ADVERTISEMENT

How does Maryland have a five star and 4 four star guys?

Tulsa Tom

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Aug 28, 2003
It seems like something funky is going on there...something more than the nasty helmets and uniforms they wear.

Reactions: huskerssalts
population doesn't hurt I'm sure but isnt this team known as a basketball school to start with? Yes the Tarheels are the perfect example of a basketball school turning in talent on the football side too. But Maryland isn't the Tarheels.

Location, location, location. Four of them are from Maryland and the other from DC. Still makes you wonder why they would choose to go there.

Facts aren't welcomed here.

Is that much different than Harbaugh hiring the mother of a transfer, or was that a myth?
he is trying to do what harbaugh is doing. harbugh hired the mother of a graduate transfer from stanford but he hired her because of her connections in florida. she was part of some big summer camps in florida. her son was not a big time player. he never started a game on defense or special teams. he only played a few plays all season.the big hire harbaugh had was when he hired chris partridge jabril peppers former coach. know he didnt help with peppers because peppers was already at michigan for a year before harbaugh was hired. he was a big name in high school football in new jersey. this year michigan has verbals from the number 3,5,6,9 in nj.all 4 star recruits. michigan is also expecting to get the number 1 player in nj and the country rashan gary. the number 7 player is also now talking about michigan. durkin tried to take him with him. harbaugh is expected to announce a coaching hire from the head coach one of the best highshool teams in florida. so i am sure durkin is doing the same hiring a coach he thinks get help bring in recruits from wahington dc. he didnt hire the coach for this one recruit.

Last edited:
he is trying to do what harbaugh is doing. harbugh hired the mother of a graduate transfer from stanford but he hired her because of her connections in florida. she was part of some big summer camps in florida. her son was not a big time player. he never started a game on defense or special teams. he only played a few plays all season.the big hire harbaugh had was when he hired chris partridge jabril peppers former coach. know he didnt help with peppers because peppers was already at michigan for a year before harbaugh was hired. he was a big name in high school football in new jersey. this year michigan has verbals from the number 3,5,6,9 in nj.all 4 star recruits. michigan is also expecting to get the number 1 player in nj and the country rashan gary. the number 7 player is also now talking about michigan. durkin tried to take him with him. harbaugh is expected to announce a coaching hire from the head coach one of the best highshool teams in florida. so i am sure durkin is doing the same hiring a coach he thinks get help bring in recruits from wahington dc. he didnt hire the coach for this one recruit.
Good information. That does seem fairly funky to hire high school coaches because of connections but it appears to be working for Harbaugh. Maryland, however, has filled it's class out with a bunch of two stars. It seems weird that a five star would want to play with mostly two star players. This class may...may...make Maryland middle of the road in the Big Ten.

Good information. That does seem fairly funky to hire high school coaches because of connections but it appears to be working for Harbaugh. Maryland, however, has filled it's class out with a bunch of two stars. It seems weird that a five star would want to play with mostly two star players. This class may...may...make Maryland middle of the road in the Big Ten.
yep middle of the road at best

WTF? This is just strange. Hiring people who actually help out the program? Whose ever herd of that? I'll stick with our over-paid and lazy special teams coach that can only recruit Long snapers and punters, thank you. Hiring people to help out the program has to be illegal.

WTF? This is just strange. Hiring people who actually help out the program? Whose ever herd of that? I'll stick with our over-paid and lazy special teams coach that can only recruit Long snapers and punters, thank you. Hiring people to help out the program has to be illegal.
Good to hear from you again spinner. Cool

That's funny stuff!! Hate to say it, but it's called parity and we are feeling as much if not more than any program. Kids don't care about 20 years ago and can stay fairly close to home and get all the coaching and facilities they want. The major programs kids will travel to.

he is trying to do what harbaugh is doing. harbugh hired the mother of a graduate transfer from stanford but he hired her because of her connections in florida. she was part of some big summer camps in florida. her son was not a big time player.

Not sure I understand this. Lyons is a former Rivals Top 150 guy, played as a true freshmen then was hurt, I believe he ended up redshirting. Played as a sophomore, junior, senior. As a junior, he was top 5 on the team in tackles. 16 or so games started for Stanford. Matter of fact, heading in to his (academic) senior season, he was projected to be a 3rd team all PAC player and made the preseason Lott award watch list.

I understand he may not have turned out at Michigan, but Lyons was a pretty hot name/prospect this past off-season with transfer talk.

Giving jobs to high school coaches in order to land a player? That must be a relatively new thing.

Signed,

Jack Pierce

Giving jobs to high school coaches in order to land a player? That must be a relatively new thing.

Signed,

Jack Pierce

My favorite example of this has to be when Houston Nutt did it to land 5 Star QB Mitch Mustain. The HS coach he gave a job too, Gus Malzahn. When Nutt hired Gus, he told him, your not a real coach and basically to shut his mouth so all of the real coaches on the staff could coach. Well 10 years later Gus is a HC at Auburn and Nutt has been looking for a job since 2011. talk about ironic.

Reactions: timnsun
Nutt totally screwed that thing up. Can you imagine what Malzahn could have done at Arky if he had Mustain letting it rip? That would have been a nearly impossible attack to stop.

My favorite example of this has to be when Houston Nutt did it to land 5 Star QB Mitch Mustain. The HS coach he gave a job too, Gus Malzahn. When Nutt hired Gus, he told him, your not a real coach and basically to shut his mouth so all of the real coaches on the staff could coach. Well 10 years later Gus is a HC at Auburn and Nutt has been looking for a job since 2011. talk about ironic.
Gus was a legendary HS head coach. Not exactly a shock that he's done fairly well for himself in the college ranks.

ADVERTISEMENT