ADVERTISEMENT

Honest question

BHoppy

Walk On
Jun 26, 2001
I have watched your recruiting and years 2016 through 2018 your lowest ranking was 24th, In those 3 years you signed, I believe, 21 4 stars. How many of those players are left? Is attrition affecting your roster? You seem to get good skilled players but not sure about in the trenches.

I do not think all your problems are how good your players are, and it takes time to develop even 4 star recruits.

Only my thought, but I think SF came in with the challenge of changing the discipline and culture. And that can take time with some of the players.

Good luck rest of the season.

I have watched your recruiting and years 2016 through 2018 your lowest ranking was 24th, In those 3 years you signed, I believe, 21 4 stars. How many of those players are left? Is attrition affecting your roster? You seem to get good skilled players but not sure about in the trenches.

I do not think all your problems are how good your players are, and it takes time to develop even 4 star recruits.

Only my thought, but I think SF came in with the challenge of changing the discipline and culture. And that can take time with some of the players.

Good luck rest of the season.

Riley focused on the soft west coast guys. Him and that drunk Gorrila WR coach (his own created brand) left the WR unit so depleted we couldn't even field a 5 WR set when Frost arrived and we could never get a RB to visit under Riley. Line recruiting was not good under Riley at all (DL much worse than OL).

When Frost arrived they had to kick off the majority of our linebackers since they all sucked. The linebackers that this staff is recruiting are being redshirted and having them play against OSU last night would have just resulted in the same thing. They need developing.

The DB unit was in the worst shape I have seen in my life for any Big Ten team when Frost arrived and that unit had to be retooled a complete 180 degrees before they could even get an interception or deflect a pass.

When Frost arrived the roster and culture in the program was essentially on its death bed and it's going to be a long ride back to the top but I have no fear of not getting back. I can see the growth happening.

Under Riley they didn't even do back squats.

Riley came here for a big paycheck that’s it. He is terrible coach and on top of he he didn’t care at all about being Nebraska’s coach. Bill Jennings was a better coach that Riley. I’d say he a lot like the former kst coach Vince Gibson

Despite our recruiting rankings the number of top ranked guys who left is significant, coupled with some “busts”, leaving the talent pool a bit depleted.

As stated by uberism, the rebuild here was really massive. However, they still are not performing to the level of the talent. Frost is responsible for not maximizing their potential.

A lot of it looks mental to me (see games 1-4) and then OSU imposed a physical dominance.

Defensively, I need to see more, but consider me nervous about league play. OSU was freakishly good, but we were also nowhere close to stopping them.

Offense hasn’t been clicking consistently, and it always starts with OL. No doubt Martinez has been somewhere between bad and inconsistent.

My opinion is that the OL will show some improvement as the season goes, but Martinez has the best chance to “flip the switch” to get the most immediate improvement. It’s up to Frost to pull Martinez out of his slump.

Nothwestern is gonna play tough defense and it’s not the kind of bounceback game we need (see Michigan) for our offense. Hopefully the defense can have success to give the offense a chance.

Despite our recruiting rankings the number of top ranked guys who left is significant, coupled with some “busts”, leaving the talent pool a bit depleted.

As stated by uberism, the rebuild here was really massive. However, they still are not performing to the level of the talent. Frost is responsible for not maximizing their potential.

A lot of it looks mental to me (see games 1-4) and then OSU imposed a physical dominance.

Defensively, I need to see more, but consider me nervous about league play. OSU was freakishly good, but we were also nowhere close to stopping them.

Offense hasn’t been clicking consistently, and it always starts with OL. No doubt Martinez has been somewhere between bad and inconsistent.

My opinion is that the OL will show some improvement as the season goes, but Martinez has the best chance to “flip the switch” to get the most immediate improvement. It’s up to Frost to pull Martinez out of his slump.

Nothwestern is gonna play tough defense and it’s not the kind of bounceback game we need (see Michigan) for our offense. Hopefully the defense can have success to give the offense a chance.
IMO, this team is about 4-5 players away from being a really good team. A couple of O linemen and a couple of linbackers and a safety. We've just got gaping holes that other teams can exploit. I think our young O linemen and backers are going to be good BUT man they shouldn't be playing already. Thank Riley for that. 4-8 years will do that to you.

Reactions: HominidHusker
IMO, this team is about 4-5 players away from being a really good team. A couple of O linemen and a couple of linbackers and a safety. We've just got gaping holes that other teams can exploit. I think our young O linemen and backers are going to be good BUT man they shouldn't be playing already. Thank Riley for that. 4-8 years will do that to you.

I also agree we’re just a handful of players short from being significantly better. The OL situation Frost walked into was not good and it’ll take time to fix that one.

Riley focused on the soft west coast guys.

There's no such thing as a "soft West coast guy." That's total baloney. When USC was winning championships, or Oregon fielding top 5 teams, they were what, full of guys from the Midwest? I don't think so. Are there any military Congressional Medal of Honor winners from California? Does the military avoid recruits from California, because they're soft? Nope. Nebraska's roster has been dominated by guys from Nebraska for a long time. If you want to claim someone is soft point the thumb, not the finger.

I think it’s relative to what is meant by “good.”

I think it’s virtually impossible that we’ll ever good in the way that team we played last night is. They probably have the #2 pick in the next two drafts, potentially the first CB off the board, a late first/early second RB prospect. Top 3-4 round guys scattered throughout every position group. I’d bet 25%/35% of that Buckeye team plays in the NFL. That just isn’t going to happen here.

But I do think we can be Briles Baylor good or peak Gundy OSU good. BUT that is only possible with elite QB play. AM can do that. He’s just got the yips right now.

I do think those Baylor and OSU teams I’m speaking of are probably more like 10 win rather than 11 win teams if they played in the big ten though.

Not all is lost. Frost can take us to heights that we haven’t seen since Solich. I don’t think dynastic times are likely to visit us once again though.

Agreed. Also keep in mind that one of the major reasons the 90s dynasty happened was that the major powers (OU, Texas, Miami, the California teams and basically all the teams in the Midwest) were having down years. That allowed Tom to cherry pick talent... also, all he had to do every year was beat one good team in conference because the rest all sucked. That won’t happen again....

So after some quick googling. It looks like since 2016 we've signed 31 four stars which I guess is probably 4th in the B1G in that time span. However, of the 2016 and 2017 Riley classes, only 4 of the 11 4*'s are still here. Only 2 of them are starters. Scott has recruited 20 4*'s since he got here 15 are still with the program. so all in all 19 are still here. 10 of whom are true freshman, 5 true sophomore's or RS freshman. It leads to us being an extremely inexperienced and mediocre team. Hopefully Frost can turn the corner on this class and get us another 10 or so 4* guys. Lord knows we need all the help we can get.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT