ADVERTISEMENT

How long will this last?

Then why do they keep saying that the masks don't help?
Personally I think it was a ploy to try to save them for healthcare workers. People were buying/ordering everything they could get their hands on. At the local medical clinic and hospital cleaners and support people were stealing all they could get their hands on. We hadn't even had a positive case in the area so they were either hoarding them just in case or they were selling them on ebay. I'm sure that was going on all over the country.

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
18 months is my guess when we're 100% germ free
I'll be surprised if we're ever free of this one. It's adapted very well to humans and it will circulate around and pop up again from time to time. We need a vaccine and we probably need to include it with the flu vaccine JMHO.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
I'll be surprised if we're ever free of this one. It's adapted very well to humans and it will circulate around and pop up again from time to time. We need a vaccine and we probably need to include it with the flu vaccine JMHO.
They're saying its stable, but who knows, if it is, a vaccine will make it just another on the list.

I would expect it to come in waves as it finds areas with low population immunity. This deal isn't going away anytime soon. IMO, we'll be practicing social distancing or at least should be for months. . I feel terrible for restaurant and bar owners. There's going to be a ton of business failures in hospitality businesses and I think we'll lose some airlines. I have an extended family member who is a pilot who just quit one foreign airline to take a job with a small North American airline. He''s in limbo and his wife doesn't work outside of the home. Tough deal.

People say Trump doesn't listen to his advisors. IMO the reason he's coming out now is because his economic advisors are telling him that if we shut down too long we'll lead the entire globe in to an economic depression. Our economy drives the world economy. There are no easy answers in this deal. You can't really shut things down because you have to maintain the flow of goods and services (food and supplies) to consumers. .

Last edited:
I would expect it to come in waves as it finds areas with low population immunity. This deal isn't going away anytime soon. IMO, we'll be practicing social distancing or at least should be for months. . I feel terrible for restaurant and bar owners. There's going to be a ton of business failures in hospitality businesses and I think we'll lose some airlines. I have an extended family member who is a pilot who just quit one foreign airline to take a job with a small North American airline. He''s in limbo and his wife doesn't work outside of the home. Tough deal.

People say Trump doesn't listen to his advisors. IMO the reason he's coming out now is because his economic advisors are telling him that if we shut down to long we'll lead the entire globe in to an economic depression. Our economy drives the world economy. There are no easy answers in this deal. You can't really shut things down because you have to maintain the flow of goods and services (food and supplies) to consumers. .

The wheels are kinda coming off. President already had a mini blow up talking about how this is just media ploy to make him do terrible in the election. News flash prez...people that save the country get re elected and it doesn't matter what the media says.

Liberal doctor from liberal Nebraska saying Easter likely not happening. Same for the liberal General who is a doctor for the Joint Chiefs says Easter not likely turning point. Liberal Linsey Graham saying you can't have a normal economy with state shutdowns and general fear of contamination in the populace. All being reported on liberal Fox News.

Yah POTUS it's only the libs who are after you.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
The way I see it, it is what it is. This could destroy life as we know it.
Whether people care about that is one thing, but informing those who need to see the bigger picture is another.
Most people want their lives back, and it wont happen if this continues too long.
Now, you can condemn me, or anyone who is telling it straight, but those are the facts.
The term fiddling around refers to Nero, as he fiddled while Rome burned.
I see alot of fiddling going on

The wheels are kinda coming off. President already had a mini blow up talking about how this is just media ploy to make him do terrible in the election. News flash prez...people that save the country get re elected and it doesn't matter what the media says.

Liberal doctor from liberal Nebraska saying Easter likely not happening. Same for the liberal General who is a doctor for the Joint Chiefs says Easter not likely turning point. Liberal Linsey Graham saying you can't have a normal economy with state shutdowns and general fear of contamination in the populace. All being reported on liberal Fox News.

Yah POTUS it's only the libs who are after you.
Trump says some pretty stupid stuff sometimes but largely to this point he's listened to and enacted recommendations from his healthcare experts. The Surgeon General sounded pretty optimistic this morning and did in fact say that this needs to be handled on a case by case basis on a local level.

I think what's pissing Trump off is the same thing pissing me off. The Democrats held up the aid package to institute tougher pollution controls which are going to make us even less competitive in the world market. Then they also insisted on including language that will boost their union leader supporters. At a time when a large part of our problem is that we import most of our critical supplies from China, the Dems insisted on stuff that is going to make it tougher to regain some of our supply chain.

THEN, you have every newspaper and TV station in the country blasting Trump for not having enough ventilators in the city etc. That is NOT the federal government's job. One Dr. in New York yesterday said, "forget the ventilators. Who's going to run them?" They don't have enough staff to take care of the patients and the equipment they have already. The Democrat leadership is using this crisis to advance their leftist agenda. It's sickening. I'm not a Trump fan but this doesn't lie at his feet. There wasn't a single damned person from either party screaming for more ventilators in this country before this broke.

Trump says some pretty stupid stuff sometimes but largely to this point he's listened to and enacted recommendations from his healthcare experts. The Surgeon General sounded pretty optimistic this morning and did in fact say that this needs to be handled on a case by case basis on a local level.

I think what's pissing Trump off is the same thing pissing me off. The Democrats held up the aid package to institute tougher pollution controls which are going to make us even less competitive in the world market. Then they also insisted on including language that will boost their union leader supporters. At a time when a large part of our problem is that we import most of our critical supplies from China, the Dems insisted on stuff that is going to make it tougher to regain some of our supply chain.

THEN, you have every newspaper and TV station in the country blasting Trump for not having enough ventilators in the city etc. That is NOT the federal government's job. One Dr. in New York yesterday said, "forget the ventilators. Who's going to run them?" They don't have enough staff to take care of the patients and the equipment they have already. The Democrat leadership is using this crisis to advance their leftist agenda. It's sickening. I'm not a Trump fan but this doesn't lie at his feet. There wasn't a single damned person from either party screaming for more ventilators in this country before this broke.
Hear hear

Reactions: leodisflowers
I don't know how long this Covid 19 will last, but way down the scale on what is important I am missing some great spring skiing. Looking at the webcam of our local hill it looks great. Sunny, cool temperature and fresh snow. (Check it out missionridge.com). You will see tracks. Those are from people much more ambitious than me. They either used AT gear or snowshoed up. I am taking the birddog for runs (I walk) and work out on the peloton, but man am I missing the hill.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
New York tried to do what Omaha unfortunately did. In the face of known community spread people ignored social distancing and bars and restaurants were still operated at full speed. Cuomo resisting doing what many restaurant and bar owners in my little hamlet did yesterday without any order to do so and we haven't had any cases in our immediate area yet. There was one case a ways down the road in a person who had traveled out of the state. It was caught early and he was shipped to Omaha. With all of the mouths I suddenly have to feed I've made a couple of trips to the grocery store and Walmart over the past couple of days and people are being very very careful and compliant IMO. We'll be fine now that most people have the crap scared out of them. The number of local cases are going to go up in Omaha and Lincoln especially, but IF we keep practicing social distancing and very fastidious personal hygiene we'll be okay IMO.
So would that be Cuomo or deblasio??

Agreed. People seem to agree he's respond generally well. If he lets his thin skin get the best of him though and he starts talking more about what his opponents are doing to his election rather than what his administration is doing for all of us whatever good will he's capture will disappear right fast.

Reactions: dinglefritz

Whats interesting is, he doesnt one line looking smarter than he is, which most poiticians do.
Also, those other politicians wouldn't attempt what he's done, to speak so often ,often many hours, on a subject he isn't super schooled in, but gets by, and does inspire, if you arent waiting for some numnuts gitcha moment.
I want to see another person, say Biden, say as much, express as much, coming off as well, for hours day n and day out.

I goes both ways brother... both sides have an agenda. Pointing fingers at one side is laughable at this point.

So you are telling me that the right wasn't pushing for corporation bailout with no stipulations? <- I think not

You need to realize businesses big and small are all suffering here, and no liberal or conservative wants that. This is what it is dude, a pandemic and it's not benefiting anyone at the moment.

This is not about the Left hating on Trump. This is not about the Right hating on Pelosi. This is about people losing money on the right, and about not enough help for the people for the left. That is the only political thing going on here, and it is what is always going on in the world of politics! It just came to it's head because of COVID-19.

No one asked for any of this, so for once for the love of God stop blaming a political affiliation as the reason for this shit show.

I am listening to a few people right now and that is it.

Bill Gates - Event 201 (Called this before it started)

Fauci - He knows the actual information, and unlike Trump knows what is necessary here.

Doctors from Italy - They f'd up over there and they know what this virus can do

Last edited:
Whats interesting is, he doesnt one line looking smarter than he is, which most poiticians do.
Also, those other politicians wouldn't attempt what he's done, to speak so often ,often many hours, on a subject he isn't super schooled in, but gets by, and does inspire, if you arent waiting for some numnuts gitcha moment.
I want to see another person, say Biden, say as much, express as much, coming off as well, for hours day n and day out.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but Trump does not come off as inspiring to me and does not come of well to me, at all. In fact, I can’t see how that guy is inspiring to anyone. He says things that make no sense, he attacks any and everyone with legit questions or concerns, he backtracks and changes his stance daily, he lies his ass off.

Last edited:
Up front -- I hate both sides. You're all a bunch of idiots.

Trump is an awful leader. But he's doing the only thing he can in this situation-- he stepped to the side and let someone else do what they are good at.

That is at least a form of reasonably good leadership. Now if he could only keep his mouth shut and let us cope with the problem... yeah not gonna happen. He's just not someone who inspires anything resembling gravity and dignity.

Initially my first thought was this would be over by May, June at the latest. Now not so sure. This may very well end up being like the flu. It will be here from now on and odds are you will get every so many years. Like flu it will kill thousands ever year. We will get use to it and it will just be apart of our every day lives.

Atlantic obviously left leaning but this is a pretty good article outlining some possibilities. I found value in the thought processes behind the possibilities.

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/...social-distancing-over-back-to-normal/608752/

One thing to consider, pulling in my other thread about whether we have a football season or not. For a whole mess of things, it doesn't really matter what Trump says. The structure of our society is such that decisions get made at a host of varying levels.

If he decides to remove *Federal* restrictions, it doesn't stop the governors and mayors from cracking down. It doesn't stop sports leagues and universities from getting twitchy about groups bigger than 10 etc...

Keep in mind that the Trump/Fauci conversation is only one level of conversation that's taking place. He may want his "big beautiful economy" back on April 12 and decide not to heed Fauci's advice, but decision makers public and private are having conversations with the medical folks too and it seems unlikely that many of them will see the doctors' opinion in the same light that Trump does. Those are decisions he can only watch and Tweet about.

Initially my first thought was this would be over by May, June at the latest. Now not so sure. This may very well end up being like the flu. It will be here from now on and odds are you will get every so many years. Like flu it will kill thousands ever year. We will get use to it and it will just be apart of our every day lives.

There are a ton of unknowns. The general consensus is that it'll be 12 to 18 months before a vaccine is ready, if one can be found at all. There are at least a couple candidates right now I believe. Then there's the whole "time to innoculate the globe" thing, and making however many billion doses. That stuff doesn't spring up overnight.

There was one article I was reading, and it something to the effect of, a corona vaccine would be different from a flu vaccine, which kinda sucks because if it were similar to a flu vaccine there would be a host of labs that could crank it out en masse. But we'd have to more or less start from scratch on corona production because of the way this candidate is produced.

There's also not alot known about how long any sort of immunity lasts (forever, just a year, whatever) when you get herd immunity or a vaccine.

Reactions: husker2612
I goes both ways brother... both sides have an agenda. Pointing fingers at one side is laughable at this point.

So you are telling me that the right wasn't pushing for corporation bailout with no stipulations? <- I think not

You need to realize businesses big and small are all suffering here, and no liberal or conservative wants that. This is what it is dude, a pandemic and it's not benefiting anyone at the moment.

This is not about the Left hating on Trump. This is not about the Right hating on Pelosi. This is about people losing money on the right, and about not enough help for the people for the left. That is the only political thing going on here, and it is what is always going on in the world of politics! It just came to it's head because of COVID-19.

No one asked for any of this, so for once for the love of God stop blaming a political affiliation as the reason for this shit show.

I am listening to a few people right now and that is it.

Bill Gates - Event 201 (Called this before it started)

Fauci - He knows the actual information, and unlike Trump knows what is necessary here.

Doctors from Italy - They f'd up over there and they know what this virus can do
I think libs should just start businesses when this is over, help no businesses, not one,ever,at all.
Let the libs start them, but, dont look for help, the government will be broke, no monies from people who have none, and even billionaires, Steyer, all, wiped out.
So,let libs start businesses.
No cops, no pay, no taxes, ne help.
Guns at your door next, take your small business, now they're the government.

Bouncing around from reality as is, to what it could be, we have no time, everyones hurting.
The dollar wont mean anything after awhile, so billionaires will be cooked too.

Or, we can keep what weve built, so we can get back to work. If you think a huge business doesn't require alot of money, day to day, theyre also losing more money in one day than any hundred normal americans will ever make, but no? They don't need help too?

Good luck finding a job in such a utopia.

If you think a huge business doesn't require alot of money, day to day, theyre also losing more money in one day than any hundred normal americans will ever make, but no? They don't need help too?

They do need help, but that doesn't mean they should profit from this while million of workers get laid off. I'm not an idiot, I am fully aware that corporations employ a good amount of this country. I also know a lot of the people getting this money are some of the greediest people that only care about their bottom dollar.

Bottom dollar should mean nothing here, they should be able to take a hit for good of getting the economy back in order. When a worker loses their job, they lose their home. When a CEO loses some profits they aren't losing anything. They will have to give up some things for a some time.

I wish people could be like Drew Brees. It's too bad they are mostly like Richard Burr

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/north-carolina-sen-richard-burr-sold-off-stock/story?id=69699666

Last edited:
There are a ton of unknowns. The general consensus is that it'll be 12 to 18 months before a vaccine is ready, if one can be found at all. There are at least a couple candidates right now I believe. Then there's the whole "time to innoculate the globe" thing, and making however many billion doses. That stuff doesn't spring up overnight.

There was one article I was reading, and it something to the effect of, a corona vaccine would be different from a flu vaccine, which kinda sucks because if it were similar to a flu vaccine there would be a host of labs that could crank it out en masse. But we'd have to more or less start from scratch on corona production because of the way this candidate is produced.

There's also not alot known about how long any sort of immunity lasts (forever, just a year, whatever) when you get herd immunity or a vaccine.
Right this will be a big factor in all this. Will it be similar to chicken pox where you get it once and done or the Flu where it protects you for a year or so.

Atlantic obviously left leaning but this is a pretty good article outlining some possibilities. I found value in the thought processes behind the possibilities.

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/...social-distancing-over-back-to-normal/608752/

One thing to consider, pulling in my other thread about whether we have a football season or not. For a whole mess of things, it doesn't really matter what Trump says. The structure of our society is such that decisions get made at a host of varying levels.

If he decides to remove *Federal* restrictions, it doesn't stop the governors and mayors from cracking down. It doesn't stop sports leagues and universities from getting twitchy about groups bigger than 10 etc...

Keep in mind that the Trump/Fauci conversation is only one level of conversation that's taking place. He may want his "big beautiful economy" back on April 12 and decide not to heed Fauci's advice, but decision makers public and private are having conversations with the medical folks too and it seems unlikely that many of them will see the doctors' opinion in the same light that Trump does. Those are decisions he can only watch and Tweet about.
Atlantic is left leaning? Hahaha. They should just change their name to Pravda.Laughing

Reactions: jflores
Right this will be a big factor in all this. Will it be similar to chicken pox where you get it once and done or the Flu where it protects you for a year or so.
Will be most likely more like the flu if it behaves like other CVs.

I've said for weeks that we will know more by May 1st where this will head. Good or bad. With the social distancing and shut down of gatherings and gathering places I'm optimistic that the number of new cases will be falling by then in most places. BUT we won't IMO be able to let down our guard until we have wide spread vaccination.

I've said for weeks that we will know more by May 1st where this will head. Good or bad. With the social distancing and shut down of gatherings and gathering places I'm optimistic that the number of new cases will be falling by then in most places. BUT we won't IMO be able to let down our guard until we have wide spread vaccination.

Yah I mean I'll take what relief we can get, but it doesn't really empty out the pickle jar right? If this thing is seasonal, you have the NCAA hoping to squeeze in a season during the heat of a summer, but in the larger economy...do we just shut down again in September? That seems like the most likely response considering we won't have 350 million vaccines by then.

I think libs should just start businesses when this is over, help no businesses, not one,ever,at all.
Let the libs start them, but, dont look for help, the government will be broke, no monies from people who have none, and even billionaires, Steyer, all, wiped out.
So,let libs start businesses.
No cops, no pay, no taxes, ne help.
Guns at your door next, take your small business, now they're the government.

Bouncing around from reality as is, to what it could be, we have no time, everyones hurting.
The dollar wont mean anything after awhile, so billionaires will be cooked too.

Or, we can keep what weve built, so we can get back to work. If you think a huge business doesn't require alot of money, day to day, theyre also losing more money in one day than any hundred normal americans will ever make, but no? They don't need help too?

So in your mind “libs” don’t believe in government, taxes, cops, etc? If you feel so strongly about all those things you might be a, gasp, “lib”. As for handing huge corporations money, I believe the “libs” wanted assurances that they would use that money to keep jobs, pay people, etc. As they fear those owners would just pocket the money without those in place, which they will.

So in your mind “libs” don’t believe in government, taxes, cops, etc? If you feel so strongly about all those things you might be a, gasp, “lib”. As for handing huge corporations money, I believe the “libs” wanted assurances that they would use that money to keep jobs, pay people, etc. As they fear those owners would just pocket the money without those in place, which they will.

The whole lib/not lib thing is over done.

When the conservative party goes up and produces $6 trillion in spending overnight and a promise of more to come, Trump included as a cheerleader, with little to no thought of a free market solution....traditional conservatism is dead.

That's not to say that there won't be policy differences on social issues and what not, but Trump has never been a real staunch conservative. People like the tone, the bravado, the F you attitude that is normally not attributed to "snowflakes". But in terms of dollars and cents, this is what you would have gotten out of a Biden or RINO GOP, etc.

Hence, the mourning of conservatism in pockets around the country.

They do need help, but that doesn't mean they should profit from this while million of workers get laid off. I'm not an idiot, I am fully aware that corporations employ a good amount of this country. I also know a lot of the people getting this money are some of the greediest people that only care about their bottom dollar.

Bottom dollar should mean nothing here, they should be able to take a hit for good of getting the economy back in order. When a worker loses their job, they lose their home. When a CEO loses some profits they aren't losing anything. They will have to give up some things for a some time.

I wish people could be like Drew Brees. It's too bad they are mostly like Richard Burr

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/north-carolina-sen-richard-burr-sold-off-stock/story?id=69699666
Using this argument, then you are against just handing out 600 dollars to those out of work?
Thats 600 over and above the states unemployment payouts? Which means, many will make more being laid off? Not great encouragement to getting back to work at lower pay?

Yah I mean I'll take what relief we can get, but it doesn't really empty out the pickle jar right? If this thing is seasonal, you have the NCAA hoping to squeeze in a season during the heat of a summer, but in the larger economy...do we just shut down again in September? That seems like the most likely response considering we won't have 350 million vaccines by then.
We COULD have enough vaccine to vaccinate the highest risk folks like healthcare workers and the elderly by September. It would take an extreme expediting of the FDA's approval process but it could be done. Hell, IMO we could have hundreds of thousands of doses of vaccine in a real time wild virus challenge in a matter of a few more weeks if the FDA would change their protocols. This is a dire situation and it requires dire measures. Personally I would be first in line to take one of the experimental vaccines they're testing now. The only risk is that you might not get the right dose to illicit an adequate immune response or you might have a reaction to an adjuvant. The testing our government requires on some things is just ludicrous.

if so that could be a positive if in the long run vaccination rates go up as people get the flu vaccine just to protect themselves from Coronavirus.

The whole lib/not lib thing is over done.

When the conservative party goes up and produces $6 trillion in spending overnight and a promise of more to come, Trump included as a cheerleader, with little to no thought of a free market solution....traditional conservatism is dead.

That's not to say that there won't be policy differences on social issues and what not, but Trump has never been a real staunch conservative. People like the tone, the bravado, the F you attitude that is normally not attributed to "snowflakes". But in terms of dollars and cents, this is what you would have gotten out of a Biden or RINO GOP, etc.

Hence, the mourning of conservatism in pockets around the country.

Well I guess it shouldn't be surprising, the RINO GOP thing. This is essentially Romney's plan that Trump signed.

Reactions: dinglefritz
if so that could be a positive if in the long run vaccination rates go up as people get the flu vaccine just to protect themselves from Coronavirus.
At least in the near term they would likely have to be separate shots but I would think you could give it at the same visit.

ADVERTISEMENT