ADVERTISEMENT

How many spots are actually still open for 2022?

antirowboat

Junior
Jan 30, 2021
Going over the numbers it seems like we have fewer spots open than most realize.

QB: No seniors. Yes Adrian could try to go pro but that doesn't mean it's a for sure thing.

RB: There's no upperclassman and we already have our 2022 commit. So there's no more room here.

TE: We actually have too many bodies now and already have our 2022, and 2023 commit. This unit is full.

WR: We will have 7 guys back with 2 commits already coming in. So that makes it 9. And some of our TE's can easily split out on passing routes. So there is no need for another WR.

OL: Nobody graduates and there are 14 bodies. That explains the slow-moving nature of OL recruiting for the 2022 class. Wouldn't shock me if they just take one.

DL: 1 person graduates and that means 13 guys returning. Thus, we may only take 1 at DL. For sure no more than 2.

ILB: 9 bodies return and we already have ILB commits. We don't have room for any more.

OLB: We have 1 graduate. Thus, 8 bodies back and already have a 2022 commit. Do we take another OLB? Not sure we do.

CB: CTB will go pro even though he could technically return. That gives us 7. I don't see us taking more than one CB.

S: Two guys graduate, giving us 4 bodies back.

Thus, when you really dig into the numbers, the 2022 class is mostly done already. There simply isn't room for much more.

Mabye:

1 OL
1 or 2 DL
2 DB

I know the number of 15 has been used by people but I just don't see it happening.

Any attrition that happens go with the portal during the off-season or use it for the 2023 class so we can take a bigger class.

They have 14 right now. Waiting on word from the NCAA on if they will get more (Covid Sr’s).

I don’t think we get over 17. Even with attrition
I've been saying for months that I wasn't sure that there was much urgency at any spot other than QB. I'm hoping we wait to fill some spots until after we hopefully get off to a good start this fall. Man IF there was some way we could pull off an upset of OU, things could really break out for us on the recruiting front. Sigh.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT