for Michigan.

Oops sorry for the multiple posts. It was showing as not going thru on my phone,

Agree .... We don’t have an OSU type rivalry .. the game we have to win is Iowa ... and to be fair he would be 2-1 against MSU if his punter could field a punt.

Harbaugh and OSU is similar to TO and Oklahoma early on.

My post wasn’t necessarily directed at Michigan fans being underwhelmed. It is the posters here who are underwhelmed with Harbaughs 1st 3 years at Michigan. I think Frost is going to be hard pressed to match or exceed harbaughs 1st 3 years and I wonder what the response here will be.

And for the OP to claim we are going to be Alabama in 5 years is just pure lunacy.

Last edited:
Reactions: LRob
Agree .... We don’t have an OSU type rivalry .. the game we have to win is Iowa ... and to be fair he would be 2-1 against MSU if his punter could field a punt.

And for the OP to claim we are going to be Alabama in 5 years is just pure lunacy.

73bl.gif

You'll seeLaughing

73bl.gif

You'll seeLaughing

You said you would be willing to bet .... on the off chance you would actually pay let’s say

$5000 on whether Nebraska wins the national title (in football) in the next 5 years. If another poster can keep this on the radar and broker the payment I will give 10%

You said you would be willing to bet .... on the off chance you would actually pay let’s say

$5000 on whether Nebraska wins the national title (in football) in the next 5 years. If another poster can keep this on the radar and broker the payment I will give 10%

Guess if I put in a bet ...I would use a real service....

But now I have a good natured question for you Jib.....why are you SO SURE that Nebraska can NOT be "once again" what they were not so long ago??

How are you so sure of the inability of Coach Frost to take the program to those heights?

Guess if I put in a bet ...I would use a real service....

But now I have a good natured question for you Jib.....why are you SO SURE that Nebraska can NOT be "once again" what they were not so long ago??

How are you so sure of the inability of Coach Frost to take the program to those heights?

I’m not sure ... anything is possible. I am just estimating how probable I think it is that Nebraska will win a national title in the next 5 years. And if I can find anyone stupid enough to make that bet I am happy to oblige. I am always looking for investment opportunities.

I am sure you could find any number of bookies that would take that bet. I on the other hand wouldn’t find a single one.

FYI it’s pretty damn hard to win a national title We aren’t talking about a conf title, making the playoffs or even just playing in the title game

If you are defining whether someone doubts Frost on whether they guarantee he is going to win a NC in the next 5 years then everyone on here save you and a few other loons doubts Frost

Last edited:
I’m not sure ... anything is possible. I am just estimating how probable I think it is that Nebraska will win a national title in the next 5 years. And if I can find anyone stupid enough to make that bet I am happy to oblige. I am always looking for investment opportunities.

I am sure you could find any number of bookies that would take that bet. I on the other hand wouldn’t find a single one.

That is what makes being a college football fan so great.....!!

Hope springs eternal every August...lol

Go Big Red!!

GoBlue!!

Harbaugh and OSU is similar to TO and Oklahoma early on.

My post wasn’t necessarily directed at Michigan fans being underwhelmed. It is the posters here who are underwhelmed with Harbaughs 1st 3 years at Michigan. I think Frost is going to be hard pressed to match or exceed harbaughs 1st 3 years and I wonder what the response here will be.

Michigan was also in a different place than the huskers athletically, as Hoke may not have been a good coach, but he still recruited well.

We are farther down then Michigan was, in my opinion, meaning Frost has farther to climb.

On the other hand, playing in the West has some advantages, as long as the schedule is reasonably fair...

I like the OP’s thought about focus... Frost will do great things here, no question. He is very focused and seems to know what he wants and communicates that to the players. It’s infectious. I think his first year may not be harbaugh-esque, but look for good things in year 2 due to the schedule, and after that, who knows?

Reactions: LRob
Well, one person who agrees with the OP is Kirk Herbstreit...

“You can make an argument, has there ever been a better fit for a head job than Scott Frost and the timing of this? When I first started on College GameDay in 96, Nebraska was Alabama,” Herbstreit said. “It’s been since almost 2000 since they’ve been that program. This guy coaches with a chip on his shoulder. He walks around with a chip on his shoulder. This guy is going to get Nebraska back one way or another. I can’t wait to see them play this year.”

https://247sports.com/college/nebra...E-BC-87-6D-EE180823_162152NebraskaCornhuskers

Reactions: SOHusker11
Well, one person who agrees with the OP is Kirk Herbstreit...

“You can make an argument, has there ever been a better fit for a head job than Scott Frost and the timing of this? When I first started on College GameDay in 96, Nebraska was Alabama,” Herbstreit said. “It’s been since almost 2000 since they’ve been that program. This guy coaches with a chip on his shoulder. He walks around with a chip on his shoulder. This guy is going to get Nebraska back one way or another. I can’t wait to see them play this year.”

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Nebraska-Huskers-coach-Scott-Frost-is-biggest-impact-coaching-hire-of-2018-says-ESPNs-Kirk-Herbstreit-120961177/?utm_source=247Sports Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=180823_162152_Nebraska Cornhuskers&utm_content=Link&liveconnect=18-D4-2D-BF-C7-06-C4-1A-24-F4-AB-BE-BC-87-6D-EE180823_162152NebraskaCornhuskers

No argument ... I think Frost is a homerun hire. Despite this I think the chances are exceedingly small that Nebraska wins the national title within the next 5 years. I would say the same thing if we hired Nick Saban.

My view isn’t a knock on Frost or Nebraska - it’s simply my estimation of probablities.

I don’t think many people who would bet any type of serious money on Nebraska winning a national title in the next 5 years.

Reactions: timnsun
ADVERTISEMENT