ADVERTISEMENT

How Will Eligibility Work?

HuskerLove1

Sophomore
Sep 22, 2018
For schools that are playing this fall, do the kids get a blanket 'free year of eligibility' (regardless of exceeding 4 games played) based-on what the NCAA communicated last month?

I’m guessing the rules stay the same, isn’t it where said player has to play more then half the schedule or something like that. After that, I’d have to assume the 4 game freshmen thing still stands, correct?

Per the NCAA on 8/21:

"All fall sport student-athletes will receive both an additional year of eligibility and an additional year in which to complete it," the NCAA said in a release. "Student-athletes who do not enroll full time during the 2020 fall term have flexibility in the progress-toward-degree requirements that must be met for eligibility in future terms."

BUMP!

I'm honestly surprised at the lack of responses to this thread.

Based-on how the NCAA communicated this back on 8/21, it sounds like our players are all going to get an extra year of eligibility no matter if they play 4 games, 5 games, or the entire season.

That's a big deal people! :)

BUMP!

Based-on how the NCAA communicated this back on 8/21, it sounds like our players are all going to get an extra year of eligibility no matter if they play 4 games, 5 games, or the entire season.

Any idea how they will handle the total scholarship limits? Will the NCAA still have the 85 limit or will they let schools exceed the total until the players effected by COVID are gone?

Per CBSSports, it sounds like the NCAA is temporarily allowing an expansion of the 85 scholarship limit. Another very interesting piece is that schools do not have to honor an extra year for seniors if they don't want to (ie. can trim the dead weight if they see fit).

"Granting an extra year of eligibility could bring plenty of complications for schools, however. The NCAA's announcement said seniors student-athletes who take advantage of the additional year of eligibility will not count against team scholarship limits in 2021-22. But even with temporarily-expanded scholarship limits, athletic departments dealing with significant budget shortfalls may not be in position to spend more on athletic scholarships.

The NCAA's announcement Friday did not mandate that schools fund the scholarships of seniors for an additional year; this adopted rule merely allows for the temporary expansion of scholarship limits to accommodate seniors who do opt to return for an additional season.

The eligibility extension is particularly interesting for the six conferences still planning to play football this fall. Under the rule, a player gearing up for his senior season could play this fall -- assuming the season is played as scheduled -- and return to play again in 2021. That could mean some school, conference and even NCAA statistical records could be in danger as a result of players who, in essence, played five seasons."

Per CBSSports, it sounds like the NCAA is temporarily allowing an expansion of the 85 scholarship limit. Another very interesting piece is that schools do not have to honor an extra year for seniors if they don't want to (ie. can trim the dead weight if they see fit).

"Granting an extra year of eligibility could bring plenty of complications for schools, however. The NCAA's announcement said seniors student-athletes who take advantage of the additional year of eligibility will not count against team scholarship limits in 2021-22. But even with temporarily-expanded scholarship limits, athletic departments dealing with significant budget shortfalls may not be in position to spend more on athletic scholarships.

The NCAA's announcement Friday did not mandate that schools fund the scholarships of seniors for an additional year; this adopted rule merely allows for the temporary expansion of scholarship limits to accommodate seniors who do opt to return for an additional season.

The eligibility extension is particularly interesting for the six conferences still planning to play football this fall. Under the rule, a player gearing up for his senior season could play this fall -- assuming the season is played as scheduled -- and return to play again in 2021. That could mean some school, conference and even NCAA statistical records could be in danger as a result of players who, in essence, played five seasons."
I will be surprised if the NCAA expands scholarship limit but nothing surprises me when it comes to college sports anymore. Many smaller schools won't be able to afford additional scholarships and how does title 9 enter in. Limits were put in to level the playing field. The rich will get richer. Let's make sure we take full advantage of any opportunity we get

limit will only be expanded for one year. roster construction in 2022 and beyond will be interesting to manage.

I love the fact every player can play the full season and it doesn’t count against their eligibility. We can play true freshmen and still have them redshirt this season.

Last edited:
Any way around it, this creates issues in the future for scholarship limits. If we are allowing 2 years worth of redshirts for all players, eventually that has to be leveled out within the next 4 years. That means every team will have to reduce scholarships given at some point or another to catch up.

Reactions: headcard
Per the NCAA on 8/21:

"All fall sport student-athletes will receive both an additional year of eligibility and an additional year in which to complete it," the NCAA said in a release. "Student-athletes who do not enroll full time during the 2020 fall term have flexibility in the progress-toward-degree requirements that must be met for eligibility in future terms."

With that being the case, we could have a 5 year starter playing QB in 2022.

With our roster attrition I can’t see scholly limits being an issue 3-4 years down the road. For the freshman that actually stay this year, I’m really interested to see them in their 5th year of playing.

Reactions: scarletred
BUMP!

Being such a young team, this is a huge benefit to the Huskers.

ADVERTISEMENT