ADVERTISEMENT

Honest Question on Farniok

BHoppy

Walk On
Jun 26, 2001
I remember watching his recruitment and was hoping Iowa would get him. Then watched him in the Army all american game and was not impressed but still thought he would be a good fit for Iowa. But felt if we did not get him, no big deal.

Last week he seemed to play well, but this week he really struggled.

Just wondering for an honest opinion.

Thanks and hang in there. Long season and you have alot of talent in areas. Good luck the rest of the season.

He may develop into a good player, but he got taken to the woodshed today. After watching Knevel last year and in the first game this year I wondered how he won the starting job......well, now I know!

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
I remember watching his recruitment and was hoping Iowa would get him. Then watched him in the Army all american game and was not impressed but still thought he would be a good fit for Iowa. But felt if we did not get him, no big deal.

Thanks and hang in there. Long season and you have alot of talent in areas. Good luck the rest of the season.
Reality set in today. He played like a redshirt freshmen. However in time, he should develop into an average or slightly above average lineman depending on the individual that will be his OL coach. He has the tools to be decent. For him to be great is somewhat of a stretch, but he is young and might develop. He has more potential than what we currently have. Coaching will play a huge role.

. he should develop into an average or slightly above average lineman depending on the individual that will be his OL coach. He has the tools to be decent. For him to be great is somewhat of a stretch, but he is young and might develop. He has more potential than what we currently have. Coaching will play a huge role.

Boy do I hope you are wrong on him. When recruited the consensus seemed to be that he was a cornerstone that we would build around. And not that he could be average someday. If you're right where did that talent go? Is it like old Snickers commercial and there is a man in Germany wondering "why am I so good at football?"

If the best he can be is decent we are dead. Absolutely dead.

Boy do I hope you are wrong on him. When recruited the consensus seemed to be that he was a cornerstone that we would build around. And not that he could be average someday. If you're right where did that talent go? Is it like old Snickers commercial and there is a man in Germany wondering "why am I so good at football?"

You have to be able to separate the film from the competition. SD isn't a hit bed. We beat out Iowa for him. Enough said. 3 star is accurate. Average lineman that'll win on size but lose on speed. It's a speed game today.

You have to be able to separate the film from the competition. SD isn't a hit bed. We beat out I Iowa for him. Enough said. 3 star is accurate. Average lineman that'll win on size but lose on speed. It's a speed game today.

Jeez, his profile said he had offers from Arizona State, Cal, Florida, FSU, Iowa, Iowa State, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Missouri, Penn State, Stanford, Washington State and Wisconsin. You saying they just offered but didn't really want him? I remember the FSU coach visited SD several times to visit and wanted him badly.

Jeez, his profile said he had offers from Arizona State, Cal, Florida, FSU, Iowa, Iowa State, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Missouri, Penn State, Stanford, Washington State and Wisconsin. You saying they just offered but didn't really want him? I remember the FSU coach visited SD several times to visit and wanted him badly.

Are you attempting to post facts into this thread? Winking

You have to be able to separate the film from the competition. SD isn't a hit bed. We beat out Iowa for him. Enough said. 3 star is accurate. Average lineman that'll win on size but lose on speed. It's a speed game today.
Exactly. We need to recruit speed on the OL just as much as any position on the field. Athletes everywhere!

His coaches have failed him.
Good heavens he's played 2 games as a redshirt freshman. I think it's a little early to pass judgement on him or the job the coaches are doing of teaching him. You can not substitute practice for game experience.

Reactions: kikdakan
Not passing any judgment on him. He was not put in position to succeed.
Maybe he was and he failed. Maybe it was him making mental mistakes as a redshirt freshmen and not the coaching he received. Maybe the guy next to him f###ed up multiple times and made him look bad. We don't know and I haven't seen a single substantive post about what went wrong when our offensive line failed. Not one. All I've seen was critical generalizations because the overall performance wasn't good. Well why wasn't it good? What EXACTLY went wrong? What exactly could have Cav done to prevent it or fix it during the game? Not one substantive post just a bunch of general criticism of play calling, QB play, a kid's quickness, etc.

Did you ever look back at your first day on a job and think "man, I was so dumb"?

This is in essence this kid's first days on the job. Obviously he's struggling but jeez, he is going to be way better because of this experience. There's a reason freshmen rarely start on the O line.

Maybe he was and he failed. Maybe it was him making mental mistakes as a redshirt freshmen and not the coaching he received. Maybe the guy next to him f###ed up multiple times and made him look bad. We don't know and I haven't seen a single substantive post about what went wrong when our offensive line failed. Not one. All I've seen was critical generalizations because the overall performance wasn't good. Well why wasn't it good? What EXACTLY went wrong? What exactly could have Cav done to prevent it or fix it during the game? Not one substantive post just a bunch of general criticism of play calling, QB play, a kid's quickness, etc.
The O-line was abysmal. Cav is the O-line coach. The players are his, and weren't pulled off the street last week.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I'm not going to preetend to be an O-line coach. That's what Cav is doing...
That was a good one.Laughing Cav has done something right over the years. For as mediocre as OSU was, he put quite a few O linemen in the NFL and they were rarely highly recruited guys. His reputation is that he's a good technical teacher. My point is that I don't know exactly what the mistakes were other than Farniok having trouble with a guy that was much quicker than him. That's not unusual for a young O lineman. I know that we struggled with their stunts and they threw the kitchen sink at us. ONE stop by our defense and we still win that game after 4 interceptions. IF we just threw those 4 interceptions away and didn't throw the picks, we win by 10 at least?

That was a good one.Laughing Cav has done something right over the years. For as mediocre as OSU was, he put quite a few O linemen in the NFL and they were rarely highly recruited guys. His reputation is that he's a good technical teacher. My point is that I don't know exactly what the mistakes were other than Farniok having trouble with a guy that was much quicker than him. That's not unusual for a young O lineman. I know that we struggled with their stunts and they threw the kitchen sink at us. ONE stop by our defense and we still win that game after 4 interceptions. IF we just threw those 4 interceptions away and didn't throw the picks, we win by 10 at least?

We shouldn't have to lean on if's and but's to win a home game against NIU.

I WANT MY CANDY AND I WANT IT NOW!!!!!

giphy.gif

And if my aunt had ball...you know. If if if! Forget Farniok...the rest of the line was/is crap. And the rest of them have quite a bit of experience under their belt. We have average at best at that position under this staff and that's putting it kindly. It's year three...somethings wrong and the IF game is not going to work for Cavanaugh.

We shouldn't have to lean on if's and but's to win a home game against NIU.
Not leaning on ifs and buts. The point was as bad as we struggled at times on the O line, we would have done enough to win by 2 possessions if not for the the pick 6s. It wasn't just Cav or the Oline or the defense or Lee. We as a team didn't get it done and those things IMO are all teachable and fixable. There isn't a single unit on our team that couldn't have played better. We'll see IF they can fix things or not. If not I suspect we'll have 5 months of turmoil and I don't want that. I remember Osborne saying once that he knew we were in trouble before a game ever started because of the way the players were warming up. I think the fans and the players took NIU lightly and when things went south out of the gates our O line ended up on it's heels and Lee panicked. JMHO and nothing substantialWinking.

We also need to remember our guys had a bug last week. That may have been some of the issue. Either way I'm with dingle on this one. It was a team loss, and fingers could be pointed in ever direction. Also know that all teams lay an egg here and there, we just seem to do it at really bad times... or at least it feels like really bad times.

He sucks, simple as that. Got beat on just about every play, has no idea who to block. Was just as bad at Oregon.

Talked to a friend who coached OL. Says he is a very good player, just needs some experience. He stated the OL is one of the hardest transition from HS to College. You are going to make mistakes due to facing stronger and quicker players in HS. Give him time.

What was your question?

He sucks, simple as that. Got beat on just about every play, has no idea who to block. Was just as bad at Oregon.
No oldjar, you suck, dogging on a 19-year old kid. Feel like a tough guy football expert now? Let me guess -- you never strapped on a pair of shoulder pads in your life. Farniok should be on his second year in the weight room, looking forward to getting on the field in another two seasons. Instead he is thrown to the wolves. The kid was crushed after the game; he has a ton of talent and will get better. But by all means, keep talking about how he sucks.

No oldjar, you suck, dogging on a 19-year old kid. Feel like a tough guy football expert now? Let me guess -- you never strapped on a pair of shoulder pads in your life. Farniok should be on his second year in the weight room, looking forward to getting on the field in another two seasons. Instead he is thrown to the wolves. The kid was crushed after the game; he has a ton of talent and will get better. But by all means, keep talking about how he sucks.
Great kid who graded out better than a couple of the veterans at Oregon. He'll improve tremendously by the end of the year. Him having to play says two things. We didn't recruit well Bo's last 2 years AND the kid has a tremendous amount of talent and potential.

Great kid who graded out better than a couple of the veterans at Oregon. He'll improve tremendously by the end of the year. Him having to play says two things. We didn't recruit well Bo's last 2 years AND the kid has a tremendous amount of talent and potential.
Im sure great kid who will improve. But can we agree the tired old narrative that an O-lineman shouldnt be seeing the field until he is a red-shirt junior is tired and old?

He is an OG having to play OT due to horrible overall tackle recruiting for about a decade (maybe longer) at Nebraska.

He needs to cut his hair.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT