ADVERTISEMENT

How much snow did you get and where?

TwinsRRUs

Recruiting Coordinator
Oct 1, 2011
SW NE
We got between 12 and 15 inches here west of McCook.

No one can go anywhere. The city worker just got the tractor out to begin cleaning streets.

Dug a neighbor out to help her pull back into her garage. She thought she had to get to work and backed all the way up to the street and got high centered in her little car.

I can't get to my calves to feed them. The hill on the way is drifted 5-10 feet high across the road. Guess they can wait until the county gets out to clear the roads.

Twins, I'm in North Platte we got about the same, half of town was without power for 2 hours I80 and 30 are closed, snow drifts up to my hip against my garage doors...if I wasn't such a stud, I wouldn't have been able to shovel it all out and make it to work on time...:D

"The city worker..."? "...just got the tractor out..."?

Do you really have only one? I'm guessing that I'm just being too literal in reading your post. I was in McCook a couple of years ago and while it's small, I'd be surprised if you had only one tractor/snowplow. But Kearney is the smallest town I've ever lived in, so maybe I'm wrong.

Do you really have only one? I'm guessing that I'm just being too literal in reading your post. I was in McCook a couple of years ago and while it's small, I'd be surprised if you had only one tractor/snowplow. But Kearney is the smallest town I've ever lived in, so maybe I'm wrong.
Probably my hometown of Culbertson.

My little home town/village bought a big 4w drive military surplus truck and put an even bigger blade on it. The “city worker” lives for snow storms. Probably disappointed today, didn’t get much

Working in S Omaha and we have virtually nothing here and I'm not exaggerating. But pictures of my house in Millard showing ~4" Very distinct cut off lines with this storm.

Sorry, I am in Culbertson, a small town 10 miles west of McCook.

We have a whole 2 city workers and one got out the tractor and the other guy got in the snow plow pickup when he was able to make it to town from his home 6 miles out of town.

My wife and I scooped the driveway out to the moddle.of the street for my neighbor who had to.go to work. Before she left, the tractor came through and made a huge pile along the street curb... now she has to scoop through that to get out...

Reactions: boilerbusdriver

If Kearney is the smallest town you have ever lived in you really haven't experienced Nebraska. :Cool: Graduated High School from a town of 308 and currently live in a town of 500 and some. My kids grew up in a suburb of Kansas City until we moved here about 6 or 7 years ago. It was a little culture shock for em :)

We have a whole 2 city workers and one got out the tractor and the other guy got in the snow plow pickup when he was able to make it to town from his home 6 miles out of town.

My wife and I scooped the driveway out to the moddle.of the street for my neighbor who had to.go to work. Before she left, the tractor came through and made a huge pile along the street curb... now she has to scoop through that to get out...

Culbertson is a great little town. I grew up in a small town just east of there and played Culbertson in basketball several times but they were in the next class up. I loved that gym and court there.

Culbertson is a great little town. I grew up in a small town just east of there and played Culbertson in basketball several times but they were in the next class up. I loved that gym and court there.

Now they joined with Trenton and repainted the gym purple... :(:mad:

It is a nice gym still though. It only gets used for elementary PE and high school practices.

Edit: the town itself has really aged! I couldn't believe it when I moved back. Either that or ot always was aged and I just never noticed growing up in it.

If Kearney is the smallest town you have ever lived in you really haven't experienced Nebraska. :Cool: Graduated High School from a town of 308 and currently live in a town of 500 and some. My kids grew up in a suburb of Kansas City until we moved here about 6 or 7 years ago. It was a little culture shock for em :)

Could. Not. Do it. I grew up in a town of 5,000 in NE, and there is NO WAY I could ever move back to a town that size.

Last year I saw some snow on Superstition Mountain in Gold Canyon, Az, but not today! My son said they got 8 inches in SW Littleton/Morrison, Co, yesterday.

Guess the blizzard in Nebraska is causing a lot of havoc out on the highways, which always sucks. Stay safe.

Last edited:
Guess the blizzard in Nebraska is causing a lot of havoc out on the highways, which always sucks. Stay safe.

The wind was 30mph with 40-50mph gusts. Lots of snow drifts. A few roads closed due to drifts or accidents. Hwy 83 north of McCook is/was closed due to a semi being jackknifed on the road.

We didn't get ice here, but it is a little slick where they plowed the streets. I have seen several vehicles stuck in snowbanks.

Last year I saw some snow on Superstition Mountain in Gold Canyon, but not today! My son said they got 8 inches in SW Littleton/Morrison, Co, yesterday.

We got 6-7 inches in the north Denver metro yesterday, but the sun is out today and most of it will melt by mid-week. Up a little higher in the foothills they got 14-15 inches. A bit of a pain but we needed some moisture, as it's been a very dry winter here.

Reactions: Sinomatic
Born and raised in McCook. Miss it most days, today isn't one of them. I hated snow so the 65 degrees and sunny here takes some of the home sickness away.

Here in the Millard/chalco area of omaha only have about 3 inches currently. Lots of wind though.

We got between 12 and 15 inches here west of McCook.

No one can go anywhere. The city worker just got the tractor out to begin cleaning streets.

Dug a neighbor out to help her pull back into her garage. She thought she had to get to work and backed all the way up to the street and got high centered in her little car.

I can't get to my calves to feed them. The hill on the way is drifted 5-10 feet high across the road. Guess they can wait until the county gets out to clear the roads.
Went and got the critters tended to and drove my tractor with a mounted 8 ft snowblower back to be sure I can clean my drive out at home. IF I waited for the local "government" to open roads after blizzards, my critters would starve to death. Man up. Get something where you don't have to wait for big brother to do it for you.Winking Still snowing and blowing here south of the arctic circle but north of Nebraska.

Went and got the critters tended to and drove my tractor with a mounted 8 ft snowblower back to be sure I can clean my drive out at home. IF I waited for the local "government" to open roads after blizzards, my critters would starve to death. Man up. Get something where you don't have to wait for big brother to do it for you.Winking Still snowing and blowing here south of the arctic circle but north of Nebraska.
Word. We always opened up the country roads before the county could. Just what ya do. But now in Lincoln, if I was to drop the blade and clean my street, the city would have my ass. It's kind of ridiculous.

lol :)

I didn't even think about driving around the long way to get to my parents. We ended up following the road grader out around 11am. Was interesting watching him plow through the drifts. They were well over his from plow blade and he almost got stuck in the ditch.

Seeing the drifts there reminded me of the story of my dad spending all night long clearing out the drifts on that same hill so he could take my mom to the hospital take give birth to my little sister.

My calves were eating on a cane bale when I got there, but I got them fed and laid down more straw in the shelter I built that worked great at keeping the snow out!

My brother is in the tractor now. He ended up clearing my parents yard up and drove down the road to a neighbor who has cancer that only has a tiny little car and cleaned up his long driveway. When we had 18" of snow a couple years ago, we had our skid steer in town and I spent a few hours clearing the street around my house and the church across the street.

How would they know, or stop you? Especially with the number of contractors they bring on.
Road crew guy yelled at me about 3 years ago. Formal warning came in the mail a couple weeks later. It's kind of ridiculous.

Reactions: husker02

We built a fireplace/chimney in Culbertson about 40 years ago. Is the A-frame restaurant still there on the north side of the highway?

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
The roads in Lincoln were terrible around 330. I went back out 15m ago and they're not nearly as bad.

I can't tell how much snow we got. Looks like any where from .5 inch to 4 inches.

Good thing they called off school. At least the teachers had another day off.
Lol I know 3 days canceled in a week and a day worth of school. We moved here from Sioux Falls, who won't cancel unless there is a snow apocalypses and even then it would be a late start. So to come here and they cancel with just talk of it snowing, is funny.

Lol I know 3 days canceled in a week and a day worth of school. We moved here from Sioux Falls, who won't cancel unless there is a snow apocalypses and even then it would be a late start. So to come here and they cancel with just talk of it snowing, is funny.
Bad for parents - fantastic for the kids. I do wonder what sort of precedent is being set.

Reactions: Sinomatic
Bad for parents - fantastic for the kids. I do wonder what sort of precedent is being set.
My wife talked to our principle and she said the Superintendent( or whoever it is that makes the call) doesn't like the high school kids driving on the roads when the weather could be bad. That is seriously what she told my wife. lol While I understand his point. We live in the Midwest. We are going to get snow, kids will have to drive in it at some point.

My wife talked to our principle and she said the Superintendent( or whoever it is that makes the call) doesn't like the high school kids driving on the roads when the weather could be bad. That is seriously what she told my wife. lol While I understand his point. We live in the Midwest. We are going to get snow, kids will have to drive in it at some point.
Only people that should be out driving "immediately" in inclimate weather: health professionals, police officers and firefighters(even give them a grant to purchase 4x4 vehicles). Give the plows a chance to clean the streets and keep people home. Some day the cost of a human life should outweigh the dollar...but the dollar is so tight we got our priorities out of whack. (Refer back to my old thread of 4-week vacation and this shouldnt hinder anyone's income, all a perfect world scenario of course).

Reactions: WHCSC and Sinomatic
Only people that should be out driving "immediately" in inclimate weather: health professionals, police officers and firefighters(even give them a grant to purchase 4x4 vehicles). Give the plows a chance to clean the streets and keep people home. Some day the cost of a human life should outweigh the dollar...but the dollar is so tight we got our priorities out of whack. (Refer back to my old thread of 4-week vacation and this shouldnt hinder anyone's income, all a perfect world scenario of course).
How does your business fare with said policies of four week paid vacation and no coming in if theres ever inclimate weather?

We built a fireplace/chimney in Culbertson about 40 years ago. Is the A-frame restaurant still there on the north side of the highway?
IkMin8a.png

The building is still there, but the restaurant has been gone for many many years. The place is really ran down now. Used to have a motel behind it that shut down and had rooms rented out for storage.

They just opened a new restaurant along the highway on the south side about 3 blocks east of the A-frame place. The new restaurant is doing great.

I wish the town could figure out a way to improve somehow. Stratton, a small town 20 miles west of here, has been getting some sort of state grants for its homeowners to fix up old houses to keep up the looks of the town and to help keep it from dying out.

...and aren't our schools for education? I can understand the apprehension. But, teach them to drive in snow or at least instruct on a day or 2? I mean, I learned on a RW drive car. Today I passed 18' challengers and 10'+ mustangs, that were stuck on hills, and i glided by while going up hills at 45 degrees. I drive an 02 mustang and I was sliding around for days. Had to use my E brake to stop or turn.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT