ADVERTISEMENT

Hoiberg sent to the hospital

Sore throat and a cough are the hallmarks of COVID-19 initially. As far as we know he wasn't coughing. I don't think we know what symptoms he was having and really up until maybe today the CDC was still hanging on the idea that they weren't testing people without a predisposing travel history or contact with a know positive. What do you do? You're in Indiana. You get a runny nose and headache and have a game to coach? Put yourself in his shoes.
A year ago nobody would have thought anything but Fred got sick and had to go to the hospital nothing more nothing less

There are other illnesses. I am on round two of antibiotics for a sinus infection.....my head is pounding. No cough, no sore throat. My nares are red and inflammed. I am tender over my sinuses....they drain when heat is applied. Should I lock myself in my house? NO.

I get that people are fearful. But bashing coach before the facts are known is wrong. And who needs to be fired are the journalist who are creating this media frenzy!

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Michael Jordan is legend because he killed it in a playoff game while dying from the flu. Earlier this winter, I was sick for close to a month with what sounds like a lot of the same symptoms of this current craze. I had a fever over 100 for a day. I broke the fever and spent the next week being awaken all night by my uncontrollable coughing. That passed and then i spent several more weeks feeling like crap and hacking up phlegm from my lungs. It took me over a month to feel like my lungs were clear again. Did I have the death virus before anyone was talking about it here? I think I had a normal case of the crud.

Michael Jordan is legend because he killed it in a playoff game while dying from the flu. Earlier this winter, I was sick for close to a month with what sounds like a lot of the same symptoms of this current craze. I had a fever over 100 for a day. I broke the fever and spent the next week being awaken all night by my uncontrollable coughing. That passed and then i spent several more weeks feeling like crap and hacking up phlegm from my lungs. It took me over a month to feel like my lungs were clear again. Did I have the death virus before anyone was talking about it here? I think I had a normal case of the crud.

That sucks. Did you get a flu shot this year?

That sucks. Did you get a flu shot this year?
Yup. About a month and a half before that. It was probably just a pretty bad chest cold that most of my shift suffered from. It was brutal. My shift had what could be considered catastrophic shortages during that time. There was one day I was miserable working literally one side of the county myself while a Sgt. and another guy worked the other side. I was not very happy that day.

Reactions: newAD
I've had pneumonia and not known it. You work through it

I've worked 100+ feet up, sometimes without a harness and strap.

I worked on 1 in pipes or smaller, within 6in between and had to trust your life on it. Either side was a fall to your death. You work through it.

I did this at 25.

Last edited:
Reactions: resdog851
You probably have Hep C.

I've had pneumonia and not known it. You work through it

I've worked 100+ feet up, sometimes without a harness and strap.

I worked on 1 in pipes or smaller, within 6in between and had to trust your life on it. Either side was a fall to your death. You work through it.

I did this at 25.
So we've now advanced from 400 pound bench presses and 4.4 40's to bragging about who survived the worst cold or had the crappiest, unsafe jobs. Will someone please tell their stories from Iraq and drop the mic so we can shut this thread down?

I’m on the tail end of having influenza A and It was bullshit! The flu shot didn’t do a great job of covering it this year!

Reactions: OzzyLvr
So we've now advanced from 400 pound bench presses and 4.4 40's to bragging about who survived the worst cold or had the crappiest, unsafe jobs. Will someone please tell their stories from Iraq and drop the mic so we can shut this thread down?
I killed 40 Nephilim on Planet X while suffering from super-AIDS which I cured with self-applied chiropractic therapy. Suck on THAT.

A year ago nobody would have thought anything but Fred got sick and had to go to the hospital nothing more nothing less

this certainly wasn't the tone a week ago when a young women in Omaha with initial mild symptoms was found to have C-19.

I believe the prevailing question was how could this "bitch" go out in public with mild viral symptoms - how reckless

that was a week ago before the heightened awareness around this issue

https://nebraska.forums.rivals.com/...happen-as-covid-19.263386/page-7#post-5846628

Last edited:
Reactions: dinglefritz
Oh man...it has been awhile since we had a good "When I was over in Iraq..." post.

Influenza A is bad this year. We all had flu shots in our house but I caught it, and so did the 3 year old and the baby.

Baby was fine in like a day, 3 year old and I had it worse. Everyone got tamiflu but I was about 5-6 full days to feel mostly normal. It's been almost 2 weeks and the runny nose still isn't gone.

The fever and fatigue combo will get you, just going up some stairs will really make you feel it.

So have you at any time went to work with a cold of feeling poorly? Just curious

you mean have I ever been to work with flu -like symptoms since billion dollar industries/events decided to forego attendance, schools have closed, and Italy has started rationing health services - such that no one older than 70 gets into an ICU or gets a ventilator but instead is offered comfort measures rather than ICU care if things decline- no I haven't

Last edited:
Turns out he had Influenza A, which is pretty contagious and really awful, but only knocks you out for about 3 days if you are healthy. Still, very scary.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Sounds like he got checked out by a Dr and cleared, before he decided to coach the game.

thank you for posting -- I'm sure Fred would never have done anything reckless in this regard

I'm not sure how quickly things escalated after seeing the doctor - fever, etc, etc
if there was a thought he had the flu - there shouldn't be clearance

this is why things are getting cancelled - it is too hard to clear or not clear people based on symptoms as they can range from very mild to severe and there isn't rapid testing available

Reactions: headcard
Yup. About a month and a half before that. It was probably just a pretty bad chest cold that most of my shift suffered from. It was brutal. My shift had what could be considered catastrophic shortages during that time. There was one day I was miserable working literally one side of the county myself while a Sgt. and another guy worked the other side. I was not very happy that day.
A friend worked with a father of two in his 30's who died of the flu last year. There's a lot of bad stuff out there. Whatever you had, and powered through, may have been fatal to a cancer patient or elderly person. And with COVID 19 being far worse, I can see why the adults of the US are trying to slow it down.

In retrospect. Fred should have told the announcers he was not feeling well, had been cleared and was going to try and coach/finish the game. That way they could have shared that news with the people watching the game.

A friend worked with a father of two in his 30's who died of the flu last year. There's a lot of bad stuff out there. Whatever you had, and powered through, may have been fatal to a cancer patient or elderly person. And with COVID 19 being far worse, I can see why the adults of the US are trying to slow it down.
I've tried to tell people who refuse to get flu shots that. IF you're the one in a thousand young healthy people who get the flu and develop a fatal myocarditis from it, statistics don't mean shit.

I've tried to tell people who refuse to get flu shots that. IF you're the one in a thousand young healthy people who get the flu and develop a fatal myocarditis from it, statistics don't mean shit.
I’ve had a number of people say they won’t get the flu shot because they got it once and got really sick from the shot. And no way on Gods green earth can you convince them you can’t get to flu from the shot

Reactions: dinglefritz
Our teenage son had a 8-day fever. Flu virus, turned into a little pneumonia...or so they told us. According to the news, and the run on toilet paper at Walmart, it had to have been Corona. I am now retroactively freaking out.Eek

ADVERTISEMENT