ADVERTISEMENT

How successful do you think Matt Rhule will be?

we will be winning 50% of our games first year...(just from competent coaching alone)
75% the second
90% third

then rhule will go to penn state and we will hire aranda

we will be winning 50% of our games first year...(just from competent coaching alone)
75% the second
90% third

then rhule will go to penn state and we will hire aranda
If rhule gets us back to a top 15 program with multiple 9-10 win seasons. When Nebraska is relevant, are we really a 2nd fiddle Pedo State? But I spose if he doesn’t win a natty for us 9-10 wins won’t be good enough and he will be tar and feathered then the shit cycle shall most likely repeat itself.

Reactions: wholeo
Should we qualify for the playoff - top 12 teams - likely top 3-4 in the conference at least once in the first 5 years?

CF playoff is going to be the bench mark at some point going forward - after a buildup - should expect twice out (or least once) every 5 year block - 3-5 times per decade and be in the conversation most other years

Reactions: SWIowahawks
If rhule gets us back to a top 15 program with multiple 9-10 win seasons. When Nebraska is relevant, are we really a 2nd fiddle Pedo State? But I spose if he doesn’t win a natty for us 9-10 wins won’t be good enough and he will be tar and feathered then the shit cycle shall most likely repeat itself.
I can tell listening to rhule if penn state calls he will go...it more bout his history with penn state

Reactions: dand84 and SkerInCo
I can tell listening to rhule if penn state calls he will go...it more bout his history with penn state
I don't agree. During his introduction he talked about how important it was to "find a good fit for my family" and Lincoln was it. He said he wanted to stay put in Lincoln for a long time. He mentioned on the Bussin Boys podcast his daughter was upset they had to move again to come to NU. During his talk on ESPN after he got the job, his introduction PC, the signing day PC (I think), and the Bussin Boys podcast he mentioned how he has learned an organization cannot function unless everyone pulls in the same direction and he found that at Nebraska. I think the Christian culture in Nebraska in general and the Athletic Department specifically appeals to him.

Of course it could all be smoke and the second Franklin leaves we could be left at the altar, but I don't get that idea from listening to him speak.

Money just might be an important factor :) we’ll find out just how much is ponied up for Raiola, for starters…

Should we qualify for the playoff - top 12 teams - likely top 3-4 in the conference at least once in the first 5 years?

CF playoff is going to be the bench mark at some point going forward - after a buildup - should expect twice out (or least once) every 5 year block - 3-5 times per decade and be in the conversation most other years
We’re nowhere close to playoff teams in terms of just Talent. See what happens next couple years, but we’re gonna need to be consistently in the top 10. Top 30 ain’t gonna cut it, by a longshot, in the Big 10. Maybe the Big 12 or ACC…

Reactions: TheNewNU
We’re nowhere close to playoff teams in terms of just Talent. See what happens next couple years, but we’re gonna need to be consistently in the top 10. Top 30 ain’t gonna cut it, by a longshot, in the Big 10. Maybe the Big 12 or ACC…

Thus why I said after a buildup of ~ 5 years

Rhule will be making north of 12 million per year at the end of his contract

I don't agree. During his introduction he talked about how important it was to "find a good fit for my family" and Lincoln was it. He said he wanted to stay put in Lincoln for a long time. He mentioned on the Bussin Boys podcast his daughter was upset they had to move again to come to NU. During his talk on ESPN after he got the job, his introduction PC, the signing day PC (I think), and the Bussin Boys podcast he mentioned how he has learned an organization cannot function unless everyone pulls in the same direction and he found that at Nebraska. I think the Christian culture in Nebraska in general and the Athletic Department specifically appeals to him.

Of course it could all be smoke and the second Franklin leaves we could be left at the altar, but I don't get that idea from listening to him speak.
well I hope he's successful and stays...I'm just saying when he's saying be a lion, posts picture of dr. tom and paterno,
talks bout his playing days, talks about nu vs. penn state games...and has a track record of 3 years at each stop...

but whatever happens I'm just glad we are in the big without 2 lames like riley and frost. now lets get to w's.
I want to get back to enjoying fall saterdays

Reactions: bshirt73
I have no idea what it would take for Rhule to jump ship and go to PSU but a lot would depend on how much the family likes, loves or could care less about Lincoln. I think when Franklin eventually leaves PSU Rhule would be in the mix for the job but so would some very good coaches nationally.

It really comes down to Matt and family and how they feel about the University and the city. Sometimes your love grows so much with a new place that you forget about places where you once called home.

Matt Rhule and family will never find a place like Nebraska that will treat you with class and endearment just as long as you don't screw the people. jmo

for reference - after a 3 year build - Kirk Ferentz would have had Iowa in a 12 team playoff 4 times in the next 10 years

I agree mostly, but if it’s true that Rhule is a known developer of talent, I don’t believe we need top 10 classes all the time. I wouldn’t want to go lower than 20, but even if we are in the 10-20 range, he can get us there more often than not would be my hope.

One thing that obviously comes into play is no divisions in the near future… if we find ourselves playing USC, OSU, Michigan, Penn State etc, we will need to go 2-2 with no other losses. Doable? Sure. But since we haven’t done it in 20 years, it’s hard to imagine now.

Reactions: bshirt73
The playoffs will be expanding shortly, so with that in mind, a playoff berth within a decade seems like a pretty reasonable goal.

Alright! Most of these posts sound just like the posts’ after SF was hired. NU is going to be in the CFP within 3 years!

Glad to see we are at least winning the off-season again.

Hope all these predictions are right…but they aren’t. MR is a great get for the Huskers but not a miracle worker. Do you people not realize just how bad things are? We may get there, but it’s going to take time and pain.

Reactions: Chuck003
Alright! Most of these posts sound just like the posts’ after SF was hired. NU is going to be in the CFP within 3 years!

Glad to see we are at least winning the off-season again.

Hope all these predictions are right…but they aren’t. MR is a great get for the Huskers but not a miracle worker. Do you people not realize just how bad things are? We may get there, but it’s going to take time and pain.
In Bo Pelini's 2nd year at Nebraska, we were literally one added second on the clock from beating Texass. With the expanded playoffs, that team likely would have got in as a wildcard. It's not as far fetched as you might think, qualifying for the playoffs in year 3.

Apparently according to all of the creaming on this board because he travels and does what a person making 9 million in salary is supposed to do, 12-0. first year.
If this board makes you hurl so much, why are you here?

Apparently, some positivity makes you so uncomfortable you’ve got to periodically sprinkle your negative bull crap from time to time.

If this board makes you hurl so much, why are you here?

Apparently, some positivity makes you so uncomfortable you’ve got to periodically sprinkle your negative bull crap from time to time.
Being positive worked out well for you the last 20 years huh? Everything is great! Just like in real life. When this program shows positive results, so will I. Until then, talk is cheap. My somewhat positive outlook ended 3 or 4 years ago. Now I am just pissed and want a real program to emerge after what has been an utter joke of a program the last 6 or 7 years. Matt has a clean slate. Show me.

He's probably not winning 9 games next year, so I doubt he will achieve Pelini's level of success on the field.. his first 90 days on the job have been decent, but I'm not ready to anoint him as even a successful coach here.

Remember when everyone thought the Fraud was a no miss hire and all the chest thumping that went on before he even played a game..

I just cringe as I watch some fans go through the same routine again.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
I think if he is successful he will want to stay at Nebraska longterm. If he cant get over the hump, fans will get impatient like with Pelini and I could see him going to penn state in that situation (if they wanted him after those results.)

Ultimately, I think we have him as long as we want him.

And I think once you reach 9+ million a year, a couple extra million doesnt really change your situation.
If I was offered 10 million a year in one place and 13 million a year at another, salary would be irrelevant to me at that point. I'd go (or stay) to the most appealing location. With a salary that high, my financial situation would be the same at either place.

Reactions: BleedRed78
He's probably not winning 9 games next year, so I doubt he will achieve Pelini's level of success on the field.. his first 90 days on the job have been decent, but I'm not ready to anoint him as even a successful coach here.

Remember when everyone thought the Fraud was a no miss hire and all the chest thumping that went on before he even played a game..

I just cringe as I watch some fans go through the same routine again.
I agree, the sense about Frost was off the charts. That said, what’s different is that Rhule in his first few months has done more already than Frost ever did in a 2 month time span.

Does this mean he will be successful? Nope. But he’s at least putting in maximum effort to get there. That has people like me hopeful. I won’t apologize for being hopeful.

I hope he is successful enough to be worth the multi-million dollar contract. IF he turns out to be worth the money, fans will be happy. But I don't know in advance what level of success there will be just like I didn't know for the last several coaches since Osborne. My predictions before the first season started (except for Callahan and Riley) were mostly wrong as I never thought that Callahan or Riley would succeed here from the day they were announced.

That's putting "the cart before the horse". First, he has to be wildly successful. Otherwise Penn State wouldn't even give him a whiff. We should be so lucky that Penn State is interested because that means we returned to glory.

Reactions: BigRedTed
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT