ADVERTISEMENT

How the hell did Minny get the ball and the wind to start the game?

mrruffin10

Redshirt Freshman
Dec 18, 2018
This is where the coaching errors started...we are not mentally strong enough team to start out at such a disadvantage. In the 2nd qtr..we allowed them to run the ball all the way down the field against the wind, all while we kept two safeties high.smh

When we are down big..why dont we ever see any of the backups? The oline stays in the whole game and sucks the whole game..when will raridon get an opportunity? Young dbs? Young oline? Minny threw thier young olinemen out there from the jump. I guess I could handle these whoopings alot better if I knew young guys who could be good are getting reps.

Reactions: redwine65
Believe minny had the wind and the ball to start the 2h. Frost wanted the wind in the 4th qtr, which makes sense if you're behind and throwing ton. Unfortunately, the game was out of hand by then.

Reactions: roadwarrier6171
Dumb offensive identity says 'we want the ball as many times as possible'.. so we can hurry and go 3 and out and make the defense play the majority of the game taking chances they shouldn't take and getting burned because frost wants the defense to give the offense more chances to go 3 and out, thinking that ball control and time of possession are dumb things to do in the Big Ten.

When has Oregon ball won any kind of championship?....

Dumb offensive identity says 'we want the ball as many times as possible'.. so we can hurry and go 3 and out and make the defense play the majority of the game taking chances they shouldn't take and getting burned because frost wants the defense to give the offense more chances to go 3 and out, thinking that ball control and time of possession are dumb things to do in the Big Ten.

Wasn't NU's best drive their first drive of the game? Am I wrong or wasn't it like 11 plays?

Wasn't NU's best drive their first drive of the game? Am I wrong or wasn't it like 11 plays?
it was, but when the offense isn't performing in this system, you can't continue to run that defensive scheme.. and they just keep running it, like complete morons.. that does not give you your best chance of winning games.

if your defense is actually a strength (which it is), then try running a more conservative defense that focuses on limiting the opponents points.

The current defensive scheme's top priority, is to get the ball back as fast as possible for the offense.

So, when your offense is broken, well it doesn't take too many brain cells to realize you have to make the defenses top priority to limit points by the opposition.

it was, but when the offense isn't performing in this system, you can't continue to run that defensive scheme.. and they just keep running it, like complete morons.. that does not give you your best chance of winning games.

if your defense is actually a strength (which it is), then try running a more conservative defense that focuses on limiting the opponents points.

The current defensive scheme's top priority, is to get the ball back as fast as possible for the offense.

So, when your offense is broken, well it doesn't take too many brain cells to realize you have to make the defenses top priority to limit points by the opposition.

Oh yeah, I get what you are saying...

I guess I have not really seen NU using crazy fast tempo this year, I think they are slowing it down a bit.

Frost was at Oregon 7 seasons:

4- Pac 12 Championships
6- Division Championships
7- Top 20 Finishes
5- Top 10 Finishes
4- Top 5 Finishes
2- #2 Finishes
1- MNC Game Appearance

They won, a lot.

Frost was at Oregon 7 seasons:

4- Pac 12 Championships
6- Division Championships
7- Top 20 Finishes
5- Top 10 Finishes
4- Top 5 Finishes
2- #2 Finishes
1- MNC Game Appearance

They won, a lot.
no national championships..

I guess if a conference title is your thing, or a divisional title is your thing, then maybe this system is okay.. but I don't think so. I think it's some fancy schmancy thing that nobody has ever won a national championship with. i.e. it's not proven at all.

I do know of another system that is proven.

I guess if a conference title is your thing, or a divisional title is your thing, then maybe this system is okay.. but I don't think so. I think it's some fancy schmancy thing that nobody has ever won a national championship with. i.e. it's not proven at all.

Come on, that is some big time success. 4 Top-5 finishes in 7 years is amazing.

I guess what do you mean by Oregon ball? Are you talking spread? Auburn, Ohio St., Clemson and others run some version of spread. They tend to just have a little better D than Oregon had during their hay day. Also, Oregon was damn close to winning the title vs. Auburn. Had some bad breaks.

Reactions: headcard
The most dominant team this decade has been Alabama, and they don't run this sort of Oregon ball either.

My point is, we had a formula for success, it worked, was proven. Why are we pursuing something that really isn't proven, especially given our location as compared to others?

Seems silly to me why we are trying to run this system.. and I don't even mind the offense that much, but the defense scheme in particular, well it's a big reason why we keep losing games.

The most dominant team this decade has been Alabama, and they don't run this sort of Oregon ball either.

My point is, we had a formula for success, it worked, was proven. Why are we pursuing something that really isn't proven, especially given our location as compared to others?

Seems silly to me why we are trying to run this system.. and I don't even mind the offense that much, but the defense scheme in particular, well it's a big reason why we keep losing games.

I get that, but that is a different argument. Is this the right system for us? Is much different than what has anyone ever won with the Oregon system? The Oregon system clearly has had success and you can win big with it. However, it is possible that it was the right system for Oregon and UCF, but might not be the right system for us. My hope is that Frost is a visionary and will stay cutting edge in his approach and adapt if need be. Remember TO started out running a pro-style offense and a 5-2 defense.

**Also it is odd that we are having this conversation in a ridiculous thread about something that never actually happened.

I get that, but that is a different argument. Is this the right system for us? Is much different than what has anyone ever won with the Oregon system? The Oregon system clearly has had success and you can win big with it. However, it is possible that it was the right system for Oregon and UCF, but might not be the right system for us. My hope is that Frost is a visionary and will stay cutting edge in his approach and adapt if need be. Remember TO started out running a pro-style offense and a 5-2 defense.

**Also it is odd that we are having this conversation in a ridiculous thread about something that never actually happened.
I don't think he's a visionary, and in fact think he is too stubborn and won't adapt until it is too late.

What I have seen from him is
1) player mismanagement (fake QB battle of 2018)
2) poor play calling/personnel management (Maurice up the middle, Mills with 1 carry first half)
3) Standoffish towards fans and media.. Keeps everyone at arms length. This will come back to hurt him, as he won't have many supporters or friends when he really needs them.
4) Arrogance and too much Mr Trash Talk and can't back it up.
5) Positive recruiting early on, but that is fizzling out it seems.

Last edited:
Totally unacceptable. I just tweeted our captains about this to let them know.

I'll let you know what they say.

Well, I got a couple of responses. Don't understand everything in them. What does "GFY" stand for?

I don't think he's a visionary, and in fact think he is too stubborn and won't adapt until it is too late.

2) poor play calling/personnel management (Maurice up the middle, Mills with 1 carry first half)
3) Standoffish towards fans and media.. Keeps everyone at arms length. This will come back to hurt him, as he won't have many supporters or friends when he really needs them.

I disagree with all of those points (except #2, which has been hit and miss). But we will find out soon enough, if he is a visionary and has what it takes to rebuild Nebraska, I suppose.

nikki is king of the goal post move.

Reactions: headcard

this is hilarious because alabama switched from pro style to spread, in part because they got taken apart by spread teams (auburn, ohio st, and clemson).

this is hilarious because alabama switched from pro style to spread, in part because they got taken apart by spread teams (auburn, ohio st, and clemson).
you mean like in 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, & 2017? They ran the spread during which of those years???

you people latch on to one little thing to try to prove your point, but can't actually look at the bigger picture. always in 'gotcha' mode, but never really have an original thought that is your own.

You can back Scott and his little fancy offense all you like. I'd bet you anything that you're willing to lose, that it will never work here, and there are plenty of ways to look at it to see that. But search out your little nugget of truths, never mind the context, and hopefully you can sleep well tonight because you made such a great contribution to the board. Ughh.

We met with the officials after the first quarter and tried to give them the wind in the 2nd-3rd and 4th quarters as well hoping we could coax them into throwing the ball rather than continually running it down our throats.

Last edited:
you mean like in 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, & 2017? They ran the spread during which of those years???

you people latch on to one little thing to try to prove your point, but can't actually look at the bigger picture. always in 'gotcha' mode, but never really have an original thought that is your own.

You can back Scott and his little fancy offense all you like. I'd bet you anything that you're willing to lose, that it will never work here, and there are plenty of ways to look at it to see that. But search out your little nugget of truths, never mind the context, and hopefully you can sleep well tonight because you made such a great contribution to the board. Ughh.

the spread has won, nikki. keep your head in the sand all you want.

Reactions: WHCSC and headcard
This is where the coaching errors started...we are not mentally strong enough team to start out at such a disadvantage. In the 2nd qtr..we allowed them to run the ball all the way down the field against the wind, all while we kept two safeties high.smh

When we are down big..why dont we ever see any of the backups? The oline stays in the whole game and sucks the whole game..when will raridon get an opportunity? Young dbs? Young oline? Minny threw thier young olinemen out there from the jump. I guess I could handle these whoopings alot better if I knew young guys who could be good are getting reps.
I think we took the ball to start the game. This Minni took the wind.
That is correct

This is actually why we lost

They definitely benched at least one OL in the third qtr because Bando was out there.

My bad...got in from a sons soccer game and they already had the ball. If we chose the ball that is yet another mistake we made! I did read that bando came in once we were already getting drilled..it take six weeks to make one sub on that offensive line? Raridon, bando, piper, behardt..im ready to see any and all of them..the starters cleary arent good football players.
As for wind..we let them drive the length of the field the whole 2nd qtr without passing INTO the wind! Then finally played without two safties to start the 3rd qtr and got bombed when they had the wind! This is unacceptable.

The fact some of us are saying "but they subbed bando" is just a sign at how bad this is..we should of seen every lineman on the team with how bad its been. Any diff combonations? Jurgens at guard..farniok at gaurd? Young Faniok at center? Have we targeted a young wr? Tried to use the speed of ANY freshman? Mccaffrey wasnt even in the game plan???? Nebraska is not in a position to have high school all americans who come in and redshirt without touching the field!

Come on Nikki. A lot of this crap is you just being mad at the program. Do you actually attend practice to know some sort of inside info? I doubt it.

1. Unless you watch practice, you have no idea what is happening.
2. I guess you should be coaching.. He has probably watched tons of film and saw something and is looking for speed hitting the LOS. Killins at UCF used to go up the middle all of the time. We just aren't executing. Not like MW outside is doing much better.
3. Standoffish towards the media is just your opinion. I think you can say that about most football coaches
4. What do you want him to say? I mean really?
5. Recruiting is fizzling? Do tell us more since this class is complete already.

We get it. You are angry

Come on Nikki. A lot of this crap is you just being mad at the program. Do you actually attend practice to know some sort of inside info? I doubt it.

1. Unless you watch practice, you have no idea what is happening.
2. I guess you should be coaching.. He has probably watched tons of film and saw something and is looking for speed hitting the LOS. Killins at UCF used to go up the middle all of the time. We just aren't executing. Not like MW outside is doing much better.
3. Standoffish towards the media is just your opinion. I think you can say that about most football coaches
4. What do you want him to say? I mean really?
5. Recruiting is fizzling? Do tell us more since this class is complete already.

We get it. You are angry
I'm just telling it like I see it. And like usual, the herd chooses to believe what the herd believes, which is normally wrong anyway. So, just ignore what I have to say, and enjoy the standard husker analysis and be happy with that and with how things are going to be for another twenty years.

I'm lost as a fan anyways.. it's no fun. It would actually be easier to make fun of the program, if I could bring myself to do that. It's like a national joke, but fans haven't realized they are the butt end of it.

Scott is cool, he's making 5 mil a year.. the donors are gonna cough up money for new facilities, and all you poor bastards get screwed with nothing you can proudly hang your hat on..

it's like an AA meeting, gotta admit you have a problem, and too many husker fans can't or won't do that.

I'm just telling it like I see it. And like usual, the herd chooses to believe what the herd believes, which is normally wrong anyway. So, just ignore what I have to say, and enjoy the standard husker analysis and be happy with that and with how things are going to be for another twenty years.

I'm lost as a fan anyways.. it's no fun. It would actually be easier to make fun of the program, if I could bring myself to do that. It's like a national joke, but fans haven't realized they are the butt end of it.

Scott is cool, he's making 5 mil a year.. the donors are gonna cough up money for new facilities, and all you poor bastards get screwed with nothing you can proudly hang your hat on..

it's like an AA meeting, gotta admit you have a problem, and too many husker fans can't or won't do that.
You make good points at times, but then you just go to a whole other tinfoil hat wearing level. Do you seriously think you're the only fan tired of losing or being the butt of the joke? You're just the only one insane enough to go with "Frost is cool because he's getting paid" and "Martinez isn't trying to win." That's just garbage. It makes every other point you have irrelevant, because no one can take you seriously. Go ahead and make fun of the program, just make sure you don't come back. You're worse than a troll because you actually believe you're a fan. Save your sympathy for yourself.

Reactions: leodisflowers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT