ADVERTISEMENT

Hoiberg and 3 assistants had severe symptoms of COVID-19

artguy68

Junior
Nov 3, 2008
I don't believe it has been reported on HOL.

Hoiberg told ESPN that he and three of his coaches has severe symptoms of the virus. 9 players has mild symptoms or were asymptomatic. With a pacemaker and two prior heart surgeries, he has serious reasons to be concerned. I know COVID effects can come back, or cause long term damage that isn't apparent initially. Let's keep coach in our thoughts.

Quick, someone get him in touch with c3o so he can share some YouTube videos showing that covid is a conspiracy and remind coach that 99% of people survive. Then coach can get on with his life.
Uh huh, I'm certain that he believes that nobody with compromised health can get seriously ill or die from it. Great post.

Last edited:
Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan

Hoiberg told ESPN that he and three of his coaches has severe symptoms of the virus. 9 players has mild symptoms or were asymptomatic. With a pacemaker and two prior heart surgeries, he has serious reasons to be concerned. I know COVID effects can come back, or cause long term damage that isn't apparent initially. Let's keep coach in our thoughts.

What is the long term damage that it causes that isnt initially apparent. I will pray for coach and the team

Andre had COVID early in the season, so he should have been able to at least work out the last few weeks. Not sure if anybody escaped the virus. Oh and Banton tweaked an ankle, so ... Oy.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Quick, someone get him in touch with c3o so he can share some YouTube videos showing that covid is a conspiracy and remind coach that 99% of people survive. Then coach can get on with his life.
Sh*t... that's nothing. Why not just skip getting tested and tough it out & go to work anyway. What could go wrong?

Surprised that so many had severe symptoms. I would assume they were all in reasonable good shape.

Surprised that so many had severe symptoms. I would assume they were all in reasonable good shape.
Being in shape helps, as does youth and taking things that boost your immune system. But none of it is an absolute protection, unfortunately.

What is the long term damage that it causes that isnt initially apparent. I will pray for coach and the team
Apparently, the virus can permanently damage the heart, lungs, or nervous system, which isn't known until the deterioration grows. Like a crack in glass that gradually lengthens until the glass breaks.

Apparently, the virus can permanently damage the heart, lungs, or nervous system, which isn't known until the deterioration grows. Like a crack in glass that gradually lengthens until the glass breaks.

Apparently? Says who?

Apparently? Says who?

I have a friend whose mother spent 2 weeks in the ICU. The doctors said her lungs look like shattered glass. They have no idea if she will ever recover. And if she does they have no idea how long it will take. Based-on the images and extent of the damage they assume she will have breathing problems for the rest of her life.

I have a friend whose mother spent 2 weeks in the ICU. The doctors said her lungs look like shattered glass. They have no idea if she will ever recover. And if she does they have no idea how long it will take. Based-on the images and extent of the damage they assume she will have breathing problems for the rest of her life.
That is immediatley apparent to the doctors. The statement was that there are long term affects to covid that arent initially apparent, as in Coach has seemingly fully recovered, but there could be something from covid that could get him a later date. I want to know who is saying this, and why.

That is immediatley apparent to the doctors. The statement was that there are long term affects to covid that arent initially apparent, as in Coach has seemingly fully recovered, but there could be something from covid that could get him a later date. I want to know who is saying this, and why.
Well. Considering some people are asymptomatic and some people die, I think it’s safe to say there is a huge, unknown spectrum which will include long term, chronic illness that could eventually cause pre-mature death.

That's a guess, nothing more. The statement was made as if it was some sort of verifiable medical opinion. I asked for the source. If the source isnt an expert, then save it.

That's a guess, nothing more. The statement was made as if it was some sort of verifiable medical opinion. I asked for the source. If the source isnt an expert, then save it.

Fourth paragraph discusses some of the known long term issues with people who have mild covid and even test negative, despite having the disease. I don’t think we will know the outcomes for many years, but CFS seems to be discussed with relative frequency and seems more prevalent than with other viral illnesses, especially among those with mild disease. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is long lasting (years), severely debilitating, has no cure, and will cost the country billions in lost productivity and healthcare/disability.

This study is old but was already documenting some of the long term manifestations of Covid and it highlights some related studies that discuss how other common viral illnesses have been found to exacerbate underlying neurologic issues, which speeds up disease state, due to inflammation (seems to be a HUGE issue with Covid) and other mechanisms.

Learning these effects will take years. And maybe we will never know if a stroke three years down the road is a direct sequelae of your Covid infection in 2020, but if you have a risk of dementia or heart disease, it’s possible a mild illness took years or decades off your life without you even knowing it.

Reactions: artguy68

Fourth paragraph discusses some of the known long term issues with people who have mild covid and even test negative, despite having the disease. I don’t think we will know the outcomes for many years, but CFS seems to be discussed with relative frequency and seems more prevalent than with other viral illnesses, especially among those with mild disease. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is long lasting (years), severely debilitating, has no cure, and will cost the country billions in lost productivity and healthcare/disability.

This study is old but was already documenting some of the long term manifestations of Covid and it highlights some related studies that discuss how other common viral illnesses have been found to exacerbate underlying neurologic issues, which speeds up disease state, due to inflammation (seems to be a HUGE issue with Covid) and other mechanisms.

Learning these effects will take years. And maybe we will never know if a stroke three years down the road is a direct sequelae of your Covid infection in 2020, but if you have a risk of dementia or heart disease, it’s possible a mild illness took years or decades off your life without you even knowing it.
Agree, we wont know the outcome for many years.

Depends on lots of factors including viral dose and viral load (how much virus you are exposed to and how much you take in). That's why safety measures are so important. I've heard it compared to getting a sunburn-- the guy who was out in the sun all day would have a more severe sunburn than if he came inside or used sunblock, etc.

Reactions: dinglefritz
have you looked at Doc? He's in a high risk group at the very least. Fred has a pacemaker. IF you're over 30 your risk goes up every year regardless of your physical fitness. Yes it helps immensely to be physically fit, but man if you're over 50 and have some health problem, you still carry more risk.

Some of us deal with the longer term effects of having had a severe influenza infection. It isn't just COVID and yet only about half of Americans will get a flu shot. Long term effects from COVID won't be the norm for the vast majority of Americans but there will be plenty who have problems.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT