ADVERTISEMENT

Honestly, how do you think Neb will do?

Where do you HONESTLY see Neb ending up?

• 6-7 wins and a bowl game

Votes: 57 24.8%
  • 8-9 wins and BIG10 west champions

Votes: 123 53.5%
  • 9-10 wins and BIG10 champions

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • 10-12 wins, BIG10 Champions, and playoff team.

Votes: 15 6.5%

• Total voters
please, Einstein, tell us what "results" you were happy with under Bo.

those 9 or 10 wins every year were as empty as that cro magnon man's skull.

we won exactly nothing under Bo. if you're happy with that, take a look in the mirror instead of trolling this board.

Good post - it is important for all of us to remember that a 9-10 win season + a div championship without a conference championship is really empty - we need this to keep us grounded if Frost happens to achieve this the next few years

Good post - it is important for all of us to remember that a 9-10 win season + a div championship without a conference championship is really empty - we need this to keep us grounded if Frost happens to achieve this the next few years

exactly. 1 or 2 is a step in the right direction. 7 with no banner to hang is not the success fans, or Frost, are looking for.

real programs win titles. posers scream & yell their way to the holiday bowl.

Some places make rings for that accomplishment.

I think better times are ahead, however, you could make a case that no fan base has ever derived more sunshine from a repeat of a 4-8 season than this fan base

please, Einstein, tell us what "results" you were happy with under Bo.

those 9 or 10 wins every year were as empty as that cro magnon man's skull.

we won exactly nothing under Bo. if you're happy with that, take a look in the mirror instead of trolling this board.

Hey genius, I'll take 9 or 10 wins over 4 or 5 wins any day. If you can't figure out why.....well, good luck.

when did Bo ever finish 7-5.

Agree he would blame everyone else but he would do that after winning 9 games

Agree about him as a person ... and he wasn’t that great of a coach ... but he played in 3 conf championship games in 7 years. He technically won or tied for the division 4 of 7 years.

If Bo was a terrible coach then we should expect a better coach to do much better than win the division 40+% of the time.

And before this spirals into pro/con Bo ... he should have been fired at least a year earlier

Eichorst couldn't have fired Bo a year earlier, his wet dream hire MR might not have been available yet.

Hey genius, I'll take 9 or 10 wins over 4 or 5 wins any day. If you can't figure out why.....well, good luck.

nope .. some (many) here are in agreement that Bo was a terrible coach and his record was a joke

we'll give Frost a couple of years but then most seasons need to be better than the typical Bo Pelini years otherwise Moos might need to up date his list

be very careful where you set the bar for on field results ..

Last edited:
I think the next logical step - given the poor division we play in - is to regularly appear in the championship game. We may take our lumps initially. The top of this division needs to step up and compete with the best in the east. If it doesn’t happen soon we are going to see a reshuffling. My guess is we end up with PSU in the division.

We are in the only power 5 division that doesn’t have a team that recruits top 10-15. We should own this division ... a 5 loss team that had home losses to duke and Akron was the div champion last year

I actually liked the legends and leaders set up better then the East and West set ups. It was definitely set up more evenly, that’s for sure. Once Frost has his players going and a few recruiting classes in the books...I really feel our Huskers will start stepping it up like we should be. Huskers are more then capable bringing in top 15 or a little better recruiting classes regularly. And then you match that with Scott Frost and this staffs player development and Duvalls S&C....we will stop wetting the bed in the big games. Just my opinion of course.

The trolls are trying HARD to help that 6-7 option win out. I know most Huskers think 8-4 to 10-2, So it’s obvious who’s picking the 6-7 option...imagine that. Even with our weak schedule they think our Huskers will still play like Mike Riley is still running things. Rude awakening ahead for our guests to the East. GBR

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
nope .. some (many) here are in agreement that Bo was a terrible coach and his record was a joke

we'll give Frost a couple of years but then most seasons need to be better than the typical Bo Pelini years otherwise Moos might need to up date his list

I know we Neb fans can be a bit impatient and unrealistic. First off I think Frost is a better coach than Bo Bo so Im not overly concerned about him out performing him. If for some reason he is equal to bo, I have a feeling many will still give more time than Bo. If he is equal to Bo he might be our Kirk Ferentz 20 years down the road.

Reactions: Top_Gun_
When Bo ends the year undefeated, wins coach of the year honors, I might think better of his time here, until then, he never has, never will, and retire before SF who finally makes us forget a guy who couldnt make adjustments in the Big title game.

I know we Neb fans can be a bit impatient and unrealistic. First off I think Frost is a better coach than Bo Bo so Im not overly concerned about him out performing him. If for some reason he is equal to bo, I have a feeling many will still give more time than Bo. If he is equal to Bo he might be our Kirk Ferentz 20 years down the road.

I think caution is required when criticizing the record of other teams and coaches. Your team should be examined under the same microscrope. I bristle a bit every time someone points out how Harbaugh hasn’t beaten OSU - when OSU has been a top 10 team every game. Not many coaches would fair well in those circumstances. Frost is 0-2 thus far against top 10 teams.

I think caution is required when criticizing the record of other teams and coaches. Your team should be examined under the same microscrope. I bristle a bit every time someone points out how Harbaugh hasn’t beaten OSU - when OSU has been a top 10 team every game. Not many coaches would fair well in those circumstances. Frost is 0-2 thus far against top 10 teams.
Ummmm

Reactions: LikeNebraska

I should have been more specific and stated 0-2 ar Nebraska. Which is all I’m concerned about.
It was a great season - but lots and lots of midmajor coaches have a lot of success which doesn’t translate when at a power 5 school. I’m sure Frost will do well - but his success at UCF now that he is at Nebraska is irrelevant. His coaching record as far as I’m concerned is 4-8.

Most coaches are going to struggle if they are judged solely on performance against too 10 teams.

I should have been more specific and stated 0-2 ar Nebraska. Which is all I’m concerned about.
It was a great season - but lots and lots of midmajor coaches have a lot of success which doesn’t translate when at a power 5 school. I’m sure Frost will do well - but his success at UCF now that he is at Nebraska is irrelevant. His coaching record as far as I’m concerned is 4-8.

Most coaches are going to struggle if they are judged solely on performance against too 10 teams.
I'm more concerned about having better qbs at Nebraska,better O lines here, better D lines here, better wide outs, duck r,rbs etc etc etc.
Top ten is top ten, even the midmajor finished top ten by beating a top ten P5 team, the only team to beat the teams playing the the natty game.
He also went undefeated from an 0-12 team two years later. Now, all those midmajor coaches have never ever done that, not one.
But, if he can do it there with top 60ish recruiting classes, he can do it here,with top twenty on up classes.
Hes not a coach who gets qbs who turn into linebackers, or baseball players who flirt with football.
He's been accredited long before here, and at the P5 level as a top play caller, like others have, who then also went midmajor,but, who never went undefeated and who never done a first in the history of college football.
Who exactly was he coaching against at those midmajors? The guys youre talking about, as he whipped their butts?
Yes, he will do fine

I'm more concerned about having better qbs at Nebraska,better O lines here, better D lines here, better wide outs, duck r,rbs etc etc etc.
Top ten is top ten, even the midmajor finished top ten by beating a top ten P5 team, the only team to beat the teams playing the the natty game.
He also went undefeated from an 0-12 team two years later. Now, all those midmajor coaches have never ever done that, not one.
But, if he can do it there with top 60ish recruiting classes, he can do it here,with top twenty on up classes.
Hes not a coach who gets qbs who turn into linebackers, or baseball players who flirt with football.
He's been accredited long before here, and at the P5 level as a top play caller, like others have, who then also went midmajor,but, who never went undefeated and who never done a first in the history of college football.
Who exactly was he coaching against at those midmajors? The guys youre talking about, as he whipped their butts?
Yes, he will do fine

I agree. But at Nebraska he is 0-2 against top 10 teams just like Harbaugh is 0-4 against top 10 OSU.

Looking forward to a big season this year.

Yes, he will do fine
Prior to going 0-12 UCF had won their conference 4 out of 5 years, went 47-19 (71%) and won the Fiesta Bowl.

Yes what Frost did in 2 years is pretty freaking awesome, but UCF was hardly some dumpy program.

Prior to going 0-12 UCF had won their conference 4 out of 5 years, went 47-19 (71%) and won the Fiesta Bowl.

Yes what Frost did in 2 years is pretty freaking awesome, but UCF was hardly some dumpy program.
So, you're saying a team with obvious talent was turned around in two years from going 0-12 to 13-0, and the culture went from drastically fractured to undefeated?
Me too

I agree. But at Nebraska he is 0-2 against top 10 teams just like Harbaugh is 0-4 against top 10 OSU.

Looking forward to a big season this year.
I know he was the coach, but that record is a direct result of what Mike Riley did/ didn't do for 3 years. The damage he caused was impossible for Frost or any coach to repair in 9 months time. Im not sure the S&C has been 100% fixed yet. S&C was a huge factor in why we lost last year. So yes technically Frost was the HC, he had little to do with what happened the first half of last year. Now the second half we saw the results of Frost as HC.

I know he was the coach, but that record is a direct result of what Mike Riley did/ didn't do for 3 years. The damage he caused was impossible for Frost or any coach to repair in 9 months time. Im not sure the S&C has been 100% fixed yet. S&C was a huge factor in why we lost last year. So yes technically Frost was the HC, he had little to do with what happened the first half of last year. Now the second half we saw the results of Frost as HC.

This is my favorite argument. Mike Riley was the reason Nebraska had a bad year in 2018. But Mike Riley is also the reason Nebraska had a bad season in 2015. Bo Pelini had nothing to do with the lack of OL, LB, QB in 2015. Mike Riley should have fixed that in his first 9 months.

So I am to believe the main reason Nebraska struggled early in 2019 was because of strength and conditioning. The reason the last 6 games we were 4-2 was because the gains made during the season were so significant, even when there is very little S&C emphasis on gains, that those fall gains dwarfed the gains made during the spring and summer, when the S&C emphasis is almost completely on making gains.

What I read from your post is that in the 9 months between December and August, that Frost, nor any coach for that matter, could overcome the damage left by Riley in strength and conditioning. But the 10th and 11th month, when the strength and conditioning coach is working with the players about an hour a day, that was the difference. The team saw the light and made huge gains in strength and conditioning, such gains that Frost said the team didn't even resemble a Nebraska team and that Iowa kicked our ass and made us look small weak.

Makes sense.

I get it, Frost has no culpability in 2018. That way we don't tarnish the potential legend.

I like Frost and think he will do great things at Nebraska. But some of this stuff is just comical. It takes time to put your stamp on a team, but Frost holds some blame for the results of 2018. A Nebraska team, even with Bunch at QB should have beat Troy and should never have given up a 99 yard drive to Northwestern to force OT. That is 2 more wins and a 6-6 record and a bowl game. Riley sucked as a head coach at Nebraska, but he and his strength and conditioning program weren't the only causes for Nebraska going 4-8 last year.

No northwestern team should have had only one loss in the Big regular season.
A qb shouldnt be transferring into the season either, making a third string first year qb getting no reps on a teams first year where getting the basics was all that was coached.

30 odd players left the team,late start in recruiting,stayed with the old team to coach them etc.

All facts, no excuses, but things could have been better too.
But its year two, who cares?

So, you're saying a team with obvious talent was turned around in two years from going 0-12 to 13-0, and the culture went from drastically fractured to undefeated?
Me too
I didn't know if you thought the team had obvious talent or not, but since you do then sure.

Also helps they didn't have to play 2 P5 teams like they normally do. Georgia Tech game would've been a fun game to watch.

This is my favorite argument. Mike Riley was the reason Nebraska had a bad year in 2018. But Mike Riley is also the reason Nebraska had a bad season in 2015. Bo Pelini had nothing to do with the lack of OL, LB, QB in 2015. Mike Riley should have fixed that in his first 9 months.

So I am to believe the main reason Nebraska struggled early in 2019 was because of strength and conditioning. The reason the last 6 games we were 4-2 was because the gains made during the season were so significant, even when there is very little S&C emphasis on gains, that those fall gains dwarfed the gains made during the spring and summer, when the S&C emphasis is almost completely on making gains.

What I read from your post is that in the 9 months between December and August, that Frost, nor any coach for that matter, could overcome the damage left by Riley in strength and conditioning. But the 10th and 11th month, when the strength and conditioning coach is working with the players about an hour a day, that was the difference. The team saw the light and made huge gains in strength and conditioning, such gains that Frost said the team didn't even resemble a Nebraska team and that Iowa kicked our ass and made us look small weak.

Makes sense.

I get it, Frost has no culpability in 2018. That way we don't tarnish the potential legend.

I like Frost and think he will do great things at Nebraska. But some of this stuff is just comical. It takes time to put your stamp on a team, but Frost holds some blame for the results of 2018. A Nebraska team, even with Bunch at QB should have beat Troy and should never have given up a 99 yard drive to Northwestern to force OT. That is 2 more wins and a 6-6 record and a bowl game. Riley sucked as a head coach at Nebraska, but he and his strength and conditioning program weren't the only causes for Nebraska going 4-8 last year.

tarnish his legacy? 4-8 will only strengthen it after we regain global dominance.

Reactions: husker2612
No northwestern team should have had only one loss in the Big regular season.
A qb shouldnt be transferring into the season either, making a third string first year qb getting no reps on a teams first year where getting the basics was all that was coached.

30 odd players left the team,late start in recruiting,stayed with the old team to coach them etc.

All facts, no excuses, but things could have been better too.
But its year two, who cares?

Just to add to your "facts",

Bunch had more game experience, granted it was JUCO, than either Gebbia or Martinez. There were QBs out there during the summer that were not approached to transfer to Nebraska, Wilson and Burrow are examples. Frost wanted to ride with Martinez, others made choices that benefited them. Gebbia leaving in the fall, was not Riley's issue.

30 odd players leaving, many of whom were told they wouldn't have a role on the team.

apparently you, me and 2612 care.

tarnish his legacy? 4-8 will only strengthen it after we regain global dominance.

Global dominance? ok.

But if Frost had nothing to do with the 4-8, it will always be a sort of asterisk next to that season.

Frost’s coaching record

*2018 4-8
2019 10-4
2020 10-3
2021 10-4

*Riley’s fault

Last edited:
Just to add to your "facts",

Bunch had more game experience, granted it was JUCO, than either Gebbia or Martinez. There were QBs out there during the summer that were not approached to transfer to Nebraska, Wilson and Burrow are examples. Frost wanted to ride with Martinez, others made choices that benefited them. Gebbia leaving in the fall, was not Riley's issue.

30 odd players leaving, many of whom were told they wouldn't have a role on the team.

apparently you, me and 2612 care.
I have learned never to question SFs selection of qbs,regardless of what we think is good or not.
Havnt seen many high calibre juco qbs,and Bunch may be one of the best. But, then again, I haven't seen a juco that runs a SF offense either,so, what advantage exactly did Bunch have, when his coach has told him, no other coaches coach him.
He'd already run the Wilson loop, no reason for that. Obviously,SF knows what he wants, and having a true frosh at qb was it, right choice, bad circumstances when he got hurt.
I'm not defending anyone but SF here, not MR,one way or the other, but osu and their late semester allowed for little time for Bunch.
So, going by what happened, not sure how it could have been better?
The culture was trash, has been since Frank was fired, as it deteriorated around him at the time, so, that makes a long list as to whose fault it is.

when did Bo ever finish 7-5.

Agree he would blame everyone else but he would do that after winning 9 games

Agree about him as a person ... and he wasn’t that great of a coach ... but he played in 3 conf championship games in 7 years. He technically won or tied for the division 4 of 7 years.

If Bo was a terrible coach then we should expect a better coach to do much better than win the division 40+% of the time.

And before this spirals into pro/con Bo ... he should have been fired at least a year earlier
1. Bo was left with a number of 1st round picks
2. Bo didn't develop another first round pick after Callys recruits graduated
3. Bo was 3-23 in games against top 25 foes
4. Bo was beaten by nearly 25 ppg in road losses against top 15 foes...

Bo was all smoke and mirrors...he fed on FCS and sunbelt teams...and his teams beat bad teams. That is better than losing to bad teams but he played in a period of historically poor schedules. Callys last year the huskers played 7 top 25 offenses, and 4 top 10 teams... last year we had 5 road games against ranked teams. Bos best win was against a Okie state, who was ranked 15, and 11th ranked Michigan state who was playing their 3rd straight game against a top 10 team, with two road games, and it was an 11 am game following their hail mary win against wisky. And Bo's teams fell off sharply when he relied on his own players and not the plethora of 1st rounders and NFL starters recruited by cally. Frost on the other hand wasn't even provided with a scholarship qb, nor a single player who was draft worthy. Bo was given a top 5, top 10, and top 15 class to build with...Riley's best class lost 60% of its recruits to attrition. That being said...Frost will win 10 games this year.

I have learned never to question SFs selection of qbs,regardless of what we think is good or not.
Havnt seen many high calibre juco qbs,and Bunch may be one of the best. But, then again, I haven't seen a juco that runs a SF offense either,so, what advantage exactly did Bunch have, when his coach has told him, no other coaches coach him.
He'd already run the Wilson loop, no reason for that. Obviously,SF knows what he wants, and having a true frosh at qb was it, right choice, bad circumstances when he got hurt.
I'm not defending anyone but SF here, not MR,one way or the other, but osu and their late semester allowed for little time for Bunch.
So, going by what happened, not sure how it could have been better?
The culture was trash, has been since Frank was fired, as it deteriorated around him at the time, so, that makes a long list as to whose fault it is.

Just a couple of things, I never mentioned culture. I replied to a post that was blaming the record last year on strength and conditioning over a 3 year period being the reason Nebraska lost the first 6 games and that the resurgence late in the year was due to the S&C finally taking hold.

Secondly, I thought with the way the team was going to practice that every player was going to get significant and substantial reps. What more time did Bunch need?

I agree that the fault can be divvied out To every coach since 1997.

Just a couple of things, I never mentioned culture. I replied to a post that was blaming the record last year on strength and conditioning over a 3 year period being the reason Nebraska lost the first 6 games and that the resurgence late in the year was due to the S&C finally taking hold.

Secondly, I thought with the way the team was going to practice that every player was going to get significant and substantial reps. What more time did Bunch need?

Every coach has said, just getting the basics in year one, no fine tuning whatsoever was being done, just to get everyone on page one.
Obviously, even so, you still have the ones and the twos and the threes, and things break down accordingly, in physical ability,and in system growth.
Bunch was third string, where few guys saw the field last year, thats who he was practicing with till august 26th, and game practice had already started, so essentially,year one, basics only,practicing with guys that didnt play, he had two weeks, to acclimate to everything,then play in his first game.
When throwing,your timing is essential, timing overall is as well, Bunch being a walkon didnt help, but he looked as good as say the rifle Fife ever did, yet had a small fraction of the time for prep.

The reason we had our problems was mainly culture, not an easy fix, went through alot of guys,alot of losses before it clicked, as SF said, it'll just click,and so it did, it just took longer, which was culture, buyin etc.

There's really no need to get in a cat fight about whether 4-8 will tarnish Frost's legacy or not. It likely won't because we all expect him to move on to better seasons in short order.

But more importantly, he owns the record. Yes, he walked into a bad situation and admitted as much, but he also doesn't shirk responsibility attempt to have fans pawn off his performance on another administration.

That's sort of what we like about this cat, people. He hates losing and is accountable for it.

Frost changes traditional coaching change dynamics a bit.

When the big bosses decide its time to throw Frost out, they aren't just looking at making a coaching change, they are looking to take on ownership of flushing "Old NU" football down the toilet. Because there is no more TO/glory days coaching tree left. Frost is it. And they can't reasonably pawn it off on the next staff for killing the Nebraska Way the way we could point at Billy C for doing so. Everyone knows this is the last Nebraska Way train and the decision to get off it will not be the next NU football coach's to make. He will be the result of it.

And the historical stuff. Assuming Frost is appearing in title games with regularity and maybe even gets close to winning one, the ghost of Solich will likely return to color any decision making. Considering that most folks find it a mistake that we've taken 20 years to correct, folks throwing down the "ellipsis of doom" as pertains to vague challenges about the success bar for NU football being too low....will probably have less impact than they did in 2003. Folks won't be real froggy about throwing out winning at a 75% clip and "being relevant" for some non-Nebraska guy who potentially might win us a game or two more but it more or less less proven than the guy we have.

Last edited:
I personally don't think the fight about Frost being good enough will revolve around conference titles. It'll be national titles.

I'm fairly certain that sometime in the next 7 years, NU will be good enough to snake a B1G title, especially with Meyer out of the way. I'm less confident we can cobble together enough talented depth to win a Playoff with a bunch of cheating SEC teams.

So we might have a TO II situation on our hands.

I w
I personally don't think the fight about Frost being good enough will revolve around conference titles. It'll be national titles.

I'm fairly certain that sometime in the next 7 years, NU will be good enough to snake a B1G title, especially with Meyer out of the way. I'm less confident we can cobble together enough talented depth to win a Playoff with a bunch of cheating SEC teams.

So we might have a TO II situation on our hands.
I would doing back flips with TO II situation on our hands.

I w

I would doing back flips with TO II situation on our hands.

I guess the more modern version would be Bob Stoops. Got the 1 natty, won a bunch of other games, but never really cobbled together a Bama-esque title winning dynasty.

I feel like folks put too much stock in reps. The vast majority of the walk-on caliber players aren't that good of football players. When you process a bunch of them you will eventually find/make the gems, but the statistics/likelihood of any given prospect blooming are low even at a school like NU that makes them a priority.

Running the stations is in effect, us panning for talent.

Statistically speaking, reps help good football players gain confidence and get better. Reps don't generally turn a bunch of bad football players into good ones. (This is NU remember, good has a decent size hump to get over, players will get better with reps, but they have to be good enough to cross that bar to eventually be worth playing). Most walk-on caliber players will walk out of here with a degree and maybe a single digit number of "thank you" snaps on Senior day and that's it.

I also feel like the fan base has sort of an "NFL draft" mentality when it comes to evaluating players. Before Frost actually got the team on the field there was a bunch of "he likes a qb that can run and throw and make decisions" (well yah who doesn't), and proceeded to talk up Bunch because he was fairly mobile and could spin it a bit.

Bunch is not that good a football player, just because he measures well at certain things that Frost desires, doesn't make him a franchise QB. There's quite a bit of "we need a circle here and that guy is less square than the others so we're good!" going on.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT