ADVERTISEMENT

Hodge decommitting

If that was the case, why not ask Aho to move on? Hodge was the closest thing I've seen to a Lavonte David type. Aho looks like an Alex Davis clone.
Where you saying this when he was actually committed to us? Don’t seem to remember your positivity on this kid when he was N, but now that he is gone he is Lavonte David 2.0.

If that was the case, why not ask Aho to move on? Hodge was the closest thing I've seen to a Lavonte David type. Aho looks like an Alex Davis clone.

Might also have something to do with the fact that Hodge visited SMU last weekend and told an SMU reporter that he only committed to Nebraska to save a spot. The coaches probably didn't like that.

Hodge only has one other Power 5 offer (Arizona), almost all of his offers are FCS schools. So either he is not that impressive of a prospect, or there is another issue that is keeping Power 5 schools away from him. The fact that neither K-State nor Kansas is recruiting him says something. I believe Lavonte David had quite a few offers from Big 12 and SEC schools. Even Will Honas had a ton of Power 5 offers. The top players at the Kansas JUCOs rarely go unnoticed.

Where you saying this when he was actually committed to us? Don’t seem to remember your positivity on this kid when he was N, but now that he is gone he is Lavonte David 2.0.
Yes I did. His film is fantastic. He can cover receivers better than some of our corners. Meanwhile, Aho looks thoroughly average at best.

I think the coaches are higher on the 2 JUCO LBs visiting this weekend (Mauga and Butler). Plus we are still in good shape with Kaden Johnson and Jared Ivey.
Only thing is, all four of those guys are OLB's and Hodge was our only ILB commit.

Reactions: HuskerLLM
I believe former Husker Matt Finnin is the OC at Hodge's JUCO. Not necessarily relevant but interesting.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Seems like it.

Jo Jo should lose about 10 pounds and so should Honas.

JoJo is 235 and Honas is 225.

Wisconsin's starting OLB's are 230 and 235 and their MLB's are 225 and 223. They run a 3-4

OSU runs a 4-3 and their star OLB Malik Harrison is over 240 and their MLB is 230

Iowa's AJ Epenesa is at 280 and he's their best pass rusher and their MLB is 240. They run a 4-2-5

Hell in the NFL the top OLB's are all pushing 250.

Size isn't the issue here.

JoJo is 235 and Honas is 225.

Wisconsin's starting OLB's are 230 and 235 and their MLB's are 225 and 223. They run a 3-4

OSU runs a 4-3 and their star OLB Malik Harrison is over 240 and their MLB is 230

Iowa's AJ Epenesa is at 280 and he's their best pass rusher and their MLB is 240. They run a 4-2-5

Hell in the NFL the top OLB's are all pushing 250.

Size isn't the issue here.

What we are asking Jo Jo to do he needs to lose 10

And Wisconsin is to slow against good teams which is why they havent won nothing

Might also have something to do with the fact that Hodge visited SMU last weekend and told an SMU reporter that he only committed to Nebraska to save a spot. The coaches probably didn't like that.

Hodge only has one other Power 5 offer (Arizona), almost all of his offers are FCS schools. So either he is not that impressive of a prospect, or there is another issue that is keeping Power 5 schools away from him. The fact that neither K-State nor Kansas is recruiting him says something. I believe Lavonte David had quite a few offers from Big 12 and SEC schools. Even Will Honas had a ton of Power 5 offers. The top players at the Kansas JUCOs rarely go unnoticed.

I believe you are right. Our coaches have been tolerant of commits taking visits, but SMU? Really? I think that did have something to do with it. Hodge is a good prospect, but he is a smaller guy. I do not see him projecting to inside LB. I think he's really more of an outside LB in the mold of a Gifford or Domman.

Aho runs a 4.6, Alex Davis 4.74 (avg)

Not impressed with Ahos film at de, and skeptical of him at olb. With that being said, I think he could make for a great project at ILB. He's got more of the frame for it anyways, and could really disrupt run lanes up the middle. Perhaps blitz well too. Wonder about coverage since he's not used to it, but he is somewhat fast for his size.

Reactions: maplesyrup95
LB recruiting this year has been quite a sh*t show. I really hope they close strong.
Two commits quickly de-committing, losing close battles on several other top targets, and it’s coming down to the wire for a position group that was easily one of the weakest on the team... we got Blaise which is fantastic, but it’s not nearly enough.

Without more talent infusion, we’d be really putting pressure on last year’s group to all develop into key players or we’re gonna continue to have issues there.

LB recruiting this year has been quite a sh*t show. I really hope they close strong.
Two commits quickly de-committing, losing close battles on several other top targets, and it’s coming down to the wire for a position group that was easily one of the weakest on the team... we got Blaise which is fantastic, but it’s not nearly enough.

Without more talent infusion, we’d be really putting pressure on last year’s group to all develop into key players or we’re gonna continue to have issues there.
Yep and in a true 3-4, you need 2x the ilb as in a 4-3.

In Nebraska's situation, I don't think the staff can afford to turn ANY defensive players away.

Just the way it is.

At least the Huskers made the front page news on ESPN.

Only thing is, all four of those guys are OLB's and Hodge was our only ILB commit.

actually on 24/7 Hodge is listed as a OLB. Who knows why or what happened. One thing we know for sure is Kaden Johnson appears to be as close to a lock as we can get and if the staff pulled out on Hodge, there’s got to be a reason for it. The way Hodge seemed pissed in that interview with him, it definitely appears we backed out. Maybe it’s that Maryland 4 star LB that’s wanting to visit?

Reactions: HominidHusker
We will be seeing an upgrade in Lb talent fairly soon. Assuming we get Kaden Johnson like it looks. That’s....

Kaden Johnson OLB (5.9 4 star Top 120 player)...Nick Henrichs ILB (5.9 4 star top 105 player)....Jackson Hannah ILB (5.8 4 star)....Garrett Nelson/Blaise Gunnerson OLB both 5.6-5.7 3 star talents...Gunnerson is a 4 star on 24/7)

assuming those guys pan out at all...that’s a legit LB crew for the 3-4 system. We need to get some depth though.

Seems like it.

Jo Jo should lose about 10 pounds and so should Honas.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with Jojo.
I believe we're recruiting Mauga is an Inside LB for the 3-4 defense
would be concerning. He’s 210 pounds. You don’t take Juco guys that are not physically ready at their position. I’ve been trying to figure out what the Mauga offer is. Not sure. Maybe same role as Domann?

In Nebraska's situation, I don't think the staff can afford to turn ANY defensive players away.

Just the way it is.

Iowa has their own worries. Losing Nate Stanley and AJ Epenesa, your best DB, top LB, both DTs, possibly your best OT Wirfs (to the draft), starting OG and a few others is going to hurt you guys bad. Nate and AJ made your team, hell had AJ Epenesa not played in the Husker game, Iowa loses to the Huskers. So yeah, Iowa has their own worries my man...you guys are in trouble starting next year....GBR

Iowa has their own worries. Losing Nate Stanley and AJ Epenesa, your best DB, top LB, both DTs, possibly your best OT Wirfs (to the draft), starting OG and a few others is going to hurt you guys bad. Nate and AJ made your team, hell had AJ Epenesa not played in the Husker game, Iowa loses to the Huskers. So yeah, Iowa has their own worries my man...you guys are in trouble starting next year....GBR
Their Jr class is really good. Of course they could lose AJE, Whirfs and Alaric Jackson to the draft.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Their Jr class is really good. Of course they could lose AJE, Whirfs and Alaric Jackson to the draft.

And that’s just it. Our biggest worries where Nate Stanley, AJ Epenesa and both OTs. The rest of their team isn’t to scary... AJ will most definitely leave this year along with Wirfs. We will have to see about Jackson. My guess, Jackson comes back but AJ and Wirfs both leave. AJ would be stupid to come back and risk it all just for another 7-8 win season.

And that’s just it. Our biggest worries where Nate Stanley, AJ Epenesa and both OTs. The rest of their team isn’t to scary... AJ will most definitely leave this year along with Wirfs. We will have to see about Jackson. My guess, Jackson comes back but AJ and Wirfs both leave. AJ would be stupid to come back and risk it all just for another 7-8 win season.
I actually heard Aj is planning to return next year

I actually heard Aj is planning to return next year

let me guess, per Iowa fans? I haven’t seen anything about him returning. If he does, he does. But dude would honestly be stupid to return and risk a season ending injury when he’s a top 10 or better draft pick already. We will most definitely see soon enough.

edited: I actually just now look into it. The word going around is both Wirfs and Epenesa are still unknowns. Some expect them to return and some expect both to leave early. So I’ll hold off on my AJ and Wirfs leaving talk. We will wait and see what happens with those 2.

Last edited:
He’s 210 pounds. You don’t take Juco guys that are not physically ready at their position. I’ve been trying to figure out what the Mauga offer is. Not sure. Maybe same role as Domann?

At this point I just want good, tough players who have good instincts and can tackle. Reimer came in as a 195 pound walk-on and already played at ILB as a 220-pound true freshman.

Just the way it is.

Ha! Yeah, your offense didn't make them look too bad.

Reactions: timnsun
And there we have it...some of us had it dead on. Frost and the coaches backed out on him. My guess...Kaden Johnson is why. Happened around the same time we started getting crystal balls for K Johnson too

Yes, I think it is just that we have other OLBs higher on our board - Kaden Johnson, Jamari Butler, and Niko Cooper. Hopefully we don't strike out with all of these 3 guys.

Reactions: huskerssalts
Yes, I think it is just that we have other OLBs higher on our board - Kaden Johnson, Jamari Butler, and Niko Cooper. Hopefully we don't strike out with all of these 3 guys.

agreed. Looks pretty promising and solid on Kaden Johnson but I have no clue on Butler and Cooper. I guess if we get Johnson along with Gunnerson...that’s not a bad OLB class.

That happened to us last year. Didn’t take the commit of that JUCO kid that ended up at LSU and then struck out on all the guys we liked more and felt good about. That’s recruiting, I guess.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT