ADVERTISEMENT

Honas coming back

Well, with these 25 year old, 6th year players, the D doesn't have any excuses. Need to still get some of the young guys on the field. I can imagine it is a bit disappointing to them.

Thank heavens the NFL doesn’t realize how well all of these three and four star recruits have developed under Scott and Friends.
Actually, I think one of the primary reasons these guys are opting to come back is that they really do think the defense is on the cusp of being very good, and that if they come back and have a strong 2021 they will each increase their draft status. Playing in a shortened 2020 season on a largely forgotten losing team means that you better damn well do well in the combine or you are going to end up a 7th round pick or an undrafted free agent. And the combine is an artificial "test" that only partially identifies your skill set as a ball player. These guys want to prove themselves on the field. It is a damn good sign that they think our defense is trending up and that they have bought into the culture.

if we now have the depth on defense, would this maybe allow the offense to move to a more up tempo pace? Thus allowing the younger kids more playing time (will be more snaps and keeping players fresh) with the seniors coming back?

Reactions: SkerInCo
if we now have the depth on defense, would this maybe allow the offense to move to a more up tempo pace? Thus allowing the younger kids more playing time (will be more snaps and keeping players fresh) with the seniors coming back?
The offense's first priority should be to greatly lessen the number of mistakes. With a strong defense (top 25 or better) and improved special teams play (Meyer, Cerni, Culp), the offense shouldn't have to race to beat the clock; just manage the game and pound away until something breaks on the other side.

Actually, I think one of the primary reasons these guys are opting to come back is that they really do think the defense is on the cusp of being very good, and that if they come back and have a strong 2021 they will each increase their draft status. Playing in a shortened 2020 season on a largely forgotten losing team means that you better damn well do well in the combine or you are going to end up a 7th round pick or an undrafted free agent. And the combine is an artificial "test" that only partially identifies your skill set as a ball player. These guys want to prove themselves on the field. It is a damn good sign that they think our defense is trending up and that they have bought into the culture.
Perhaps, but Honas will be 23 this month. Hard to imagine he thinks he will be in more demand at 24.

Perhaps, but Honas will be 23 this month. Hard to imagine he thinks he will be in more demand at 24.
Ok fine. How old is Mills? And what is your broader point? That Honas is mediocre and has no chance at an NFL career, which is why he is coming back, and that this proves that Frost doesn't know how to recruit NFL caliber players??

Reactions: timnsun
I wonder if we move Reimer to OLB for at least one year...going to be hard to keep the UNI transfer off the field. Kid is completely forgotten about at this time. He can play
Just posted this in the other Honas thread. I think Kolarevic may be a sneaky good pickup for us with his motor.

Reactions: Huskerpro
Ok fine. How old is Mills? And what is your broader point? That Honas is mediocre and has no chance at an NFL career, which is why he is coming back, and that this proves that Frost doesn't know how to recruit NFL caliber players??
I think Honas having his season screwed up by an injury made a good decision in coming back. IF he were an elite prospect the NFL might look the other way at his injury but he's not so most NFL teams aren't going to take a guy who has had limited success and has been injured. This will make Jeremiah Sirles happy. He thinks Honas can make a jump this next year. Most former defensive players I've listened to say it takes 3 years to really be comfortable when you switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4. I think we'll be better next year on defense.

Will Honas is hoping to play healthy next year for one. I will try to have more up on Will soon but Great News he is returning for one more year. Will is one tough guy!

Honas is probably marginal at this point for the NFL, but a stellar season gets him on the radar. The average NFL career is less than three and half years. So whether Will is 23 or 24 may not matter much.
Exactly, it's not much different for guys like Deontai or Dismuke. You can probably develop more going through a full year of a college program than drifting from practice squad to practice squad.

Pretty much just proof that Scott Frost is building the best culture in sports in Lincoln. Nebraska has had more super seniors return than any team in the country.
Everyone here knows this guy is a Northwestern fan right?

Honas coming back is huge. Surpassed only by Domann and maybe CTB. Not sure why people on here keep undervaluing him. I guess it is because he was injured early and took a bit to get over it. He has excellent instincts and is a very good tackler especially considering that he brings a lot of thump. If he was on Io_a or Wisconsin's squad everyone would be lamenting how we can't get a linebacker to play like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: headcard and tstaup
ADVERTISEMENT