ADVERTISEMENT

Hodge decommitting

I wouldnt say that. He’s a 5.7 3 star JUCO LB and we may have turned him down for a top 115 4 star OLB in Kaden Johnson...not sure how that would be a huge miss?
I don’t think it’s that cut and dry. We were recruiting him as a ILB and don’t currently have a single ILB commit. It’s clear, from his own tweet, that Nebraska backed off him or that he didn’t have a commutable offer in the first place, but I don’t think that’s why. Of course I am just guessing too.

Reactions: oldjar07
I don’t think it’s that cut and dry. We were recruiting him as a ILB and don’t currently have a single ILB commit. It’s clear, from his own tweet, that Nebraska backed off him or that he didn’t have a commutable offer in the first place, but I don’t think that’s why. Of course I am just guessing too.

right and you’re probably dead on. But like I pointed out before he’s also listed as a OLB on 24/7. ILB on rivals and OLB on 24/7....to me that says he’s a LB that can play both. Hard telling which LB we recruited him for. But overall, I agree...this one isn’t cut and dry. Outside the Coaches pulled his offer.

https://247sports.com/Player/Jamoi-Hodge-46094845/

edited actually he’s listed as a OLB not ILB at all.

Reactions: headcard
Considering how thin we are at LB both inside and outside, I find it hard to believe it is just because we might get KJ. Are we sure that KJ's LSU ship has sailed yet? We need more than one. So they either have a few LBs lined up or there is something else they didn't like about him.

Reactions: cvogele29
He was involuntarily decommitted by the coaches. Probably something uncovered in his past.

Iowa has their own worries. Losing Nate Stanley and AJ Epenesa, your best DB, top LB, both DTs, possibly your best OT Wirfs (to the draft), starting OG and a few others is going to hurt you guys bad. Nate and AJ made your team, hell had AJ Epenesa not played in the Husker game, Iowa loses to the Huskers. So yeah, Iowa has their own worries my man...you guys are in trouble starting next year....GBR

AJ has played and dominated Nebraska ONLY the last 2 season. Meanwhile Iowa has kicked out ass 5 years in a row yet you NOT worried right???

Has it occurred to you that Iowa keeps reloading OL, DL and TE's that keep getting drafted every year?? Even when Pelini was kicking their asses they kept sending dudes to the NFL. We need to worry bout Why Nebraska can't do that year for year and putting down teams that own us...

Last edited:
Reactions: SWIowahawks
AJ has played and dominated Nebraska ONLY the last 2 season. Meanwhile Iowa has kicked out ass 5 years in a row yet you NOT worried right???

Has it occurred to you that Iowa keeps reloading OL, DL and TE's that keep getting drafted every year?? Even when Pelini was kicking their assets they kept sending dudes to the NFL. We need to worry bout Why Nebraska can't do that year for year and putting down teams that own us...
Iowa sucks.

Has it occurred to you that Iowa keeps reloading OL, DL and TE's that keep getting drafted every year?? Even when Pelini was kicking their assets they kept sending dudes to the NFL. We need to worry bout Why Nebraska can't do that year for year and putting down teams that own us...
Understand the difference between not being as good as a team right now and wanting to be just like them.

Yes, NU needs to get to Iowa's level on its way up. This should not be done by emulating the Iowa formula in terms of anything other than player development and playing with discipline. As evidenced by their zero conference titles the last 15 years. They were co-champs '02 and '04 and since then have only one division title.

So saying NU should be like Iowa because they get linemen and TEs in the league is like saying NU should be like Indiana because they get WRs and RBs in the league. Yes, we lost to both teams, but neither of them is the model.

NU needs to recruit with OSU, Michigan, and PSU along with developing players like Iowa/Wisonsin/NU of old, or we'll be watching the same teams hoist trophies every year. Period.

He was involuntarily decommitted by the coaches. Probably something uncovered in his past.
Like being a whiny baby on twitter rather than being mature about it moving on? Yeah seems like the right call was made

Understand the difference between not being as good as a team right now and wanting to be just like them.

Yes, NU needs to get to Iowa's level on its way up. This should not be done by emulating the Iowa formula in terms of anything other than player development and playing with discipline. As evidenced by their zero conference titles the last 15 years. They were co-champs '02 and '04 and since then have only one division title.

So saying NU should be like Iowa because they get linemen and TEs in the league is like saying NU should be like Indiana because they get WRs and RBs in the league. Yes, we lost to both teams, but neither of them is the model.

NU needs to recruit with OSU, Michigan, and PSU along with developing players like Iowa/Wisonsin/NU of old, or we'll be watching the same teams hoist trophies every year. Period.
Iowa finished the year by barely beating Nebraska and Illinois...two of the worst teams in the conference. They perpetually play a slog it out style which keeps games close...whether against good or bad teams. They normally lose to good teams and barely beat bad teams...I think if they hired a homerun coach they would immediately be in a BCS game because they have always had NFL talent all over their roster.

Iowa has their own worries. Losing Nate Stanley and AJ Epenesa, your best DB, top LB, both DTs, possibly your best OT Wirfs (to the draft), starting OG and a few others is going to hurt you guys bad. Nate and AJ made your team, hell had AJ Epenesa not played in the Husker game, Iowa loses to the Huskers. So yeah, Iowa has their own worries my man...you guys are in trouble starting next year....GBR
After losing two underclassmen to the NFL last year on defense, it seems they reloaded pretty well.

Iowa isn't losing to the Huskers in the near future.

After losing two underclassmen to the NFL last year on defense, it seems they reloaded pretty well.

Ok. Iowa has to kick the game winning field goal on the last play of the game 2 years in a row against 2 husker teams with losing records.

So yeah, once we finish turning it around, Nebraska will win plenty against Iowa. Every year? Not likely. Most years? Sure.

thats funny. With an NFL QB and a top 10 draft pick in AJ Epenesa...you guys still barely beat us. If you guys lose both players...look out. Because you guys won’t just replace or reload Nate Stanley and AJ Epenesa...and your guys call us delusional...LMFAO. You may reload with the other guys, but not with Nate Stanley and AJ...lol. You guys are NOT OSU, PSU or even Michigan so stop acting like beating Iowa is something big and impossible to do...we already about done it the past 2 years with a horrible team. Again, you guys barely squeaked out a win with Nate Stanley and AJ Epenesa playing. If you guys lose both players...you won’t just replace those two, that’s stupid thinking.

Reactions: dinglefritz
thats funny. With an NFL QB and a top 10 draft pick in AJ Epenesa...you guys still barely beat us. If you guys lose both players...look out. Because you guys won’t just replace or reload Nate Stanley and AJ Epenesa...and your guys call us delusional...LMFAO. You guys are OSU, PSU or even Michigan, again you guys barely squeaked our a win with Nate Stanley and AJ Epenesa playing. If you guys lose both players...you won’t just replace those two, that’s stupid thinking.
there is a zero percent chance nate stanley ever starts a game in the NFL.

I definitely won’t disagree there...believe that. I was only making a point this was one of those rare times Iowa had a legit QB the last two years. They don’t have another on roster after Nate. They will not just replace and reload players like Nate Stanley and AJ Epenesa at Iowa. It just won’t happen. The only reason, ONLY reason they had AJ was because AJs daddy played at Iowa. Take that away, AJ Epenesa is playing for a big time school somewhere else...not slumming it at Iowa the past few years.

Last edited:

There is little doubt in my mind that at some point my Miami Dolphins will probably have Stanley starting at QB in the next 5 years. Adding to their lustrous list since 2000 that includes Damon Huard, Jay Fiedler, Ray Lucus, AJ Feeley, Sage Rosenfels, Cleo Lemon, John Beck, Tyler Thigpen, Brock Osweiler, just to name a few.

I had to check the date of this post because you spent all off season saying the EXACT same thing. Iowa is steady and in position to reload enough talent to win 8+ games every year. I’m less concerned about the Nebraska game next year, than I was going into this season.

thats funny. With an NFL QB and a top 10 draft pick in AJ Epenesa...you guys still barely beat us. If you guys lose both players...look out. Because you guys won’t just replace or reload Nate Stanley and AJ Epenesa...and your guys call us delusional...LMFAO. You may reload with the other guys, but not with Nate Stanley and AJ...lol. You guys are NOT OSU, PSU or even Michigan so stop acting like beating Iowa is something big and impossible to do...we already about done it the past 2 years with a horrible team. Again, you guys barely squeaked out a win with Nate Stanley and AJ Epenesa playing. If you guys lose both players...you won’t just replace those two, that’s stupid thinking.

Where have I heard this argument before?? Oh wait, it was last year! Same lame excuses. Guess we couldn't replace two of our own, Stanley and Ozigbo.

Yes, gets so frustrating hearing people say we need to be more like Iowa. The F we do. Like you said, outside of being great a developing players I don't want Nebraska to be anything like them. We had a coach who emulated the Iowa model, his name was BO. He even beat them 3 out of 4 years. Granted yes we need to get to that point on our way up, but long term, nope. That would suck if Iowa "success" is the best we can achiever from here on out.

There is little doubt in my mind that at some point my Miami Dolphins will probably have Stanley starting at QB in the next 5 years. Adding to their lustrous list since 2000 that includes Damon Huard, Jay Fiedler, Ray Lucus, AJ Feeley, Sage Rosenfels, Cleo Lemon, John Beck, Tyler Thigpen, Brock Osweiler, just to name a few.
Hey Rosenfels was actually a pretty good QB for my Vikings. Probably better than Cousins.

So you ALMOST beat Iowa the last two years?

In elementary school, that gets you a "participation" trophy. Moral victories is all this once proud program can claim.:eek:

Like being a whiny baby on twitter rather than being mature about it moving on? Yeah seems like the right call was made

I think he only responded to some idiot on twitter attacking him for his short time he was committed to Nebraska.

Ok. Iowa has to kick the game winning field goal on the last play of the game 2 years in a row against 2 husker teams with losing records.

So yeah, once we finish turning it around, Nebraska will win plenty against Iowa. Every year? Not likely. Most years? Sure.
Moral victories!

Fans don't worry, or shouldn't worry, about how close a game was. The only question is did you win or lose. Huskers working on a five game losing streak against anyone is concerning for Nebraska fans.

But hey..........those highly rated recruiting classes.:p

I think it was the fact that he took a visit to SMU after committing here, and told an SMU reporter that he only committed here to save a spot.

We are still in on a lot of good linebackers, so we couldn't afford to take someone that isn't 100% committed. We're still in good shape with Kaden Johnson, Jamari Butler, Niko Cooper, Eteva Mauga, and now we're getting a visit from Keyshawn Greene.

Moral victories!

Fans don't worry, or shouldn't worry, about how close a game was. The only question is did you win or lose. Huskers working on a five game losing streak against anyone is concerning for Nebraska fans.

Congrats on whatever it is you are bragging about. If only you had a message board where someone might care...

We will be seeing an upgrade in Lb talent fairly soon. Assuming we get Kaden Johnson like it looks. That’s....

Kaden Johnson OLB (5.9 4 star Top 120 player)...Nick Henrichs ILB (5.9 4 star top 105 player)....Jackson Hannah ILB (5.8 4 star)....Garrett Nelson/Blaise Gunnerson OLB both 5.6-5.7 3 star talents...Gunnerson is a 4 star on 24/7)

assuming those guys pan out at all...that’s a legit LB crew for the 3-4 system. We need to get some depth though.

Am I the only one who is a bit concerned that Henrich and Hannah didn't see any time at all this year outside of special teams? I know Henrich was coming off of an injury, but as much as we struggled at ILB this year, I was surprised that neither saw any snaps at LB this season

Moral victories!

Not surprised you missed my point. You’re an Iowa fan and all... I’m not bragging about almost beating iowa. We lost.

But guess what? We’ve been pretty bad the last several years and it still game down to a field goal on the last play of the game each of the last two years for you. When things start clicking for the huskers, your prediction that it’ll be a long time before Nebraska beats Iowa will make you look as dumb as you do already, and you won’t have any defense for that.

Good job!

Moral victories!

You are joking right?

We routinely have Iowa fans over here saying things like “we are 3 TD’s from being undefeated.” And that doesn’t even begin to get in to the pride Iowa fans feel for keeping games close.

Am I the only one who is a bit concerned that Henrich and Hannah didn't see any time at all this year outside of special teams? I know Henrich was coming off of an injury, but as much as we struggled at ILB this year, I was surprised that neither saw any snaps at LB this season
Henrich wasn't gonna play much coming off that shoulder surgery. After his last couple years I'm just hoping he can stay healthy long enough to get on the field.

At some point we need to come back to the reality of understanding that most true freshman are not ready to be impact players. I know our ILBs weren't terrific but you don't need to burn a kid's redshirt so that you can say you watched a freshman be not terrific instead.

Don't forget they really like what they got with Reimer at ILB. They did burn his redshirt, so you can probably start thinking of him as though he were a scholarship ILB in the 19 class. We'll see if they actually give him a scholly.

I'll be interested to see how many LBs they finally sign. I suspect they're going to really load up on bodies.

Reactions: timnsun
Iowa finished the year by barely beating Nebraska and Illinois...two of the worst teams in the conference. They perpetually play a slog it out style which keeps games close...whether against good or bad teams. They normally lose to good teams and barely beat bad teams...I think if they hired a homerun coach they would immediately be in a BCS game because they have always had NFL talent all over their roster.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with this comment. Iowa isn't loaded with NFL talent coming into their program. They take average recruiting classes and develop them into solid college players that have a chance to make it to the league. In some cases getting drafted very high. Their lines on both sides of the ball are almost always scrappy and physical.

They have been running the same systems for 20 years now, so they know exactly what they want in players they are recruiting. They develop players as well as any team in the B1G, and if Frost and Co. don't do the same, we are going to be in a dogfight every year with them.

We need to start seeing our better recruiting classes paying dividends, by seeing some development by the coaches. If our coaches are as good as Frost says they are, we should start beating Iowa with regularity. We need to start seeing the difference on the field as we continue to bring better talent than Iowa's into our program. If we don't see a fairly drastic change in the offense and defense next year, fans are going to start getting very vocal.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with this comment. Iowa isn't loaded with NFL talent coming into their program. They take average recruiting classes and develop them into solid college players that have a chance to make it to the league. In some cases getting drafted very high. Their lines on both sides of the ball are almost always scrappy and physical.

They have been running the same systems for 20 years now, so they know exactly what they want in players they are recruiting. They develop players as well as any team in the B1G, and if Frost and Co. don't do the same, we are going to be in a dogfight every year with them.

We need to start seeing our better recruiting classes paying dividends, by seeing some development by the coaches. If our coaches are as good as Frost says they are, we should start beating Iowa with regularity. We need to start seeing the difference on the field as we continue to bring better talent than Iowa's into our program. If we don't see a fairly drastic change in the offense and defense next year, fans are going to start getting very vocal.
citing continuity as a primary reason for one team's success while, just a single paragraph later, heating up the seat of a pre-3rd year coach unless fairly drastic changes are seen is some galaxy brain posting.

ADVERTISEMENT