ADVERTISEMENT

Hughes out? Ok. Read? Why not

OMG- league/district/ 6a to 5a to 4a to division1 to div2-- hell even coaches around here don't know who is going to be in their district/league before the year, Jesus are u a lawyer?-- and yes I would say my meathead teammates know more about intricacies of football than my wife or sister. Define what makes a football expert, expert?

Playing high school football doesn't simply qualify anyone as an expert. Even playing in a super duper league in TX.

High school is over Uncle Rico. Time to move on.

By the way, i played high school ball and don't know crap. But i did score 4 touchdowns in the state championships and i can throw a football over a mountain. Oh the glory days.

It's a lot like moving the goal posts when it comes to records and recruiting. To be fine with 6-7 and #25 recruiting is laughable.
Right because there's no difference between year 1 and year 7.

What do you actually expect from him? He doesn't like MR in the least and twists any event to support his bias. He was most likely complaining about the staff's inability to recruit a DT this year and that MR wouldn't fire staff that was not getting it done. When it doesn't fit his narrative he just changes the narrative. We should label spinner and a handful of others (you know who they are) the Insane Clown Posse. Wait that name has been taken...
http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/or...f/2015/12/canzano_mike_riley_speaks_abou.html

If you guys on this thread are trying to use Hughes firing as an example Riley would fire any of his coaches if they were not getting the job done you are simply in denial

Riley moved to NU to protect his friends - he is not going to fire any of these guys - Hughes was an outsider and obviously they are fair game but the core of the Oregon state bunch will not ever be touched

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/or...f/2015/12/canzano_mike_riley_speaks_abou.html

If you guys on this thread are trying to use Hughes firing as an example Riley would fire any of his coaches if they were not getting the job done you are simply in denial

Riley moved to NU to protect his friends - he is not going to fire any of these guys - Hughes was an outsider and obviously they are fair game but the core of the Oregon state bunch will not ever be touched
This seems to be pretty clear on his assistants... Also clear in this article was how clearly Canzano believes Mike Riley will turn it around and win big, even with Read as one of his coaches. Canzano said it was a good move for Mike. So do you agree with that too?

You can't pick and choose what you want to emphasize in the article...

For Tulsa's benefit, I think I'm gonna move the goal posts. I just feel bad for the guy always claiming people are moving them but then not having anybody to quote when called on the carpet.

So Tulsa, consider my goal posts moved. Don't know where I'm moving them to, but I am moving them just for you.

This seems to be pretty clear on his assistants... Also clear in this article was how clearly Canzano believes Mike Riley will turn it around and win big, even with Read as one of his coaches. Canzano said it was a good move for Mike. So do you agree with that too?

You can't pick and choose what you want to emphasize in the article...
That is not what the Oregon writer said - He said "Riley is going to win at Nebraska. He nearly did in year one, and I won't be surprised when he turns the ship totally in season No. 2." What we feel is winning and what many in the press and especially an OSU guy think are winning are two different things. He thinks Riley will have a winning record in the next year not win the Big10 or anything - winning records were the benchmark for a successful season at OSU

That is not what the Oregon writer said - He said "Riley is going to win at Nebraska. He nearly did in year one, and I won't be surprised when he turns the ship totally in season No. 2." What we feel is winning and what many in the press and especially an OSU guy think are winning are two different things. He thinks Riley will have a winning record in the next year not win the Big10 or anything - winning records were the benchmark for a successful season at OSU
...talk about moving goalposts

What does turning the ship TOTALLY mean? To me, he thinks Riley will not just go from 6-7 to 7-6... Maybe that's just me.

Reactions: Yossarian23
I think that this writer is a product of Oregon state - to him a winning record is good to us it is expected. So when he says "He nearly won in year one" that means we almost had a winning record not that we were close to winning the conference or anything. Since we were not close to even winning the West his statement clearly means winning record

the other issue is that I linked this article in reference to whether he would fire his buddies not to learn what or try and decipher what an Oregon state writer thinks of his chances at success at NU are - how would he know

I think that this writer is a product of Oregon state - to him a winning record is good to us it is expected. So when he says "He nearly won in year one" that means we almost had a winning record not that we were close to winning the conference or anything. Since we were not close to even winning the West his statement clearly means winning record

the other issue is that I linked this article in reference to whether he would fire his buddies not to learn what or try and decipher what an Oregon state writer thinks of his chances at success at NU are - how would he know
Sorry Sno, but I do disagree on what he meant by totally. Totally does not mean merely a winning record. I know you quoted the article to show how he feels about his assistants, and I appreciate that information. It is telling.

But at the same time, I just can't get behind him saying Riley will totally turn it around with just a winning record. I think he believes Riley will do much better than that. I can't ask him, so I can't say for sure, but this is one we will have to disagree on pertaining to what he meant by totally.

Eye of the beholder I guess and since according to most I am extremely negative then of course I look at it this way. No matter I have read this guys drivel for many years

Reactions: timnsun
Eye of the beholder I guess and since according to most I am extremely negative then of course I look at it this way. No matter I have read this guys drivel for many years
There is something to be said for familiarity, for sure. Living in Minnesota, I don't read much Canzano. :)

Nice back and forth with ya Sno...

Exactly-- well said. Please give facts in responses to reasonable questions instead of the easy and lazy "you don't know (insert cuss word)".

Nothing I said needs facts to back it up. My statement is a fact in and of itself, you and @keithleyb haven't been hired as consultants by the U or MR so how you feel about his decisions is irrelevant. MR doesn't get on a message board and tell you guys how to do your jobs cleaning the toilets and urinals.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
I think the reason for the push back is simply this... How do you know the coaches are held to different standards? Just because some on here believe Read should be fired doesn't mean his remaining on staff is a sign that Riley isn't playing by the rules. You might be right... Maybe Riley does treat coaches differently. Or it is possible that Riley sees something that the rest of us don't see, which is why Read is still coaching.

For those suggesting Read brings nothing to the table, Riley obviously disagrees. Could it be what some are suggesting? Sure. But there could be other legitimate reasons for keeping him that some don't want to consider. And no, I'm not sure what those reasons might be. Just putting this out there.

Tim I totally get where you coming from and thanks for the response. Bruce might be good at special teams, and most people on here tell us we were ranked low on STs this year because we were missing players. My issue is if you need great players to have great STs play then there really is no need for a designated special teams coach who does not recruit. In my opionion it's takes a spot on the coaching staff for another great recruiter/coach that at a place like nebraska to me is more valuable.

Yawn. Keep on trying.

Reactions: Husker Todd
Tim I totally get where you coming from and thanks for the response. Bruce might be good at special teams, and most people on here tell us we were ranked low on STs this year because we were missing players. My issue is if you need great players to have great STs play then there really is no need for a designated special teams coach who does not recruit. In my opionion it's takes a spot on the coaching staff for another great recruiter/coach that at a place like nebraska to me is more valuable.
I see what you are saying, and it makes sense. It will be interesting to see what happens down the road, both with special teams and with the coaching staff. Will we turn things around? Only time will tell. If we don't, there will be a lot of blame to share throughout the staff. And even the most ardent supporters (of which I am one of them) will eventually see the light, should this be the case.

I also wonder why we need a full-time Special Teams Coach if we are going to give scholarships to punters and long snappers.

Riley moved to NU to protect his friends - he is not going to fire any of these guys - Hughes was an outsider and obviously they are fair game but the core of the Oregon state bunch will not ever be touched[/QUOTE
Nothing I said needs facts to back it up. My statement is a fact in and of itself, you and @keithleyb haven't been hired as consultants by the U or MR so how you feel about his decisions is irrelevant. MR doesn't get on a message board and tell you guys how to do your jobs cleaning the toilets and urinals.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

And....... Thanks for proving my point. If cuss words can't do it....... lame and lazy personal attacks (yawn)! You do realize this is a football message boards that is specifically designed for people to give their OPINION on Nebraska team sports.

I also wonder why we need a full-time Special Teams Coach if we are going to give scholarships to punters and long snappers.
What does that have to do with a special teams coach? This sounds a lot more like an ax to grind against Riley than anything else...

You've been abundantly clear you don't like the coaching staff nor the direction things are going.

You don't need "great" players. You need the right type, and by-in-large we were playing games with 8-man high school depth in those types of players.

You don't need "great" players. You need the right type, and by-in-large we were playing games with 8-man high school depth in those types of players.
That being said.... one talent like Pierson-El who can make the first 5 guys miss, so the unit only has to block 5 or 6 makes a humungous dufference.

And....... Thanks for proving my point. If cuss words can't do it....... lame and lazy personal attacks (yawn)! You do realize this is a football message boards that is specifically designed for people to give their OPINION on Nebraska team sports.

You really need to get a life, you take this stuff way to seriously. There are things way more important in life than this.

RollingLaugh

Reactions: ctscts
That being said.... one talent like Pierson-El who can make the first 5 guys miss, so the unit only has to block 5 or 6 makes a humungous dufference.

I agree with what your saying. It's all about recruting athletes and guys that will sell out on special teams play. Thus I believe on special teams and for that matter any position on the football field it's about the Jimmy and the joes not so much the x's and the o's. So in saying that why have a coach that doesn't recruit or coach another position? That makes you have questions that MR does have a buddy system and they are not held to the same coaching standards as the other coaches. Sorry if this sounds like a broken record in this thread, but no one seems to Be able to answer this except calling me or anyone else that questions this an idiot for even asking the question.

You really need to get a life, you take this stuff way to seriously. There are things way more important in life than this.

RollingLaugh

This coming from the guy who just told us to go back to our jobs of cleaning "toilets and urinals". I love how emotional hotheads always make the image in my head of Walter from The Big Lebowski come to mind saying "I'm perfectly calm, calmer than you are dude" while their heads are rocking back and forth!

Wow guys you have all said your peace ad nauseam. Can you try to do it without the personal insults and name calling or should we call it a day?

I agree with what your saying. It's all about recruting athletes and guys that will sell out on special teams play. Thus I believe on special teams and for that matter any position on the football field it's about the Jimmy and the joes not so much the x's and the o's. So in saying that why have a coach that doesn't recruit or coach another position? That makes you have questions that MR does have a buddy system and they are not held to the same coaching standards as the other coaches. Sorry if this sounds like a broken record in this thread, but no one seems to Be able to answer this except calling me or anyone else that questions this an idiot for even asking the question.
I think athletes is the more important part to be sure but I disagree coaching does make a huge difference in ST. I think it was the Wi game if someone has it recorded - but the opposing team had some confusion in blocking on punts - twice I remember we had a guy who was not going all out almost block the punt - If the ST coach had seen that and then called for a punt block we could have had a game changing play.

Look at the Seahawks on kickoff coverage - even though NFL teams kick it into the end zone almost every time you will see the hawks sprinting the ball until they get there - with us I noticed our players stopping. Might not be a big deal but its a mentality thing imo. Do the ST teams players think they have a chance to make a big play or are they just going through the motions

Last edited:
Is it just me or is anyone else getting tired of these guys hijacking the message board? They attack the coaches, the hiring of MR and the coaching hires of MR. Then when we call them out we are the a-holes.

Coaches are paid from money made on TV contacts, ticket sales and sales of merchandise. So feel free not to put any money into these things or watching on TV. Nobody dragged you to the games, made you watch or buy the merchandise.

This coming from the guy who just told us to go back to our jobs of cleaning "toilets and urinals". I love how emotional hotheads always make the image in my head of Walter from The Big Lebowski come to mind saying "I'm perfectly calm, calmer than you are dude" while their heads are rocking back and forth!

By the way an emotional hothead is the type of person who judges a coaching staff after one season and acts like they know how their whole career is going to play out off of that one season.:rolleyes:

Reactions: OzzyLvr
What does that have to do with a special teams coach? This sounds a lot more like an ax to grind against Riley than anything else...

You've been abundantly clear you don't like the coaching staff nor the direction things are going.

In the past, special teamers were walk-ons that had to be coached up. If we are going to go out and offer scholarships to special teamers (which I have no problem with, if they are studs like Lightbourn and Brown), they are probably already elite at what they do and don't need a ton of coaching. It's not like other positions where you have to teach them how to read defenses/offenses and run hundreds of different plays and formations. They have one simple job that they are already very good at. So it seems a bit unnecessary to have a full-time special teams coach, especially one like Read who doesn't seem to have produced outstanding results in his career.

I like our staff for the most part, especially compared to the last staff. I have never called for Riley to be fired and said he should get at least 3 years no matter what. But I'm not going to pretend like everything is rosy until then. That type of thinking led to many bad decisions by Pelini over 7 long years, as people made excuse after excuse, year after year. Would Riley have fired Hughes if we didn't have high expectations here? Many of us were underwhelmed with the Hughes hire and it turned out to be justified. I have the same feelings about Banker and Read. Banker's 2014 defense at OSU had 9 senior starters and was still one of the worst in the nation. If your entire defense is guys that have been in your system for 4-5 years and you still suck, it's hard to have much faith in that system.

Reactions: SnohomishRed
I did not realize this was this staff's first season coaching? now if you are saying NU is different and that difference makes them have different skill sets - then I think you are wrong

He thrusts his fist against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts.

Reactions: Husker Todd
I did not realize this was this staff's first season coaching? now if you are saying NU is different and that difference makes them have different skill sets - then I think you are wrong

One of those posters who deliberately misconstrues someones words and thinks they're cute. Obviously I was implying that it was their first year coaching here. Previous results of their career are irrelevant, Nick Saban was 34-24-1 in his 5 years at MSU and only 25-22-1 after 4. OMG what was LSU thinking when they hired that guy because it was clear that he wouldn't be a success based on past performance. Les Miles was 28-21 at Okie St. in 4 years, WTH was LSU thinking when they hired him to replace Nick Saban, just hiring one crappy coach to replace another.

Now you think your cute, you're not babies and puppies are cute, you are just annoying. This is evident by how few likes you have in relation to how many post you have. You sir are boorish and most people who know you or have to deal with you on a regular basis, probably grow tired of your sophomoric behavior.

One of those posters who deliberately misconstrues someones words and thinks they're cute. Obviously I was implying that it was their first year coaching here. Previous results of their career are irrelevant, Nick Saban was 34-24-1 in his 5 years at MSU and only 25-22-1 after 4. OMG what was LSU thinking when they hired that guy because it was clear that he wouldn't be a success based on past performance. Les Miles was 28-21 at Okie St. in 4 years, WTH was LSU thinking when they hired him to replace Nick Saban, just hiring one crappy coach to replace another.

Now you think your cute, you're not babies and puppies are cute, you are just annoying. This is evident by how few likes you have in relation to how many post you have. You sir are boorish and most people who know you or have to deal with you on a regular basis, probably grow tired of your sophomoric behavior.
I have wondered why when people are trying to discuss our staff and program for that matter why it seems to devolve to insults from the pro-Riley crowd - The only thing I can come up with is that you and people like you are insecure, you want so much for this staff to work out that when people bring up legitimate issues and they do not fit your wish then you revert to insults.

Look - yes there are differences between schools but when determining who the hot coach is you look at recent trajectory - Did this coach take a school that was losing and make it a winner. Did he in fact at his past school show he could do better than the norm, if the norm was losing seasons and he just ekes put a winning season that is still a good thing and a good indicator.

Riley did this early in his career he took over OSU and made it respectable, that is why big name schools wanted him. The problem here is that in recent years it was tanking on him that is a bad indicator and anyone that says to ignore that is not being honest with themselves

Maybe he is reinvigorated and is up to the task and takes NU to titles - that is my hope and wish but I believe the hire was flawed and the thinking behind the hire was flawed. That does not mean I think he should be fired right now or that I want him to lose - I do not

I have wondered why when people are trying to discuss our staff and program for that matter why it seems to devolve to insults from the pro-Riley crowd - The only thing I can come up with is that you and people like you are insecure, you want so much for this staff to work out that when people bring up legitimate issues and they do not fit your wish then you revert to insults.

Look - yes there are differences between schools but when determining who the hot coach is you look at recent trajectory - Did this coach take a school that was losing and make it a winner. Did he in fact at his past school show he could do better than the norm, if the norm was losing seasons and he just ekes put a winning season that is still a good thing and a good indicator.

Riley did this early in his career he took over OSU and made it respectable, that is why big name schools wanted him. The problem here is that in recent years it was tanking on him that is a bad indicator and anyone that says to ignore that is not being honest with themselves

Maybe he is reinvigorated and is up to the task and takes NU to titles - that is my hope and wish but I believe the hire was flawed and the thinking behind the hire was flawed. That does not mean I think he should be fired right now or that I want him to lose - I do not

Yep, well said and I think spot on- we all want Nebraska to do well, everyone when they heard Riley was hired was scratching their head and I remember on this same board people were praying that Banker and most of Riley's assistants would not come on board with him.
Now in regards to being critical of staff's performance and abilities that is what this board
is for; if all we can post is how great Read is and how Riley is the next Saban good luck and I will be watching what everyone posts in the future are if this goes South(news flash- what if Nebraska goes 6-7 again- entirely possible). Not once did anyone say anything personal about Read just that in OUR OPINION he is not a good recruiter or coach. The pro- Read crowd got personal with insults; which if I'm correct Moderator IS against board policy. If Riley is a great coach then it shouldn't bother u that someone has a different opinion than you. If I am wrong rrthusker please let me know

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT