ADVERTISEMENT

How about a summertime game....

spartanhusker

College Football Hall of Fame
May 29, 2001
...of Nebraska High School geography...like "Whatever happened to Campbell High School? Or Holy Name High School? And what schools became consolidated Schools?

Honestly, I'm just kind of interested ...so help a brother out with ANY ...like Centennial....blah blah...

Meridian High School, two miles west of Daykin, is located on some magical line of longitude and also is named after a small town 7 miles south of there that was completely destroyed by a tornado in the 20's if memory serves. One building still stands and my Boy Scout troop mowed the cemetery 3 times a summer in the 1970's and 80's.

The high schools that consolidated in 1975 and moved into the new school were: Alexandria HS, Daykin HS, Tobias HS, and also gets a few students from now defunct elementaries in Western and Ohiowa that each had high schools in their own right before becoming K-8 districts. One rural church school elementary also sends students to Meridian, Zion Lutheran.

The school has almost always been class D, except for the first two years after its inception when it was C. Hebron, Fairbury, TriCounty, Geneva, ExeterMilligan and BruningDavenport school districts surround Meridian.

I once thought Chester Hubbell must be really good at sports.

I mean, one guy competing against entire teams!

Reactions: HuskerBlueDevil
Don't forget about Byron! Chester Hubbel was adopted as a teenager and changed his name to CHB!

6 man football was invented there if memory serves.....

Not sure with whom they merged / consolidated, but Paul VI, Cathedral, and Holy Name used to be separate schools. Are Gross and Ryan still independent?

Don't forget about Byron! Chester Hubbel was adopted as a teenager and changed his name to CHB!

Yes I knew that, but this was all the way back in the days when Mark Ahmann reading the scores on Channel 10 was like the Voice of God.

There are a whole gang of towns along 36 and 8 in that corner of the world that not a lot of people have heard of, many of which haven't had a high school for the last fifty years: Ruskin, Endicott, Reynolds, Gladstone, Gilead

I know Trenton and Culbertson no longer have high schools. They consolidated to form Hitchcock County.

Ruskin had a school as recent as 1977, as I coached against them in the world's tiniest gym....

...of Nebraska High School geography...like "Whatever happened to Campbell High School? Or Holy Name High School? And what schools became consolidated Schools?

Honestly, I'm just kind of interested ...so help a brother out with ANY ...like Centennial....blah blah...
Holy Name High School was shut down in 1988 when I was in 2nd grade. It has been K-8 since then

Not sure with whom they merged / consolidated, but Paul VI, Cathedral, and Holy Name used to be separate schools. Are Gross and Ryan still independent?

Gross is still around but Ryan closed back in the 80s I think.

Also had Rummel and Notre Dame Academy merge in the 70s to form Roncalli in Omaha.

Campbell High School closed its doors in the late 80's early 90's. Students went to Red Cloud, Franklin, Minden, And Roseland/Bladen aka Silver Lake.

Nope but from that general area back in the day....Well still am in that general area I guess South central Nebraska area.

Taught there from 75-77...loved the area, but my wife is a Kansas girl so we were not long for the place....coached a GREAT athlete named Steve Lemmerman though...

I drank a lot of beer there back in the day late 70"s. It always took a lot to do there Road Rally lol.

ADVERTISEMENT