ADVERTISEMENT

Hoiskers 17 point dog playing in Ioway City

Every game still has a 6 minute stretch where we basically don't score.

Very tough match up defending Garza will be very difficult.. Need to get him in foul trouble like in Lincoln last year...

Don’t give Wieskamp and Fredrick open shots force them to let C.McCaffery take outside shots, he usually is a brick layer from the perimeter...

how do you even know who the players are on the hawks are, I don’t know one single Nebraska player

We have to have set the record for most lazy passes 25 feet from the hoop leading to breakaways.

don't you mean you don't know a single one of 'our' players?

or is the charade over?

LOL. Did someone forget which account they were using?

tenor.gif

Seems like Fred has lost his chill with Banton. Kinda like he did with Teddy a couple weeks ago.

Why does he let him stay out there. He keeps jacking off the dribble 3s when he's our worst shooter.

Two years in and Ivan can't make a point blank layup against the scrubs

The end of Iowa's bench is most likely better than our starting 5....Ugh!!

Really crappy basketball by Nebraska....again....

My guess is he moves on and finds a mid major to transfer to.
I dunno, we're not really bringing in a big to replace him (yet), are we? Maybe I missed something. I think Yvan has a role to fill until we do.

I dunno, we're not really bringing in a big to replace him (yet), are we? Maybe I missed something. I think Yvan has a role to fill until we do.
We have Walker and Andre next year, with Mayen and Breidenbach having the ability to cover the 5 if needed. In 2022, we have Blaise Keita, 6-11 and 230. I won't guess what Yvan will do.

We have Walker and Andre next year, with Mayen and Breidenbach having the ability to cover the 5 if needed. In 2022, we have Blaise Keita, 6-11 and 230. I won't guess what Yvan will do.

Yvan been a project since arriving and it appeals more times than not a liability offensively..

Reactions: 9and4
Yvan been a project since arriving and it appeals more times than not a liability offensively..
And even though he was used a lot last night, the first half was simply Hoiberg's choice to rest Andre and not play Walker with two fouls late in the half. And in the second half, we played a lot of scrubs.

Walker missed half the season serving his Tennessee probation, got in a couple of games, then sat out the COVID stretch, presumably with COVID, before coming back. He looked like a key piece of our team on both ends of the floor until last night, when foul trouble early rendered him both useless and ineffective. I think he'll be a solid starter in the middle for us next year.

Andre had the COVID back in November/December, so he also missed much of the season as a true freshman. Then the month-long pause with no practice, and he's literally only 158 minutes into his college career as a skinny post going against Garza, T. Williams, Dickinson, Cockburn, Harrar and all the other bulky posts in the conference.

Walker has not been particularly foul-prone, though Andre can pick them up quickly. If we run into early foul trouble next year, Breidenbach (6-9) or Mayen (6-9) could probably handle a few minutes defending at the five if needed.

Yvan's usefulness ends at his ability to grab an occasional rebound because his offensive game isn't there in any phase. Walker and Andre are both better passers by far in addition to being better finishers, again by far.

It's amazing that we played an entire Big Ten season last year with Yvan as the only true post, and we still beat Iowa and Purdue in Lincoln. Of course, last year we had a true point guard, too, so that helped, even though he wasn't surrounded with much.

Reactions: scarletred
Yvan's usefulness ends at his ability to grab an occasional rebound because his offensive game isn't there in any phase. Walker and Andre are both better passers by far in addition to being better finishers, again by far.
I'm not in any way saying Yvan is good (or average) but I think your analysis of his game shortchanges his defense and rebounding. Especially since he is STILL a baby and he will absolutely get better the next two years. I agree he'll leave if he's not satisfied with his minutes, but I think Fred will want him to stay because he's a bench asset as a post defender and rebounder when other guys are in foul trouble. He's like the "break glass in case of emergency" guy. He should not be playing big minutes but he has a role.

I also don't think Breidenbach or Mayen at the 5 is a phrase that should be used by a Big 10 team that wants to finish above .500. How many years do we have to watch team after team with REAL bigs destroy us before we finally figure that out? We need a couple more Walkers, only bigger. Not soft tall guys that like to shoot 3s.

Reactions: 9and4
I'm not in any way saying Yvan is good (or average) but I think your analysis of his game shortchanges his defense and rebounding. Especially since he is STILL a baby and he will absolutely get better the next two years. I agree he'll leave if he's not satisfied with his minutes, but I think Fred will want him to stay because he's a bench asset as a post defender and rebounder when other guys are in foul trouble. He's like the "break glass in case of emergency" guy. He should not be playing big minutes but he has a role.

I also don't think Breidenbach or Mayen at the 5 is a phrase that should be used by a Big 10 team that wants to finish above .500. How many years do we have to watch team after team with REAL bigs destroy us before we finally figure that out? We need a couple more Walkers, only bigger. Not soft tall guys that like to shoot 3s.
Great post. Yvan is still our top offensive rebounder despite being benched most of the last several games. If he's willing to be the "break-glass-in-case-of-emergency" guy, that's cool.

Reactions: mgbreis
ADVERTISEMENT