ADVERTISEMENT

Hope your team is ready

711employee

Jul 10, 2016
szkktz.jpg

I was told this young PJ Fleck was going to bring a championship to this Gopher team. Maybe next year.

I've watched 2 of Minnesota's game's wire to wire as well as parts of others and my impression is that the Gophers two main strengths are (1) running the ball (OL + Smith-Brooks two headed monster, another RB McCrary looks pretty good too); and (2) run defense. In other words, they are pretty salty in the trenches - this the fruit of the seeds that Jerry Kill began planting from 2010-2015 when he set out to make the Gophers a ground dominant B10 team. The Gopher secondary is inconsistent, good athletes but I saw a lot of penalties. LBs are pretty damn stout -another reason their run defense is good.

Their weakness is the passing attack. Inexperienced QBs (they have platooned at times) and WRs. Sidenote: the Gophers have a WR who is 6ft10 that they use in the red zone. If Croft starts at QB (likely), the Huskers have to be ready for a scrambler with a few designed runs also.

So, Minnesota will almost certainly try to establish the run; you might see 45-50 rush attempts if they have some early success. Nebraska will rely on Lee's arm, probably out of necessity, you might see 35-40 pass attempts. That's how I see it shaping up. Probably a nail biter.

I see that Fleck has an "Oar", a "Boat" and a "Compass", but most importantly what kind of "Fishing Pole" does he have to catch the big lunkers with? Bass? Pike? Walleye? Muskie? What we fishing for?

ADVERTISEMENT