ADVERTISEMENT

How are our former qbs(transfers) doing...

Wow... some pretty harsh words for some of these guys! Probably one of the toughest transitions these kids will ever make, going from an all star big man on campus to just another guy and realizing you're not all you were cracked up to be. I'm not defending the lack of effort or willingness to work, but the process usually works... they move on and either give the sport up, or find a level they can get some playing time at.

I'm compelled to ask... why is he a pos?
giphy.gif

Reactions: Swiv3D
This. Compare Pelini's efforts to Frost. Don't know what the rules for 5th year transfer were back a few years ago, but Noa and Darrion were pretty big gets, basically 10% of the starting lineup. Pelini only hit on a little over a third of his first big (28) class and had some well ranked classes that were littered with busts.
And yet his tenure included consistent 9 win seasons. He always had RBs that needed to be accounted for, was lucky to have TMart and Tommy (the rest his QB recruiting was hot garbage), and decent Olines.
Get o
Your full of gifts today

Just further illustrates Pelini’s shortcomings as a recruiter. His teams were alway short at a couple of positions, never at 85 scholarships and he took reaches in an effort to get near 85. (Not that Turner was a reach).

This is accurate. That said one of those reaches was a DB prospect he liked at RB and took even though he already had 2 highly ranked RB recruits in that class. Ameer turned out ok.

To me Pelini was a guy who sucked at long term planning and struggled to evaluate developing talent when guys were juniors and early seniors in highschool but was excellent in evaluating late year seniors and JUCO's who were further along in their development.

I may be wrong and I did no research here but it always felt like for the most part the guys he got to sign in December ended up being way better players here than the guys he got to sign in the spring.

This. Compare Pelini's efforts to Frost. Don't know what the rules for 5th year transfer were back a few years ago, but Noa and Darrion were pretty big gets, basically 10% of the starting lineup. Pelini only hit on a little over a third of his first big (28) class and had some well ranked classes that were littered with busts.
And yet his tenure included consistent 9 win seasons. He always had RBs that needed to be accounted for, was lucky to have TMart and Tommy (the rest his QB recruiting was hot garbage), and decent Olines.

Yes, true enough sir! When healthy, TMart was an incredible weapon. That guy's acceleration was bloody unreal.....Tommy almost as deadly too. Please forgive me for mentioning that Bo also had three years with 10 wins. Of course, Bo wasn't a TO or Devaney......but wasn't a Clownahan or Smiling Mike either.

Yes, true enough sir! When healthy, TMart was an incredible weapon. That guy's acceleration was bloody unreal.....Tommy almost as deadly too. Please forgive me for mentioning that Bo also had three years with 10 wins. Of course, Bo wasn't a TO or Devaney......but wasn't a Clownahan or Smiling Mike either.

which win in the Bo era do you boast about most? I mean, there were so many, there has to be 1 that stands out?

was it beating ohio when their qb was on 1 leg? or was it............... sorry, can't remember another notable one

which win in the Bo era do you boast about most? I mean, there were so many, there has to be 1 that stands out?

was it beating ohio when their qb was on 1 leg? or was it............... sorry, can't remember another notable one

Well, I'll take 9 or 10 wins over 5 or 6 wins any day of the week. But you're a happy camper with 5 or 6 wins? Whatever works for you compadre'!

Well, I'll take 9 or 10 wins over 5 or 6 wins any day of the week. But you're a happy camper with 5 or 6 wins? Whatever works for you compadre'!

Proof that under Pelini is when the expectations were lowered for some. Getting to 9 or 10 wins was never good enough. Now it is. At least for some.

I know I know baby steps, you have to walk before you run blah blah blah. Unless there is a disability, no one is satisfied with baby steps.

Proof that under Pelini is when the expectations were lowered for some. Getting to 9 or 10 wins was never good enough. Now it is. At least for some.

I know I know baby steps, you have to walk before you run blah blah blah. Unless there is a disability, no one is satisfied with baby steps.

seriously. going to the holiday bowl every year at 9-4 is the exact same thing as winning zero games in my opinion.

EDIT: unless, of course, you're iowa, in which case it means a shiny new banner to hang in the practice barn.

Then why mention it in the first place? You had to know someone would ask. If you aren't willing to back it up, then don't put it out there.

It's a message board. I can make all of the blanket statements I want. A lot of it more has to do with the other parties it involves. I could care less about Cody.

Bo struggled at recruiting, but he really struggled getting difference makers and creating any depth at QB. Yes, he get's credit for TMart and Armstrong, but of the 12 QBs he signed, only 3 finished their eligibility as a QB at NU and played meaningful minutes (TMart, Armstrong, and Lee). The rest transferred, changed positions, quit because of injuries or never had an impact. Even with TMart and Armstrong playing at at a high level, we were always one injury away from a serious drop off in talent. In 2013 when TMart got hurt, we had to turn to RK III, and in 2015 when Armstrong got hurt it was Ryker Fyfe. Both were walk-ons. 2015 was under Riley, but he was dealing with Bo's QB situation.

Bo struggled at recruiting, but he really struggled getting difference makers and creating any depth at QB. Yes, he get's credit for TMart and Armstrong, but of the 12 QBs he signed, only 3 finished their eligibility as a QB at NU and played meaningful minutes (TMart, Armstrong, and Lee). The rest transferred, changed positions, quit because of injuries or never had an impact. Even with TMart and Armstrong playing at at a high level, we were always one injury away from a serious drop off in talent. In 2013 when TMart got hurt, we had to turn to RK III, and in 2015 when Armstrong got hurt it was Ryker Fyfe. Both were walk-ons. 2015 was under Riley, but he was dealing with Bo's QB situation.

Yeah, that's true enough. When either of those two were down......we were in deep doo-doo.

Pelini was the coach for 7 years, 4 seasons with Martinez, 2 (fr and soph) with Armstrong. With all due respect, it is difficult for many more to get “meaningful minutes” when you start RS freshmen.

If Vedral doesn’t decide to leave UCF, there isn’t really much depth here now. I’m glad McCaffrey decided to come to Nebraska and Smothers is committed but in the current landscape it isn’t all that far fetched to see one of those two dudes not finish their careers at Nebraska. Building depth while starting a freshman QB is still difficult.

Pelini was the coach for 7 years, 4 seasons with Martinez, 2 (fr and soph) with Armstrong. With all due respect, it is difficult for many more to get “meaningful minutes” when you start RS freshmen.

If Vedral doesn’t decide to leave UCF, there isn’t really much depth here now. I’m glad McCaffrey decided to come to Nebraska and Smothers is committed but in the current landscape it isn’t all that far fetched to see one of those two dudes not finish their careers at Nebraska. Building depth while starting a freshman QB is still difficult.

Yes, that's a tough call....a very tough call. But what can a HC do with freshmen qbs like TMart & AMart? I just don't know.....

I don't disagree, but I was driving at the issue that for the program to regain and hold national relevance we have to get past the point where the best plan B option at quarterback is a walk-on. Coaches today undoubtedly have a challenge in recruiting and keeping young talent happy, especially when they are on the bench. Can Frost keep McCaffrey and Smothers happy behind Martinez if both are as advertised - good question. But hopefully he keeps at least one of them and we aren't leaning on Matt Masker as the starting QB in a couple of years - and I say that figuratively as I've never seem Masker play.

Yes, that's a tough call....a very tough call. But what can a HC do with freshmen qbs like TMart & AMart? I just don't know.....

It’s a tough spot. You have to play the best players even when they are freshman. I think QB is a little different because there is only 1 and he doesn’t come out in a rotation like other positions.

It’s a double edged sword. Do you recruit lesser QBs because you think they will stick around? Or do you continue to recruit top QBs knowing that you are going to lose 1 or 2 every 4 years? I would deal with the chance that they will transfer and get the best I can each year. But some coaches think differently.

Reactions: bshirt73

There were some good wins. Miami, 3 missouri wins that I can think of, at oklahoma state, georgia, clemson, and arizona bowl wins, oklahoma, wisconsin, michigan.

Overall, it wasnt good enough. But I'm not going to shit all over those players that did some good things.

Reactions: Husker.Wed.
It’s a tough spot. You have to play the best players even when they are freshman. I think QB is a little different because there is only 1 and he doesn’t come out in a rotation like other positions.

It’s a double edged sword. Do you recruit lesser QBs because you think they will stick around? Or do you continue to recruit top QBs knowing that you are going to lose 1 or 2 every 4 years? I would deal with the chance that they will transfer and get the best I can each year. But some coaches think differently.

A couple of very good posts Tuco......well stated! I never previously thought of that problem and I still can't figure out the better choice. I suppose it largely depends on how likely a superbly talented freshman qb will stay healthy? Luck is a huge variable but if the qb is also hell on wheels like TMart & AMart.....the odds for injury would be somewhat higher? If so, would it be worth the risk?

Haha.....I don't know. Damn good points Tuco, thank you sir!

Given that QB is the straw that stirs the drink on offense, you recruit the best QBs that you can for the offense you run. And hopefully things work out that you have a really good one that starts and a really good one that is a couple of years younger in reserve, plus another sufficient one who is a "team guy" and is a reserve to the reserve (see Vedral, Noah for an example that is a cut above sufficient). But you certainly don't do anything other than swing for the fences every recruiting cycle.

Callahan did come within a play of winning the Big 12 championship game. You do remember that? He wasn't totally incompetent. He did recruit Suh, Crick, Prince etc. He didn't embrace NU's tradition and his defensive staff failed him, but Callahan could coach. He was not a good fit at NU. You put him in a place like USC and I think he would win a ton of games if he hired the right defensive staff which without SP's meddling I think he would. I get that you hate the guy, but not everything that happened was his fault. I will note that Tom actually liked alot of what Callahan did offensively. Tom's roots were in the WCO. He didn't like how they practiced and how he dealt with former players but Tom respected immensely Callahan's offensive mind and recruiting organization.

I don't disagree, but I was driving at the issue that for the program to regain and hold national relevance we have to get past the point where the best plan B option at quarterback is a walk-on. Coaches today undoubtedly have a challenge in recruiting and keeping young talent happy, especially when they are on the bench. Can Frost keep McCaffrey and Smothers happy behind Martinez if both are as advertised - good question. But hopefully he keeps at least one of them and we aren't leaning on Matt Masker as the starting QB in a couple of years - and I say that figuratively as I've never seem Masker play.
I think Frost's and MV's history of developing QBs helps them. None of the guys they've recruited were billed as sure fire NFL prospects coming out of high school which IMO helps as well. MaCaffrey stated early on that he knew he was going to need to redshirt and work on his game for a while. IF AM ends up getting drafted it will give them another selling point that they can get them to the NFL. I also think to the right kind of kid, they can sell "hey you don't gave to get your brains beat out for 3 years to get drafted. Let us develop you for a couple of years then you can start for a year or two and make millions.". You recruit the best you can get. Treat them right then let the chips fall where they may.

Callahan did come within a play of winning the Big 12 championship game. You do remember that? He wasn't totally incompetent. He did recruit Suh, Crick, Prince etc. He didn't embrace NU's tradition and his defensive staff failed him, but Callahan could coach. He was not a good fit at NU. You put him in a place like USC and I think he would win a ton of games if he hired the right defensive staff which without SP's meddling I think he would. I get that you hate the guy, but not everything that happened was his fault. I will note that Tom actually liked alot of what Callahan did offensively. Tom's roots were in the WCO. He didn't like how they practiced and how he dealt with former players but Tom respected immensely Callahan's offensive mind and recruiting organization.
Within a play of winning the big 12 championship game??? We lost by 14 and we were behind by 14 the entire 4th quarter.

Oh, we'll just have to agree to disagree. No biggie at all. I like your posts (ha.....well, usually :)) and I'm glad you're here! Just a couple of days to go!!

Geez my memory's getting bad. I thought Taylor threw an interception that ended a comeback and left us a TD short...:(:oops:
Your memory is better than you think..... that is how we lost to Oklahoma in 2005 at home.

Adrian Peterson scored a TD on his first carry and they got ahead big early. We came back... but Taylor threw a pick at the end and we lost by 7.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT