ADVERTISEMENT

How much longer until the sellout streak is in jeopardy?

Jun 15, 2012
Has to be close. I'm sure the streak will stay "alive," but in name only. When do the top corners of the stadium start being empty for games?

I think the tickets will be sold for the sell out to continue but a lot of the younger generation would rather do other things compounded by us older ones not wanting to fight the cold.
It’s going on everywhere.

Has to be close. I'm sure the streak will stay "alive," but in name only. When do the top corners of the stadium start being empty for games?

I've had the chance to buy tickets at $60 and decided against it. I see Iowa and wisky tickets now going for sub $60. Probably some companies would buy the unsold seats but the fan base is loosening.

People need to understand sold out does not mean that all ticket holders attend the game. This has been explained on here numerous times. Just because there are empty seats it does not mean those tickets were not sold. Several times thru the 80's tickets were purchased late by companies and given to employees keeping the streak alive. For years from the early 90's thru the Bo years tickets were all sold out before the season started. Any empty seats were just ticket holders not attending. Once again it is getting close as there are tickets for sale late from the ticket office that are not visitor tickets being returned!

So let's say that you are building a new house and because the color of the house is wrong that you should take a couple of concrete blocks out of the foundation to protest the color?

There will be massive empty seats, > 20,000 by the 3rd quarter against Iowa. Tickets will be sold out in advance. Next year, if no improvement early, it gets ugly, possiblp alot of ticket holders don't renew and they have to drop the price.

It’s a streak in name only. The AD’s purchased in the past to keep it going and I’m sure will again. It’s yet another thing we get laughed at because everyone knows it. And no one respects or gives a hoot about Husker football outside of Lincoln. Best to end it, imo, and focus on fielding a respectable team.

They will and it won't be an issue.

It's even more stupid to waste money to fake sellouts, use that $ for top assistants. Also looks stupid when the TV announcers state another sellout crowd with thousands and thousands of empty seats. The AD buying tickets could be against the law for artificially and manipulatively driving up prices.

It's even more stupid to waste money to fake sellouts, use that $ for top assistants. Also looks stupid when the TV announcers state another sellout crowd with thousands and thousands of empty seats. The AD buying tickets could be against the law for artificially and manipulatively driving up prices.

Who cares? The sellout streak literally means nothing except for something for our fans to brag about. No one in the grand scheme really gives a shit.

It’s a streak in name only. The AD’s purchased in the past to keep it going and I’m sure will again. It’s yet another thing we get laughed at because everyone knows it. And no one respects or gives a hoot about Husker football outside of Lincoln. Best to end it, imo, and focus on fielding a respectable team.

Then why are you here? Because you care so little about Husker football? Riiiiight.

While I personally only cared about it when we were good, I hope it stays alive. Why wouldn't we wat that to continue? Having said that, I haven't planned anything around a Husker game in a while and have no plans to attend a game this year either, so while I'm rooting for the streak, I won't do anything to support it because it doesn't mean a thing to me personally.

Actually there are a lot of people who would love our sellout streak. National media comment on it often. Its a big source of pride, and it should be.

And please, all you people commenting on thousands of empty seats-- can you please show me a photo from the start of ANY Husker home football game in the past 57 years that show a lot of empty seats? Good luck with that one.

Who gives a shit about the sellout streak. Media comments about it because they have nothing else nice to say. I’d kick that sellout streak to the curb if I thought it would help us win football games.

Actually there are a lot of people who would love our sellout streak. National media comment on it often. Its a big source of pride, and it should be.

And please, all you people commenting on thousands of empty seats-- can you please show me a photo from the start of ANY Husker home football game in the past 57 years that show a lot of empty seats? Good luck with that one.

Ohio St last year in the student section is the only real one I can remember.

as others mentioned . it is somewhat fake and has been for awhile, at least for many games
there are a couple of companies that are big contributors that buy the excess tickets for as low as a penny just so the streak continues .. Not my opinion, just what I big neb booster / former player told me
no one should mind it, but everyone sort of chuckles when they announce it so much

There will be massive empty seats, > 20,000 by the 3rd quarter against Iowa. Tickets will be sold out in advance. Next year, if no improvement early, it gets ugly, possiblp alot of ticket holders don't renew and they have to drop the price.
Hey, good news for me then. I can buy more or improve my seats! Yea me!!

Sellout=attendance....no. Tickets are sold just didn't go to the game. Student section was sparse against Indiana. They were sold but chose to do something else. It did fill in more after the game started so I guess it was a late arriving group.

The sellout streak needs to end just so the athletic department will be forced to make some changes to the gameday experience. The game environment is so sterile and has been for a while.

Fan promos, trivia to win stuff, 50/50 raffles (while that may sound weird, this is starting to become more prevalent at pro and college sporting venues, can you imagine what the jackpot for a 50/50 raffle would be in a stadium of 80k+?), an in stadium DJ playing music during pregame, etc. Just stuff to get people excited about. It just seems to me that the stock game script has been used for the past 5 or so years with very little deviation.

Last edited:
Reactions: leodisflowers
Fan promos, trivia to win stuff, 50/50 raffles (while that may sound weird, this is starting to become more prevalent at sporting venues, can you imagine what he jackpot for a 50/50 raffle would be in a stadium of 80k+?), an in stadium DJ playing music during pregame, etc. Just stuff to get people excited about. It just seems to me that the stock game script has been used for the past 5 or so years with very little deviation.
I will agree it seems a little dead pregame. And actually a lot of music they play during warm-ups is quite sleepy. The best music played was during the rain delay last year where whoever was in charge had to wing it. It was quite good and the crowd was singing along alot

A few years back didn't they allow more space per person in parts of the stadium? In the endzone maybe?

If they did that for the whole stadium it would reduce the capacity and make sell outs easier.

And, needless to say, more comfortable for fat butts like me.

There is not a football team that comes close to the loyalty Nebraska fans have displayed for the past fifty years.
The sellout streak is a representation of that, and I have no idea why husker fans are so pissed off about it. It might be “fake”, but no other fanbase could pull this off, and we have an astonishing amount of butts in the seats every saturday in all kinds of weather in a low populated state.

Who gives a shit about the sellout streak. Media comments about it because they have nothing else nice to say. I’d kick that sellout streak to the curb if I thought it would help us win football games.

Do you really think it has any bearing on winning games? I get that you're pissed by the product on the field. We all are.

Reactions: ssmill777
It is not a fake sell out streak. The tickets have been sold. There were some games thru the years that corporations purchased tickets at the last minute to keep the streak going but the tickets were actually sold so it is not fake.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Not showing up on Saturday's further diminishes our once extremely proud program. The one thing our program is still known for is having a die hard fan base. Why would we give that up!!

If I didn't know better, I'd think this board is full of non-Huskers/trolls hoping to completely kill the program. WTH!!!

There is not a football team that comes close to the loyalty Nebraska fans have displayed for the past fifty years.
The sellout streak is a representation of that, and I have no idea why husker fans are so pissed off about it. It might be “fake”, but no other fanbase could pull this off, and we have an astonishing amount of butts in the seats every saturday in all kinds of weather in a low populated state.

we are the football gods version of the book of Job. For 18 years the football gods have tested our faith and love for our team and we stick with them.

Reactions: nwualum
ADVERTISEMENT