ADVERTISEMENT

Hot Air Balloon in Omaha. Story?

VandallHuskerJulie

First Team All-Big Ten
Oct 13, 2001
Anyone know why a hot air balloon just landed over in a field by Lakeside? At least it didn't land on West Center Road.

Hindenburg_disaster.jpg

I live pretty close to there and there are hot air balloons out about every week in s/w omaha. I hear they usually land in a field near scary acres

Anyone know why a hot air balloon just landed over in a field by Lakeside? At least it didn't land on West Center Road.

Hot Air balloons are not like planes in the sense that they cannot pick an airfield to land at... generally speaking they can be directed but are guided mostly by the winds that carry them. Hot Air Balloon pilots have aerial maps with approved landing spots listed on them. Not everyone is friendly to pilots landing in their fields so they look for the best approved landing area they can as they come down....

I am not an expert on hot air balloons, but I have been working two different occasions where one decided to just land in the middle of a random neighborhood. I think when things aren't working properly up there, the safest thing to do is just get it on the ground and get picked up by a truck. Probably what happened there.

I am not an expert on hot air balloons, but I have been working two different occasions where one decided to just land in the middle of a random neighborhood. I think when things aren't working properly up there, the safest thing to do is just get it on the ground and get picked up by a truck. Probably what happened there.
Isn't that trespassing in some degree? Never thought of it before

ADVERTISEMENT