ADVERTISEMENT

How soon?

Archie Graham

Offensive Coordinator
Apr 12, 2007
Until we fire Reggie Davis. Starting to sound like we may 'pass' on a RB for this class unless we can land someone elite. The guy might be the worst recruiter in the country.

If the team finds an elite back this cycle, then he shows he can recruit. Doesn't show he can do it over time unless he does it in the next few classes as well. His record over time leaves room for improvement. He needs to make that improvement soon.

We seem to be able to recruit at a high level at every position except running back. Riley has shown he will fire his assistants if they aren't getting the job done. Imo Davis needs to start recruiting better or he better get that resume ready.

Until we fire Reggie Davis. Starting to sound like we may 'pass' on a RB for this class unless we can land someone elite. The guy might be the worst recruiter in the country.

Why on earth would you want to fire Reggie Davis? Let's see what "his" guys can do this season before crucifying him. When the light flips on for Ozigbo we are going to be in a good place.

Why on earth would you want to fire Reggie Davis? Let's see what "his" guys can do this season before crucifying him. When the light flips on for Ozigbo we are going to be in a good place.

He's a very good coach. I don't doubt that one bit.

But unless we change our staretegy (e.g., move Donte into the RB recruiting scene) then we need to make a change. He's one of the worst recruiters in modern Nebraska football.

Reactions: howie 4 huskers
He's a very good coach. I don't doubt that one bit.

But unless we change our staretegy (e.g., move Donte into the RB recruiting scene) then we need to make a change. He's one of the worst recruiters in modern Nebraska football.

Not entirely sure what the situation is with Davis. I truly don't know if he's on the hot seat with Riley although I suspect he is not.

All previous coaches who were fired, Riles showed at least a little frustration and angst with and Coach Davis has not received that.

I believe *some* of the impetus for skipping a back has to do with them liking the room (Wilbon, Ozigbo, Bryant, Mazour, Bradley) in an offense that doesn't feature a back 40 carries a game. Also consider that Miles and the WR will get carries. 15 schollies isn't a lot.

They are ALL N on Pledger, or using the scholly somewhere where we have obvious traction this year, perhaps along the DL/OLB.

Consider also that DL is a great recruiter, and with 15 schollies, they are strongly looking at skipping a QB.

The true recruitniks can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought one of the Williams was already helping with Pledger.

Last edited:
IF the staff does not land a RB in this class, it will be a major priority in 2018. With OZ & Wilbon will be Sr. in 2018, which would put Bradley & Bryant as the only scholarship players returning in 2019 and who really knows what Bradley can do at the next level. IMO this is very risky.

I think the wildcard here is Mazour. If he is as good as MR likes to talk about him, maybe he becomes a real option @ RB in the future.

It's just kind of ridiculous that Davis can not get top RB recruits to come to Nebraska. NU has put 17 RBs in the draft since 1990. Bo (as bad of a recruiter him & his staff were) had success recruiting RB. Our program recruits it self when it comes to RBs. Eventually recruiting a RB will need to be a priority at some point. This staff has yet to show it is in any year its been here. And I trust Riley knows what he is doing. The roster has talent from guys who arent on scholarship. Maybe they see it as "free money"

IF the staff does not land a RB in this class, it will be a major priority in 2018. With OZ & Wilbon will be Sr. in 2018, which would put Bradley & Bryant as the only scholarship players returning in 2019 and who really knows what Bradley can do at the next level. IMO this is very risky.

I think the wildcard here is Mazour. If he is as good as MR likes to talk about him, maybe he becomes a real option @ RB in the future.

It's just kind of ridiculous that Davis can not get top RB recruits to come to Nebraska. NU has put 17 RBs in the draft since 1990. Bo (as bad of a recruiter him & his staff were) had success recruiting RB. Our program recruits it self when it comes to RBs. Eventually recruiting a RB will need to be a priority at some point. This staff has yet to show it is in any year its been here. And I trust Riley knows what he is doing. The roster has talent from guys who arent on scholarship. Maybe they see it as "free money"

They were looking at that kid from Florida. Marlow or something like that. They can probably afford to play it cool this year.

Be interesting to get Riley's perspective on this. He's not afraid of going after a couple of top backs, but he doesn't seem uncomfortable bringing in more unheralded types at this position.

Did I miss something, or have we cooled on Graham Roberts? Is it not safe to assume he will be joining his brother here?

Did I miss something, or have we cooled on Graham Roberts? Is it not safe to assume he will be joining his brother here?

I think graham is a commit if we don't get pledger and they still want to spend the scholarship.

They are in on some pretty good defensive talent so they may not want another back if they don't get the home run ball

Could really use the help at OLB

The light isn't going to flip on for Ozigbo. He is Imani Cross part II. And just like Cross, every year we will hear from the local press how Ozigbo has reshaped his game and now has real football moves to go along with his power running. I ain't buying it.

W need an elite running back again.

Don't see any thing special about him. To me he has been permanently passed by.

Why would a top flight RB come here. We are not committed to running the ball at all and have not shown an aptitude under this staff to do it. Lip service only!

Tre plus two upperclassmen at back, along with a small class equals possibly no RB unless he is an obvious get.

Why would a top flight RB come here. We are not committed to running the ball at all and have not shown an aptitude under this staff to do it. Lip service only!
So last year we ran the ball an average of 40.2 times per game.

Here's my question... what does being committed to the run mean to you? 60 per game? Just curious, because 40 per game sounds like they were more committed to the run than what fits your narrative...

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
So last year we ran the ball an average of 40.2 times per game.

Here's my question... what does being committed to the run mean to you? 60 per game? Just curious, because 40 per game sounds like they were more committed to the run than what fits your narrative...
I looked at this the other day. Illinois 49 rushes, 23 passes. Wyoming 43/35 run/pass, Oregon 47 rush 35 pass. Later in the year when the line, backs and TA were beat up and we had to come from behind often that changed (Iowa 31/37 run/pass). But it seems to me Langs likes to keep it around 50/50. That may change this year since we have better passers who don't run much, but I don't ever see Langs' offense being Washington St.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
We wouldn't be talking about our 'stable of backs' or the 'small number of scholarships' if Davis could actually recruit. Instead, we'd be talking about our awesome RB commit. That hasn't happened his entire tenure at Nebraska - at least not with a player he identified and/or got to commit.

Last edited:
zig is way more athletic than imani was, much more shake.
I'm amazed at the criticism of our RBs. IMO we have maybe the best potential 3-4 deep that we've had in a while. Ozigbo is a beast that can do it all and Bryant appears to be that same kind of guy. IF we get better O line play, our RBs are going to look a bunch better and I'll be surprised if Ozigbo doesn't at least get a look by the NFL. Ameer wasn't a high profile recruit. Rex wasn't wanted as a RB by most because he lacks top end speed. Helu showed a 4.7+ 40 time on his Rivals profile. Tell me those guys weren't studs. Lucky? 5 star.....meh.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bugeater
We wouldn't be talking about our 'stable of backs' or the 'small number of scholarships' if Davis could actually recruit. Instead, we'd be talking about our awesome RB commit. That hasn't happened his entire tenure at Nebraska - at least not with a player he identified and/or got to commit.

To take a spoon of your own medicine Arch, its May. *May*.

February is a long way off. We got a 4* coming in from DC on his own dime (Salahuddin).

I think Davis gets at least through the end of this year.

Don't see any thing special about him. To me he has been permanently passed by.

I guess we disagree then. Guy has a massive lower body and surprising speed/agility. Someone called him Imani Cross 2.0, but even if he was there's nothing wrong with that given how valuable and productive Cross was in short yardage. Hope Ozigbo can heal up and pinball some more Oregon DBs this fall.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT