ADVERTISEMENT

Hope it’s not relevant, but the NIT will have an interesting twist this year

Husker4real

Senior
Nov 25, 2017
Deeper 3 point line; Wider lane; 4 quarters; and a 20 second shot clock after offensive rebounds.

I believe they had the short shot clock in last years NIT as well for the first time.

I know this is just a trial, but why the trend toward quarters? Does college basketball need more breaks in the action, and two more opportunities for teams to sit on the ball, run the clock down to :03, and then take a bad shot?

I like 20:00 halves. In fact, I wish high school games followed that format. Players don't need a break after 8:00.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Are they going to reduce the number of other media timeouts? There are already several breaks due to the media. would these 2 breaks replace those?

How has it worked in women's basketball this year? They switched to 4 quarters.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
I don't care about 1/2's or 1/4's. I would like to see a shorter shot clock.

GBR

I know this is just a trial, but why the trend toward quarters? Does college basketball need more breaks in the action, and two more opportunities for teams to sit on the ball, run the clock down to :03, and then take a bad shot?

I like 20:00 halves. In fact, I wish high school games followed that format. Players don't need a break after 8:00.
My guess is that shorting the shot clock will make the game go quicker and in return have the kids running more. So the extra break should help with some rest.

I want a shorter shot clock in college. I hate seeing games in the 50's. Super boring to watch teams hold the dam ball for 30 second and shoot. Virginia basketball is boring as hell to watch

Men's college basketball is the only basketball in the world that still plays halves, at least that's my understanding. Not that it's right or wrong, but the NCAA men's committee wants to gather more data points before making a decision. Last year was the start, and they'll continue this year.

Look at it this way, the NBA uses the G-League to test new rules and playing formats. The NCAA Is trying to do this with the NIT.

The Women's game has been on quarters for at least 2 seasons, perhaps longer.

My two cents on quarters: I prefer 4 quarters with the 5th foul of the quarter being automatic two shot penalty. No more 1 and 1.

Someone brought up the media timeouts, and right now, I believe the women go to a media timeout at the 5 min mark. That gives them 3 media length timeouts in the 3rd and 4th quarters. And I think this is undesirable to the folks making the decisions on the Men's committees because, well, money. Fewer media timeouts = less money. I think it is a work in progress and the men's game will eventually go to quarters.

My guess is that shorting the shot clock will make the game go quicker and in return have the kids running more. So the extra break should help with some rest.

I want a shorter shot clock in college. I hate seeing games in the 50's. Super boring to watch teams hold the dam ball for 30 second and shoot. Virginia basketball is boring as hell to watch
With respect to the shot clock, the focus has mainly been in increasing scoring. They have monitored # of possessions and that number is directly related to scoring. That was the reason for the bump down from 35 to 30 and also for the reset to 20/or no reset if above 20 after fouls in the front court. More possessions.

Men's college basketball is the only basketball in the world that still plays halves, at least that's my understanding. Not that it's right or wrong, but the NCAA men's committee wants to gather more data points before making a decision. Last year was the start, and they'll continue this year.

Look at it this way, the NBA uses the G-League to test new rules and playing formats. The NCAA Is trying to do this with the NIT.

The Women's game has been on quarters for at least 2 seasons, perhaps longer.

My two cents on quarters: I prefer 4 quarters with the 5th foul of the quarter being automatic two shot penalty. No more 1 and 1.

Someone brought up the media timeouts, and right now, I believe the women go to a media timeout at the 5 min mark. That gives them 3 media length timeouts in the 3rd and 4th quarters. And I think this is undesirable to the folks making the decisions on the Men's committees because, well, money. Fewer media timeouts = less money. I think it is a work in progress and the men's game will eventually go to quarters.
Oh I get that the trend is toward quarters - I just don't like the trend. And that's mainly because I find men's college basketball to be one of the most micro-managed, over-coached sports around. I don't want coaches to have two more opportunities to bring the game to a screeching halt:

"Okay guys, let's run that play where Larry stands at the top of the key and dribbles in place for 20 seconds. Then he'll either throw up a really bad, contested shot, or toss it to one of you for a desperation heave. Ready.... break!"

Oh I get that the trend is toward quarters - I just don't like the trend. And that's mainly because I find men's college basketball to be one of the most micro-managed, over-coached sports around. I don't want coaches to have two more opportunities to bring the game to a screeching halt:

"Okay guys, let's run that play where Larry stands at the top of the key and dribbles in place for 20 seconds. Then he'll either throw up a really bad, contested shot, or toss it to one of you for a desperation heave. Ready.... break!"
Makes sense.

I wish coaches would coach their teams in practice and then let their kids play on game day. I don't mean that they shouldn't coach at all, but I've seen some where it's almost like they're trying to control every move. Like, what's the point of practice if you come out on the court and the kids either aren't allowed to or don't know what to do without you telling them exactly where to go and how to do it? And what's the fun in it for the players, at that point?

I agree 100% on it being such a micro-managed sport. Would you say it's sort of like the difference between the NFL and CFB with the quarterbacks, maybe?

Makes sense.

I wish coaches would coach their teams in practice and then let their kids play on game day. I don't mean that they shouldn't coach at all, but I've seen some where it's almost like they're trying to control every move. Like, what's the point of practice if you come out on the court and the kids either aren't allowed to or don't know what to do without you telling them exactly where to go and how to do it? And what's the fun in it for the players, at that point?

I agree 100% on it being such a micro-managed sport. Would you say it's sort of like the difference between the NFL and CFB with the quarterbacks, maybe?
I often find Division II ball to be more enjoyable to watch, mainly for that reason. (And probably also because the top players tend to stick around longer.) And the Division I game is at its absolute worst when teams are obsessed over how much time is on the clock - which is why I want them to stick with halves.

I think John Wooden was once asked why he was never seen screaming out instructions at the end of a game, and he said something like - "Because if my players don't know what to do by then, I haven't done my job." He could coach a little bit.

Reactions: ThrowBones92
With respect to the shot clock, the focus has mainly been in increasing scoring. They have monitored # of possessions and that number is directly related to scoring. That was the reason for the bump down from 35 to 30 and also for the reset to 20/or no reset if above 20 after fouls in the front court. More possessions.
Yep. I agree. This is why NBA games are so High scoring now a days. Sucks for defensive teams but oh well. The game is about scoring IMO, not defense. Too much of the game favors defense anyways. I have a theory that when Naismith invited basketball he didn’t envision everyone being so much bigger. The lanes in basketball aren’t what they were back in the day. Everyone is so big that there’s not enough space. At least with a shorter shot clock, it’s harder for defenses to set up. That’s just my opinion anyways. I’m sure some like what’s referred to as “the Creighton game”

And it’s always funny how much scoring goes up in the last 2 minutes of a game cause teams are actually trying to score and defenses can’t get set up. Sure some of that is a result of fouls but anyone who bets the over under knows that scoring in the last 2 minutes of a basketball game majorly increases. Sadly I know it too well. Nothing worse than watching your under bet that seemed like a lock slip away cause both teams score a ton in the last 2 minutes. True story, this happen to me last week with UCLA vs Utah. I had a 20-something point lead on the under with 2 minutes left, and next thing I know, it was gone. And it’s not like there were any fouls either. That one stung. Not as bad as taking UNC money line last night in live betting. Wow that’s killed me

Last edited:

X1000

Im okay with the shot clock where it is.
My worry ncaa ball will trend more toward the "get the ball to 1 guy and drive toward the defense and take a horrible layup shot trying to draw a foul" that its already going toward.
I want offensive sets and ball movement.
Not NBA.

They basically do quarters right now with the way media time outs are placed. Might as well just call them quarters and be in line with the way other levels of basketball are played

I often find Division II ball to be more enjoyable to watch, mainly for that reason. (And probably also because the top players tend to stick around longer.) And the Division I game is at its absolute worst when teams are obsessed over how much time is on the clock - which is why I want them to stick with halves.

I think John Wooden was once asked why he was never seen screaming out instructions at the end of a game, and he said something like - "Because if my players don't know what to do by then, I haven't done my job." He could coach a little bit.
The one rule I don't see on this list (maybe I missed it) that I would like to see implemented is the "advance" rule in the last minute of play. I know purists will hate it. I am in favor of basketball with less dribbling the length of the court and more shooting and scoring, so I would be in favor of it. Some people prefer it the way it is, but I think the pro game has got that figured out. CBB is about watching players make plays, and there would be more plays made with this rule in place.

The one rule I don't see on this list (maybe I missed it) that I would like to see implemented is the "advance" rule in the last minute of play. I know purists will hate it. I am in favor of basketball with less dribbling the length of the court and more shooting and scoring, so I would be in favor of it. Some people prefer it the way it is, but I think the pro game has got that figured out. CBB is about watching players make plays, and there would be more plays made with this rule in place.
Eh, that would pretty much force every coach to use every available time out - because if he doesn't, he's missing out on a free pass to the front court. So I would rather leave it the way it is. While I'm not dying to see one guy dribble the length of the court, there are also well-designed full-court plays - like the one Villanova used to win the title game a couple of years ago, or the famous Valparaiso play.

Eh, that would pretty much force every coach to use every available time out - because if he doesn't, he's missing out on a free pass to the front court. So I would rather leave it the way it is. While I'm not dying to see one guy dribble the length of the court, there are also well-designed full-court plays - like the one Villanova used to win the title game a couple of years ago, or the famous Valparaiso play.

Good point on the timeouts. Although, with the media timeout format right now, many coaches save most of their timeouts for the final minutes of the game already.

And I love those exciting full court plays, because they're almost miracles when everything goes right, which is really fun to experience. I would just like to see the ends of games come down to the best shooters having shots. While there are well-designed full court plays that work out from time to time, most of the time the game is over with 2 seconds left and the length of the court to go. I'd like to see those last few seconds matter more often. I would be interested to see how much time gets used up in the back court with 30 seconds left in a game. That might be a good thing for the NCAA to look at.

If the NCAA truly was interested in doing everything they can to increase scoring, the advance rule seems like a good candidate. They've worked hard to open up freedom of movement and shortened the shot clock in a couple of ways. This seems like it could increase end of game scoring quite a bit.

I understand your point and respect it. I hope you realize that I'm not trying to argue with you. I like discussing these types of ideas with other fans of the game.

I understand your point and respect it. I hope you realize that I'm not trying to argue with you. I like discussing these types of ideas with other fans of the game.
No worries. I too like to discuss ways that college basketball can improve. And I understand the appeal of the advance rule, I just don't want to further reward coaches for using more timeouts late in the game. I tend to favor anything that will make college basketball more about players making plays and less about coaches drawing on clipboards.

No worries. I too like to discuss ways that college basketball can improve. And I understand the appeal of the advance rule, I just don't want to further reward coaches for using more timeouts late in the game. I tend to favor anything that will make college basketball more about players making plays and less about coaches drawing on clipboards.
From that standpoint, I do like seeing end of game scenarios where coaches won't call timeouts because they know their chances are better letting their players race the length of the court to try to get a shot off before the defense can organize. You have a good point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT