ADVERTISEMENT

Hoibergers +13.5 against Illinois

SomedayHusker

All-American
Oct 26, 2019
Omaha
I hit Illinois live moneyline when we were up 12-5 because I love money. Illinois clanking a lot of 3’s so far. Those will fall eventually at home. Just hope we see some promise from some younger guys.

It happened. First time this season that I was completely unaware that we had a game. Nebrasketball baby!

Reactions: leodisflowers
I was watching a HS game, tuned in just in time to see Wilcher get a layup blocked. But damn, that was quite a flurry! Tominaga, I'm giving you the green light!

Reactions: SomedayHusker
Two complete horse sh## offensive fouls in a row on the Huskers. AWFUL B1G officials. I would be losing my mind right now if I were Hoiberg.
I actually didn’t mind those calls. Griesel’s could’ve gone either way but you had that arm extension on both by the offensive player that gets called a lot. Little bit of defensive flopping action helps too…Huskers drilling 3’s to gain a 2 point lead! 😵‍💫

I actually didn’t mind those calls. Griesel’s could’ve gone either way but you had that arm extension on both by the offensive player that gets called a lot. Little bit of defensive flopping action helps too…Huskers drilling 3’s to gain a 2 point lead! 😵‍💫
Ummm no. Both of those guys jumped in front of the dribbler and left their feet in a flop. Both were horsesh## calls.

On the CIT bubble
Jim Carrey Chance GIF

Ummm no. Both of those guys jumped in front of the dribbler and left their feet in a flop. Both were horsesh## calls.
Nah man. When that arm extension even *appears* to knock the defender over, it’s called a charge almost every time. That supersedes the defender’s footwork.

What HAS bothered me is how many whistles have been blown, not after a foul happens, but after an undesirable outcome happens, like a missed shot or an Illinois turnover.

What HAS bothered me is how many whistles have been blown, not after a foul happens, but after an undesirable outcome happens, like a missed shot or an Illinois turnover.
I don’t want a raving lunatic, but it sure would be nice to have a coach who looks like he cares, and will stick up for his players . Greisel has been getting assaulted nearly every time he drives, and nothing. He touches a guard 45 feet from the basket—foul.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Nebraska's basketball program is truly an embarrassment for the university. Trev needs to get football turned around, but he will be a legend of on his watch we even can produce a competent basketball program that makes the tournament every few years

I don’t want a raving lunatic, but it sure would be nice to have a coach who looks like he cares, and will stick up for his players . Greisel has been getting assaulted nearly every time he drives, and nothing. He touches a guard 45 feet from the basket—foul.
I would assume he acts disinterested because...he's disinterested. Not only does he not work officials but despite the heavy paycheck doesn't appear to do much bench coaching at all.
I'd like to say I feel bad for his struggles but I just never saw any strong desire for excellence, no intensity, no hunger, no love for what he's doing. It's as if he regrets taking the job. Worst of all there has been almost no program building, no base recruiting. Just go out after the season is over and find someone else's disgruntled, flawed players most of which scatter when the year is over. A program so poorly ran it boggles the mind.

Last edited:

I think it's because he's had two open-heart surgeries and is dependent on a pacemaker. That's why he has to keep calm.

They actually played better than I expected and kept hanging around until the final last 4/5 minutes…

Illini were flat for most of the game which gave Nebraska a fighting chance..

Reactions: dinglefritz
They actually played better than I expected and kept hanging around until the final last 4/5 minutes…

Illini were flat for most of the game which gave Nebraska a fighting chance..
In those last 5-7 minutes it appeared the refs wanted to make sure they didn’t upset the apple cart. Horrible officiating that removed any chance NU had.

Reactions: scarletred
Then he's in the wrong profession.

Was Tom Osborne in the wrong profession? Or Jay Wright or Tony Bennett or Mark Few or TJ Otzelberger? I don't agree with the belief that a coach has to act all crazy like Fran McCaffery or Bo Pelini on the sideline to be successful.

Reactions: mgbreis
Was Tom Osborne in the wrong profession? Or Jay Wright or Tony Bennett or Mark Few or TJ Otzelberger? I don't agree with the belief that a coach has to act all crazy like Fran McCaffery or Bo Pelini on the sideline to be successful.
Never has been a requirement.
kaj-wooden-gettyimages-641303110.jpg

In those last 5-7 minutes it appeared the refs wanted to make sure they didn’t upset the apple cart. Horrible officiating that removed any chance NU had.
There were 6 more fouls (I think) called on NU...So I get the complaining.

With that said, man NU is bad when Walker is not on the floor.

There were 6 more fouls (I think) called on NU...So I get the complaining.

With that said, man NU is bad when Walker is not on the floor.
They’ve been bad with him on the floor too since we lost the other two guys….. Walker is clearly frustrated and not playing as well.

Never has been a requirement.
kaj-wooden-gettyimages-641303110.jpg
I admire the coach who is fully prepared and has done his homework. Wooden and Osborne had great winning percentages.
It was a part of a big package and it created loyalty among the assistants and players.
I am not seeing those things as being the reason for the 'calmness' we see.
No excellence, no loyalty, no future. As in every previous year most of these players will scatter after the season.
There may be many reasons for a lack of showing emotion. I don't think there is a John Wooden quality to ours.

There is a difference to being and manifesting your personality and being physically limited due to medical conditions. You insinuate his demeanor is due to heart problems. Do you know that to be the case?

I have talked with Fred numerous times at football games. He is friendly and accessible. He does seem to be a genuinely nice man. However.....he has failed as a difference maker for basketball. I have stopped watching .....the out come seems to be a fore-gone conclusion these days.

I also do not think that Trev will have the motivation to part ways with Fred this year.

I have talked with Fred numerous times at football games. He is friendly and accessible. He does seem to be a genuinely nice man. However.....he has failed as a difference maker for basketball. I have stopped watching .....the out come seems to be a fore-gone conclusion these days.

I also do not think that Trev will have the motivation to part ways with Fred this year.
you say words to him?

all I can conjure is "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Reactions: moralvictories
Bill Self is one of the nicest/coolest guys you’ll ever meet. But watch him on the sidelines. He’s always fully engaged with the officials and coaching his players hard. There’s a big difference between showing passion and being a raving lunatic.

Reactions: pascal
Bill Self is one of the nicest/coolest guys you’ll ever meet. But watch him on the sidelines. He’s always fully engaged with the officials and coaching his players hard. There’s a big difference between showing passion and being a raving lunatic.
categorizing Bill Self & dead fred hoiberg as "basketball coaches" is akin to referring to a tabby & a lion as "cats"

and honestly Bill & fred might be farther apart

Then he needs to find another line of work.

Would you have said that in 2015 after he won the Big 12 tournament twice and let ISU to the Sweet 16? After 4 straight seasons with at least 23 wins?

Maybe those 4 years were a fluke, but Hoiberg has shown in the past that he can coach. Unfortunately it seems like he just isn't able to recruit a roster of guys that can compete in the Big Ten.

Would you have said that in 2015 after he won the Big 12 tournament twice and let ISU to the Sweet 16? After 4 straight seasons with at least 23 wins?

Maybe those 4 years were a fluke, but Hoiberg has shown in the past that he can coach. Unfortunately it seems like he just isn't able to recruit a roster of guys that can compete in the Big Ten.
Do you realize its 2023 and he hasn't had a winning team in those eight years. I can't explain why he was pretty successful and ISU and flopped so badly in the pro's and NU. But eight years with a losing record... my, how do you keep your job with that?

They tried to get Self... He said no thanks
I am not sure how this enters the conversation. We are talking about the job performance of Fred Hoiburg. I never saw the rumor that we tried to hire Self as some kind of binary situation of getting a real good coach named Bill Self or getting a poor to mediocre coach.
There are many other excellent coaches.

Do you realize its 2023 and he hasn't had a winning team in those eight years. I can't explain why he was pretty successful and ISU and flopped so badly in the pro's and NU. But eight years with a losing record... my, how do you keep your job with that?

I don't disagree, I'm just saying his coaching style/heart condition didn't prevent him from winning a ton of games at Iowa State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT