ADVERTISEMENT

How to win this year

NikkiSixx

Offensive Coordinator
Sep 14, 2013
You figure your offense is worth 21-35 points a game is all. Do your best to improve the offense, but that's kind of your ceiling in 2018.

Clean up the mistakes, penalties, & turnovers.

Now, Defensively, you have to hold your opponents to under 21.

How would you do that?

You figure your offense is worth 21-35 points a game is all. Do your best to improve the offense, but that's kind of your ceiling in 2018.

How would you do that?
Blitz every play. Punish the quarterback

Reactions: yunginsNU2

How would you do that?
Keep Mo Barry in the game. Drill in to the team's head that we can't afford stupid penalties. It is really that simple. Frost needs to fix the special teams. Our punter's inconsistency is killing us. He's got no idea where the ball is going when he hits it. One time he kills it and the next is a 25 yarder. That makes it tough to cover punts.

Blitz every play. Punish the quarterback
I think everyone would like to do that, but you only get 3 busted plays the entire game then.

I think you have to play more conservatively, keeping it all in front of you, because of your offensive limits, you can't get into a shootout.

We do a pretty good job on 1st and 2nd down but we give up too many chunk plays or have penalties on 3rd and long. Have to find a way of being more disciplined while maintaining the aggression.

We could also try to limit the number of times the opponent gets the ball by controlling the clock on offense, or via shortening the game.

(notice this doesn't match the hurry up scheme)

We could also try to limit the number of times the opponent gets the ball by controlling the clock on offense, or via shortening the game.

Sure feels like, even when we start winning, this coach’s style will always rub you the wrong way.

Defense is too aggressive (potential for busted plays increase), offense doesn’t burn clock (Riley syndrome)...

I hope you can come around and enjoy the product this staff ultimately puts on the field.

Actually, I hope we all can.

How would you do that?

Well, we put up 19 on Saturday so I'd say we have to hold them to under 19, not 21. It sounds like splitting hairs, but lowering a defensive average by 2 points on the low end of the total ppg range isn't easy. 19 ppg is on par with what Ohio State and Michigan defenses gave up last year.

Reactions: NikkiSixx

How would you do that?
I’m sorry, I’m not there think the O will be ‘worth’ that many point against MSU, OSU, Mich, Iowa, and maybe Wisconsin (they are rebuilding a buton the Def side and it’s showing).

To have a chance against the better team we have to be dang near flawless with TOs and in the Kicking game.... and get some breaks

I don't think we've done much hurry up yet. The pace has seemed pretty normal.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Or, and I'm just throwing this out there....kidnap the other teams QB, and OC, and DC, and HC. You know, the night before the game.

Reactions: 9and4
Or, and I'm just throwing this out there....kidnap the other teams QB, and OC, and DC, and HC. You know, the night before the game.

You kids and your hijinx!

Screen-Shot-2017-07-18-at-10.55.12-PM-1024x570.png

I think everyone would like to do that, but you only get 3 busted plays the entire game then.

I think you have to play more conservatively, keeping it all in front of you, because of your offensive limits, you can't get into a shootout.
We could also try to limit the number of times the opponent gets the ball by controlling the clock on offense, or via shortening the game
Just curious as to why sometime when referring to Nebraska you use, you and others we?

Obviously when you install a completely new playbook from the calls to execution the defense will always be ahead of the offense.. i like the attacking style chins brings.. the confusion and aggressiveness he brings is a breath of fresh air compared to diacos garbage. The offense will start to click hopefully this weekend and will start putting up more points.. 2 things need to happen
1 stop the turnovers period
2 block

Just curious as to why sometime when referring to Nebraska you use, you and others we?
It's really because while we are all husker fans, I see things completely different, and don't want to be associated with the crowds way of thinking.

I'm probably not doing a good job winning people over to my way of thinking, but we don't have to lose this year.. we really don't have to, but as long as they keep running that defensive scheme, it's likely going to be that way.

Trying to improve the offense will give us better odds, but it's only part of the equation, and the masses here are hell bent on their aggressive defense that they can't even see how it hurts their chances to win.

Reactions: husker2612
It's really because while we are all husker fans, I see things completely different, and don't want to be associated with the crowds way of thinking.

I'm probably not doing a good job winning people over to my way of thinking, but we don't have to lose this year.. we really don't have to, but as long as they keep running that defensive scheme, it's likely going to be that way.

Trying to improve the offense will give us better odds, but it's only part of the equation, and the masses here are hell bent on their aggressive defense that they can't even see how it hurts their chances to win.
I believe we tried last year the defensive approach of "keep everything in front of you". How did that work out? Gave up tons of big plays as opposing players went from being "in front of us" to "going past us" to "going into the end zone" with great regularity. The more aggressive approach is more risk/reward, but the goal is to create negative plays. Most college offenses cannot get a first down with consistency if it is 3rd and 13 a lot due to negative plays. And when you lack a really strong defensive line you need those negative plays to kill drives. Last year's defense was death by 100 paper cuts followed by a dagger to the nuts.

Reactions: timnsun
I believe we tried last year the defensive approach of "keep everything in front of you". How did that work out? Gave up tons of big plays as opposing players went from being "in front of us" to "going past us" to "going into the end zone" with great regularity. The more aggressive approach is more risk/reward, but the goal is to create negative plays. Most college offenses cannot get a first down with consistency if it is 3rd and 13 a lot due to negative plays. And when you lack a really strong defensive line you need those negative plays to kill drives. Last year's defense was death by 100 paper cuts followed by a dagger to the nuts.
I think trying to use last year as an example is not a good idea. Diaco is not a good coach, and they were trying to run the 3-4 type thing.

Go back to Pelini, when he actually coached the defense. By keeping things in front of you, you improve your chances because you are forcing the other team to make first down after first down, over and over. The odds of making that happen, and marching the entire field, are less, than a team hitting the big play when a defender falls down and there is no help.

I entirely get that it's fun to watch an aggressive defense, but we should have held CU to less than 14 points, and shut out Troy.

Running a defense that automatically by it's nature gives up over 24 points (or something in that range), means you MUST have an offense that puts up more consistently.

We don't have that right now. So we lose.

I think trying to use last year as an example is not a good idea. Diaco is not a good coach, and they were trying to run the 3-4 type thing.

Go back to Pelini, when he actually coached the defense. By keeping things in front of you, you improve your chances because you are forcing the other team to make first down after first down, over and over. The odds of making that happen, and marching the entire field, are less, than a team hitting the big play when a defender falls down and there is no help.

I entirely get that it's fun to watch an aggressive defense, but we should have held CU to less than 14 points, and shut out Troy.

Running a defense that automatically by it's nature gives up over 24 points (or something in that range), means you MUST have an offense that puts up more consistently.

Go back to the Pelini style of defense? Oh wait... I hear something. The phone is ringing. It is Melvin Gordon calling
Pelini's defense worked when he had good players. It didn't when he didn't. Same here. Just about any scheme will work if you have good players who are well coached.

If your going to play a conservative defense you have to have a backend of o defense that can consistently blanket receivers and shut them down. We don't have that right now.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker

Furthermore, your analysis implies that our defense will not improve as the year goes on and the players get comfortable with the new scheme.

Go back to the Pelini style of defense? Oh wait... I hear something. The phone is ringing. It is Melvin Gordon calling
Pelini's defense worked when he had good players. It didn't when he didn't. Same here. Just about any scheme will work if you have good players who are well coached.
I specifically said when Bo was doing the coaching, not JP.

Remember Banker?

He ran an aggressive defense too in the beginning, and that quickly got changed the next year, and we won 9 games.

If your going to play a conservative defense you have to have a backend of o defense that can consistently blanket receivers and shut them down. We don't have that right now.
How do you know that? Those guys aren't playing a zone back there with help over the top.

Furthermore, your analysis implies that our defense will not improve as the year goes on and the players get comfortable with the new scheme.
I do think it will improve, but so will the other teams.

Look, I get that the offense needs attention, but I'm also trying to tell people that you can tweak some things on the other side of the coin too.

But everyone thinks the defense is doing great and they have those warm and fuzzy stats (except wins, and points allowed) to hold on to.

Like what happened when UCF played Michigan, they were down by 35 in the second quarter with this style of defense.. I guess we will find out what happens Saturday.

I specifically said when Bo was doing the coaching, not JP.

Remember Banker?

He ran an aggressive defense too in the beginning, and that quickly got changed the next year, and we won 9 games.

How do you know that? Those guys aren't playing a zone back there with help over the top.
You don't think Bo also coached the defense when JP was there? Come on. And we clearly had better players in Bo's first two years. It was the same scheme all 7 years. And Bo was the architect. And if JP sucked as a coach why did Bo keep him? You imply that Bo knew how to coach the defense and JP didn't. Do you think Bo was too dumb to see that his DC was an idiot? Wisconsin also runs an aggressive 3-4 scheme and they do not have an explosive offense. Works for them.

I do think it will improve, but so will the other teams.

Look, I get that the offense needs attention, but I'm also trying to tell people that you can tweak some things on the other side of the coin too.

But everyone thinks the defense is doing great and they have those warm and fuzzy stats (except wins, and points allowed) to hold on to.

Like what happened when UCF played Michigan, they were down by 35 in the second quarter with this style of defense.. I guess we will find out what happens Saturday.
Kind of like when we were down by 900 to Wisconsin at the half running Bo's defense in the title game.

Or when we did not make OSU punt last year? You can't cherry pick the stats. You can't take every stat from the first two games of this year and extrapolate from that that we need a change on defense and at the same time dismiss any counterfactual stat from the past that calls your analysis into question. Bo's teams got routinely blown out in big games and played shitty defense.

Oh wait! That wasn't Bo's defense I the title game! It was JP's!!
lol

You don't think Bo also coached the defense when JP was there? Come on. And we clearly had better players in Bo's first two years. It was the same scheme all 7 years. And Bo was the architect. And if JP sucked as a coach why did Bo keep him? You imply that Bo knew how to coach the defense and JP didn't. Do you think Bo was too dumb to see that his DC was an idiot? Wisconsin also runs an aggressive 3-4 scheme and they do not have an explosive offense. Works for them.
No, I don't think it was Bo doing the coaching. It was JP, and yes it was the same scheme, but I don't think JP was good at teaching it.
Bo was actually being counseled to delegate to become a better head coach.

Wisconsin does not run the same kind of defense we do. Not at all. It is more than just alignments, it is philosophy, and theirs is not even close to what we are doing.

Kind of like when we were down by 900 to Wisconsin at the half running Bo's defense in the title game.
Yeah, that sucked.. I remember.

We play an up tempo and aggressive scheme on both sides of the ball. I love it. And not for emotional reasons. It is the trend in college football today across the board.

Or when we did not make OSU punt last year? You can't cherry pick the stats. You can't take every stat from the first two games of this year and extrapolate from that that we need a change on defense and at the same time dismiss any counterfactual stat from the past that calls your analysis into question. Bo's teams got routinely blown out in big games and played shitty defense.

lol
the team quit last year
it could happen this year too

Reactions: bigboxes

lol
But Nikki wants to throw out last year. Remember, Diaco sucks.

So what about OSU two years ago when Banker was good? Oh yeah, 62-3 and no punts...

Death by 100 paper cuts and a dagger to the nuts, lol! Had me laughing big time at that!

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
No, I don't think it was Bo doing the coaching. It was JP, and yes it was the same scheme, but I don't think JP was good at teaching it.
Bo was actually being counseled to delegate to become a better head coach.

Wisconsin does not run the same kind of defense we do. Not at all. It is more than just alignments, it is philosophy, and theirs is not even close to what we are doing.

Yeah, that sucked.. I remember.
ok. Enough arguing. We made our points. But a serious question: why didn't Bo fire JP if he was a lousy teacher?

ADVERTISEMENT