ADVERTISEMENT

Honest question.

I think most would just say a better coached team - I for one do not have any expectations record wise - I just want kids playing hard, playing smart and things improving

I honestly don't really care about the record, I care about how the team is showing effort and heart during games. This current team is soft and changing that needs to be goal #1.

Pretty much sums it up but no question being bowl eligible would be very important.

I think most would just say a better coached team - I for one do not have any expectations record wise - I just want kids playing hard, playing smart and things improving
Same. I want to see the team gaining ground from game first to last game. This years team went backwards. 5 wins is more than acceptable.
Akron, Colorado, Troy should be wins. Then just need to get a few between Illinois, Minn, Purdue, NW and Iowa. We should be able to get 2 or those

This is my stance. I have been anti Riley as a coach from the beginning. (great guy personally) I never gave a whole lot of attention to the wins and losses but paid attention to what was happening on the field. It has been ugly. I will do the same thing with SF. However in saying that......I think getting to a bowl game would be a nice goal for next year.

The record really depends on how well the team transitions to a new offense. Rushing productivity went from OK to almost non-existent from the start to the end of the season. Does Tre bounce back from the knee injury? Do Jaylin and Wilbon prosper in Frost's offense? I am assuming Tanner leaves for a situation more suited for his skills. Can either POB or TG competently execute the Frost offense?
Defensively, I cannot fathom how the that unit could play worse than they did at the end of the year.
If the offensive transition is not rocky and the D plays better with an additional year of experience, I could see 7 wins.

Reactions: HAWKS4LIFE
Even with the schedule, I would like to be above .500 and show toughness and be in games. I would like to see the team challenge each other to be accountable.

As a Husker from the last national championship team, I think Frost knows what it takes to be successful and I just want him to instill that back into this team.

That being said - we have to give Frost time to develop this mentality. We can't afford to only give him 3, 4 or even 5 years. I think this must be a long term commitment. It took T.O. 6 to 8 years (I think) before he won a conference championship......and I think this is the time frame Frost may need.

At best maybe 6 or 7 wins. Given the sorry state of this team, it's going to take a few years before we are competitive again...but it will come!

Apparently this site is now filled with a bunch of low-expectation fans that forgot the 90's and where our expectations should be!

Next year (and every year), we better win the west division, win or be damn competitive in the CCG, play in a "New Years" bowl game and finish in the top 10.

If you think anything other than this, you are not a true Husker fan and should check yourself at the door.

NO EXCUSES!!!

SmokinSmokinSmokinSmokinSmokinSmokinSmokinSmokin

It not W/L record that the knowledgeable fan base will be looking for/at...

Will be Ethic and Ethos. The two foundations of dynasty's

A return to greatness... something 'past' 'wins'.....

..and once in place?

The Wins will fall like the summer rains on the vast plains of Nebraska...:)

Reactions: Sinomatic
Same. I want to see the team gaining ground from game first to last game. This years team went backwards. 5 wins is more than acceptable.
Akron, Colorado, Troy should be wins. Then just need to get a few between Illinois, Minn, Purdue, NW and Iowa. We should be able to get 2 or those

Exactly.

Reactions: jpile01
Less than 7 wins would definitely be a disappointment.
Exactly. Somebody looked at the schedule the other day and said 7-5 should be doable. I agree-and 7 wins is hardly high expectations either. This idea of not caring about the record is just plain stupid. We need to show real improvement in the win/loss column, at the least make a bowl game.

Less than 7 wins would definitely be a disappointment.

Well from where we are at right now 4-8 and one of the worse defense in school history, we are starting over to rebuild this program it won't happen over night...

Remember this will be the staff first year.. Rome wasn't built in a year.

With basic competent in-game coaching, Illinois, MN, Purdue, and Iowa should be wins (or at least 3/4). So tired of losing 2 or more games per year due to grade school level decision making.

The national narrative is simply OFF when it comes to NU Football expectations. We hear about "they expect National Championships every 3 years" blah blah blah. Some of that is from haters- from others- people that dont go to games or have extremely small circles.

A good season would be 6 wins and a bowl game. A very good season would be 7 wins.

What we want to see?
Good physical football that is well coached

For that to happen- total cultural shift from the soft, poorly coached football we see now. We dont have the following players SF needs on offense: true dual threat QB with some explosive lateral speed- small explosive RB with great body control, athletic nasty Olinemen. We have the receivers- with the expectations the existing commits sign. The defense- total rebuild. He needs and will get time.

In 3 years we just want to see progress- towards being a well coached, physical football team. That could mean 7 wins- that could mean 10 wins.

Yes you have to embrace the job including the fans AND represent the University in a reasonable fashion- no Bobby Petrinos or Bo Pelinis need apply.

In years 5-7 we want to see Division titles and competing for league titles. NO ONE is expecting a miracle overnight or National Championships. Those are haters, non fans, people that know little about the game and often times Riley/Pelini apologists.

I would hope that we have 5 or 6 wins next year.
But more importantly, I would like to see better tackling, better blocking and protection of our QB, Having the quarterback making better decisions on the field and to see more of a physical team all around.

Good lord did Riley ever lower a lot of our expectations.

Next year, with Frost?

3-0 in the non-con
6-0 in the division (5-1 at worst)
1-2 or 2-1 vs the west

Worst case: 9-3
Best case: 11-1

Yep - 6 or 7 wins and a bowl game are realistic. Overall improvement in execution and toughness also highly desirable to see. The schedule is more favorable in 2019 - enough winning the West is realistic. 2020 - again - tough schedule but hopefully things have improved enough that should not matter much. Hopefully Urbie's heart gives out (enough to re-retire) by then and Harbaugh gets run out of Ann Arbor for not beating tOSU....ever.

Good lord did Riley ever lower a lot of our expectations.

Next year, with Frost?

3-0 in the non-con
6-0 in the division (5-1 at worst)
1-2 or 2-1 vs the west

Worst case: 9-3
Best case: 11-1
Ahhh... Ain't happening next year! You will most likely be the first on the Fire Frost train with those expectation and our schedule

Reactions: Crushinator
Lets say you get SF, what are your expectations next year record wise?
Great Question. I haven't set any until Scott is actually announced as the new Nebraska Head Football Coach. Then I want to see what his staff looks like. And after that, I will want to see what the recruiting class ends up being and what players leave the program.

From there I will set my personal expectations for next year. I know Nebraska has a brutal away schedule for next year against some very strong teams.

Right now I don't have any expectations. But will have before the season starts next year.

Last edited:
It wasn't the players...
Did you see the defense playing 15 yards off WR's?
Did you see the defense with just 3 guys on the DL while teams ran and ran and ran?
Did you see the offense with a statue QB?

Riley is gone guys...that shit is over.
Its this kind of crap that other fan bases mock. Not sure how many times I've read or heard fans of other teams cite unrealistic expectations of NU fans as a reason why coaches come here to die.

Reactions: Crushinator
Definitely Beat: Akron, Colorado, Troy, Purdue, NW, Minnesota, Illinois

Should Beat: Iowa, Michigan State

Play Competitively Against: Michigan, Wisky, Ohio State

I dont know much about who Colorado has coming back... but we should have AT LEAST seven wins next year

I would say Iowa and MSU would both be more like “could beat”. Colorado will also be a challenge that early into a new staffs tenure.

Reactions: dand84
Its this kind of crap that other fan bases mock. Not sure how many times I've read or heard fans of other teams cite unrealistic expectations of NU fans as a reason why coaches come here to die.

You think it is unrealistic to beat Akron? Troy and CU? You think it is unrealistic to beat Minny, NW, Purdue and Illinois?

First thing that needs to change is attitude. ACCOUNTABILITY. Then work ethic. All this can happen in the off season. Then comes discipline and knowledge. This might be seen somewhat in the spring game. Especially on defense this past season, way too many times there were people out of position and3-4 people in the same spot at the same time leaving GAPING holes.

Next, special teams. Where do I begin?

Culture change, then win's and loses will take care of them selves. Probably quickly and Bigly.

ADVERTISEMENT