ADVERTISEMENT

Honestly, how do you think Neb will do?

Where do you HONESTLY see Neb ending up?

• 6-7 wins and a bowl game

Votes: 57 24.8%
  • 8-9 wins and BIG10 west champions

Votes: 123 53.5%
  • 9-10 wins and BIG10 champions

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • 10-12 wins, BIG10 Champions, and playoff team.

Votes: 15 6.5%

• Total voters
We are an 8 win team with a 9-10 win + big ten west champion schedule.
Winners are prepared to take advantage of opportunities when they present themselves.
Our schedule this year affords us a great opportunity that shouldn't be squandered.

Many point to 2020 - we may be more talented - however the OSU, Iowa, Wisconsin and NW games are all on the road and we add Penn State. Many of our opponents will be starting new QBs in 2019 and will have a full year of experience in 2020.

Win the West.

I may take heat for this - but these are the type of years where Bo would win the division

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
What "credit" has this team deserved after going 4-8 the last 2 seasons?

Last year the Nebraska #Huskers were outscored 175-88 the first 18 quarters of the season.

Starting with the 2nd half of the Wisconsin game the Huskers outscored opponents 227-91 the rest of the season.

If you throw throw out Bethune Cookman we still out scored opponents 182-82 During that same time frame. Post Wisconsin we were 4-3 losing all three of this games on the road by a combined 11 points. Two of those losses came to the two teams who ended up in the BIG Championship Game.

IMO, offensively at the skill positions we have the fastest guys we’ve ever had at NU and that’s saying a lot considering I grew up in the 90’s. Our RBs and WRs have more overall speed than I’ve ever seen at NU. If his trajectory holds, Martinez very well could end up as the best QB in NU history. I expect our Offense to be top 10 nationally.

Defensively this is where the success of the season ultimately lies. I think the addition of Darrion Daniels and Jakeem Green is huge. I think our defensive line is going to surprise some people, NU fans included. I expect a significant step forward from the Defense.

Finally, follow the money. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Last year Vegas had us at 5.5 O/U. This year we’re at 8.5 O/U with money to the over. So Vegas thinks we’re a 9 win team. Those hotels weren’t built because the house lost. Those oddsmakers are actuaries by trade. They have developed stats and algorithms we’ve never even heard of, in order to make emotionless decisions that maximize money lines, enticing to the bettor but favoring the house. Vegas gets it right more than they get it wrong.

Should we get credit for all of that? Probably not. Should we be considered a favorite in the West? Yes, as much as anyone else.

For the first time in a very, very long time I look up and down our schedule and there isn’t a single team on the schedule that I believe we can’t beat. Doesn’t mean we’ll win every game or even be favored in every game. But I believe we have the capability to beat every team on our schedule. I haven’t had that thought since before we joined the BIG.

9–3 with a trip to Indy for the Huskers this year.

We are an 8 win team with a 9-10 win + big ten west champion schedule.
Winners are prepared to take advantage of opportunities when they present themselves.
Our schedule this year affords us a great opportunity that shouldn't be squandered.

Many point to 2020 - we may be more talented - however the OSU, Iowa, Wisconsin and NW games are all on the road and we add Penn State. Many of our opponents will be starting new QBs in 2019 and will have a full year of experience in 2020.

Win the West.

I may take heat for this - but these are the type of years where Bo would win the division
giphy.gif

Bo would shrink from the challenge, finish 7-5 and blame everyone else but himself.

F that guy.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
Bo would shrink from the challenge, finish 7-5 and blame everyone else but himself.

F that guy.

when did Bo ever finish 7-5.

Agree he would blame everyone else but he would do that after winning 9 games

Agree about him as a person ... and he wasn’t that great of a coach ... but he played in 3 conf championship games in 7 years. He technically won or tied for the division 4 of 7 years.

If Bo was a terrible coach then we should expect a better coach to do much better than win the division 40+% of the time.

And before this spirals into pro/con Bo ... he should have been fired at least a year earlier

Last edited:
My opinion and my opinion only. If you disagree, great.

ANYTHING less than 8 wins would borderline failure.

Haven't looked at the O/U lately but the original one that came out I would be all over the OVER.

I expect 10 wins and West champion but wouldn't be the least surprised if we don't run the table in regular season.

So in a nutshell, 8-12 wins. I know it a little vague so I'll narrow it down to my middle of the road 10 wins.....but think 12 would not be a surprise.

ANYTHING less than 8 wins would borderline failure.
100% agree. I don't agree with all the "this is only year 2 so be patient" comments. History shows that new coaches need to make a big jump the second year or they're basically doomed (not all, just the majority). There was an ESPN article on this last week. I'm confident in Frost being the real deal, so count me in for 9-10 wins and west champs. Also, Adrian Martinez.

Agree about him as a person ... and he wasn’t that great of a coach ... but he played in 3 conf championship games in 7 years. He technically won or tied for the division 4 of 7 years.

If Bo was a terrible coach then we should expect a better coach to do much better than win the division 40+% of the time.

And before this spirals into pro/con Bo ... he should have been fired at least a year earlier

he was let off the hook at the end. would've loved to see him wallow in that horrendous roster he built for mike riley's first season

he's a loser, always has been a loser, always will be a loser

anyone who's pro Bo should be thrown in jail with him and his neanderthal brother

he was let off the hook at the end. would've loved to see him wallow in that horrendous roster he built for mike riley's first season

he's a loser, always has been a loser, always will be a loser

anyone who's pro Bo should be thrown in jail with him and his neanderthal brother

again if a loser can win the division 40+% of the time a better coach should yield improved results
I am not pro Bo .. I am pro having better results than a coach who has been deemed terrible

now you have Mike Riley taking over a horrendous roster and changing the system and winning 6 games his first year ... while we had a similar situation last year and only won 4

I think Bo was great, and still miss that guy.

Frost has like no personality with the fans.. he keeps everyone at arms length.

For now, ppl want to win, so they are okay with that, but oh how I miss the Bo years.. the interaction with the media, the fans, the insults, the 1 line comebacks, and flubs.. truly, it was kind of fun when he was here.

delete your account

Reactions: merk0714
again if a loser can win the division 40+% of the time a better coach should yield improved results
I am not pro Bo .. I am pro having better results than a coach who has been deemed terrible

now you have Mike Riley taking over a horrendous roster and changing the system and winning 6 games his first year ... while we had a similar situation last year and only won 4

you say 'deemed terrible' as if that's an opinion? he will never again coach a D1 team. he won the big 12 north and a horrendous big 10 west while winning maybe 1 big game his entire tenure and at the same time being an embarrassment to himself, his caveman family, our university and our state. big whoop. I'd be more proud with Coach Frost at the helm if we never won another game again.

he disgusts me & is a black mark on NU's good name.

Reactions: jlb321
you say 'deemed terrible' as if that's an opinion? he will never again coach a D1 team. he won the big 12 north and a horrendous big 10 west while winning maybe 1 big game his entire tenure and at the same time being an embarrassment to himself, his caveman family, our university and our state. big whoop. I'd be more proud with Coach Frost at the helm if we never won another game again.

he disgusts me & is a black mark on NU's good name.

no .. sorry for the misunderstanding .. he was a terrible coach ... we should demand better on the field results

Reactions: Top_Gun_
no .. sorry for the misunderstanding .. he was a terrible coach ... we should demand better on the field results

good segue back to the OP.. 8-9 wins and West title after beating Iowa got my vote, and I hope it's a conservative expectation!

I've been thinking 8-4 or 9-3, leaning towards 9-3, and I see no reason why we can't do that. I really don't get the people holding back on their optimism solely because "we've been burned before". Well, do you think that's going to keep happening? You think we're never going to break through and be good again? Wasn't that supposed to be part of the excitement of hiring Scott Frost? I also hear some of the idea that it's too early to expect much this year, but next year is our year. But this year we have a more favorable schedule. I can guarantee some of those same people saying next year is our year will hold back next year because our schedule is tougher.
I've been saying this since the end of last year; everybody seemed to be excited about bringing in Frost, so why can't some people match that excitement with optimism for what he can accomplish? The "I need to see it to believe it" argument doesn't work with me. Any team at the level we are at now that expects to be good and competing for championships again is going to have to make a big jump at some point. If you believe in Frost, you're going to have to believe that he can do that, so why not this year when our schedule is as favorable as it has been for awhile?

What "credit" has this team deserved after going 4-8 the last 2 seasons?

None...just keep assuming 4-8 is all they will ever go....they will NEVER win more the 4 games a year for the rest of the Universities life. Just keeping holding on to those 4-8s like it was Scott Frost fault and not Mike Riley. Give me a break!

I think these posts are all hitting upon two very important facts:

1.) As Nebraska fans, we are happy with Frost and his coaching crew, and we know we have talent. We want to see that yield a great year and a great record, but we've endured 15+ years of disappointment. Even when Pelini had us winning a lot, we would get crushed by a Wisconsin or we would lose a title game by a fake second. It's hard to just shake those bad feelings.

2.) Added to that, as MANY analysts have pointed out, the Big Ten West is basically the "Wild West" this year. There are like 5 teams that could win it, conceivably. We're kind of the favorite right now, but you could say Iowa, Northwestern, Purdue, Wisconsin, or Minnesota and nobody would be too shocked. Well, maybe they'd be shocked if Minnesota won, but you know what I mean.

So, I voted for 9 wins, West Title, going to the Championship. I think our floor is 7 wins, and our ceiling is undefeated. And that's a WIDE berth to guess from.

Agree

Finally, follow the money. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Last year Vegas had us at 5.5 O/U. This year we’re at 8.5 O/U with money to the over. So Vegas thinks we’re a 9 win team. Those hotels weren’t built because the house lost. Those oddsmakers are actuaries by trade. They have developed stats and algorithms we’ve never even heard of, in order to make emotionless decisions that maximize money lines, enticing to the bettor but favoring the house. Vegas gets it right more than they get it wrong.

9–3 with a trip to Indy for the Huskers this year.

these two statements are contradictory. the public always rides the over, just like you did here.

we have to hope Vegas takes a bath on Big Red this season, not builds another hotel!

None...just keep assuming 4-8 is all they will ever go....they will NEVER win more the 4 games a year for the rest of the Universities life. Just keeping holding on to those 4-8s like it was Scott Frost fault and not Mike Riley. Give me a break!
That what I don't get, many (dips to the east) keep using these last 2 years or 4 years as some sort of bench mark for the eternity of Nebraska football going forward. Lets refresh for those slow blinkers to the east.

New coach
New staff
New system
New S&C
New nutrition program
New mentality
75% of the team is completely different players

These last 4 years were 99.9% on Mike Riley, there is no other way to spin it. I understand Frost was the coach last year, but make no mistake those 8 losses were the direct result of what Mike Riley did/ destroyed the previous 3. I will guarantee, Nebraska will never have back to back losing seasons while Frost is here!! I will guarantee Nebraska will never losing 4 years in a row to any team, especially Iowa!!

That what I don't get, many (dips to the east) keep using these last 2 years or 4 years as some sort of bench mark for the eternity of Nebraska football going forward. Lets refresh for those slow blinkers to the east.

New coach
New staff
New system
New S&C
New nutrition program
New mentality

These last 4 years were 99.9% on Mike Riley, there is no other way to spin it. I understand Frost was the coach last year, but make no mistake those 8 losses were the direct result of what Mike Riley did/ destroyed the previous 3. I will guarantee, Nebraska will never have back to back losing seasons while Frost is here!! I will guarantee Nebraska will never losing 4 years in a row to any team, especially Iowa!!

65% riley, 35% bo

but good post and agree w the rest

New coach
New staff
New system
New S&C
New nutrition program
New mentality

Exactly, we won’t ever see a 4-8 or even 5-6 again while Scott Frost is our Head Coach. Mike Riley had us a complete dumpster fire.

Reactions: husker2612
Agreed...and i just meant the teams that actually won the BIG 10....the others are just like our Huskers, go there but lost.

I think the next logical step - given the poor division we play in - is to regularly appear in the championship game. We may take our lumps initially. The top of this division needs to step up and compete with the best in the east. If it doesn’t happen soon we are going to see a reshuffling. My guess is we end up with PSU in the division.

We are in the only power 5 division that doesn’t have a team that recruits top 10-15. We should own this division ... a 5 loss team that had home losses to duke and Akron was the div champion last year

Last edited:
No pining for the days of Bo here, but he probably would have won 9 games with that horrific roster in 2015. Toughest game on paper was MSU. TA wouldn't have been asked to be a square peg in a round hole.

Reactions: bshirt73

Exactly.

Bo won 9 or 10 games every year for his seven years as our HC. But so many posters here claim he was worst HC we've ever had. Relative to Clownahan & Smiling Mike he simply was Vince Lombardi but for so many here......"results" simply don't matter.

Exactly.

Bo won 9 or 10 games every year for his seven years as our HC. But so many posters here claim he was worst HC we've ever had. Relative to Clownahan & Smiling Mike he simply was Vince Lombardi but for so many here......"results" simply don't matter.

I'm ok with a few deeper valleys than the Pelini years as long as there are higher peaks as well

Exactly.

No, not worst ever. Just not a very good coach for a program like Nebraska along with Callahan & Riley.

Reactions: SC_'sker
Exactly.

I was willing to see how it played out if Callahan would have dumped his buddy Cosgrove and hired a decent DC.

Reactions: SC_'sker
I've been thinking 8-4 or 9-3, leaning towards 9-3, and I see no reason why we can't do that. I really don't get the people holding back on their optimism solely because "we've been burned before". Well, do you think that's going to keep happening? You think we're never going to break through and be good again? Wasn't that supposed to be part of the excitement of hiring Scott Frost? I also hear some of the idea that it's too early to expect much this year, but next year is our year. But this year we have a more favorable schedule. I can guarantee some of those same people saying next year is our year will hold back next year because our schedule is tougher.
I've been saying this since the end of last year; everybody seemed to be excited about bringing in Frost, so why can't some people match that excitement with optimism for what he can accomplish? The "I need to see it to believe it" argument doesn't work with me. Any team at the level we are at now that expects to be good and competing for championships again is going to have to make a big jump at some point. If you believe in Frost, you're going to have to believe that he can do that, so why not this year when our schedule is as favorable as it has been for awhile?

Because Chinander, who is still an umproven commodity, is still coaching our defense.

I think the next logical step - given the poor division we play in - is to regularly appear in the championship game. We may take our lumps initially. The top of this division needs to step up and compete with the best in the east. If it doesn’t happen soon we are going to see a reshuffling. My guess is we end up with PSU in the division.

We are in the only power 5 division that doesn’t have a team that recruits top 10-15. We should own this division ... a 5 loss team that had home losses to duke and Akron was the div champion last year
I know someone posted stats comparing the West vs East and which side won more games against the other. It was very similar. Outside of the actual championship game that is. For whatever reason the East has owned the BIG10 championship. Never mind, I know the reason.... Ohio St

I'm really starting to drink the Kool-Aid. With this schedule and the way the team looks in camp, I can now see us going 10-2 and winning the West. Probably lose a close hard-fought game to Michigan in Indianapolis.

Reactions: HuskerO
Exactly.

please, Einstein, tell us what "results" you were happy with under Bo.

those 9 or 10 wins every year were as empty as that cro magnon man's skull.

we won exactly nothing under Bo. if you're happy with that, take a look in the mirror instead of trolling this board.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT