ADVERTISEMENT

How to win this year

We play an up tempo and aggressive scheme on both sides of the ball. I love it. And not for emotional reasons. It is the trend in college football today across the board.
I understand why people love it, but speeding the game up to give everyone more opportunities can work against you if you don't have an offense.

This is why they say defense wins championships, and yeah it can be more boring to watch.

Bo never wanted to fire anyone. He's actually a nice guy.
You know, I kind of agree with that. I know the common narrative on here is that Bo was a douche bag. But I don't think he was. His players seemed to love him and I think he had loyalty to his assistants.

My biggest issue with Pelini was he was a mediocre recruiter

Reactions: NikkiSixx
You know, I kind of agree with that. I know the common narrative on here is that Bo was a douche bag. But I don't think he was. His players seemed to love him and I think he had loyalty to his assistants.

No. Bo is an escaped mental patient. But he was also a douche and an a-hole.

Keep Mo Barry in the game. Drill in to the team's head that we can't afford stupid penalties. It is really that simple. Frost needs to fix the special teams. Our punter's inconsistency is killing us. He's got no idea where the ball is going when he hits it. One time he kills it and the next is a 25 yarder. That makes it tough to cover punts.

this alone probably gets us to being close to bowl eligible (despite the 2 losses to start the year).

I figure that if AM is healthy we have a surprise game or two in the schedule as well where the O really shows up

Why does everyone want to change what a coach does? I don't get it. I makes absolutely no sense to me.

I didn't agree that Riley needed to change his offense to fit the players here. That is silly and stunts future growth. Yes, he probably should have recruited a pro-style QB in the first year and went that route but he didn't.

Scott Frost was hired to run Scott Frost's offense and defense. He turned down an opportunity to interview at Florida because they wouldn't let him bring his entire staff with him.

If you all want to run a Wisconsin or Iowa offense you need to change allegiances because Frost isn't going to run that style.

If you want him to run a 4-2-5(peso), conservative defense, you are in for a long season. He brought Chin with him to run the defense he has run for the past 2 years.

The disappointment about his recruiting was that he could have been much better. The kids liked him and he did a nice job when he and the staff focused

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Why does everyone want to change what a coach does? I don't get it. I makes absolutely no sense to me.

I didn't agree that Riley needed to change his offense to fit the players here. That is silly and stunts future growth. Yes, he probably should have recruited a pro-style QB in the first year and went that route but he didn't.

Scott Frost was hired to run Scott Frost's offense and defense. He turned down an opportunity to interview at Florida because they wouldn't let him bring his entire staff with him.

If you all want to run a Wisconsin or Iowa offense you need to change allegiances because Frost isn't going to run that style.

If you want him to run a 4-2-5(peso), conservative defense, you are in for a long season. He brought Chin with him to run the defense he has run for the past 2 years.

This is exactly the point - we didn't hire him to run slow, conservative schemes, we hired him to be cutting edge, and we will be.. when we get more talent.

The other issue with power is that we are never going to run an under center, I formation type set, but we will run for power, but that will take much more athletic and active linemen. When we have the guys to pull the guards all around the field and vary the gaps we attack, our short yardage and "power" game will look a lot better

Reactions: timnsun
The disappointment about his recruiting was that he could have been much better. The kids liked him and he did a nice job when he and the staff focused
Case in point. Afer 2009, when we had the most celebrated defensive lineman in the history of modern college football, Bo could not translate that into recruiting more blue chip, upper echelon defensive tackles. Add in the fact that he also coached Dorsey at LSU right before coming here and it only adds to the mystery of why he failed in this area.

This. It is foolish to think that Frost is going to change his fundamental schemes on either side of the ball. If you don't like his schemes then, logically, what you should really say is that we should not have hired Frost.

This is exactly the point - we didn't hire him to run slow, conservative schemes, we hired him to be cutting edge, and we will be.. when we get more talent.

The other issue with power is that we are never going to run an under center, I formation type set, but we will run for power, but that will take much more athletic and active linemen. When we have the guys to pull the guards all around the field and vary the gaps we attack, our short yardage and "power" game will look a lot better
The interesting thing is that I saw several NFL teams this weekend run power short yardage run plays out of the shotgun with one back. And they were successful doing it. The idea that we have to be under center to run power is just wrong. You can't run a QB sneak from the shotgun but that's it.

Well here is the rub on some of that..

Frost talked at length about bringing back what made this place successful. He didn't get into the specifics of it, and I think a majority of the fans thought smash mouth football.

What he brought was a different scheme, and yes, it's going to be a long season.

Where he first screwed up, is how he handled that QB situation. If he had made a decision on that early in fall camp, we might be in a much better position today.

Instead, he was not forthright, and that really pulled the plug on how he was trying to jumpstart this season. We are starting to see a pattern of it, and while I am sure his reasons were just, it rubs some people the wrong way.

So instead of having some depth, we have none, and without the engine, it doesn't run right. Here we are.

Frost talked at length about bringing back what made this place successful. He didn't get into the specifics of it, and I think a majority of the fans thought smash mouth football.

What he brought was a different scheme, and yes, it's going to be a long season.

Where he first screwed up, is how he handled that QB situation. If he had made a decision on that early in fall camp, we might be in a much better position today.

Instead, he was not forthright, and that really pulled the plug on how he was trying to jumpstart this season. We are starting to see a pattern of it, and while I am sure his reasons were just, it rubs some people the wrong way.

So instead of having some depth, we have none, and without the engine, it doesn't run right. Here we are.
Actually, I think the majority of people understood that his offense would be different from Osborne's and closer to Chip's. I took his words to mean that he wanted to rebuild the walk on program and making sure we got a bunch of Nebraska kids on the roster and that we were going to reemphasize accountability and hard work in every facet of the program. But I could be wrong.
Also, your belief that he mishandled the QB situation rests on the assumption that he knew all along that Martinez would be the starter. Maybe you are correct in that. But there is no way to know that so it seems to be conjecture on your part. Maybe he really did not know who his starter would be.

Holy crap you need to quit acting as if you were in the room where it happened! Frost strung along Gebbia for weeks and weeks when he was never gonna be the starter? Seriously, dude! How do you know this??? For real? I wanna know, how can you prove this??? You can’t!

And when Frost said he was bringing back what was successful, I didn’t think for a moment he was gonna drop his spread option uptempo principles for the offense Tom ran. If you believed that, why would you think that? Why would he be OC at Oregon for 3 or 4 years running that offense, run the same offense at UCF, and then come to Nebraska and scrap it for something else?

He was talking about working harder an the rest, culture, embracing the fans (except you I guess... all he’s done is piss you off so you no longer trust him). Not offense. Nebraska kids... look at how many Nebraska kids have received scholarships this comin season. Walk ons are on the rise... but not a change in offense.

And you tell me not to be retarded.

Holy crap you need to quit acting as if you were in the room where it happened! Frost strung along Gebbia for weeks and weeks when he was never gonna be the starter? Seriously, dude! How do you know this??? For real? I wanna know, how can you prove this??? You can’t!

And when Frost said he was bringing back what was successful, I didn’t think for a moment he was gonna drop his spread option uptempo principles for the offense Tom ran. If you believed that, why would you think that? Why would he be OC at Oregon for 3 or 4 years running that offense, run the same offense at UCF, and then come to Nebraska and scrap it for something else?

He was talking about working harder an the rest, culture, embracing the fans (except you I guess... all he’s done is piss you off so you no longer trust him). Not offense. Nebraska kids... look at how many Nebraska kids have received scholarships this comin season. Walk ons are on the rise... but not a change in offense.

And you tell me not to be retarded.
If anything it was Gebbia who played the coaches, not the other way around. I think Gebbia had an exit strategy all along should he not be named the starter. But I think he told the coaches and the press and his fellow players everything they wanted to hear in order to make himself seem like a "team player" and a leader. "This is my home" and all of that nonsense. He knew he had to say those things to have a chance.

Edit: we really need to stop talking as if this situation is unique to Nebraska and the situation in the QB room Frost created. What Frost promoted was open competition. Gebbia lost so he left. It happens all over college football

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT