ADVERTISEMENT

How long until we are a Top 10 program once again?

bigboxes

Nebraska Legend
Sep 4, 2004
Arlington, TX
All this football talk has got me pumped up more than I have been in years. I can see that Frost is serious about recruiting. He knows how to sell the program to recruits. I think we are going to see better results this year do to our schedule. Although we will have a tougher schedule after that, I envision us better than this year. The depth will come. The competition for those spots will make us better.

I'm guessing Year 4 when it all comes together. We'll be ranked Top 10 and hold the ranking all year long. The playoffs will be nice. I hope the NCAA expands to an 8 team playoff. I say we make it even if stays at 4 teams. Frost parlays his success and this becomes a regular thing for as long as he coaches.

How long do you think it will take for us to return to Top 10 program? I'm not talking about getting a team ranked in the Top 10. Riley did that. I mean when NU is always in the discussion for making the playoffs.

Reactions: HominidHusker
I think it is going to be very difficult for us to be a consistent top ten program like we once were. I don’t ever see us doing that again. Too much has changed in college football. The demographics are just not in our favor. Every team has money. Every team is on TV all the time. Most teams have top shelf coaching staff’s. Most P5 programs now have eye-popping facilities. I see us being a consistent top 20 team most years with a break into the top ten every three or four years. Heck, we might even win a national title at some point. I just don’t see us being an “every year” top ten team. Sorry. I bleed Husker Red. I wish I did not think this way. But I do.

I think Frost’s recruiting so far bears this out. He has recruited well, don’t get me wrong. But his recruiting classes, including this year so far, are top 25 material, not top ten. I hope that changes by the end of this recruiting cycle. If we have a good season this year we could land a top 15 type class. I would especially like to see us land some true difference makers for the defensive front 7. Because we will never return to elite status without an elite defense.

Last edited:
I would especially like to see us land some true difference makers for the defensive front 7. Because we will never return to elite status without an elite defense.

I'm a Lincoln-native who moved south (Atlanta area) in 1996. I'm still a huge Nebraska fan, but I've become more and more into my alma mater (University of Georgia) as I've gotten older. I say all of that as a preface to pointing out that your line about the defensive front 7 as it relates to Nebraska is spot on. Say what you will about the SEC, but one thing it has in droves is elite defensive linemen. That's where I see the biggest gap between Nebraska and teams/programs in the top-10/15. Martinez is going to be a freaking star, and Frost is going to get WRs and RBs that shine in his system, but until NEB can step up along the front 7 (particularly the front 3 to 4) I think it's going to be incredibly tough — if not outright impossible — to be a consistent top-10 team.

I'm a Lincoln-native who moved south (Atlanta area) in 1996. I'm still a huge Nebraska fan, but I've become more and more into my alma mater (University of Georgia) as I've gotten older. I say all of that as a preface to pointing out that your line about the defensive front 7 as it relates to Nebraska is spot on. Say what you will about the SEC, but one thing it has in droves is elite defensive linemen. That's where I see the biggest gap between Nebraska and teams/programs in the top-10/15. Martinez is going to be a freaking star, and Frost is going to get WRs and RBs that shine in his system, but until NEB can step up along the front 7 (particularly the front 3 to 4) I think it's going to be incredibly tough — if not outright impossible — to be a consistent top-10 team.
And Osborne finally broke through to national titles in the 90’s when he finally put together elite defenses to complement his great offenses. Can you imagine those teams in 82 and 83 if they had had defenses that were worth a crap? And look at the dynasty Saban has built. Alabama isn’t known as an offensive juggernaut. It wins titles with suffocating defenses.

So I agree with you. Unless or until Frost fields a dominating elite defense, we won’t be a consistent top ten team.

Why does it have to be top 10 every year?

In this day and age there isn’t much separating the top 10 to the top 15-16 which basically coming down to winning or losing your bowl game...

Who would of thought the whorns would have been a top 10 team last year with a 10-4 years end record and Michigan was in the top 5-6 all year and finished 14th losing their last two games..

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennsyhusker
And Osborne finally broke through to national titles in the 90’s when he finally put together elite defenses to complement his great offenses. Can you imagine those teams in 82 and 83 if they had had defenses that were worth a crap? And look at the dynasty Saban has built. Alabama isn’t known as an offensive juggernaut. It wins titles with suffocating defenses.

So I agree with you. Unless or until Frost fields a dominating elite defense, we won’t be a consistent top ten team.
What's funny about Alabama is the one year they had a legitimately scary-good offense (last year) they were blasted for the first time in his tenure. Go figure.

All this football talk has got me pumped up more than I have been in years. I can see that Frost is serious about recruiting. He knows how to sell the program to recruits. I think we are going to see better results this year do to our schedule. Although we will have a tougher schedule after that, I envision us better than this year. The depth will come. The competition for those spots will make us better.

I'm guessing Year 4 when it all comes together. We'll be ranked Top 10 and hold the ranking all year long. The playoffs will be nice. I hope the NCAA expands to an 8 team playoff. I say we make it even if stays at 4 teams. Frost parlays his success and this becomes a regular thing for as long as he coaches.

How long do you think it will take for us to return to Top 10 program? I'm not talking about getting a team ranked in the Top 10. Riley did that. I mean when NU is always in the discussion for making the playoffs.
Starts right now... They believe and they will achieve...

In this day and age there is much separating the top 10 to the top 15-16 which basically coming down to winning or losing your bowl game...

Who would of thought the whorns would have been a top 10 team last year with a 10-4 years end record and Michigan was in the top 5-6 all year and finished 14th losing their last two games..
I think seeking consistent top-10 stuff means in the regular season. Everyone wants to win a bowl game, sure, but I don't think people care nearly as much as they used to with the creation of the playoff. To me, it's about what you did in the regular season/conference title game. Had Michigan (or Georgia, for that matter) won its bowl game I don't think their fans would have been happy about their seasons. They each had the playoff in their grasp and blew it.

Reactions: HuskerO
I think seeking consistent top-10 stuff means in the regular season. Everyone wants to win a bowl game, sure, but I don't think people care nearly as much as they used to with the creation of the playoff. To me, it's about what you did in the regular season/conference title game. Had Michigan (or Georgia, for that matter) won its bowl game I don't think their fans would have been happy about their seasons. They each had the playoff in their grasp and blew it.

I would say there is a big discrepancy from being ranked 5th in the final poll or 7th like Georgia, and not making the playoffs compared to finishing 14th like Michigan did..

Georgia blew it but Michigan was blown out by Ohio St and Florida.

I think it is going to be very difficult for us to be a consistent top ten program like we once were. I don’t ever see us doing that again. Too much has changed in college football. The demographics are just not in our favor. Every team has money. Every team is on TV all the time. Most teams have top shelf coaching staff’s. Most P5 programs now have eye-popping facilities. I see us being a consistent top 20 team most years with a break into the top ten every three or four years. Heck, we might even win a national title at some point. I just don’t see us being an “every year” top ten team. Sorry. I bleed Husker Red. I wish I did not think this way. But I do.

I think Frost’s recruiting so far bears this out. He has recruited well, don’t get me wrong. But his recruiting classes, including this year so far, are top 25 material, not top ten. I hope that changes by the end of this recruiting cycle. If we have a good season this year we could land a top 15 type class. I would especially like to see us land some true difference makers for the defensive front 7. Because we will never return to elite status without an elite defense.
You probably know more than me, but I 100% disagree with this. Count me in the camp that believes whole heartedly that the Frost/Osborne formula will work again.

You probably know more than me, but I 100% disagree with this. Count me in the camp that believes whole heartedly that the Frost/Osborne formula will work again.

I don’t think Pennsy is saying that...

People forget Osborne teams hardly finished out of the top 10 might have been in one poll but not the other..His worst rated teams were from 1990-1992..

This seems pretty accurate in all reality. Hard to believe much different.

But anything is possible- no fear of failure. The future starts now and Husker Football will outperform it’s projected trajectory because Scott Frost will make it happen.

Our rise begins with the offense. Our return to a Top 10 program ends with the defense. Coach Frost is responsible for both. Hopefully, he won't pull a Callahan and keep his DC if it's not working.

I agree if we want to consistently be a top 10 team we have to consistently be a top 10 recruiting team. Im not going to say recruiting top 10 teams year after year can't happen. I just think it might be very tough. Like you said. There is nothing that Nebraska can offer that many other schools can't. If we can put together a couple good years, recruiting will no doubt get easier.

I would say there is a big discrepancy from being ranked 5th in the final poll or 7th like Georgia, and not making the playoffs compared to finishing 14th like Michigan did..

Georgia blew it but Michigan was blown out by Ohio St and Florida.
I dunno. It still felt like a disappointment, I can tell you that.

I agree that TV$$$ and TV exposure are the great equalizer that allows teams without big stadiums or great fan support can still hire good coaches and build facilities. We can still remember the glory years but much harder to duplicate today.

So okay, here's the question then.....Ohio State....I understand they're an elite level program right now, no doubt about it. They get elite talent right now. BUT, they run spread, and they're a midwest school. Nebraska.....we run the spread, we're a midwest school. We beat them a few times, and show we can over take them. Elite recruits flock to Lincoln to be apart of it. Same concept with beating Wisconsin. I guess the point I'm making is I don't understand why some people think we can't be a Top 10 team, or better, consistently anymore. It just takes building, winning, and developing.

Reactions: Sinomatic

In this day and age there isn’t much separating the top 10 to the top 15-16 which basically coming down to winning or losing your bowl game...

I think there's a big difference in perceived success if you finish at #7 vs #13 (for example). You're right, it's probably not that much of a difference, but it seems like it when grading success of a program mid to long term (imo).

After year 5, I'm okay with finishing the season being ranked 11-15 as long we finish in the Top 10 seven out of ten years. Finishing outside of the top 20 (after 5 years) is unacceptable*. I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation especially with Nebraska being in the BIG10 West.

To answer the OP's question, I think Frost will have Nebraska consistently (70%+) in the Top 10 after year 4. Maybe even sooner!

* That doesn't necessarily mean I'm calling for the HC to be fired.

So okay, here's the question then.....Ohio State....I understand they're an elite level program right now, no doubt about it. They get elite talent right now. BUT, they run spread, and they're a midwest school. Nebraska.....we run the spread, we're a midwest school. We beat them a few times, and show we can over take them. Elite recruits flock to Lincoln to be apart of it. Same concept with beating Wisconsin. I guess the point I'm making is I don't understand why some people think we can't be a Top 10 team, or better, consistently anymore. It just takes building, winning, and developing.

"Just'?

There is a big difference in Ohio St location and Nebraska location. Ohio St can pull in 5 or 6, 4&5 star talent yearly from their own state. We can't. There is no doubt if we can consistently become a top 25 team recruiting will be easier. However there is no way we can make up those 5 or 6 recruits that Ohio St pulls from their own state. We have to get them elsewhere. Getting top recruits to leave their local area, where other top schools are recruiting them is tough.

September 22, 2019. Nebraska will be 4-0 and ranked in at least 1 Top 10 poll. Perhaps inflated a bit to create hype for the game against OSU the following weekend.

Beat the Buckeyes and NU may stick in the Top 10 a while. Lose, and the climb starts over.

Reactions: Top_Gun_
September 22, 2019. Nebraska will be 4-0 and ranked in at least 1 Top 10 poll. Perhaps inflated a bit to create hype for the game against OSU the following weekend.

Beat the Buckeyes and NU may stick in the Top 10 a while. Lose, and the climb starts over.
Gotta get by Colorado, but if (when?) Nebraska does that, I'd expect the Huskers to be a top-20 team (I don't think they'll be close to 10) and they'll get a top-6 Ohio State team in Lincoln. I'd hate... HATE... that game to get the 11:00 am kickoff on FOX, but they seem hell-bent on going that route.

Bingo! Spot on mate

There is a big difference in Ohio St location and Nebraska location. Ohio St can pull in 5 or 6, 4&5 star talent yearly from their own state. We can't. There is no doubt if we can consistently become a top 25 team recruiting will be easier. However there is no way we can make up those 5 or 6 recruits that Ohio St pulls from their own state. We have to get them elsewhere. Getting top recruits to leave their local area, where other top schools are recruiting them is tough.
They are also very close to the fertile recruiting ground of Michigan and Pennsylvania.

Reactions: husker2612

Nebraska has always had to recruit nationally. Frost says it perfectly. No more excuses.

They are also very close to the fertile recruiting ground of Michigan and Pennsylvania.
Looking at last years class Ohio St has 8 of their commits not from Ohio or a 1 state radius. Neb has 14. The quality of our Neb and 1 state radius talent is much lower than what Ohio St can pull in.
We have to be able to consistently get good talent from Okla, Texas, Mo, AZ. We have to be able to keep the Neb kids and consistently be able to pull from Colorado, Kansas, Iowa, MN, SD. Then we need to be able to snag a few elite level kids from other area CA, south and east coast ect.

Nebraska has always had to recruit nationally. Frost says it perfectly. No more excuses.
Agree 100%. The difference is now instead of competing with maybe 10 top schools, now we are competing with 20. Other college have caught up and surpassed Nebraska in what they can offer. We don't stand out as much any more. Now we are just another name in a crowded pack. Don't get me wrong, not saying it can't be done. Frost has is much tougher than TO did.

Right. But the more we win, the bigger stage, and the more we beat those elite teams now, those elite recruits will then flock to Lincoln again. Win and they will come.

Actually, I think the recruit discrepancy is much higher than 5 or 6. This seems to be a down year in Ohio for recruits. I think most years they have 15-20 4 star or higher. They are probably typically fighting for the 5-7th best state for recruits. Texas, Florida, California and Georgia are usually the solid top 4.

Actually, the 82 defense was pretty good, but for one game at Penn State. Had Nebraska won that game, they would have won the title.

On a serious note: not until our head coach becomes a pillar (someone like Urban, Dabo, Jimbo, Kirby, etc). Once he has his name lamented at the top echelon of competitive teams; making the top 10 will be easy because the best players will want to play for him. They'll also take this as a serious spot, two fold: They'll know that Frost is giving them one hell of a chance to succeed in the pros and, secondly, that if they don't compete hard another 4* on the bench is hungry for their spot.

Our team has been a "has been" basically since Osborne left. Give Frost a few more years. Let him build something and let us see if he can become one of the greats in this game. That distinction, of being one of the better coaches in the game will get results - but you need to build a winner and you need to restore this brand

Reactions: SkerInCo
It takes a dynamic head coach.

One that can fill in seamlessly when one of the assistants leaves, or better yet is able to keep the good assistants. One that recruits extremely well, and one that develops or is able to gravitate coaches that can develop players to the program.

That's all. If you have that you are going to win and winning cures all problems for all programs.

Nebraska having a fantastic legacy will get back there swiftly if they can get a dynamic HC.

So if it is all about location, why aren’t Michigan St, Pitt, Illinois, Indiana, West Virginia, Virginia, Purdue, Rutgers, Kentucky, Maryland always in the top 20. They are all within a state or 2 of all this talent?

Why can Oregon and Washington field top 25 teams when Seattle is only 300 miles closer to Los Angeles than Lincoln is. Families aren’t packing up the car on Friday evening to leave Compton and drive up to Seattle. Same with Eugene, LA to Eugene is the same distance, 900 miles, as Houston to Lincoln. No one is driving that 8 times a year to watch all of the home games.

If you have a style of play that attracts athletic players, have a coach(es) who the players can relate to, and win games, you can get the necessary players to compete for titles.

The location argument is tired. As I have said before, you don’t need 10 players from each of the states in recruiting hot beds, you just need 1 from each state. You have to Win a head to head battle for just 1 player.

It takes a dynamic head coach.

One that can fill in seamlessly when one of the assistants leaves, or better yet is able to keep the good assistants. One that recruits extremely well, and one that develops or is able to gravitate coaches that can develop players to the program.

That's all. If you have that you are going to win and winning cures all problems for all programs.

Nebraska having a fantastic legacy will get back there swiftly if they can get a dynamic HC.

are you suggesting we don't have a dynamic HC today?

If Coach Frost can't win here, nobody can.

are you suggesting we don't have a dynamic HC today?

If Coach Frost can't win here, nobody can.

Yes well I'm sure before Devaney waltzed into Lincoln man thought Nebraska football would always be an after thought considering the 30 years previous to him.

And no one KNOWS how Frost will end up. I hope he is disgustingly successful.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT