ADVERTISEMENT

How many times did ESPN mention Nebraska rejecting Joe Burrows

X7vf.gif

I think he's better than what we got
I think this is well over played by now... it’s ok to let it go... I’m sure about 99.9% of every husker fan also thought he wasn’t better then what we had when he transferred.. hindsight is 20/20, but I honestly don’t remember seeing anyone on here saying these things when he decided to transfer.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Once or twice. Who cares, glad for Burrow and LSU. One of the greatest seasons ever by a team and a QB.
Yep. I lived in Louisiana as a Husker fan for about 35 years and had to put up with crap from some of my friends who were LSU fans. I didn't like LSU because the Huskers played LSU a few times and there was always that. The Huskers have a winning record against LSU bye the way I always had to remind them. Anyway I pulled for LSU because of J Burrows and the fact that LSU football is the only thing the state of Louisiana has going for it right now.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Best collection of WR and TE made Burrow look pretty good this year.

Burrow made himself look pretty good too. He gets around in and out of the pocket and he makes beautiful perfect throws. He’s going to be the number one pick in the draft for that reason.

Reactions: rednwash
Burrow made himself look pretty good too. He gets around in and out of the pocket and he makes beautiful perfect throws. He’s going to be the number one pick in the draft for that reason.
I agree with this... now Joe had great talent all around him, and was supported by a great defense as well... but Joe wasn’t just an average QB either, he made some tough plays, and some very good throws, he put that ball in places where only his guys had a play on it... what I seen was a QB that had the ability to put the ball in a spot, and trust his WRs enough to go get the ball... the kid put up some stats this year and I’m happy for him...

Last edited:
I think this is well over played by now... it’s ok to let it go... I’m sure about 99.9% of every husker fan also thought he wasn’t better then what we had when he transferred.. hindsight is 20/20, but I honestly don’t remember seeing anyone on here saying these things when he decided to transfer.

I doubt it would be only .1% wanted him in Lincoln! I'm sure someone other that myself thought the idea of having a true freshman starter who hadn't played a game in 2 years because of a shoulder injury wasn't the best recipe for success....especially with our depth at the time.

Not just any guy btw, you talking bout the guy who almost beat eventual NFL 1st rounder Dwayne Haskins for starter! Now coming out of high school I would agree, matter of fact I doubt Burrows would have stayed in Lincoln thru Riley's tenure because he wanted a certain type of pocket QB.

Also as much as I like the Huskers I'm pretty sure ALMOST across the board the 2nd string guy at Ohio State is better are as good as the starter at Nebraska and probably was a higher rated recruit.

This doesn't just go for OSU, same could be said for Alabama, Clemson, LSU and probably Georgia, Penn State and Michigan even if sometimes they don't play like it......

I doubt it would be only .1% wanted him in Lincoln! I'm sure someone other that myself thought the idea of having a true freshman starter who hadn't played a game in 2 years because of a shoulder injury wasn't the best recipe for success....especially with our depth at the time.

Not just any guy btw, you talking bout the guy who almost beat eventual NFL 1st rounder Dwayne Haskins for starter! Now coming out of high school I would agree, matter of fact I doubt Burrows would have stayed in Lincoln thru Riley's tenure because he wanted a certain type of pocket QB.

Also as much as I like the Huskers I'm pretty sure ALMOST across the board the 2nd string guy at Ohio State is better are as good as the starter at Nebraska and probably was a higher rated recruit.

This doesn't just go for OSU, same could be said for Alabama, Clemson, LSU and probably Georgia, Penn State and Michigan even if sometimes they don't play like it......
the problem is at the the time of his transfer our QB room was not shaky... we were in the middle of a QB battle with Gebbia and Martinez, two highly sought after 4 star kids, both freshmen. Then you take a look a Burrow who had been sitting at OSU and like you said lost his QB battle vs Haskins. Nothing really screamed potential Heisman winner there, or even half of what he did this year.
Now like I said hindsight is 20/20 and yea he could have helped us, but I stand by my original statement that basically no one else thought any different.
Now I’ll even argue that Joes transfer hurt OSU more than it hurt Nebraska to not take him. OSU had him just riding the pine there with talent levels that are similar to that of LSU and Clemson and Alabama. At Nebraska he may have been the difference for maybe a win or two with the talent he would have had here... At OSU he could have been the difference between a championship or two maybe...
like I said I’m not saying I wouldn’t have liked to have him here, because yea he could have helped us. What I am saying is trying to throw Scott’s words in his face when pretty much everyone here said the same thing at the time is just getting old and worn out... I had broke it down in a thread a few weeks ago but if you look at each teams QB situation when Joe transferred it made sense for LSU to take a flier on him. For Nebraska our QB room was in good shape, Albeit we had unknowns, but then again what was Joe without starting experience?

hindsight is 20/20. We had 4 scholarship QBs in the room a the time he wanted to transfer and he wouldn't have been at NU for the spring. He wanted to start right away and only had 2 years left. I can see Frost's logic. Hindsight, he played in a very similar offense at OSU and probably would have picked up Frost's quickly.

hindsight is 20/20. We had 4 scholarship QBs in the room a the time he wanted to transfer and he wouldn't have been at NU for the spring. He wanted to start right away and only had 2 years left. I can see Frost's logic. Hindsight, he played in a very similar offense at OSU and probably would have picked up Frost's quickly.

I can see the logic too, but I still wouldn't have said that to a reporter. Especially considering Frost is good friends with the Burrow family and played with 2 of Joe's uncles. Why take a shot like that at a kid who dreamed of playing at Nebraska?

And at the time I thought Frost was a bit crazy to put all of his faith into a true freshman that didn't even play his senior year of high school. Even if Burrow hadn't played much at OSU, he had still been coached by one of the best coaches in football for 3 years.

I can see the logic too, but I still wouldn't have said that to a reporter. Especially considering Frost is good friends with the Burrow family and played with 2 of Joe's uncles. Why take a shot like that at a kid who dreamed of playing at Nebraska?

And at the time I thought Frost was a bit crazy to put all of his faith into a true freshman that didn't even play his senior year of high school. Even if Burrow hadn't played much at OSU, he had still been coached by one of the best coaches in football for 3 years.
I sincerely hope Frost develops a better sense of savvy for dealing with the media. It probably will become him saying less and less and then we can complain about that too. Clearly he has said some dumb stuff, which is great because the Frost haters (yep, it's a real thing) can use it against him over and over and over.

I think it was more of a long view of the QB room. If we were starting over why not start over with a freshman who will be with you for 4 years instead of a transfer. We also already had a transfer QB in the room also from Nebraska who knew the offense exceptionally well. At the time, it might have been tough to say that Burrow would be a better option than Vedral. Personally after watching 5 minutes in mop up time of Burrow against us, I would have jumped at taking him but that was me.

Doesn't matter, Burrows wouldn't have had the career playing for us that he had at OSU or LSU. The way things went worked out perfect for him to the point he aught to be glad he didn't come here.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Doesn't matter, Burrows wouldn't have had the career playing for us that he had at OSU or LSU. The way things went worked out perfect for him to the point he aught to be glad he didn't come here.
The only time I heard them mention NU was when they mentioned how tough Burrow was and that his dad had played defense at NU. Meh. I think it's fine. I'm very happy for the Burrow family.

OP, in 3 acts:

Act 1: chins sucks and will coach everyone down
Act 2: something something joe burrows
Act 3: what's his speed like?

my favorite is how every single free membership poster head coach completely ignores the fact he was perfectly average during his first year starting at LSU, then made a leap that every single pro scout/player evaluator say is the largest and most unprecedented they've ever seen (6th/7th round to #1 overall) and just acts like it was completely obvious to them sitting on their couch 3 years ago.

get the F out of here, each and every one of you. show me posts from 3 years ago predicting this or piss off.

Reactions: Clemke32
Imagine if Joe Burrow ended up at Nebraska. Our receivers would have been so much bigger and faster!

Good Lord, this is a tired topic. If he'd have come to Nebraska he'd have been outstanding fielding high snaps and throwing 25-yard flat passes to the sidelines. ... He's a great quarterback. And where he is, he has great receivers, a great offensive line and innovative minds directing the offense. The end product was ... great. It might not have been at Nebraska.

Good Lord, this is a tired topic. If he'd have come to Nebraska he'd have been outstanding fielding high snaps and throwing 25-yard flat passes to the sidelines. ... He's a great quarterback. And where he is, he has great receivers, a great offensive line and innovative minds directing the offense. The end product was great. It might not have been at Nebraska.
He would have made us better immediately with his accuracy and decision making. Maybe that makes us a 7-8 win team this year assuming he didn't get injured along the way. In hindsight, he made a great move and LSU was a perfect fit for him. He's very lucky IMO that LSU hired Brady away from the Saints as well. No way he could have known the impact that would have.

He would have made us better immediately with his accuracy and decision making. Maybe that makes us a 7-8 win team this year assuming he didn't get injured along the way. In hindsight, he made a great move and LSU was a perfect fit for him. He's very lucky IMO that LSU hired Brady away from the Saints as well. No way he could have known the impact that would have.
Big assumption, that he'd have stayed healthy at Nebraska this year. ... Agree with the rest of the post. If so, he'd have made us better. Hard to quantify in a W-L record. .... He made a great move, and a lucky one.

Big assumption, that he'd have stayed healthy at Nebraska this year. ... Agree with the rest of the post. If so, he'd have made us better. Hard to quantify in a W-L record. .... He made a great move, and a lucky one.
That's why I put in the disclaimer "assuming he didn't get injured". We really got our QBs banged up in practice and games this past season.

Reactions: gomerxx
That's why I put in the disclaimer "assuming he didn't get injured". We really got our QBs banged up in practice and games this past season.
much bigger assumption to think he makes the same unprecedented leap from year 1 to year 2 anywhere else.

last year was the joe burrow everyone knew. this year, he caught lightning in a bottle. is this his new normal? bengals fans are about to find out.

it is idiotic to assume he's the exact same guy with zero of the same inputs.

I think most of the posters we "got" on this board are better than you. More mature for certain. By the replies you are getting, it seems to me that others are more diplomatically trying to tell you the same thing. A lot of people don't take a hint so I've just laid it out for you. Try to do some good with it.

I think most of the posters we "got" on this board are better than you. More mature for certain. By the replies you are getting, it seems to me that others are more diplomatically trying to tell you the same thing. A lot of people don't take a hint so I've just laid it out for you. Try to do some good with it.

giphy.gif

Amazing all the posters in here that have better football IQ than Urban Meyer, who was letting a 15-0, Heisman trophy winning, national champion QB rot away on his bench sitting at 4th string.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT