ADVERTISEMENT

HOL HD: Huskers looking for JUCO help in Garden City (KS)

I want to sign 9 offensive linemen- yes 9!! preferably 4 jucos and 5 high school.
Then take 6-7 more in 2020. We need options!

I didnt think DL was so bad but now believe we need to sign about 5-6 of those. Another JUCO w/ Fair would be nice.
4 CBs
5 LBs
4 WR
mccaffrey, hickman, RBs etc.

that would get us around 32 perhaps?

let’s do it

Reactions: MackDaddy87
I want to sign 9 offensive linemen- yes 9!! preferably 4 jucos and 5 high school.
Then take 6-7 more in 2020. We need options!

I didnt think DL was so bad but now believe we need to sign about 5-6 of those. Another JUCO w/ Fair would be nice.
4 CBs
5 LBs
4 WR
mccaffrey, hickman, RBs etc.

that would get us around 32 perhaps?

let’s do it
We really need an impact pass rusher JUCO or HS.

Offensive linemen have the most players by position in football so why should they not have the most scholarships in every class? I have been saying for the last 3-4 years Nebraska should sign 7-8 offensive linemen in every class. (That is with 25 as amount of signings every year. 32% 38% of your class should be Offensive linemen)

Due to the time it takes to develop them the rate of transfers, academic qualifying issues, injuries due to the % of people who get injured in the trenches, and the actual hit rate, its crazy not to sign 7-8 every year.

I have been saying this for years and people say I am crazy but this is what happens when you fall in love with too many skilled players and not enough big uglys where the game is won.

Offensive linemen have the most players by position in football so why should they not have the most scholarships in every class? I have been saying for the last 3-4 years Nebraska should sign 7-8 offensive linemen in every class. (That is with 25 as amount of signings every year. 32% 38% of your class should be Offensive linemen)

Due to the time it takes to develop them the rate of transfers, academic qualifying issues, injuries due to the % of people who get injured in the trenches, and the actual hit rate, its crazy not to sign 7-8 every year.

I have been saying this for years and people say I am crazy but this is what happens when you fall in love with too many skilled players and not enough big uglys where the game is won.
Without heavy attrition you end up with 30-40 scholarships out of 85 on OL at that rate. That's more than 5 deep at each spot.

Huge but he looks like quite a project, still learning how to play football after moving here from England. TBH the second OT they showed looked pretty good. If they can sign about 5 OTs this class that'll be just fine with me.

That'll be hunky-dory for me also. Five at a minimum. Roll the dice and hopefully two or three of them comes through and gives us some desperately needed help.

Huge but he looks like quite a project, still learning how to play football after moving here from England. TBH the second OT they showed looked pretty good. If they can sign about 5 OTs this class that'll be just fine with me.

The 2nd OT did look more impressive in that film, but Olaseni has offers from the likes of Texas, Ohio State, and Auburn. Those programs don't usually take JUCO kids that are projects. I say take them both.

Without heavy attrition you end up with 30-40 scholarships out of 85 on OL at that rate. That's more than 5 deep at each spot.

Last time I checked 7 x 4 = 28. Even if all 7 redshirt and stick with the program have no injuries, no academic casualties, and no transfer do your numbers work out that way.

That was my point not all are going to work out. 2 or 3 will get either injured before their career is over, or they get academic issues, transfer, etc. That was my point. I thought it was self evident but I guess not.

I listen to a lot of podcasts on 1620 and believe it was Nate Clouse on “Husker Hangover” was gushing about an OT and his athletic ability from there after visiting recently. If it is the same kid he has a rugby background so he can run and isn’t afraid to hit.

How have jucos worked out for us this year? I like the idea of bringing some in for competition and depth at various positions, don't get me wrong. But expecting world beaters and filling immediate 1st team needs is more of a stretch. I believe we only have 1 even on the 2-deep now, Mike Williams, and no starters? Honas is out, but I would count him on the 2-deep. Who else am I missing besides Bell that was on the 2-deep before?

How have jucos worked out for us this year? I like the idea of bringing some in for competition and depth at various positions, don't get me wrong. But expecting world beaters and filling immediate 1st team needs is more of a stretch. I believe we only have 1 even on the 2-deep now, Mike Williams, and no starters? Honas is out, but I would count him on the 2-deep. Who else am I missing besides Bell that was on the 2-deep before?
Mike Williams, Jaron Woodyard, Andrew Bunch and Will Honas

Reactions: dand84 and headcard
The JUCOs at the very least add depth.

But if they can't beat out what is already there, they do little for the future.

For every Juco player, that is one less HS guy you could have for 4-5 years. If the Juco player isn't going to battle for and eventually take over and be a starter for 2 years, I don't think they are worth the price. So a 3 to play 2 juco is different.

In the rebuilding mode Nebraska is in, getting good HS recruits is better for the long term. With proper development they will start for at least 2 years.
So in my opinion, having a player potentially be in your system for 3 years, before he starts a game, provides a better chance of success, than a guy that played in another system for 2 or 3 and can only be in your system for 2.

There is always the exception, and like I said, if you can get a juco player, that will come in and start for at least 2 years they are here, great. JMHO

Reactions: nu2u

We need talent any way that we can get it right now. Olaseni has offers from several of the best programs in the country. Cunningham has SEC offers. They may not live up to the hype like Greg Bell, but at the very least will add depth and competition. And if they don't pan out, they only take up a scholarship for 2 years instead of 4-5 years.

Guys like Mike Williams and Woodyard didn't have any other major offers so nobody expected them to be All-Americans, but this offense requires a lot of receivers and we had little depth there. Also, Coach Held said that most JUCOs take at least a half a season to transition to the major D-I level. I think these JUCO guys could be pretty good by the end of the season and next year.

We need talent any way that we can get it right now. Olaseni has offers from several of the best programs in the country. Cunningham has SEC offers. They may not live up to the hype like Greg Bell, but at the very least will add depth and competition. And if they don't pan out, they only take up a scholarship for 2 years instead of 4-5 years.

Guys like Mike Williams and Woodyard didn't have any other major offers so nobody expected them to be All-Americans, but this offense requires a lot of receivers and we had little depth there. Also, Coach Held said that most JUCOs take at least a half a season to transition to the major D-I level. I think these JUCO guys could be pretty good by the end of the season and next year.

My position on that argument is that it isn't 2 years instead of 4 or 5. There are still 4 years wasted, if not more. The two years the player is here and doesn't pan out and the 2 years the high school player isn't here.

2019 A- Juco doesn't work out
2019 B- 1 less high school recruit that would be a freshman
2020 A- Juco doesn't work out
2020 A- high school player that would be a redshirt freshman or soph
2021 C- recruit high school player that is a freshman
2021 B - high school recruit that could be battling for a starting spot as RS Soph or Jr

If that makes sense.

My position on that argument is that it isn't 2 years instead of 4 or 5. There are still 4 years wasted, if not more. The two years the player is here and doesn't pan out and the 2 years the high school player isn't here.

2019 A- Juco doesn't work out
2019 B- 1 less high school recruit that would be a freshman
2020 A- Juco doesn't work out
2020 A- high school player that would be a redshirt freshman or soph
2021 C- recruit high school player that is a freshman
2021 B - high school recruit that could be battling for a starting spot as RS Soph or Jr

If that makes sense.
You take a JUCO if you need a quick fix at a position OR if he's a guy you think will be a difference maker whether he's there for one year or three. ONE guy can make a huge difference. I am NOT in favor of taking marginal guys just to fill a roster hole that could be filled with a walk on. We've certainly gotten a fair number of guys in the past 20 years who I considered difference makers from the JUCO ranks. Especially on defense.

Reactions: WHCSC
You take a JUCO if you need a quick fix at a position OR if he's a guy you think will be a difference maker whether he's there for one year or three. ONE guy can make a huge difference. I am NOT in favor of taking marginal guys just to fill a roster hole that could be filled with a walk on. We've certainly gotten a fair number of guys in the past 20 years who I considered difference makers from the JUCO ranks. Especially on defense.

One guy can make a difference if you are one guy short. Nebraska isn't one guy short. But I agree you take a juco if you need a quick fix.

One guy can make a difference if you are one guy short. Nebraska isn't one guy short. But I agree you take a juco if you need a quick fix.
How nice would it be to have LaVonte David right now? Regardless if you're one or zero guys short, you take that guy if you can get him. We were desperate for an infusion of speed at several positions so I'm guessing we took more this past year than we will in the future. That said, I am all in favor of taking a JUCO grown man for the OL or DL who can come in and play right away IF you're sure he can play right away. You don't have that 1-3 years of non-contribution that most high schoolers involve.

How nice would it be to have LaVonte David right now? Regardless if you're one or zero guys short, you take that guy if you can get him. We were desperate for an infusion of speed at several positions so I'm guessing we took more this past year than we will in the future. That said, I am all in favor of taking a JUCO grown man for the OL or DL who can come in and play right away IF you're sure he can play right away. You don't have that 1-3 years of non-contribution that most high schoolers involve.
It would be GREAT to have Lavonte David this season. It would be great to have his JUCO teammates too. Yoshi Hardrick, Brandon Kinnie, Stanley Jean Baptiste, and Jason Pierre-Paul.

We could also really benefit from a Zaire Anderson, Dejon Gomes, Byerson Cockrell, Mo Seisay, Daimion Stafford, or a Randy Gregory. All would contribute right now!

We seem to be over complicating this. Every one of our JUCO recruits have contributed this year. If we identify exceptional talent, offer a scholarship!

But if they can't beat out what is already there, they do little for the future.

For every Juco player, that is one less HS guy you could have for 4-5 years. If the Juco player isn't going to battle for and eventually take over and be a starter for 2 years, I don't think they are worth the price. So a 3 to play 2 juco is different.

In the rebuilding mode Nebraska is in, getting good HS recruits is better for the long term. With proper development they will start for at least 2 years.
So in my opinion, having a player potentially be in your system for 3 years, before he starts a game, provides a better chance of success, than a guy that played in another system for 2 or 3 and can only be in your system for 2.

There is always the exception, and like I said, if you can get a juco player, that will come in and start for at least 2 years they are here, great. JMHO
Don't count me among those who want a baker's dozen of JUCO Olinemen. But given the current Oline we have and the fact that we lose Farmer, Conrad (that's all of our snaps at center) and Foster, I would imagine the staff is looking at what's left and having to speculate as to who will be ready to take snaps against the first line of opposing Ds. The number they come up with will drive any additional JUCO Oline additions past Bland.
Building the line of the future does come from recruiting 17-18 year old kids. But NU also has to field a competitive Oline for 2019.

Reactions: headcard
Don't count me among those who want a baker's dozen of JUCO Olinemen. But given the current Oline we have and the fact that we lose Farmer, Conrad (that's all of our snaps at center) and Foster, I would imagine the staff is looking at what's left and having to speculate as to who will be ready to take snaps against the first line of opposing Ds. The number they come up with will drive any additional JUCO Oline additions past Bland.
Building the line of the future does come from recruiting 17-18 year old kids. But NU also has to field a competitive Oline for 2019.

Ok, again I don't understand that last sentence. Getting the juco players we have this year, who have all contributed, has netted the team zero wins. Which I assume would be the same if you played true freshmen.

It has been said that Frost will get as much time as needed to complete the rebuild. Why would you make short term fixes rather than long term?

I will have to pull up my spreadsheet and scholarship count to get some totals, but this team will need CB, WR and OL, to finish out the class

If my memory is working, we can take 27 right now, depending on who else leaves after the season. We need at least 3 more OL, 2 WR and 2 CB. The remaining 3 will depend on attrition.

As far as OL goes, we have 2 HS and 1 Juco right now. In a perfect world, we take two HS and 1 Juco to finish up the class. We need to take 4 HS OL to make sure future depth isn't affected, considering we only have 1 OL redshirting this year (Farniok) and 2 RS Fr (Sichterman and Bando) and one playing in Jurgens

Ok, again I don't understand that last sentence. Getting the juco players we have this year, who have all contributed, has netted the team zero wins. Which I assume would be the same if you played true freshmen.

It has been said that Frost will get as much time as needed to complete the rebuild. Why would you make short term fixes rather than long term?

I will have to pull up my spreadsheet and scholarship count to get some totals, but this team will need CB, WR and OL, to finish out the class

If my memory is working, we can take 27 right now, depending on who else leaves after the season. We need at least 3 more OL, 2 WR and 2 CB. The remaining 3 will depend on attrition.

As far as OL goes, we have 2 HS and 1 Juco right now. In a perfect world, we take two HS and 1 Juco to finish up the class. We need to take 4 HS OL to make sure future depth isn't affected, considering we only have 1 OL redshirting this year (Farniok) and 2 RS Fr (Sichterman and Bando) and one playing in Jurgens

A little off topic here. Any idea what Jurgens injury was in high school? Just curious IF the walking boot he was reported on leaving practice today was a continued nagging situation. I would assume not. Just curious if anyone knows anything about the high school injury.

A little off topic here. Any idea what Jurgens injury was in high school? Just curious IF the walking boot he was reported on leaving practice today was a continued nagging situation. I would assume not. Just curious if anyone knows anything about the high school injury.
If I remember, it was a broken leg and dislocated (or maybe broken) ankle.

Reactions: huskerfan66
I don't disagree with this at all. The point I was making is that the staff thinks Bland can be in the mix to start or be a key backup at worst. But in an perfect world, some combination of Bland, Jaimes, Gaylord, Raridon, Wilson, Farniok, Bando, Hixson and Sichterman would produce a starting five plus a couple of backups, with no additional JUCOs.
We didn't bring in any offensive JUCO Olinemen (did we?) last year. So whether or not any JUCOs have netted any wins or not doesn't apply to that equation.
The point I was trying to make is that the staff does face a challenge between fielding an Oline that can get the job done in the short term vs. recruiting for longevity and development of younger players. It used to be that barring being a real star, kids didn't see the depth chart and field until at best their RS Sophomore year, with the two deep being littered with Juniors and Senior players. Those kids had lots of knowledge of the blocking schemes used and were coached by people with long tenure. That degraded over the years until today, with the RS Seniors having had three coaches and a few different schemes. There is a whole bunch to fix that goes past recruiting. 2018 presents a much kinder schedule and I would think Frost wants to field an Oline that can help the offensive skill players take advantage of that.
I think the coaches should work the balance the classes as best they can, maybe take one more JUCO that they think can either start or play if needed.

For every Juco player, that is one less HS guy you could have for 4-5 years. If the Juco player isn't going to battle for and eventually take over and be a starter for 2 years I don't think they are worth the price. So a 3 to play 2 juco is different.
Agree. JC players are recruited to make an immediate or near term impact at their position. If the JC player is a miss or contributes minimally, you have effectively borrowed against the future without an expected return in the short term. Some programs can afford the lost investment, Nebraska is not one of them right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT